Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
I still think lantern was somewhat balanced when you could ward it to deny someone. Now that you can't though, and with the change that it will always work even if someone stands on top of it as long as you managed to click it at some point, it's definitely bullshit.

Good thing thresh is poo poo atm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

Ignite Memories posted:

Frankly I don't think league pushes the envelope ENOUGH with champions. I wanna see some loving lost Vikings poo poo up in here.

Could you even imagine abathur on summoner's rift? Now THAT would break the game wide open.

We already have the less insane parts of Abathur with Banner and ZZRot. I'm pleasantly surprised the items haven't been nerfed into the ground.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Work Friend Keven posted:

I'd say it's kind of a rule at riot that ADC ults should be for lane phase or generally not have very strong teamfight/engage impact, and when you look at the champs that break that rule like sivir kalista or ashe they tend to either be completely out of meta or the best pick possible

Ashe: Teamfight ult.

Caitlyn: Sort of a laning phase ult, but it's good for people that are running from team fights too.

Corki: His ult is on such a short CD that you can't really call it teamfight or laning phase, it's his entire playstyle.

Draven: Sort of a laning phase ult, but it's good for clearing big waves without having to run up that lane and it's a decent chunk of AOE damage in teamfights.

Jhin: I'd say it's both a teamfight ult and a lane phase ult.

Jinx: See Draven.

Kalista: Utility ult.

Kog'Maw: See Corki.

Lucian: Both a teamfight ult and a lane phase ult, probably in about equal measure.

MF: Both a teamfight ult and a lane phase ult, more teamfight than laning phase.

Quinn: Definitely more useful in lategame than it is early game.

Sivir: Utility Ult.

Trist: Has both teamfight and laning phase implications.

Twitch: Teamfight ult, some laning phase.

Urgot: Teamfight ult, some laning phase.

Varus: Mostly for picks/engage, which applies to both teamfights and laning.

Vayne: Teamfight ult.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Nah I mean engage stuff, not a chunk of aoe or a steroid. Twitch is the only non engage one that's strong enough to push it, I'd say. You can seesaw overall power vs ult power looking between something like ez ult that's fairly weak with a strong kit and MF who's got a very strong aoe ult but a kind of lackluster kit but that's all fine and completely normal. Like draven ult yeah you're going to hit it in a teamfight at some point but you can't start fights or disengage with it, which is what I'm talking about when I say team fighting ult.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
pretty sure by 'team fight ult' he meant big utility ults not just stuff you use in a teamfight

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

By 'teamfight ult' I mean stuff that is strong enough to have an impact on a teamfight. Like MF's ult is absolutely a teamfight ult. With her or against her, MF's ult does a big part to dictate how teamfights play out. It's a big cone that does a shitton of damage unless you get out of it.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
ashe owns btw it's sad nobody plays her

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

that's how the game feels compared to league, slow and awkward and kind of condescending.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD

Endorph posted:

By 'teamfight ult' I mean stuff that is strong enough to have an impact on a teamfight. Like MF's ult is absolutely a teamfight ult. With her or against her, MF's ult does a big part to dictate how teamfights play out. It's a big cone that does a shitton of damage unless you get out of it.

That's kind of a worthless definition. Every ult is strong enough to "have an impact on" a team fight. I mean probably concede that and move on because I'm not having the follow up argument about TF's ult or whatever.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

iunno like volibear's ult doesn't really change how teamfights play out, it's just more damage. mf's ult is so much damage in such a big area that it does kind of change teamfights.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Sivir ult and Kalista ult are bad because if the champs are remotely viable it makes them hands down the best ADCs (for competitive) bc it gives their team a ton of p/b fluidity and options that another ADC would need to be ridiculously powerful to compete with.

Jhin has an engage ult too kind of, but it requires him to hit skill shots and he's also immobile so it can't be a reliable form of primary engage. Sivir just hits R and the entire team can go in, and Kalista has an absolute ton of diversity in what her ult can do and what support it allows the team to pick.

Endorph posted:

iunno like volibear's ult doesn't really change how teamfights play out, it's just more damage. mf's ult is so much damage in such a big area that it does kind of change teamfights.

MF ult requires really good team fight positioning because it can very easily be interrupted by CC or just killing her. It alters the team fight more for her than it does the other team.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

Stuff like volibear and rammus ults are pretty strong actually because their ability to start a fight is on the other buttons and they let you build full tank without being ignorable. They're worse than later champs who just get 10% max health on a button instead, but they do exactly what they're supposed to.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
Volibear's ult, like Rammus just kinda allows them to continue being threatening after their initiation in powerball and fling by slapping poo poo while their ADCs lay down significantly more damage. It's not ADC level damage but it's appreciable. I don't really think anyone's got a particularly useless ult off the top of my head. Unless of course it's like "well numerically it currently does blah blah *farts* blah blah damage/healing/shielding."

But I do agree that yeah, trying to be unique for the simple sake of being unique gave rise to Skarner's loving retarded minigame, which people seem to universally abhor and Riot gives a sort of Blizzard "We know what's better for you" kind of response to it, which is super condescending. While yeah, maybe old Skarner or poison stack Skarner were harder to balance, the minigame of CAPTURE THE POINT being forced into the game was by far my most disliked change they ever did to any one champion and twisting the knob on "he gets X number near his stupid pillars" is a really lazy way to balance him.

Servaetes fucked around with this message at 01:44 on May 29, 2016

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
The new RG basically changed volibear completely by the way,

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
the important distinction to make here between mf ult and voli ult, is that volibear calls down the thunder which is something you will not see elsewhere from the roster of champions

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
*lightning

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
same thing

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

Lovechop posted:

ashe owns btw it's sad nobody plays her

Ashe is and has been really good in solo queue because your idiot allies are gonna pick dps in every lane and the jungle anyway, might as well hold the other team down enough to bring that to bear. She's kinda bad as the solo dps, like if you're doing Lulu, tank, tank, Janna, Ashe or something but that's about it.

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013
Yo speaking of MOBAs stealing ideas from other MOBAs, League needs to get with the program and add some stuff from KOF online.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Does anyone need elo boosting?

I want to play league but feel like I also need some kind of monetary compensation for putting myself through it.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
whoa kevin posts for real

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?

NTT posted:

whoa kevin posts for real

Yes, and they're actually good points! You don't have to always default to typing low effort five word posts constantly or whatever that weird paint-huffing kinda gimmick bad posts just because it's a MOBA thread!

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

Servaetes posted:

always default to typing low effort five word posts because it's a MOBA thread

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
http://plays.tv/video/574a5ac5985fa0b542/the-lucian-dream

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I have been playing triforce/bork assassin Ezreal lately and it's a lot of fun. peace.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

If we think about the game, we can imagine a few hard guidelines on what a champ of a certain class can do, or what an ability can do. Like if they released a guy with a 4 second stun, that would break the game because that full stop isn't something that you're allowed to have in league. To me, stuff like azir auto attacks, windwall, lantern, are all over that line. I'm not talking about power level, exactly.

i think they've basically found the perfect balance between thresh and his lantern. it took them three seasons or whatever though which is basically a complete failure from design perspective, i feel. its an ok failure if its rare, but still a failure

azir auto attack i agree with and windwall i dunno. i dont really see it as too different from braum shield (though they have obviously mechanical differences, and braum is weaker in a number of ways), which means i dont think the concept is fundamentally unbalanceable, because its basically in the game in a different form that doesn't piss people off

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 05:40 on May 29, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Verviticus posted:

i think they've basically found the perfect balance for thresh lantern. it took them three seasons or whatever though which is basically a complete failure from design perspective, i feel. its an ok failure if its rare, but still a failure

azir auto attack i agree with and windwall i dunno. people hate windwall, but completely ignore braum shield, and i've never totally been comfortable condemning one without the other, so i default to "its fun so i think its ok"

You absolutely should feel comfortable condemning one without the other. They're not the same ability at all beyond being a wal and the major problem people have with Wind Wall is that it's a non-ult ability that creates an impenetrable barrier that shuts down all ranged attacks including ults and do so without any weakening for its entire duration. Braum's shield is better designed and so nobody minds it because it has more reasonable strengths and weaknesses.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
ya, i wasn't clear, so i changed it

edit: that said, im definitely on record as saying that wind wall owns and i wouldn't change it, and im not even a yasuo player

on the subject of yasuo, i wonder when they're going to give him the s2 xin treatment where they made it so "attacking really fast" isnt synonymous with "non-stop crowd control"

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 05:44 on May 29, 2016

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
braum has to put himself in danger to use his shield, yasuo just throws his windwall out like a stupid idiot

flyingkiwi
Jun 1, 2012

Wowzers!

Servaetes posted:

Volibear's ult, like Rammus just kinda allows them to continue being threatening after their initiation in powerball and fling by slapping poo poo while their ADCs lay down significantly more damage. It's not ADC level damage but it's appreciable. I don't really think anyone's got a particularly useless ult off the top of my head. Unless of course it's like "well numerically it currently does blah blah *farts* blah blah damage/healing/shielding."

But I do agree that yeah, trying to be unique for the simple sake of being unique gave rise to Skarner's loving retarded minigame, which people seem to universally abhor and Riot gives a sort of Blizzard "We know what's better for you" kind of response to it, which is super condescending. While yeah, maybe old Skarner or poison stack Skarner were harder to balance, the minigame of CAPTURE THE POINT being forced into the game was by far my most disliked change they ever did to any one champion and twisting the knob on "he gets X number near his stupid pillars" is a really lazy way to balance him.

I miss Skarner. It's a shame he got deleted, and there's nothing left of him

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011
Windwall wouldn't annoy me if it only blocked from one direction.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
why doesn't this stupid loving game alert you when it's your turn to do something

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Methanar posted:

why doesn't this stupid loving game alert you when it's your turn to do something

its a piece of poo poo

stump collector
May 28, 2007

rabidsquid posted:

I have been playing triforce/bork assassin Ezreal lately and it's a lot of fun. peace.

tell me more

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

ImpAtom posted:

You absolutely should feel comfortable condemning one without the other. They're not the same ability at all beyond being a wal and the major problem people have with Wind Wall is that it's a non-ult ability that creates an impenetrable barrier that shuts down all ranged attacks including ults and do so without any weakening for its entire duration. Braum's shield is better designed and so nobody minds it because it has more reasonable strengths and weaknesses.

In addition to this it's completely infuriating to have a melee assassin mid and still have no disadvantages in sieges because he can turn auto attacks off.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

ImpAtom posted:

DotA is a fun game but I think it's fair to point out it was designed around the limitations of a completely different game and a lot of the design and balance decisions were made within those limitations and weaknesses and since have become an intractable part of the system. LoL has a ton of problems but it does benefit from (to some degree) not having that shackle. Both games suffer from "it's always been like this so we can't change it" syndrome though.

This has been my problem with DOTA really. At one point the game had to be balanced around engine limitations, but when you build a new engine and have to build those limitations back in for the game to work I'm out.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
just dumpstered a streamer infront of 800 viewers.

some good plays but unfortunately plays.tv broke.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Lovechop posted:

the important distinction to make here between mf ult and voli ult, is that volibear calls down the thunder which is something you will not see elsewhere from the roster of champions

volibear is a stupid broken piece of garbage that takes almost no real skill to play yet has a very high winrate and the most sleep-inducing gameplay ever. unrelated to your opinion but the mere mention of the stupid poo poo bear triggers me so

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Methanar posted:

just dumpstered a streamer infront of 800 viewers.

some good plays but unfortunately plays.tv broke.

which one? that lovely cowsep dude?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Yes that one

• Locked thread