Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Earthshatter also hits targets some unknown distance in the air which is extreme bullshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Reinhardt's ult is really good and basically guarantees anyone caught in it is loving dead. The stun is hardly short, its like 4 seconds which is an eternity in this game.

The cone shape of it is weird though and can result in you missing the person right next to you.

OneTruePecos
Oct 24, 2010

DreamShipWrecked posted:

It depends on their mood, I guess. People having been using things like rapid fire mods forever but every game enforces differently. Things like the Lucio thing aren't actually hurting anything but they might take a NO NO NO stance for the sake of a slippery slope arguement

In WoW, at least, Blizzard used to draw the line at anything that reduced the number of buttons you pressed. So you could macro something to situationally do action1 or action2, but not make it so that pressing G1 would fire both action1 and action2 if they normally required separate inputs.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Reinhardt's ult is cool and good, but it is also incredibly sensitive to corners or other obstructions in the path. You can miss someone that seems to be 2/3 in view if the ult thinks they are around an obstruction.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Mei's ice wall will also block D.va's ult, but the explosion shatters it guaranteed.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Broken Cog posted:

Reinhardt's ult is cool and good, but it is also incredibly sensitive to corners or other obstructions in the path. You can miss someone that seems to be 2/3 in view if the ult thinks they are around an obstruction.

That's most of the reason why I don't like it. You can occasionally pull off great plays with it but it's finicky and it's rare that people will be stupid enough to line up for punishment unless it's a narrow KOTH point or you're using him defensively on Payload. Can't judge the ults based on perfect conditions.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Broken Cog posted:

Yup. I've failed to stun someone standing in a hallway before because of the lip of the doorway managed to shield him. Also I swear once someone just jumped at the right time and they avoided the stun.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I would report the wiggling Lucio. If it's 'no harm' what's the point of setting up the macro at all?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Away all Goats posted:

Yup. I've failed to stun someone standing in a hallway before because of the lip of the doorway managed to shield him. Also I swear once someone just jumped at the right time and they avoided the stun.

I've had that jump thing happen too, a S76 directly in front of me completely avoided it just by jumping

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

DreamShipWrecked posted:

That's most of the reason why I don't like it. You can occasionally pull off great plays with it but it's finicky and it's rare that people will be stupid enough to line up for punishment unless it's a narrow KOTH point or you're using him defensively on Payload. Can't judge the ults based on perfect conditions.

but junkrat ult is worth calling 'teamwiping'? because that sure as hell is harder to pull off than a good reinhardt ult. Unless you meant D.va's ult in which case ell oh ell

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
is there hidden mmr in this poo poo?

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Away all Goats posted:

Had to be something else that saved him. I've been falling from the sky and still been hit by the ult

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

JollyPubJerk posted:

is there hidden mmr in this poo poo?

It is only hidden in the sense you can't look up your MMR value. They have been very clear that the game does have MMR and it is based on a variety of factors - wins, losses, upvotes on games, downvotes on games, and who you've blocked. The matchmaking is designed to try to gear you towards a 50% win/loss rate, so if you start winning tons you'll get matched against better players, and if you keep losing you start getting matched against worse players.

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

gnome7 posted:

It is only hidden in the sense you can't look up your MMR value. They have been very clear that the game does have MMR and it is based on a variety of factors - wins, losses, upvotes on games, downvotes on games, and who you've blocked. The matchmaking is designed to try to gear you towards a 50% win/loss rate, so if you start winning tons you'll get matched against better players, and if you keep losing you start getting matched against worse players.

so those votes actually do matter?

I'm double the level of everyone in all of my games and get golds/silvers for every category every game. Just seems odd. The skill level of the players doesn't seem too high.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

JollyPubJerk posted:

so those votes actually do matter?

I'm double the level of everyone in all of my games and get golds/silvers for every category every game. Just seems odd. The skill level of the players doesn't seem too high.

You are very close to a revelation here

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Holy gently caress, the "make sure your win rate is exactly 50%" is so loving real.

I'm level 40, and got paired against a team with two 120+ players, the rest around 80.

That poo poo is bonkers.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'm level 44 and regularly get matched against people over 100. I also regularly beat them. Level is just a rough indicator of play time, it has nothing to do with your actual hidden mmr value.

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

flashman posted:

You are very close to a revelation here

that I suck? you would think if there was MMR I wouldn't be multiple golding every drat game

Grammaton
Feb 3, 2004
Cleric
Playing D.Va for a few games today and I finally got a LShift Q (launch your suit forward then it nukes) to work and took out the other team and secured our victory. Feelsgoodman.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013
You can get multiple golds without even touching the objective. In fact, you can quite easily get three just being a solo gently caress as Soldier: 76 or Roadhog.

It's also possible that you poo poo the bed earlier on and have a below 50% winrate, so it puts you against bad players to get your winrate back up to 50%.

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

a cat on an apple posted:

You can get multiple golds without even touching the objective. In fact, you can quite easily get three just being a solo gently caress as Soldier: 76 or Roadhog.

It's also possible that you poo poo the bed earlier on and have a below 50% winrate, so it puts you against bad players to get your winrate back up to 50%.

I only play roadhog and I sit in the objective every round, that's almost a guaranteed gold for me. If you're saying I need to do even better then ok.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Note that more than one person can get a medal of a certain level. For example if the top elims on your team is 10, then anyone with 10 gets gold for that.

Also view cards/votes/etc just like points in 'whose line'.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

ZypherIM posted:

Note that more than one person can get a medal of a certain level. For example if the top elims on your team is 10, then anyone with 10 gets gold for that.

Also view cards/votes/etc just like points in 'whose line'.

I personally think commendations are like pats on the back. So I pat myself on the back a lot. :shepicide:

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
Votes are a healer's compensation for never getting Play of the Game. Please support your local Lucio.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Blizz I will pay money for DLC that kicks idiots who rapidly select and reselect their character to make noise. Also let me turn off Dorado bells client side

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Cross-posting because of importance:

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Pop! apparently has a bunch of Overwatch characters now. Pharah is a Blizzard website exclusive.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Sometimes I think my team is garbage and we lost despite my good playing. But I try to remind myself that I probably played poorly also.

And sometimes I get a gold medal for 6 eliminations as Reinhardt and am assured in my teams awfulness.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Oh man Zarya is fun.. Lob shields on mans, get powerful gun, lob grenade shots everywhere

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

KingShiro posted:

Oh man Zarya is fun.. Lob shields on mans, get powerful gun, lob grenade shots everywhere

She is kind of hard to get going but once she does you can cut through people like butter. Just wish she was easier to aim with.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I've been playing nothing but Mystery Heroes since that became the weekly brawl, except for one game I was invited to.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I swear to god there are people out there who are reliably cheating the Random Hero brawl to pick who they want for their first run.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
crosspost from the inhouse thread

Countblanc posted:

I'm "proud" to announce the first SA team, oxx[]:::Knights of Goku:::>. Consisting of:

myself
daniel
brennon
berto
koestl
ahhpple

We'll be playing in the gosu weekly on sunday, pls cheer us on!!

http://www.gosugamers.net/overwatch/teams/16453-oxx-knights-of-goku

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I ain't in that bitch so gently caress it

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
never mind

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I swear to god there are people out there who are reliably cheating the Random Hero brawl to pick who they want for their first run.

We ran into something like that just now actually.

On Volskaya attack, because classes are supposed to switch on match start, we all picked Tracer for a laugh. We got 5 Tracers to start. Then we ran into three Torbjorns. Also, on that round, I got Winston three times in a row! We lost that one pretty handily.

But actually there is a way to cheat it, and that's to not pick a class until after the match starts, then your first pick is what you want. I never do that though, what's the fun in it?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

verbal enema posted:

I ain't in that bitch so gently caress it

well maybe if you asked!!!!

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I will be rooting for you, Countblanc, principally so that I can continue to hear two white dudes awkwardly hem and haw as they say "Knights of Goku" in front of twenty thousand humans.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

As much as I complain about balance, its kind of amazing that Blizzard managed to make a somewhat functional balance at launch with twenty one diverse characters. TF2 has been out forever and it's still trying to completely balance nine. With new weapons and all of that, but still.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jun 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

As much as I complain about balance, its kind of amazing that Blizzard managed to make a somewhat functional balance at launch with twenty one diverse characters. TF2 has been out forever and it's still trying to completely balance nine.

I agree. There is such few things I can find to bitch about. Except McCree. gently caress you McCree.