Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Orange Crush Rush posted:

It's Imperialist (literally) Colonizers that are currently getting grabbed by the balls by Nazi Elves vs. more or less White Nationalists, lead by someone too stupid to turn a group of people who hate both the Nazi Elves and the Imperialists to his cause. Normally between those two kind of choices I'd say "lol gently caress off" but it's hard to ignore not picking a side just makes said Nazi Elves that much stronger.

That being said, it's also hard to ignore how hard the death of the Empire has been foreshadowed since Morrowind, and how TES games tend to use Foreshadowing as a major narrative force. To the point where I wouldn't be surprised if Stormcloaks actually ended up being a canon victory, assuming Bethesda has the balls to declare a canon winner and not just pulling a Dragonbreak or whatever.

I said once that the outcome of the civil war will probably be a "both sides won/lost" deal. The Empire prevails in Skyrim and Ulfric goes down like the racist, treasonous rear end in a top hat he is, but his ideals ultimately win out" not the "Skyrim belongs to the Nords" racist bullshit but being allowed to worship Talos and Skyrim being an independent state in all but name but still allied with the Empire, like how Hammerfell is.

Also I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be canon that Titus Mede II either ordered or engineered the Dark Brotherhood hit on himself because he knew he didn't have what it takes to be Emperor anymore after the Great War and needed to clear the way for someone more up to the task to succeed him.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Nov 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Oxyclean posted:

Will this play nice mid-save? There's thing on the page saying it's best used on a new playthrough.

Don't see a reason why it wouldnt, you just may miss stuff on the world map

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Leal posted:

I had a little chuckle when you see the racism in Windhelm and the dark elf goes "And the Nords are assholes to Argonians"

Lady, your home nation literally attacks a neighboring country to get Argonian slaves. Slavery is so ingrained in Morrowind culture that they have an insult based around being a servile: Fetcher.

If you dig a little deeper, you find out the main reason Argonains are stuck at the docks was because it was suggested by Free-Winter, as he was worried having too many Dunmer and Argonians living together would start a race war.
And he is probably right lol.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Not a mod, but does the anniversary version of Skyrim work at 1440p 144hz native or do I need to do some mods

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Leal posted:

I had a little chuckle when you see the racism in Windhelm and the dark elf goes "And the Nords are assholes to Argonians"

Lady, your home nation literally attacks a neighboring country to get Argonian slaves. Slavery is so ingrained in Morrowind culture that they have an insult based around being a servile: Fetcher.

that was in a whole another era before the events of Skyrim.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Not a mod, but does the anniversary version of Skyrim work at 1440p 144hz native or do I need to do some mods

it'll work at 1440p. skyrim is still 60 fps physics bound I think, so higher fpses are not recommended

e: https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/The_Elder_Scrolls_V:_Skyrim_Special_Edition#Frame_rate_.28FPS.29 yeah, there's some tweaks for higher refresh rates.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Every Bethesda game requires both .ini editing and a mod for high framerates to work without loving poo poo up (and even still, anything over 60fps will still probably gently caress poo poo up). Bethesda doesn't do QA.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

nine-gear crow posted:

I said once that the outcome of the civil war will probably be a "both sides won/lost" deal. The Empire prevails in Skyrim and Ulfric goes down like the racist, treasonous rear end in a top hat he is, but his ideals ultimately win out" not the "Skyrim belongs to the Nords" racist bullshit but being allowed to worship Talos and Skyrim being an independent state in all but name but still allied with the Empire, like how Hammerfell is.

Also I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be canon that Titus Mede II either ordered or engineered the Dark Brotherhood hit on himself because he knew he didn't have what it takes to be Emperor anymore after the Great War and needed to clear the way for someone more up to the task to succeed him.

I just assumed if the DB don’t get Mede, then the Thalmor will and in the future his death will be ambiguous enough for folks to say “Thalmor did it” whether it was or not.

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

The whole premise of the civil war gets real funny when you consider that the Nords more or less jump-started the current incarnation of the empire, and have gleefully invaded/conquered basically any territory they could grab throughout their entire existence both as a people and as the Empire. And in case there's a feeling that was in the past, or that Ulfric feels differently, Markarth would love a word (also the Foresworn are their own brand of rear end in a top hat, it's assholes all the way down, but hoo boy, Markarth). So, basically, the Nords are extremely salty because for once an outside force is telling them what to do, and even the illusion of going along with the Thalmor demands (the greatest assholes of them all) was too much, so now they want to ragequit the Empire they more or less started, and they're behaving as though the Empire is the invader, when they're the ones that invaded everyone else.

And Ulfric went and yelled some teenager to death, so that means he's the true king crown please.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

chaosapiant posted:

I just assumed if the DB don’t get Mede, then the Thalmor will and in the future his death will be ambiguous enough for folks to say “Thalmor did it” whether it was or not.

Beyond Skyrim: Cyrodiil's main storyline is running with the assumption that Dark Brotherhood killed him regardless of whether or not the Dragonborn was the one who did the deed. I can see Bethesda taking a similar tact when it comes to ES6.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I mean the overarching storyline of the games is the slow but steady destructions of the "Towers" that hold up the reality of the mortal plane so like... decline is a theme.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

kartikeya posted:

And Ulfric went and yelled some teenager to death, so that means he's the true king crown please.

Wait that king Ulfric killed was some teenager? I clearly wasn't paying enough attention to the lore when dealing with the Solitude poo poo.

loving lol.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Tankbuster posted:

How long has it been since slavery was a thing in the US? And about how many years before Skyrim is that "whole another era" away? The numbers are MUCH MORE SIMILAR than you seem to think.

Also I never got the impression Torygg was a teenager. You meet him in Sovngarde and he's just a dude with a beard. 20s minimum.

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Nov 27, 2021

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

He was married so I always thought he was in 20's. It's never really explicitly stated though.

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

Yeah, I don't think he was actually a teenager, but he was ridiculously young, iirc new to the position, and several people state outright that he didn't stand a single chance against Ulfric, something which both of them were entirely aware of. Ulfric's some decades experienced war veteran and commander with the Voice, Torygg's some baby king, and lol Ulfric couldn't even be bothered to take the five seconds to kill him in actual combat, he just Fus Ro Dah'd the guy into pieces.

And then he ran away from the guards and the guy who held the door open for him got executed.

This is presented by Stormcloak supporters as Torygg being a traitor and too weak to rule, and Ulfric being a brave and daring rebel. Going off of memory, someone even notes that Torygg might have listened to Ulfric (and looked up to him), but Ulfric didn't bother trying to convince him. Ulfric himself will say that he killed Torygg just to make a symbolic point.

Also it's been 200+ years since Oblivion, or something like that, which is when slavery ended in Morrowind.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

kartikeya posted:

Going off of memory, someone even notes that Torygg might have listened to Ulfric (and looked up to him), but Ulfric didn't bother trying to convince him.
IIRC, that person is Elisif, Torygg's wife. Probably the person in the best position to know what the High King of Skyrim actually thought of Ulfric.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

It's also worth noting that the Argonians straight up wrecked the Dunmer in the Red Year after the eruption of Red Mountain. Part of the reason that at least some of the Dunmer migrated to Skyrim was to escape the vengeance of the Argonians (and, of course, because Red Mountain went hyper boom and rendered a good chunk of the province a wasteland).

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Tankbuster posted:

Couple hundred years.

Still within the same lifetime of a Dunmer.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Couple hundred years.

Still within the same lifetime of a Dunmer.
And there are probably Dunmer boomers over in Morrowind going ":corsair: Things were better back in my day when we were allowed to own those drat lizards! If we'd never let that drat Outlander in here we'd still be on top of the world! :argh:"

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Commander Keene posted:

And there are probably Dunmer boomers over in Morrowind going ":corsair: Things were better back in my day when we were allowed to own those drat lizards! If we'd never let that drat Outlander in here we'd still be on top of the world! :argh:"

They are all on that Neloth Grindset

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I gave time for the dust to settle a bit before asking. Do all mods need to be updated to AE or can some of them work with either version? I've got a whole bunch of mods so if updating for mining for fish will break my game I'll just keep using the old files instead of updating my mods

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Midnight Voyager posted:

How long has it been since slavery was a thing in the US? And about how many years before Skyrim is that "whole another era" away? The numbers are MUCH MORE SIMILAR than you seem to think.

Also I never got the impression Torygg was a teenager. You meet him in Sovngarde and he's just a dude with a beard. 20s minimum.

Love to do political analyses of skyrim while forgetting that the entire setting is a dream within a dream of a godhead. What the dragonborn does at the end is doing percussive maintenance on Alduin so that hopefully he gets his head straight and when the time comes he will swallow Nirn and everything can start back when Auriel/Akatosh throw Lorkhan/Shor's heart away.

Gonkish posted:

It's also worth noting that the Argonians straight up wrecked the Dunmer in the Red Year after the eruption of Red Mountain. Part of the reason that at least some of the Dunmer migrated to Skyrim was to escape the vengeance of the Argonians (and, of course, because Red Mountain went hyper boom and rendered a good chunk of the province a wasteland).

Yes its more akin to Haiti. Between the red mountain erupting and the Septim Dynasty's death the Empire accelerated in it's decline. Even the dunmer refugees in Skyrim have no particular desire to return home and the folks in the gray quarter prefer to live in an Imperial province wracked by Civil War than to return to whatever's left back in Morrowind. Meanwhile the Thalmor are straight up encouraging the rebellion because it keeps the Empire divided and weak while both sides lick their wounds.

Tankbuster fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Nov 27, 2021

Burns
May 10, 2008

Its hard to say what ES6 will do because it will depend on whatever canonical ending Todd goes for the Dragonborn character. They will probably just poochie him/her off screen.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Burns posted:

Its hard to say what ES6 will do because it will depend on whatever canonical ending Todd goes for the Dragonborn character. They will probably just poochie him/her off screen.

Advance the timeline 400 years, technology hasn't advanced or changed, and for some reason the exact same artifacts are now in a completely different geographic region.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Burns posted:

Didn't Dragonborn (the DLC) strongly suggest that one way or another, The Last Dragonborn is gonna end up replacing Miraak as Mora's poo poo puppet.
It would kind of follow the trend of what happened to the Nerevarine and the Hero of Kvatch.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I ended up buying the Enhanced Edition because of course I did; I was planning on modding it because of course I was, but the OP and Wiki seem to be super outdated.

Do we have any go-to 'essential fixes' guide? Should I just go to nexus and start downloading mods I want? Is SPERG still a thing? I know there's that jabberwock wabbajack tool going around but I'm not sure how much hands off it is and I guess I'd need to find a pack that I think I'll like?

/edit: I played the base game a bunch, then modded base another bunch. I just never got the DLC which is kinda why I ended up getting EE.

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Nov 27, 2021

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

A few pages ago I remember someone saying something about a mod that adds plants around the world that increase your carry capacity - anyone got a name for that one?
e: Nevermind, it seems to be "Vyn Exports - Ice Claws"

Edmond Dantes posted:

I ended up buying the Enhanced Edition because of course I did; I was planning on modding it because of course I was, but the OP and Wiki seem to be super outdated.

Do we have any go-to 'essential fixes' guide? Should I just go to nexus and start downloading mods I want? Is SPERG still a thing? I know there's that jabberwock wabbajack tool going around but I'm not sure how much hands off it is and I guess I'd need to find a pack that I think I'll like?

/edit: I played the base game a bunch, then modded base another bunch. I just never got the DLC which is kinda why I ended up getting EE.

SPERG is a thing on SE. You'll want Mod Organizer 2 to manage all your stuff, and you still need SKSE which needs to be installed manually. I think there's "USSEP" for essential fixes, not sure if there's much else you need?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I’ve got a modded install of Special Edition. I imagine now that it’s all kinds of broken due to the updates. That said, is SKSE and SkyUI updated at least? I have an Ultrawide mode that uses SkyUI and I at least want to play with that, along with Legacy of the Dragonborn of that’s still working ok.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

chaosapiant posted:

I’ve got a modded install of Special Edition. I imagine now that it’s all kinds of broken due to the updates. That said, is SKSE and SkyUI updated at least? I have an Ultrawide mode that uses SkyUI and I at least want to play with that, along with Legacy of the Dragonborn of that’s still working ok.

SKSE is mostly functional (outside of some edge cases), and SkyUI doesn't need to be updated, it works fine so long as you're using the AE build of SKSE.

LotD has been updated, as have most of its official patches ("most" because the official CC patches have yet to be updated).

There's a few mods that have yet to update, namely Racemenu (which the author is working on), Quick Loot RE (which may never get updated unless the author returns or someone picks up the publicly available source code and runs with it), and anything dependent on the .net framework which hasn't been updated yet.

A lot of the doom and gloom stuff was actually handled remarkably fast. SKSE, Address Library, CommonLib, etc., all seem to have gotten up to a mostly functional state relatively quickly.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Skyrim Skill Uncapper is has a functioning beta for AE as well, it’s missing some of the edge case abilities the SE version had but all of the main stuff (skill cap increases, turning on/off legendary skills, slowing down how fast you level up etc) is working fine.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
For Mods that have compatibility patches to play nice with one another, should I Merge the patch or Install with another name?

Edit: using Mod Organizer

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Nov 27, 2021

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Gonkish posted:

SKSE is mostly functional (outside of some edge cases), and SkyUI doesn't need to be updated, it works fine so long as you're using the AE build of SKSE.

LotD has been updated, as have most of its official patches ("most" because the official CC patches have yet to be updated).

There's a few mods that have yet to update, namely Racemenu (which the author is working on), Quick Loot RE (which may never get updated unless the author returns or someone picks up the publicly available source code and runs with it), and anything dependent on the .net framework which hasn't been updated yet.

A lot of the doom and gloom stuff was actually handled remarkably fast. SKSE, Address Library, CommonLib, etc., all seem to have gotten up to a mostly functional state relatively quickly.

What about stuff like the EnaiSion(sp?) mods? I’m using a lot of his stuff. I don’t need it, but I wants it.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

chaosapiant posted:

What about stuff like the EnaiSion(sp?) mods? I’m using a lot of his stuff. I don’t need it, but I wants it.

Those rely on SKSE and should be mostly functional (if not completely so). MCM is working now so, like, everything should be working.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Nice! I’ll update my junks and check check it.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

chaosapiant posted:

Nice! I’ll update my junks and check check it.

If worse comes to worse, you can use the unpatcher to roll back to the last pre-AE build and everything should work without issue.

Burns
May 10, 2008

So far as i see, the AE doesnt add in anything worthwhile anyway.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Burns posted:

It's supposed to have performance benefits. Which the hang on loading screen shows. Visual Studio 2019 is a lot faster I guess.

I wonder if the "fix" was a revert to 2015.

MagicAlex
Jan 6, 2007

I am considering messing around with mods for this game again. I vaguely remember some poo poo about NexusMod getting hacked and lots of the files being potentially virus-ridden? Did this happen? Is there a better place to look for Skyrim mods now? I'm a bit out of the loop.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MagicAlex posted:

I am considering messing around with mods for this game again. I vaguely remember some poo poo about NexusMod getting hacked and lots of the files being potentially virus-ridden? Did this happen? Is there a better place to look for Skyrim mods now? I'm a bit out of the loop.

It it did, it was a long-rear end time ago. Everything on the Nexus is virus checked now and certified clean. And files too big to be checked now come with big giant "download this at your own risk, idiot" bumpers on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

One thing that really irks me about NexusMods is them deactivating your account if you don't use it for awhile. I'm glad they sorted their poo poo out, but I'll never not make burner accounts via temporary email addresses because of their dumbassery.

Burns posted:

The paid creation club bundle has what seems like a comical amount of player homes, at least from the person I was watching play. They found like 3 homes over the course of a few hours. (Though, I think their chat might have been directing them towards AE specific stuff?)

It's also funny how they seem to come kitted out right off the bat and don't have the most involved requirements to get? Meanwhile vanilla houses are like "5000 gold for an empty room."