Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Falafel is probably as close as we're going to get any time soon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Milo and POTUS posted:

John wilkes booth sliding into the ring with pistol in hand

Real professional still performing after breaking his ankle.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Hyperlynx posted:

Never had tofu?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

tofeanut butter?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

tempeh burgers are good

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
How was the play Mrs. Lincoln? *WHAM HIT IN THE FACE WITH A FOLDING CHAIR*

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Hyperlynx posted:

I would argue pease pudding, starchy peas cooked into paste and then formed into blocks which can be sliced.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvEiFq77c3c

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

bike tory posted:

tempeh burgers are good

no they are not

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

zedprime posted:

Never had tofu?

I meant from a "made out of chickpeas and you can put it on a burger" point of view. But from a "solid loaf made of beans" point of view, yeah you're right.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lol I was thinking of this except the

gently caress

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Content warning: very bad movie

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

freeedr posted:

Content warning: very bad movie

Isn't that Dogma?
I remember liking Dogma. Was it bad? Did I misremember it? Haven't seen It in like... 15 years.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Dogma is, on balance, very good

You do have to be in the mood for the kind of thing it is

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

The Bananana posted:

Isn't that Dogma?
I remember liking Dogma. Was it bad? Did I misremember it? Haven't seen It in like... 15 years.

My dude if I post an opinion on media, that opinion is probably dumb as poo poo

so you could be right

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I remember getting like 20 minutes in and turning it off.

I guess we got buddy Jesus from it, but that might be its only redeeming quality

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

LifeSunDeath posted:

Just looked up Lincolns nicknames, and I never knew about RAIL SPLITTER

People were horny for this great man.

The Great Depantsinator

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

1. Dogma is one of the most aggressively 90s things to ever exist. If you hate 90s and "Gen-X" stuff, you will loving hate Dogma.

2. If you can stomach that, Dogma... improbably "works".... at least in the way it's intending to. It's never particularly great, or even very good, but there's no fatal flaw or error that compromises the whole. Even the stuff that actively detracts from the movie doesn't kill the momentum or undercut the themes. Hell, Smith is really working his hardest as a filmmaker and for once one of his movies looks better than "I got a modest budget and one major locale, let's do this."

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
It has a ton of great actors having a blast

Sometimes that's all it needs to be entertaining anyway

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The actors are a huge reason it works. You've got Chris Rock, Salma Hayek, Matt Damon, and Ben Affleck all in their youthful prime enjoying the gently caress out of being able to do diet-Tarantino bits and Alan Rickman is steady no matter what you give him. The screenplay is also tight and focused with a good sense of momentum that allows the actors to play around a lot.

When the biggest fundamental critiques you can give are "they should have rethought the poo poo monster," "the Muse thing is badly explained," and "should have been Jeanene Garofalo in the lead" then the movie is working. You may not dig or agree with the messages it's giving, but it absolutely succeeds at giving them.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
And Alanis Morrissette is God.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

mind the walrus posted:

1. Dogma is one of the most aggressively 90s things to ever exist. If you hate 90s and "Gen-X" stuff, you will loving hate Dogma.

2. If you can stomach that, Dogma... improbably "works".... at least in the way it's intending to. It's never particularly great, or even very good, but there's no fatal flaw or error that compromises the whole. Even the stuff that actively detracts from the movie doesn't kill the momentum or undercut the themes. Hell, Smith is really working his hardest as a filmmaker and for once one of his movies looks better than "I got a modest budget and one major locale, let's do this."

It's very down-the-middle for the kind of person who was very into Preacher.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S
dogma was both big and hated in my lil catholic/jewish New Jersey town. lots of people protesting outside of the theater when I went with my bad catholic girlfriend and all our friends

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Trabant posted:

Is that a freaking chokeslam?

There is honest to god Abraham Lincoln picked a man up with one arm by his neck story that’s probably true.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

He's just meditating.

You degenerates

The Bloop posted:

It has a ton of great actors having a blast

Sometimes that's all it needs to be entertaining anyway

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Dogma is excellent. I generally can't stand Kevin Smith's movies, but it's one of my favourite comedies of all time. This poster elucidated exactly what I was thinking:

mind the walrus posted:

The actors are a huge reason it works. You've got Chris Rock, Salma Hayek, Matt Damon, and Ben Affleck all in their youthful prime enjoying the gently caress out of being able to do diet-Tarantino bits and Alan Rickman is steady no matter what you give him. The screenplay is also tight and focused with a good sense of momentum that allows the actors to play around a lot.

When the biggest fundamental critiques you can give are "they should have rethought the poo poo monster," "the Muse thing is badly explained," and "should have been Jeanene Garofalo in the lead" then the movie is working. You may not dig or agree with the messages it's giving, but it absolutely succeeds at giving them.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Dogma was chronologically the last Kevin Smith movie that's realistically mostly tolerable to someone who hadn't built up a tolerance by that point. After that it's all just like throwing up in reverse.

bar88537
Nov 8, 2004

Dogma came out when I was in middle school and I thought a bunch of the stuff was incredibly profound because I never thought about it before. Stuff like how we assign genders to gods and angels, if Jesus was real then he had a human side to him that's rarely discussed, the church can be a separate actor from the system of beliefs and the believers.

I rewatched in college and it didn't feel as profound, but it felt like a guy wrote a story about how he feels conflicted about a bunch of things when it comes to religion. It seems to work and as mentioned earlier, the cast was amazing for that point in time.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

So...

What yer sayin' is...

I didn't misremember.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

OwlFancier posted:

There are in fact three of those songs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0lN0w5HVT8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWpCdUQLWwU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Do70nztRNE

All exceedingly :nws:

Please feel free to tag yourself. I think I like "Irresponsible manager of cum"

https://i.imgur.com/Wv3TXM4.mp4

e: how do i embed videos

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

It's a solid 3 to maybe 3.5 star movie, you decide whether that's on a 4 or 5 star scale. A bit above average.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

There's a nsw tag in the quote that prevents the embed.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Imagined posted:

And Alanis Morrissette is God.

that is why they cast her in the movie, yeah

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

gbut posted:

There's a nsw tag in the quote that prevents the embed.

Ahh, thanks

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Zetsubou-san posted:

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Zetsubou-san posted:

isn't it ironic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FouRPlaY
May 5, 2010
Patrick Willems did an interesting retrospective on Kevin Smith about a year ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voxRYbqrrzg&t=101s

He does some skits around the essay, so start at 1:41 if the time code doesn't work.