Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Concatenation posted:

Wellp, dropped the bomb and picked up a Decimator G-String, and it seems to have totally destroyed all my noise issues. I seriously can't believe how well it works, the proper test will be at rehearsal this week with the noisy power socket in the jam room, but all signs are good so far. Thanks Agreed for the recommendation :)

Anyone in Australia want to buy a regular ISP Decimator?

Finally, someone who can back me up when I say that it is the god-king of noise reduction. Hah. Glad you find it as miraculous as I do, spending a lot of money on a utility product is always a little bit dicey, but it really is, as of today anyway, the last word in noise reduction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Agreed posted:

I'd still love some clips, if you can record it?

I'd love to, but I've just had to do a scorched earth on my pc and I gotta reinstall EVERYTHING, so don't hold your breath!

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

dancehall posted:

Black/black/maple is a fantastic look for Fenders IMO, and I don't really care about Gilmour. Good choice.
Sorry for crappy cell pic.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

BittyWings posted:

I'd love to, but I've just had to do a scorched earth on my pc and I gotta reinstall EVERYTHING, so don't hold your breath!

Aw, that never stopped me ;) Still, thanks for the commentary on it, that tells me some stuff I was curious about and confirms a suspicion or two as well.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Concatenation posted:

Anyone in Australia want to buy a regular ISP Decimator?

My lead guitarist is keen. Our front man uses one on his 5150 II, and honestly I do not know how anyone uses that amp without one.

Could you drop me a line at ironwanker at gmail dot com and I'll put you in touch? :) We are in Perth by the way.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

iostream.h posted:

Gonna swap out the jackplate?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

iostream.h posted:

Looking classy. How are those tuners working out for ya? I never had a chance to use them.

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.

Ackbarf posted:

My lead guitarist is keen. Our front man uses one on his 5150 II, and honestly I do not know how anyone uses that amp without one.

Could you drop me a line at and I'll put you in touch? :) We are in Perth by the way.

Email'd :)

voting third party
Sep 5, 2006
~

glasnost toyboy posted:

I almost bought a Vox AC-4 yesterday, but I hardened up and dropped the extra cash on this instead. Blackstar HT-5 head and 1x12 cabinet.

It's pretty sexy. The 12 inch cabinet makes it look a lot meaner than the 10 inch they're usually paired up with.

From a few pages back, but thanks for posting this. After investigating it a little I ended up getting exactly this today and I think I'm going to be really happy with it.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'd take a photo, but really...?

I got this as an upgrade to my Line6 Toneport.

I loving love it.

This was my first real attempt at micing up my amp. It's a Peavey Classic 30 Combo with a Jekyll and Hyde distortion pedal in front of it. No modelling, only a bit of EQ and Compression to take out some of the harshness and round out the tone a little bit.

http://www.tindeck.com/listen/xkgt

MY FIRST RECORDING SUCCESS! YAAAY!

Edit: A late night experiment. Stereo recording. Plugged my acoustic into Amplitube 3 for a bit of Chorus\Reverb and a slight bass boost, and sat a SM57 right in front of the sound hole.

http://www.tindeck.com/listen/qyoi

I'm in love.

H13 fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Sep 30, 2010

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Thought I'd let you guys who had expressed interest know that FuzzHugger has a few Pipe Amps in stock now. One color has already sold out, but two are still available.

http://fuzzhugger.com/pipe-amp.html

I read over at ILF that he had a bit of trouble with some parts suppliers, apparently he got a whole order of speakers and they sent him the wrong damned one. Parts supply inconsistency is a big deal right now for a lot of folks in the small builder industry, actually, but that's another discussion. Anyway, some Pipe Amps available (I like the Mario green one, personally, though mine is black for extra ruggedness since I might need it to alternately sooth and defend myself against a bear while camping).

Edit: Oh, cool, he added my demo to the product page. :rock:

Agreed fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Sep 30, 2010

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Agreed posted:

Thought I'd let you guys who had expressed interest know that FuzzHugger has a few Pipe Amps in stock now. One color has already sold out, but two are still available.

Argh. Bought one in green.

Now I need to go home and bring an electric guitar back to school...

who cares
Jul 25, 2006

Doomsday Machine
Can anyone recommend an OM or other small-bodied acoustic guitar that I could find for around $500 used? Don't want any electronics, or a cutaway. I haven't been keeping up with gear at all lately and want a couple of suggestions of guitars that are good in the price range.

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007
Who needs title text, anyway?

Hammer Floyd posted:

Edit: A late night experiment. Stereo recording. Plugged my acoustic into Amplitube 3 for a bit of Chorus\Reverb and a slight bass boost, and sat a SM57 right in front of the sound hole.

You're generally going to get a nicer result pointing it at the fretboard roughly where the neck meets the body.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Manky posted:

Argh. Bought one in green.

Now I need to go home and bring an electric guitar back to school...

I just noticed that the color is labeled "Warp Green." Hah. I might see about sending mine back in and trading it out for a green one if he'd be up for it if I paid shipping; an amp that looks like a fire flower or Mario could come out of it at any second is :krad:. The rugged black finish on mine is fine, very utilitarian, but at such a low price for such a neat thing (and given that the paint job isn't as significant of a contributor to the durability as the construction itself, which is severely overbuilt, in a good way) maybe I ought to go for the coolest one over the one that is just the most functional. Then again I hate to take advantage of Tom, since he's a really cool guy and would probably do it without any kind of hassle and I don't really feel like I'm owed such an exchange at all.

I think you'll find that the guitar you plug into it doesn't have a huge impact on the sound in the Fuzz mode. It is domineering, in a good way, taking over your sound and forcing you to play to the amp's strengths and idiosyncrasies. I am really hoping that Tom does something like this in a pedal format, because I've never had a fuzz pedal behave as interestingly as this, and conventional noise gates don't offer nearly the same behavior when run after gainy pedals. I guess maybe a Devi Ever pedal might do something similar, but there are so many of them and the only one that really catches my eye is the Bit Legend of Fuzz. Pipe Amp's Fuzz mode is like its own instrument, man, you'll see what I mean when you get it in. You play it as much as you're playing your guitar, there is a balance in the sound which is really neat. You can hear it in the demo I recorded, there's a reason my playing is especially precise sounding. It has to be!

Well, you'll see. I hope you dig it, I've got a pretty damned good history of leading people to poo poo they end up liking so here's hoping you're the next addition to the list :cool:

Hammer Floyd posted:

This was my first real attempt at micing up my amp. It's a Peavey Classic 30 Combo with a Jekyll and Hyde distortion pedal in front of it. No modelling, only a bit of EQ and Compression to take out some of the harshness and round out the tone a little bit.

http://www.tindeck.com/listen/xkgt

MY FIRST RECORDING SUCCESS! YAAAY!

Sounds good, always nice to move up the hardware line :) The Peavey Classic 30 is a fine amp, very much a tone workhorse that'll do a lot for you without giving you much trouble. It may not be gourmet, but the food sticks to your ribs, so to speak.

So did you already have the Classic 30 and J&H OD/Distortion on hand and this was your first chance to record them with an above entry-level audio interface? You've got good modeling software, any thoughts on the difference recording into a digital setup versus miking up the real thing?

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Agreed posted:

Sounds good, always nice to move up the hardware line :) The Peavey Classic 30 is a fine amp, very much a tone workhorse that'll do a lot for you without giving you much trouble. It may not be gourmet, but the food sticks to your ribs, so to speak.

So did you already have the Classic 30 and J&H OD/Distortion on hand and this was your first chance to record them with an above entry-level audio interface? You've got good modeling software, any thoughts on the difference recording into a digital setup versus miking up the real thing?

I love my Classic 30 except for one small problem.

Whenever I "crank" the volume past 4, all of my power tubes blow. I've taken it to several techs, one of them is amazingly skilled (Rebuilt my Dad's 1970s ROLAND Chorus Pedal) and none of them can figure it out. It's gonna be a studio amp.

The J&H and Classic are my play-at-home rig but this is my first chance to record them with something decent.

I think micing an amp works a shitload better. Modelling I think would be fine if the focus wasn't on the guitar, but there are a lot of nuances modelling dont get. For example, slight vibrato. Also, I found that if I was playing something on the low end, I'd need a different rig to go high pitched otherwise it'd be peircing\muddy. I also like that you can really hear everything that I do on the guitar with a mic, rather than modelling which as I said, fails to pick up a lot of nuances.

That said: I DID order Amplitube 3 with the interface and I still use it a lot for processing (EG: Adding chorus\EQ\Whatever). I think modelling software certainly has its place. I've also heard clips of people who could get a MUCH better sound out of their modelling software than what I ever could.

So I guess overall I'd say it comes down to whatever you can get to work for you. I spent the same amount on the interface as I did Amplitube 3. Because I'm much more guitar-oriented and a geek, I prefer micing up so that I can get those nuances that I'm sure 90% of people wouldn't notice. I also like the fact that I can get "my sound" onto the computer rather than something else. On the other hand, I'm sure if you're more technically minded, you can get something just as good out of Amplitube 3.

So I guess what I'm saying is that when you get to mid-level:
Interface + Micing = Easier
Modelling = Less detailed sound, harder to use to get a sound as good as the interface, but can be as effective.

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004
I'm almost glad they sold out of the pipe amp again. Too tempting. Plus I just made a deal on a OCD and I'm trying to limit myself to one new piece of gear per... well right now it seems to be a bi-weekly thing so I definitely have to cut it out.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Hammer Floyd posted:

I love my Classic 30 except for one small problem.

Whenever I "crank" the volume past 4, all of my power tubes blow. I've taken it to several techs, one of them is amazingly skilled (Rebuilt my Dad's 1970s ROLAND Chorus Pedal) and none of them can figure it out. It's gonna be a studio amp.

The J&H and Classic are my play-at-home rig but this is my first chance to record them with something decent.

I think micing an amp works a shitload better. Modelling I think would be fine if the focus wasn't on the guitar, but there are a lot of nuances modelling dont get. For example, slight vibrato. Also, I found that if I was playing something on the low end, I'd need a different rig to go high pitched otherwise it'd be peircing\muddy. I also like that you can really hear everything that I do on the guitar with a mic, rather than modelling which as I said, fails to pick up a lot of nuances.

That said: I DID order Amplitube 3 with the interface and I still use it a lot for processing (EG: Adding chorus\EQ\Whatever). I think modelling software certainly has its place. I've also heard clips of people who could get a MUCH better sound out of their modelling software than what I ever could.

So I guess overall I'd say it comes down to whatever you can get to work for you. I spent the same amount on the interface as I did Amplitube 3. Because I'm much more guitar-oriented and a geek, I prefer micing up so that I can get those nuances that I'm sure 90% of people wouldn't notice. I also like the fact that I can get "my sound" onto the computer rather than something else. On the other hand, I'm sure if you're more technically minded, you can get something just as good out of Amplitube 3.

Modelling = Less detailed sound, harder to use to get a sound as good as the interface, but can be as effective.

I have never heard of a mystery Classic 30 that blows up its power tubes, haha, wow. Well, at least you've got a good use for it.

Obviously I'm going to defend amp modeling if it comes down to an argument, but the real point is just that people should use what works best for them. I do both, I've become fluent enough (so to speak) with modelers that it's generally faster for me to just record demos that way. In fact, the Pipe Amp demo is the first demo in two years I've recorded with a physical mic and amp, because, you know, it's an amp - but all the pedal demos I do, all my reviewing, it's all modeling. Never had any complaints. I do agree that physical recording is more intuitive, there's a learning curve associated with modelers that you shouldn't worry about unless you do intend to do serious recording with them. But once you're on the right side of the hill, I think you'd find it a lot easier than it seems now. Still, no need = no need, so do what works.

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

"This is not only a security risk but we occasionally get pigeons roosting in the space as a result."

Hammer Floyd posted:

This is quite interesting to me since my experience has differed quite a bit. I was able to get some usable sounds by micing up my amp, but it always came with difficulties. First of all, my situation is a bit different than yours leading to some arbitrary problems. My house isn't reliably quiet (roommates, landlord's kid upstairs who can only move by stomping), so I had to choose my moments carefully. Also, the noise floor was always much higher than I wanted (granted this was with the Firebox). I'm not overly picky about getting the exact platonic ideal of my imagined tone, but I try to make my playing relatively nuanced and expressive and once I had a solid sound dialed in I agree that vibrato and right hand dynamics always came through nice and strong this way.

My experience of Amplitube has been very different though. First of all, I was floored by how good the clean sounds are. I also love how easy it is to get a nice stereo image, something that was pretty limited with my one-amp-two-mic configuration before. I did find two things that got in the way of a convincing sound for me though. First, the presets all seem to have a different amp in the B slot to bulk up the sound. It's not always what I want and often I need to get rid of the extra one to get the sound I'm after. Second, and most importantly, IK are evidently really happy with their modeled rack effects and they are indeed very good, but more than once I've spent half an hour messing with all the other settings trying to get the dynamic range I want only to find the tube compressor in place and cranked to eleven when I finally look at the rack. Getting rid of the rack stuff (especially the drat compressor) has often solved the problem for me. I haven't tried an amp recording since getting my new interface but that's mostly because the results with AT3 have been good enough that I haven't felt the need.

I'm pretty sure I know what you mean about the difference in character. Once I made sure to start with one amp at a time and no rack effects I found it decreased dramatically, but obviously YMMV.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Agreed posted:

Pipe amp chat

Haha, yeah, that's basically why I knew I had to get one in green. I guess I have to learn to play the Mario theme on guitar now.

And dammit, you're making me too excited for it. I don't want to wait for it to get here. All my guitar playing has been centered around getting super-clean tone, I can't wait to fuzz it up.

dissin department
Apr 7, 2007

"I has music dysleskia."

dissin department posted:

I don't actually get it until Thursday, but point him at some youtube videos. I saw one in particular where it was demoed against a Gibson standard LP, and the LP sounded just a little better- but not 800~ dollars worth of better.
edit: the general consensus seems to be that the Agile series is a lot better buy than the Epiphones, though.

To follow up on this: It's pretty much the same thing everyone else has said about Rondo Music instruments. The pickups are nothing special, but the way the guitar feels and plays is loving insane for 400 dollars. If I were to swap out the pickups and have it professionally set up, most people wouldn't know the difference between this and a $1000+ guitar.
I would definitely recommend this.

JohnnyWarbucks
May 8, 2007
The guitar isn't really new, but the Vox VT50 and Couch guitar strap are! Guitar is an SX SJM and I love it.

Click here for the full 1771x1536 image.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
For a few months I was debating getting an SJM but the pictures on that site make it look UGLY AS SIN. And I usually like "ugly" guitars, but I thought it would just be too much.

But it actually looks really nice in your place...

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

I haven't posted about software lately, but I have got a bunch of cool stuff in, a mix of freebies, purchases and NFRs for review. Here's a bunch of pictures with the name above them and some details hooray!

Free Wampler Cranked AC plugin - Brian Wampler teamed up with well known freeware amp modeling guru LePou to digitally recreate one of his cool pedals. The result is extraordinary, give it a shot if you run a modeling setup. Use it as any distortion pedal, but know that it's aimed at providing the sound of an overdriving Vox AC30 (when run into your amp). This screenshot is actually of the alpha, but the final version is now available and works and sounds fantastic. You guys may have heard some of my Wampler pedal demos, I own a handful of them and they're something special - well, now you can have one too in your digital setup. It's utterly faithful to the original while offering some neat options, like selectable oversampling, and stereo or mono mode. Cool stuff. LePou rules, Wampler is great, can't go wrong.

Next up, two plugins from Genuine Soundware, very affordable stuff that's cross-platform. I bought these during their sale (may have just ended) for less than $32 total. The GS-201 is worth way more than that on its own, it's lovely. But I'm getting ahead of myself. Edit: These screenshots say "unregistered demo version," which was just because it takes a little while for the Italian developer to get you your authorization serials. I think it was about two hours for each plugin, but since it does rely on him manually doing it, you might buy it while people in Italy are asleep and have to wait a little longer. He's a nice guy, very willing to discuss his plugins, and I guess he works as fast as he's able to get you your key. I was able to survive a few hours without the licenses after paying :v:

Type4 Spring Reverb simulator - lots of parameter control, includes a "slam the tank" sound function, fully MIDI/DAW automation compatible. Not the most beautiful plugin in the world visually, but as I play around with it more I am coming to like the spring reverb sound it offers, on the cheap too! I will be comparing this to a much more pricey offering soon, see below.

GS-201 Roland Space Echo simulator - This is just superb, really fantastic, love it. The reverb doesn't work very well, exhibits some ugly aliasing, and I don't think the developer plans to fix that. However, the RE-201 has a poo poo sounding reverb anyway, so the real question is whether or not the GS-201 nails the tape saturation and beautiful, sort of ducking action of the original Space Echo units. The answer to that is a resounding yes, so just don't use the reverb and enjoy a super cheap RE-201 simulator that is way, way closer to the real hardware sound than the Boss RE-20 pedal which costs a lot more. When the reverb knob is turned all the way down (or you're using any of the modes that don't have Reverb) there is no aliasing at all. I guess it would be a priority to fix it if anyone actually liked the weird reverb sound of the RE-201, but most customers are there for the RE-201 tape echo magic, and it delivers 100% on that front. Seriously gorgeous sound, so many great textures available and a very, very faithful recreation of the functionality of the original unit, even to the point of having no real concessions to the usual digital shortcuts (no tap tempo, for example, though each head does display its millisecond delay value when you adjust the time; further, its delay times are based very precisely on the original, so your max is under 500ms on head 3). This is as close as I've ever heard to just having an RE-201 in my computer. It's really lovely. Except for the reverb, but, man, screw the reverb.

And finally two cool things from Overloud, though they're a bit pricier. One general comment I want to make is that Overloud is impressing me very much in how well they're listening to their users and potential customers, implementing cool features as they're requested. They're among the leaders of the industry in format support. All of their plugins have 64-bit native versions, which is awesome for anyone running a 64-bit DAW (like me), and they've consistently kept their products up to date with improvements and other stuff based on feedback. To me they seem "hungry" in a way that some of the older, more established companies aren't, and it leads them to be more agile and responsive, a good thing.

BREVERB - An algorithmic reverb that seems to be emulating the same famous Lexicon rack reverb that IK Multimedia's CSR does. Some users have reported that it has lower CPU usage and in general makes things a little easier on the user. Its operation may be a little less esoteric and difficult to master, and I've heard a lot of praise for it from customers. I actually own IKMM CSR as well, so I will be able to test them directly against each other and see how they stack up! I've made a lot of use of CSR in the past, especially its Plate algorithm, sounds great with guitar; this product is more recent, looks pretty polished, I imagine it'll sound good. I still need to do a lot of testing to this one to see where it fits.

SpringAge - a new and very cool release that emulates three different types of spring reverbs, in addition to a tube preamp and a two-band parametric EQ. The whole package is put together very nicely. I have only worked with it preliminarily, but my first impressions are positive. I love that the EQ’s “Q” factor turns into a shelving EQ at the extremes, that’s a very clever way to add some functionality without adding needless GUI complexity. There’s a lot of parameter control over the springs, too. They market the product as combining the fidelity of convolution reverb with the versatility of algorithmic reverb, and from what I can tell, they are not exaggerating. I am really digging how this sounds, and it might become a go-to reverb. I think it competes extremely well with Softube's Spring Reverb, which I've felt was the "one to beat." I need to test it out further before making that call, but this is definitely a really strong entry into the market. I also do plan to compare this to the above, less expensive Type4, but preliminarily I think this sounds better. It could very well be a new favorite plugin, it just sounds fantastic with my guitar and vocal tracks in particular.

STUDIO TOOLS RULE :catdrugs:

Agreed fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Oct 2, 2010

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Oh my.

I think I found something awesome.

I'm micing up my Peavey, but then running that into Amplitube. It sounds mighty BUT: I have found a hitch.

What I'm hearing when I'm using Amplitube stand-alone is the dry signal from the monitors AND the Amplitube sound patch. The sound patch alone sounds faint and muddy but combined with the dry signal, it sorta fills in all the gaps and makes it sound big warm and well-rounded.

So what I'm trying to do now is record BOTH the dry signal AND the amplitube signal at the same time on the same track. My brain is melting.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

If you were using REAPER, it'd be as easy as using the wet/dry knob on the FX chain window to set the signal up in parallel without any hassle or need for more advanced routing.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
You're a cleverer man than I am Agreed.

http://www.tindeck.com/listen/vjmn
That's the dry track with no processing with Amplitube

http://www.tindeck.com/listen/nlex
That's the slightly processed sound. It's not a different sound, but it's smoother, with better bass.

So to summarise the "Modelling vs. Recording" argument...use both :)

H13 fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Oct 2, 2010

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Agreed posted:

RE-201

If you have Reaktor here this is an amazingly good recreation of the Roland Space Echo: http://co.native-instruments.com/index.php?id=userlibrary&type=0&ulbr=1&plview=detail&patchid=7193

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
Been a while since I bought anything.

:swoon:

Next up, I'm saving for the day when someone is selling their Peavey VB-2. Well, or maybe another all-tube bass amp in that price range.

edit: oh yeah, if you're looking for a cheap and excellent OD pedal, I learned that GC is selling the WAY HUGE Pork Loin in-store for like $99 this week. I stupidly sold mine and I've been dying to get another one, but this purchase wiped me out for now.

Sarah Cenia fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Oct 2, 2010

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH
That Spider sounds really good; I tend to chord a lot when I play bass, does it work for that sort of playing?

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
To be honest I'm not very knowledgeable regarding chords...or in general theory yet, so here is my extremely brief summary:

It eats minor chords for breakfast and excretes swirling chainsaw rainbows into your ears. Power chords all day, you can feel the vibrating oscillation in your chest! Major chords are a little iffy; if you are using the mid-boost switch they still sound pretty good though not as defined as the former. With the mids off it kinda just sounds like a wall of fuzz. Not a messy, atonal wall though, but if your goal was for someone to identify that chord it might fall short there.

Also, I thought it might be a slight let-down because of the amp I have (Hartke HA3500, a hybrid amp) but I was happily surprised. Using only the solid state preamp it doesn't disappoint, but it sounds much better using the tube one. I think it would be amazing with a fully tube amp.

edit2: As you lower the overdrive pot, it feels like the clean signal from the bass gets mixed in more with the effect, so it gets smoother and lower. "Well duh Achtane"...yeah, I know. I just thought it was cool -- it's not like the "tone" pot on, say, a Big Muff or something.

Sarah Cenia fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Oct 2, 2010

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH
That's a very useful review... on a related note, and maybe others could also chime in: where (other than here obviously) do y'all find out about fairly esoteric gear like this that's being sold in all sorts of places?

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Gripen5 posted:

You have suddenly made me want to buy one of these, although I don't much care for the LP shape as it is uncomfortable in my lap.

Edit: That is also a really nice burgundy finish.

They have another one that is blemished, but the blemish is listed as "COSMETIC-ONLY flaw: Slightly twisted neck and small holes in the fretboard." Which does not sound good at all, and also sounds quite contradictory.

http://store.guitarfetish.com/Xaviere-XV-585-Chambered-mahogany-carved-top-GOLDTOP-Blem_p_1457.html

Goldtop, same guitar, not a twisted neck, on sale. Keeping an eye on the clearance sale pays off, apparently. $168.

http://store.guitarfetish.com/XV-JM-Series-Offset-Electric-Guitars_c_208.html
Huh. This is new. Jaguars. And one of them is a TeleJaguar like someone custom built in this thread god knows how long ago.

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Oct 3, 2010

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me

Schlieren posted:

That's a very useful review... on a related note, and maybe others could also chime in: where (other than here obviously) do y'all find out about fairly esoteric gear like this that's being sold in all sorts of places?

Personally I hang out at talkbass.com and ilovefuzz.com and those alone can point you to some pretty neat gear, but for effects there is also the nicely organized http://www.effectsdatabase.com/

By the way, if it happens that you wanna buy a Big Spider, the build/wait time is a couple months. I was lucky and got this one for $160 on eBay because the dude couldn't use it in his current band. I'm also lusting after their Meat Smoke bass amp, but that's not gonna happen...

Warcabbit posted:

http://store.guitarfetish.com/XV-JM-Series-Offset-Electric-Guitars_c_208.html
Huh. This is new. Jaguars. And one of them is a TeleJaguar like someone custom built in this thread god knows how long ago.

I've been pining for that Telemaster thing in the translucent orange for a while now....but I'd rather save up for a tube amp and become more well-versed in bass playing. They look really good though, the few reviews I've seen of them are all quite positive.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Agreed posted:

SpringAge - a new and very cool release that emulates three different types of spring reverbs, in addition to a tube preamp and a two-band parametric EQ. ... It could very well be a new favorite plugin, it just sounds fantastic with my guitar and vocal tracks in particular.

I just posted a pretty comprehensive write-up of my thoughts on this after focusing on playing around with it for a few directed hours this afternoon.

Preliminary but fairly thorough thoughts about SpringAge at my blog

Since I'm actually mentioning it directly here, I'm going to turn on my signature for this post. You know, I'm not even sure that you guys know I do this stuff for a reason. It really isn't just pointless consumption to get crap for crap's sake. The blog is 100% a labor of love with no ads or anything. Frugal is Will Chen's site, I just toss a review up every now and again. He's a nice guy, I'm glad to help out and it does let me try some pretty cool stuff that I might not otherwise get to check out.

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste
  • Unlawful Carnal Gopher Knowledge
Agreed, I took your advice and bought a second-hand Marshall Reverb to replace my Digiverb. I'll have it this time next week :)

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Zakalwe posted:

Agreed, I took your advice and bought a second-hand Marshall Reverb to replace my Digiverb. I'll have it this time next week :)

You're gonna love it. The Spring + Plate mode is just, :drat:, it's perfect. I could not ask for a cooler digital reverb pedal. I guess I regret selling mine less now than I used to because I have a more comprehensive tool-set for getting really nice reverb sounds, right, but man, it is plug and play and :love:.

Note related to my previous post - Overloud did two really cool things today. First, they responded directly to a contact form I sent them letting them know that I felt their demo restrictions were hurting the usability of their product too drastically, a sentiment expressed with some venom in the following KVR thread, which I also linked them: pure hate in thread form, turning into love as though affected by a care-bear's beam when Overloud comes in personally and fixes things. So the first cool thing is that they saw a problem potential users were having with their demo nag noises, and fixed it immediately.

The second thing is they're going to take some of what they learned with SpringAge and release an update for TH-1 that implements a nice spring reverb mode (for free). Cool.

I am kind of an IK fan, out of every plugin maker out there, right, I tend to actually put more of their stuff to use. I have recorded every pedal demo in the last two years with an Amplitube product. But Overloud is really impressing me with their quick and thoughtful response to customer and reviewer (that's me, hooray :buddy:) feedback about issues.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
My pipe amp got here today. This was a good buy. I've only played my roommate's tele-style Peavey Reactor through it, but godddddaamn this amp is sick. And since the thread title told me to, here's a crappy picture.

Click here for the full 640x480 image.

The red against the green actually makes it looks kind of like a Christmas tree holder, which is awesome in its own way.

Manky fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Oct 4, 2010

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
As you may tell, BittyWings is on a guitar gear binge at the moment. My latest purchase is one of these bastards
which I have been after for ages.

Really looking forward to trying some of the less famous (basically NOT the '2 octave up') settings on it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bisonbisonbison
Apr 27, 2009