Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
So I just wrote 1.5 pages of a spec treatment for live-action Berserk

It's a pre-title sequence adapting the Koka tavern bit from Black Swordsman (I'm still deciding if I want to make act 1 the Snake Lord and act 2-3 Slug Baron, or merge the two and have the setup for Snake Lord lead more-or-less into the meat of Slug Baron; I'm thinking the latter because Snake Lord's been done before and Slug Baron's kinda complicated comparatively, but the former could also work if I write it for a 2h target, I think)

Should I :justpost: or should I be a little more cagey with this? I'm under basically no impression this'll ever actually happen but I don't wanna potentially gently caress myself over if I somehow win the lottery and get actual interest in it

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Apr 11, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Chapter 182 Fierce Kushan Attack owns. I like the Bakiraka's weaponry and fighting style and the comedic timing of Griffith's arrival was great

e: Oh well, that didn't last long. Bye Bakiraka

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Apr 11, 2019

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Griffith might be a dick but drat if he doesn't know how to put on a show.

Plus I'm intrigued as to why the Godhand would be ok with one of them going around playing knight instead of spouting random ominous philosophical nonsense

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Because their only commandment is to do as thou wish, and this is precisely Griffith's wish.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
They also have their own poo poo that pleases them and so far Griffith hasn't gotten in the way of their fun. Now Conrad can give people Qliphoth STDs, Ubix can troll/kill people with dragons and Slan can get pagans to gently caress demons without a lot of set up.

Only question is what the gently caress does Void do now.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Crabtree posted:

They also have their own poo poo that pleases them and so far Griffith hasn't gotten in the way of their fun. Now Conrad can give people Qliphoth STDs, Ubix can troll/kill people with dragons and Slan can get pagans to gently caress demons without a lot of set up.

Only question is what the gently caress does Void do now.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
K, holy poo poo that was 2 chapters with a lot of infodump. I might have to reread them.

So let me see if I get this right, there's 3 planes of existence: Physical, Astral, Idea. The Astral plane mirrors the Physical plane on it's surface, but gets spookier the deeper you go in. In order to interact with the Astral plane you have to "believe", but that stopped thanks to the church.

People with the brand exist in the Interstice, the inbetween world of Physical and Astral where elves, elementals, lesser spirits and witches exist. Being close to someone with the brand makes it easier for regular humans to perceive these entities, and the more branded people the worse it gets like it happened in the Tower of Conviction arc.

Diving deep into the Astral plane is risky since you can end up getting caught in the stream of souls, the exception being if you use a Behelit which is a key to bypass into the deepest layer of the Astral Plane, right where the Godhand and the Idea of Evil exist.

While staying in the witch tree, the wounds of Isidro and Serpico heals, and the tiny witch explains that this is because the whole area is shifted into the Astral plane, and their physical forms adjust to their etheral/astral forms healing faster, did I get that part right?

The witch also says the number of attacks by creatures from the Astral plane has increased, which I assume is related to either the Godhand getting it's 5th member, or with Griffith returning to the physical plane and distorting reality or something

Where do apostles like Zodd and Wyald fall into all of this? They are both really strong meaning they are from a deep layer of the Astral plane, but people were able to see them right from the start before anyone got branded...

Did I miss anything important?

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Apr 11, 2019

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

lezard_valeth posted:

Ok, I finished the Tower of Conviction arc. And I think I agree in that it's been the best arc so far.
Are you actually reading it? You're moving faster than Guts out of the pit of despair.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

lezard_valeth posted:

K, holy poo poo that was 2 chapters with a lot of infodump. I might have to reread them.

So let me see if I get this right, there's 3 planes of existence: Physical, Astral, Idea. The Astral plane mirrors the Physical plane on it's surface, but gets spookier the deeper you go in. In order to interact with the Astral plane you have to "believe", but that stopped thanks to the church.

People with the brand exist in the Interstice, the inbetween world of Physical and Astral where elves, elementals, lesser spirits and witches exist. Being close to someone with the brand makes it easier for regular humans to perceive these entities, and the more branded people the worse it gets like it happened in the Tower of Conviction arc.

Diving deep into the Astral plane is risky since you can end up getting caught in the stream of souls, the exception being if you use a Behelit which is a key to bypass into the deepest layer of the Astral Plane, right where the Godhand and the Idea of Evil exist.

While staying in the witch tree, the wounds of Isidro and Serpico heals, and the tiny witch explains that this is because the whole area is shifted into the Astral plane, and their physical forms adjust to their etheral/astral forms healing faster, did I get that part right?

The witch also says the number of attacks by creatures from the Astral plane has increased, which I assume is related to either the Godhand getting it's 5th member, or with Griffith returning to the physical plane and distorting reality or something

Where do apostles like Zodd and Wyald fall into all of this? They are both really strong meaning they are from a deep layer of the Astral plane, but people were able to see them right from the start before anyone got branded...

Did I miss anything important?

Apostles of the Godhand are exactly what they sound like - humans directly given the powers of the divine. The sacrifice ceremony permanently imbued them with the power of beings from the deepest planes and let them take it back to their world.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Are you actually reading it? You're moving faster than Guts out of the pit of despair.

I'm currently in chapter 215, and yeah I'm kinda burning through them, doing something of 30-40 chapters per night. For the most part it's an easy read and what takes most of the time is interpreting the motion of fight panels.

Though now with the introduction of witches and the astral world I'll probably slow down and reread some chapters cause there was a lot of information conveyed at once.

Something I found hilarious in recent chapters with the slight shift in tone focusing a bit more on the supernatural and fantasy aspect...and suddenly troll rape to remind you that yep, you are still reading Berserk.

Darth Walrus posted:

Apostles of the Godhand are exactly what they sound like - humans directly given the powers of the divine. The sacrifice ceremony permanently imbued them with the power of beings from the deepest planes and let them take it back to their world.

Gotcha, so it's what Griffith did but in a lesser, non reality warping way.

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Apr 12, 2019

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Note that the Idea of Evil stuff isn't exactly canon. Whether it's been discarded entirely or will be revisited later, we don't know, but for now at least, you shouldn't worry about it.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
In the most berserk way possible it is and isn't important entirety because it may have revealed too much that Mirua maybe didn't want to be tied to or made clear at that moment. So Idea is kind of ignored - until it decided one way or another that he does or doesn't exist.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Just reached the Eclipse chapters after marathoning it for a day and goddamn

also goddamn some translations on mangadex are ROUGH

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

verbal enema posted:

I'm reading from here and I think it's a pretty good translation, or at the very least there's no garbled english every other line

https://readberserk.com/chapter/berserk-chapter-218/

The Crotch posted:

Note that the Idea of Evil stuff isn't exactly canon. Whether it's been discarded entirely or will be revisited later, we don't know, but for now at least, you shouldn't worry about it.

what do you mean?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

lezard_valeth posted:

I'm reading from here and I think it's a pretty good translation, or at the very least there's no garbled english every other line

fukkin thank you!!!

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

lezard_valeth posted:

what do you mean?

Episode 83, the part where Idea is revealed and talks with Griffith, is a lost ark. Its been traditionally excluded from material by Miura himself, even though he hasn't specifically stated one way or another on a hard canon of it. Because at the end of the day, Idea of Evil so far isn't anything more than a source of the Godhand and is nothing more than a bottom of the chain of souls. Griffith is still a prophesied child, manipulated by the Godhand into existence and ultimately whatever he does, intended or not, is a part of that fate. Idea of Evil doesn't change this, but Muira keeps quiet on him so he's just irrelevant until proven otherwise.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

lezard_valeth posted:

what do you mean?

The Idea of Evil chapter only exists in the magazine and has never been reprinted.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Chapter 217 kinda hints that Guts would be a good leader since he knows how to encourage and boost the morale of his companions. I hope this is heading towards Guts getting his own army to clash against Griffith's

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

lezard_valeth posted:

what do you mean?

they're cleaned and typeset copies of the official release.
At least I think they're scans, some of them could be official digital copies. I know that sometimes the quality is a tad off so it could be a mix.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
If there is an Idea of Evil, ther emust also be an Idea of Good. Perhaps much weaker, but still.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

MonsieurChoc posted:

If there is an Idea of Evil, ther emust also be an Idea of Good. Perhaps much weaker, but still.

Nope. Welcome to Berserk.

IoE exists to explain the sheer scale of misery in the world. There's no corresponding need to do the opposite.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Well kind of. There are benevolent aspects of the Astral World and that is the elves and everything that lives in places like Elfhelm. However, the good creatures that we know about have likely been cleaned out for the most part in the Shadowlands by the more darker creatures of Quilpoth since the Godhand became a thing. Either through their Holy See purging the world of more witches and spirit belief or just how much more direct involvement Trolls or Apostles seem to have weaken what belief there was in more benevolent creatures such as the River Spirit of Enoch Village. There maybe more powerful creatures that could fight against the Godhand in the Profound Layer, but that place could also have been conquered by the Godhand due to most of their big rituals happening there.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Can someone remind me, when the World Squish happened (LOCAL SKELETON RUINS EVERYTHING) and we see the other 4 Godhand "manifest" (Conrad forming out of rats, Slann at the end of a giant writhing gently caress-tunnel, Ubik hanging out inside Heironymous Bosch's rear end, and a closeup of Void's head), what does this "represent?" Are they now just totally always present on the Prime Material Plane, and don''t need to be summoned with a behelit anymore? Are these pictures of literal places that exist on the world now, in some location other than Falconia?

Griffith managed to make his dream of ruling a kingdom a reality. Did the others, who were previously content to just hang out in MC Escherville, decide "gently caress it' and start to build little personal fiefdoms on Earth in their own image?
Like, the pictures are really cool, but what am I supposed to take away from them?

I'm aware I'm probably overthinking this.

Edit: I should just clarify that I'm aware a lot of the stuff on the wiki seems to be inaccurate, or at least presenting speculation as fact.

Liquid Dinosaur fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Apr 12, 2019

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Crabtree posted:

There maybe more powerful creatures that could fight against the Godhand in the Profound Layer, but that place could also have been conquered by the Godhand due to most of their big rituals happening there.

Aaaaah, what missed opportunity. We were cursed to watch Griffith's shenanigans on the boring material plane, when we could've witnessed Void powerbombing an elf through a table

Like... an astral table

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Can someone remind me, when the World Squish happened (LOCAL SKELETON RUINS EVERYTHING) and we see the other 4 Godhand "manifest" (Conrad forming out of rats, Slann at the end of a giant writhing gently caress-tunnel, Ubik hanging out inside Heironymous Bosch's rear end, and a closeup of Void's head), what does this "represent?" Are they now just totally always present on the Prime Material Plane, and don''t need to be summoned with a behelit anymore? Are these pictures of literal places that exist on the world now, in some location other than Falconia?

Griffith managed to make his dream of ruling a kingdom a reality. Did the others, who were previously content to just hang out in MC Escherville, decide "gently caress it' and start to build little personal fiefdoms on Earth in their own image?
Like, the pictures are really cool, but what am I supposed to take away from them?

I'm aware I'm probably overthinking this.

Pretty sure we still don't know what anyones endgame is outside of Griffiths castle in the sky.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Oh yeah, and where to Behelits come from? I'm realizing how much I forget. Maybe it's time for a reread.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

I read through Berserk really fast too.

Faster than any other manga or comic I've read; not because I was flipping through it, but because it was so engrossing.

I bought all the digital volumes on Comixology when they were on sale too (they on sale right now btw) because website scans don't do the art justice.

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Oh yeah, and where to Behelits come from? I'm realizing how much I forget. Maybe it's time for a reread.

Can't find the relevant page since I'm at work, but I remember something about them being the last tears shed by those making a sacrifice, crystallizing all that emotion into a key designed to repeat the process again.

It's explained in the Eclipse right before the lost IoE chapter, when Griffith is floating through infinity and marvelling over how he can't feel any emotional response to all his old comrades getting loving owned and knowing he was the prime cause of it.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Here

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

verbal enema posted:

Is this your first read?

If so, friendly reminder for Everyone To Spoiler tag.

Edit: I was going to reread earlier this year but things conspired against me. I might get to start up here in the next couple months. A few new chapters might help me get started.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Oh, ok there is a place called Iith. Due to the font I kept misreading it as 11th which worked in some places ("a captain in the 11th navy") and in some others made it sound like the translator was drunk ("the third in line to the royal throne of 11th")

:v:

This 2 are totally boning each other, I'm calling it

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Apr 13, 2019

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think it's also translated as "Ys".

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Is this your first read?

If so, friendly reminder for Everyone To Spoiler tag.

Edit: I was going to reread earlier this year but things conspired against me. I might get to start up here in the next couple months. A few new chapters might help me get started.

This is my first read yea but for now i just fly through the thread looking for responses to me lol

Guts just got to uh that Tower holy ground place blah blah and i am marking the gently caress out

Also Skull Knight is BADASS

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Skull Knight also hands out the raddest nicknames like Whore Princess of the Uterine Sea

Wish SK would give me a better forum username :eng99:

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Apr 13, 2019

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
I reading back through again, and I forgot how crazy Guts was during Lost Children. Like dude, chill.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
To me peak savage was when he used the Slug king's daughter as a shield, cut off his head, proceeded to repeatedly stab his head while his daughter watched, and then hand her a knife and tell her to kill herself

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

lezard_valeth posted:

To me peak savage was when he used the Slug king's daughter as a shield, cut off his head, proceeded to repeatedly stab his head while his daughter watched, and then hand her a knife and tell her to kill herself

Which was immediately followed by one of his earliest most humanizing moments with Guts beginning to cry as he walks away from her. It's also one of my favorite moments, and if the '97 anime hadn't already sold me on his character before I started reading the manga, that moment would have gone a long way towards that.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Oh boi I know where this is heading and it's gonna be epic :hellyeah:

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Ok I'm confused as gently caress now

Chapter 283 Griffith is fighting the Emperor and uses the wind to dissipate his fog form and...he says it's a tie?

He says he can't kill him or take him prisoner because he can just turn to fog and escape, but the Emperor can't do this either cause if he escapes he loses his army...that sounds like a win-win situation for Griffith.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Tempest Keep was merely a setback.