Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

tobu posted:

Posted this little beast already but its seen some action this week so here it is with a matchbox version that is only marginally larger:

and here it is after it got punted by a school bus (not full size, a Benz Sprinter):

Seeing that a school bus full of kids was involved in the accident police, ambulance and fire services showed up along with three tow-trucks who tried their best to convince me not to drive the Fiat home. They spouted all sorts of bullshit like 'its got undeployed airbags' and that my insurance wouldn't cover me if I drove it after an accident. They were real cocks about it but all were impressed with how little damage the car took seeing as the bus was not driveable due to undeployed airbags(taped off by firemen) and a busted coolant system. I think it didn't take much damage because although stopped I didn't have the brakes on so it just pushed me out of the way.

Got the insurance quote today: $5,800. It's the only thing harder than the headrests.

I drive every day with undeployed airbags. :confuoot:
The matchbox version has some really big wheel spacers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voltron
Nov 26, 2000
Zapf gave me this account because he's a friend of the Indian-American people.

meatpimp posted:

Looks like a pegged HDR slider.

I thought he had mentioned he was using the iPhone to take the pics but your comment made me realize that the camera does HDR. It still looked drat sweet after I got it.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I was in a fiat when we got rear ended by a 2000's explorer in loving Mexico. Buddies car had 3k miles on it.

Explorer was pissing coolant and looked hosed.

For the life of us we couldn't find a scratch or any damage on the Italian bumper car.

I was quite impressed.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I'm pretty sure they specifically engineer Italian cars to still look good after multiple low- to medium-speed traffic hits.

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:
A tech backed my 500 into something during an alignment, after they got their PDR guy to do what they could and bought me a bunch of cool suspension goodies to make up for it I'm pretty sure the car has absorbed the bump and made itself whole again. I seriously don't even notice it anymore. Bravo Fiat :italy:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

tobu posted:

Got the insurance quote today: $5,800. It's the only thing harder than the headrests.

:eyepop:

A similar accident involving me getting hit from behind by a Passat ended up costing her insurance $3000, and that included a new bumper (plus tow hitch cutout), some exhaust bits and a dent repair+partial repaint of the trunk lid. All work done at a major dealership.

$2800 on top of that is pretty wild.

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!

KozmoNaut posted:

:eyepop:

A similar accident involving me getting hit from behind by a Passat ended up costing her insurance $3000, and that included a new bumper (plus tow hitch cutout), some exhaust bits and a dent repair+partial repaint of the trunk lid. All work done at a major dealership.

$2800 on top of that is pretty wild.

Oh, I guess I forgot to mention I live in bumblefuck nowhere and everything not only has to make it to Australia but then it needs be trucked about 1800km to me. Also It'll be needing a new rear hatch due to a crease in a really bad place and we are paying a premium because only one repair shop in town uses PPG paint and if insurance is paying we'd rather it not dealt with by the local cowboys.

I will add to the chorus of praise for these tough little italian go-carts. I've given people joyrides in it (absolutely no other cars with a two cylinder engines around) and even 'car guys' don't notice the damage unless its pointed out to them.

CharlesM posted:

I drive every day with undeployed airbags. :confuoot:
The matchbox version has some really big wheel spacers!

I'm trying to work out how I could fix the wheel poke on the matchbox but I think it would be better if instead I just put massive spacers on the 500.

Can anyone explain why the head rests are so hard? I know they serve their purpose well enough but why couldn't they be just a bit softer?

IronCastKnight
Jul 27, 2013
My parents' Honda Insight got t-boned by an Expedition going a good 50 mph, and it still drives like a loving champ. Looks like poo poo, though, but I bought new doors that I just need to put on.

We didn't get poo poo from insurance though, because the assholes were uninsured and my dad took it off full coverage less than a month before.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

IronCastKnight posted:

My parents' Honda Insight got t-boned by an Expedition going a good 50 mph, and it still drives like a loving champ. Looks like poo poo, though, but I bought new doors that I just need to put on.

We didn't get poo poo from insurance though, because the assholes were uninsured and my dad took it off full coverage less than a month before.

That didn't fall under uninsured coverage since it was someone else's fault?

IronCastKnight
Jul 27, 2013

veedubfreak posted:

That didn't fall under uninsured coverage since it was someone else's fault?

Nope! Uninsured coverage only covers injuries, at least according to Progressive(may they long burn in hell). Needless to say my dad was not pleased with this outcome, considering it was freshly paid off with only 50k miles on it. Fortunately, he's experienced with both bodywork and welding, so we should be able to get it back spiffied up relatively easy.

I'm just astounded that it took a hit hard enough to knock it up on two wheels and was able to continue driving dead straight without any pull or suspension issues. Miracles of Honda's engineering, I guess.

IronCastKnight fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jul 2, 2014

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

IronCastKnight posted:

Nope! Uninsured coverage only covers injuries, at least according to Progressive(may they long burn in hell).

This is actually a state-by-state thing. AZ is the same way where under/uninsured coverages specifically only cover people in the car. Damage to the car caused by another driver, who is not able to cover it (no insurance, or not enough liability coverage to pay for your damages) is defined as a comprehensive claim.

Toymachine
Jul 2, 2007

Warning - Posts created under the influence of Codeine and/or Skittles

IronCastKnight posted:

Nope! Uninsured coverage only covers injuries, at least according to Progressive(may they long burn in hell). Needless to say my dad was not pleased with this outcome, considering it was freshly paid off with only 50k miles on it. Fortunately, he's experienced with both bodywork and welding, so we should be able to get it back spiffied up relatively easy.

I'm just astounded that it took a hit hard enough to knock it up on two wheels and was able to continue driving dead straight without any pull or suspension issues. Miracles of Honda's engineering, I guess.

gently caress that noise. Sue the school system and sue the bus driver for an exorbitant amount. They'll settle on $15-$20 grand to get you out of their hair. No reason you should be paying for someone else's blunder.

IronCastKnight
Jul 27, 2013
A Ford Expedition may be about the same size as a goddamn school bus, but it was tobu what got his Fiat mauled by one. I had the misfortune of being t-boned by some poor Mexicans with only said Expedition and altogether too many kids, so the only thing I would have got from suing them is a big shitbox.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I'll never understand why people drop full coverage on cars. I just got my insurance reup a few days ago and the expensive part of the policy is the liability part. Adding in the rest only costs about 200 bucks every 6 months. Unless of course you drive a 500 dollar beater then full coverage is kind of silly.

crutt
Sep 13, 2003
Hamhock Captain.
I'm betting my neighbors love me.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
That loving rules, and I've loved a lot of your previous cars too. Is that the same Roadmaster as before?

crutt
Sep 13, 2003
Hamhock Captain.
Yes, in the process of getting an awful rustoleum paint job from me.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
You might as well visit the DIY paint jobs thread then, contribute your know-how and experiences when it's all done.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
My grandfather had one of those a while back, it even had the fake wood paneling. loving HUGE car.

IronCastKnight
Jul 27, 2013

veedubfreak posted:

I'll never understand why people drop full coverage on cars. I just got my insurance reup a few days ago and the expensive part of the policy is the liability part. Adding in the rest only costs about 200 bucks every 6 months. Unless of course you drive a 500 dollar beater then full coverage is kind of silly.

The reason why my dad does a lot of things escapes me, honestly. I'd have kept it on at least until it hit 100k.

Sergiu64
May 21, 2014

Mine:

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

crutt posted:

I'm betting my neighbors love me.

That poo poo is PIMP, yo. That's a baller car waiting to happen.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
Just got this 2000 V70R (click for big):

I had it shipped in from NC, and I paid too much given the issues it has, but it's still a solid car and it should be pretty nice with some work. It needs many of the same things my V70XC did when I got it, so at least I know what I'm in for, but they changed a lot between 1998 and 2000 so it should be interesting to see how much of my knowledge carries over. I guess I could start a thread if anyone's interested...

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

zundfolge posted:

Just got this 2000 V70R (click for big):

I had it shipped in from NC, and I paid too much given the issues it has, but it's still a solid car and it should be pretty nice with some work. It needs many of the same things my V70XC did when I got it, so at least I know what I'm in for, but they changed a lot between 1998 and 2000 so it should be interesting to see how much of my knowledge carries over. I guess I could start a thread if anyone's interested...

I've only got a '96 855T but I'd love to see a thread on this chassis wagon so I can learn more about them before tackling mine. LloydDobler just wrapped up his C70 project so we need another P1 platform thread anyway.

Also, I'm so very, very jealous of your R.

Geology
Nov 6, 2005

Count Freebasie posted:

I've always wanted one of these, and I just pulled the trigger on it.

Man, this rules.

Another black Mustang

and the FJ

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!

Geology posted:

and the FJ

Both those cars are rocking but drat its nice to see an FJ in some dirt. Nearly all of them around here are just billboard cars for real estate agents or giant mum taxi's.

I guess this is because the hardcore offroaders around here just get themselves 70 series Land Cruisers instead. I'm told they are being discontinued there is still plenty of them around.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It's nice to see one that's not a porta-potty. or murdered out.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

This is actually a state-by-state thing. AZ is the same way where under/uninsured coverages specifically only cover people in the car. Damage to the car caused by another driver, who is not able to cover it (no insurance, or not enough liability coverage to pay for your damages) is defined as a comprehensive claim.

I have never seen a vehicle collision covered under comprehensive. Comp is very specifically defined in auto contracts.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

veedubfreak posted:

If you don't have $500 to buy another car than it's kinda worth it.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Ya, but replacing a totalled 500 dollar car is at least doable compared to having to eat 4-5k or more if some dipshit with no insurance hits you just to save a couple hundred a year. My mom was talking about dropping collision on her 07 Dodge Ram, I had to remind her that the bulk of insurance is the liability and not the extras. People just aren't rational sometimes.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

How do you like it? I am getting closer and closer to needing a new(er) car and every time I see a 3 I want one. Just wish the MS3s were AWD.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

veedubfreak posted:

Ya, but replacing a totalled 500 dollar car is at least doable compared to having to eat 4-5k or more if some dipshit with no insurance hits you just to save a couple hundred a year. My mom was talking about dropping collision on her 07 Dodge Ram, I had to remind her that the bulk of insurance is the liability and not the extras. People just aren't rational sometimes.

A couple hundred? Man, I wish that was true. I have a 15 year old Jeep that costs about $200/6mo for just liability. If I wanted to add comprehensive and collision with $1k deductibles (I bought it for like $2500, so not really worth it regardless) it would raise the insurance cost to about $700/6mo, or a $1k/yr increase, with Progressive.

My going-on-ten-year-old Toyota has full coverage with $250 deductibles for like $320/6mo. My bike is like $80/yr for liability only, to add comp/coll it would be about $1700/yr. Maybe I just apparently don't "get" insurance.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

travisray2004 posted:

How do you like it? I am getting closer and closer to needing a new(er) car and every time I see a 3 I want one. Just wish the MS3s were AWD.

Join us in the land of MS6 owners...

PhoenixWing
Feb 13, 2012

So I did a thing:

Bought it for going on vacation with as it was a Westy camper (Minus the fridge, should have it in again soon). Runs great with it's whopping 60BHP.

Took out the piece of plywood it came with as a floor first and put in hardwood bamboo instead

Taking it from Canada to Mexico :buddy:

IronCastKnight
Jul 27, 2013
Oh god yes engage maximum Hippiewagon! I don't even like vans but I'd still rock a VW Bus like it was 1967. That bamboo floor looks neato in it as well.

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm willing to wager you get pulled over by a highway patrol officer in every state you pass through.

That's a fresh ride, for real.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Count Freebasie posted:

I'm willing to wager you get pulled over by a highway patrol officer in every state you pass through.

That's a fresh ride, for real.

When you are asked why you were pulled over, ask if you were speeding. :v:

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Rhyno posted:

Join us in the land of MS6 owners...

Damnnit, Rhyno. Why do you have to make my decision more difficult? I haven't seen an MS6 around here in ages so I essentially forgot about them. Looks like a drat good deal. The search for nearby MS6s begins.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

Imperador do Brasil posted:

5 years newer, warranty, fuel efficiency, boredom, cost of maintenance, put $ in the bank on the deal. All the above. I am not one to keep cars for over 2 years or so regardless so it was time to get something new.
In the near-future plans are CAI and cat-back exhaust, mostly because the car is so drat quiet.

No more rx7s for you then? :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

travisray2004 posted:

Damnnit, Rhyno. Why do you have to make my decision more difficult? I haven't seen an MS6 around here in ages so I essentially forgot about them. Looks like a drat good deal. The search for nearby MS6s begins.

It's a great car with plenty of aftermarket potential if that is your thing.