Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Barely Legal is a great name for an event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

ayn rand hand job posted:

He had a single match in WWF while working for ECW in '97.

They had some weird cross promotion thing going where WWF was promoting Barely Legal or another show on Raw.

That was when Jerry called it Extremely Crappy Wrestling and accidentally cracked Tommy Dreamer hard enough in the balls with a kendo stick to send him to the hospital.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
It was still a good episode of Raw, because Paul did the announcing instead of Vince and it was in Hammerstein...

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I found the Douglas video by the way.

http://youtu.be/Byl4s4FoTvo

This is so embarrassing

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Luigi Thirty posted:

I found the Douglas video by the way.

http://youtu.be/Byl4s4FoTvo

This is so embarrassing

I love the poster at the end, that photo of him must be at least ten years old.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

Say Nothing posted:

How does someone who worked for so many big names end up as a manager at Walmart?

Drugs and living like there is no tomorrow?

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.
World War 3 was perhaps a great concept, yet awful when executed. I am on a 46" Sony and can barely make out what is happening. Imagine the poor saps on their 19" RCA's back in 1995 trying to watch this poo poo.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Doomsday Jesus posted:

World War 3 was perhaps a great concept, yet awful when executed. I am on a 46" Sony and can barely make out what is happening. Imagine the poor saps on their 19" RCA's back in 1995 trying to watch this poo poo.

It was pretty much always a lovely idea. The Royal Rumble is controlled chaos that's presented and scripted well. WW3 was just pure unfiltered chaos with no one having a plan until it became a 10 man battle royale.

Short of War Games and Thundercage, any of WCW's special matches were really awful ideas.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jan 31, 2015

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Is Patterson still involved in booking Rumbles?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Halloween Jack posted:

Considering how terrible the past two years have been, I don't think so.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

No, not for a while. I believe his partner worked for WWE up until his death a few years ago which is when he stopped being involved in day-to-day stuff.

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

It was pretty much always a lovely idea. The Royal Rumble is controlled chaos that's presented and scripted well. WW3 was just pure unfiltered chaos with no one having a plan until it became a 10 man battle royale.

Short of War Games and Thundercage, any of WCW's special matches were really awful ideas.

War Games was the king of aimlessly milling around. Watching the Giant just kinda shuffle around while being a full head taller than anyone in the ring was pretty great.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

purkey posted:

War Games was the king of aimlessly milling around. Watching the Giant just kinda shuffle around while being a full head taller than anyone in the ring was pretty great.

I remember standing in the corner doing nothing for most of one.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Swan Curry posted:

Eddie Guerrero wrestled in ROH?

Eddie also wrestled for IWA-MS, which blows my mind even further.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Eddie was fired from WWE and didnt wrestle for them in the early '00s because of his substance abuse issues.

In case anyone is trying to figure out the timeline.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

coconono posted:

Eddie also wrestled for IWA-MS, which blows my mind even further.

Didn't he have a triple threat match with CM Punk and Rey Mysterio there? :psyduck:

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
It blows my mind that IWA-MS used to be very good. Then natural rottenness emerged.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Jerusalem posted:

Didn't he have a triple threat match with CM Punk and Rey Mysterio there? :psyduck:

Sure did, there's highlights on Youtube. Rey is maskless :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oBhPMxjB30

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Memento posted:

Sure did, there's highlights on Youtube. Rey is maskless :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oBhPMxjB30

After Rey lost his mask in WCW, he only started wearing it again after he joined WWF, because they wanted him to wear it.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

triplexpac posted:

Googling it, apparently they had a match: On October 5, 2002, Insane Clown Posse wrestled in Ring of Honor and defeated Oman Tortuga and Diablo Santiago

RoH from 2002-2004 was mostly embarassing tag teams/matches with decent to good main eventers making up for it. So it was late 90s WWE basically. I'd love to see RoH try to bring back the Christopher Street Connection in 2015

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ColeM posted:

Wasn't that in 2004 when Kidman botched his SSP on paul London and then wwe turned it into an angle and it made Kidman heel?

That was actually Chavo who Kidman injured with the SSP, Juventud Guerrera was the one who landed on London's face with his knee while doing a 450. They did a worked angle where Kidman injured London with the SSP after the Chavo incident though I think.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

After Rey lost his mask in WCW, he only started wearing it again after he joined WWF, because they wanted him to wear it.

Didn't Rey have to go before some apuesta commission in Mexico to get that approved?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

coconono posted:

Didn't Rey have to go before some apuesta commission in Mexico to get that approved?

Yes. Wrestling is fake but it's regulated by a legit commission in Mexico and he had to petition them for permission to wear his mask again.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Aesop Poprock posted:

RoH from 2002-2004 was mostly embarassing tag teams/matches with decent to good main eventers making up for it. So it was late 90s WWE basically. I'd love to see RoH try to bring back the Christopher Street Connection in 2015

CSC did a dark match in 09 for an HDNet taping.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

I hope Rey's case for getting his mask back was "C'mon, man. WCW."

And then they looked across the table and said "Oh, of course, request granted."

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Neodoomium posted:

And then they looked across the table and said "Oh, of course, request granted."

It basically was this.

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!

Neodoomium posted:

It actually was more or less this. The official reason is "he didn't lose it in a traditional mask vs mask match"(even though it was hair vs mask), but they sympathized over the BS way he lost so they gave him permission to wear it again.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Aku posted:

It actually was more or less this. The official reason is "he didn't lose it in a traditional mask vs mask match"(even though it was hair vs mask), but they sympathized over the BS way he lost so they gave him permission to wear it again.

It was also a tag. Not only was it a tag but Miss Elizabeth's hair was at stake and not Nash's. It was completely ridiculous.

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!

MassRafTer posted:

It was also a tag. Not only was it a tag but Miss Elizabeth's hair was at stake and not Nash's. It was completely ridiculous.

Jesus christ, that's way worse than I remembered. I remembered it was a tag match, not that Liz's hair was at stake and not Nash's...

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

MassRafTer posted:

Nash is the loving best

IronCladBurrito
Aug 11, 2002

Excuse me, is this where the bitches are found?

Neodoomium posted:

I read somewhere (internet lol) that it was also due to the fact that Rey Misterio Jr was the one who lost his mask, and since Rey Mysterio was working in WWF that it was acceptable.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

IronCladBurrito posted:

I read somewhere (internet lol) that it was also due to the fact that Rey Misterio Jr was the one who lost his mask, and since Rey Mysterio was working in WWF that it was acceptable.

That wasn't part of it, Vince just hates the word Junior. The Box y Lucha commission has actually gone after some promotions for pulling things like this. Silver King started going by Silver Cain to remask but certain commissions wouldn't allow it.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Feb 1, 2015

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MassRafTer posted:

That wasn't part of it, Vince just hates the word Junior.

I always thought that was overstated or one of those echo-chamber type things where enough people said it to the point people just believed it. Then I heard Jericho tell a bunch of stories about how much Vince legitimately considers "Junior" an insult, the first of which coming from the time Jericho cut a promo where he called somebody junior, and when he came back Vince was all over him laughing and saying,"You called him Junior! That is such a great insult, great job, you really tore him up!"

Vince McMahon is a strange, strange, strange man.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Jerusalem posted:

I always thought that was overstated or one of those echo-chamber type things where enough people said it to the point people just believed it. Then I heard Jericho tell a bunch of stories about how much Vince legitimately considers "Junior" an insult, the first of which coming from the time Jericho cut a promo where he called somebody junior, and when he came back Vince was all over him laughing and saying,"You called him Junior! That is such a great insult, great job, you really tore him up!"

Vince McMahon is a strange, strange, strange man.

It makes a lot of sense considering the old territory promoters all used to call Vince "Junior" when he was working for his dad in the old days.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Defiance Industries posted:

It makes a lot of sense considering the old territory promoters all used to call Vince "Junior" when he was working for his dad in the old days.

He also hates Vinnie. At least I assume he does since Gary Michael Cappetta always refers to him as Vinnie in his book.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Holy poo poo.

If only Vince was even remotely aware of how much money an auto-biography would make him.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Red posted:

Holy poo poo.

If only Vince was even remotely aware of how much money an auto-biography would make him.

I can only imagine how great it would be. Like that Playboy interview he did where he talked about putting crumpled-up leaves inside a girl and how his only regret is that his stepfather died before he could kill him, but 300 pages long.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

I can only imagine how great it would be. Like that Playboy interview he did where he talked about putting crumpled-up leaves inside a girl and how his only regret is that his stepfather died before he could kill him, but 300 pages long.

Ghostwriter: That's... insane.

Vince: Look, Hawk and Animal and Bret and Jim hitting me with their finishers while drunk off their asses in a strip club was no big deal, and Bret bought me a drink. Hercules gorilla-pressing me into Flair's piss-soaked bed was just taking it too far.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Either a giant autobiography or access to the reams of research papers that the team of psychologists who MUST be secretly observing him have been publishing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
A biography on Vince's life would end up being like that one war hero who starred in the movie about his life in that they had to tone down elements because they figured no one would believe it.