Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

whowhatwhere posted:

You're right.

Let's talk about how Tricia Helfer would have made a perfect Cersei instead. She's obviously got the right look and can totally act as well as or better than Lena Headey.
:goonsay:

Maybe if Cersei had wrung her first babbie's neck and then walked away from it.

It might explain Choughrey. v:iamafag:v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Wasn't that first baby obviously a secret Targ? I could have sworn I read that in the books somewhere.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
From the wisest of threads:

HenessyHero posted:

I said this before and I'll say it again: I'm quite pleased Robb has a cartoon supervillian he can unleash on his enemies. I'd like to see Bolton pull a jigsaw on some chumps one day.

"Tywin Lannister, do you want to play a game (of thrones)?" :unsmigghh:

:allears:

The Slippery Nipple
Mar 27, 2010
On the topic of Robb meeting stealth-Jeyne, how the hell did she even know who he was? Its not like they had pictures of him everywhere saying 'THIS GUY BREEDS WITH WOLVES AND EATS FLESH N poo poo, HE IS A BAD MAN'. She should've assumed he was just some geezer, not that it matters though, words are wind.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
She knows that the commander of the other forces is the Young Wolf, then she spies a young attractive guy walking around like he owns the drat place while guys twice or thrice his age defer to him. It's not all that hard to figure out.

Rape Jake.
Feb 23, 2012

by T. Mascis

Scuzzywuffit posted:

I thought Cat was always all uncomfortable in the Godswood and with the old Gods? And she made them build a sept at Winterfell?

Cat seemed to build the sept out of home-sickness and habit than anything holy and her memories of Riverrun's sept are of how beautiful it is rather than anything Godly (correct me if I'm misremembering). She also accepts that the Old God's have power in the North, which in contrast with Davos (who outright rejects Roller even in the face of his power), strikes me as the very definition of a superficial believer.

whowhatwhere posted:

From the wisest of threads:

:allears:

M Bison Saying "Yes! Yes!"

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Dead Man Posting posted:

Literally talking about how hot or not actresses (and actors) that are trying to portray a medieval era yet appeal to a premium cable audience is below that.

Seriously. Ros thrust the antler scepter in. Not swung across.

I'm not surprised goons have no idea how to swing a bat.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Tony Danza Claus posted:

Seriously. Ros thrust the antler scepter in. Not swung across.

I'm not surprised goons have no idea how to swing a bat.

Why would I want to swing a bat? They're kind of cute and I wouldn't want to wake them up just to mess with them. :ohdear:

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I really didn't think it was thrust inward. I thought there was more of a thwack sound than a squishy kinda noise. Umm.

I'm not going to re-watch that part just to find out.

TDC I have faith in you being right, anyway.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
If GRRM has taught me one thing, it's to always assume the worst from the GRRM.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I read about it before watching it, so was expecting a thrust, but it was totally a swing followed by a thwack sound.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Junkenstein posted:

I read about it before watching it, so was expecting a thrust, but it was totally a swing followed by a thwack sound.

Except you don't swing a club from the top unless you're a goon. Fulcrums don't work that way.

If she were swinging it, the pointy (phallic) end would hit her in the ribs and she'd miss the other girl by a mile.

Reasons the scene cuts away:

1. Someone getting hit with a club is too graphic

2. Option B. The GRRMiest option.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I just thought the thing was heavy and awkward, so she was having a hard time swinging it.

v:downs:v

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.
I'm sticking with the ground meat, no penetration theory.

The definitive answer will probably always remain a mystery, since I read somewhere that this was the actress who plays Daisy's third and final episode of her stint on the show.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Joramun posted:

I'm sticking with the ground meat, no penetration theory.

The definitive answer will probably always remain a mystery, since I read somewhere that this was the actress who plays Daisy's third and final episode of her stint on the show.

The show will cut ten minutes of Harrenhall and character development next week so Tyrion, Littlefinger and Ros can chat about it.

And it's working perfectly. Instead of connecting Renly to shadowbabby, The MENSA Thread is still discussing the GRRMpruder Film and debating whether there was a second whore on the grassy nuncle.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Tony Danza Claus posted:

Except you don't swing a club from the top unless you're a goon. Fulcrums don't work that way.

It's loving Ros, not Robert at the Trident.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Junkenstein posted:

Ros is Azor Ahai reborn.

She was plunging Lightbringer into her lover's heart.

(taking the indirect route)

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Talking about Azor Ahai, it sounds a little bit like 'Azores High', which brings nice warm summer weather to Britain and Northern Europe. That's right, Azor Ahai is a high-pressure weather system.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

Tony Danza Claus posted:

If GRRM has taught me one thing, it's to always assume the worst from the GRRM.
I don't know. If that were true, one could expect that at the end of AWDW Drogon had taken Dany somewhere and eaten her.

Instead Dany had poopy time.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Junkenstein posted:

But how can she seat the Iron Throne if she can't take it through fire and blood?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Rurik posted:

I don't know. If that were true, one could expect that at the end of AWDW Drogon had taken Dany somewhere and eaten her.

Instead Dany had poopy time.

GRRM is into scat, not vore.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince
This post is from ages ago, but I thought about it on the way home today and came up with an idea:

Ambiguatron posted:

If Jaime ends up stabbing Cersei to death and his sword bursts into flames and turns into Lightbringer, I'd be pleasantly surprised.
Not Cersei - Brienne.

Remember, Cersei isn't the poo poo for Jaime anymore, he's a changed man. He gave his sword to Brienne and told her to call it Oathkeeper. And Brienne looks up to him while Cersei looks down on him. Killing Cersei wouldn't be a sacrifice, but killing Brienne would. Especially if he didn't want to but had to.

Right now Brienne is taking Jaime to zombie Cat, who will undoubtedly think Jaime is to blame for all her miseries (remember, "Jaime Lannister sends his regards" - though stabbing was most certainly not how Jaime intended Roose to deliver that message). She will want to hang him or behead him or whatever and Jaime will make a fine speech about lost and found honor or something. Then Cat will present Jaime with an option: either be killed or kill Brienne with Oathkeeper - thus making it Oathbreaker and symbolically letting Jaime kill himself, or at least his new honor. Now if Jaime for some reason did this, everyone might be surprised as Oathkeeper bursts into fire after he plunges it into Brienne's Nissa Nissa.

What might happen from then on, I don't know.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Tony Danza Claus posted:

The MENSA Thread

God I wish that was the official name for it.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Why cookie Rocket posted:

God I wish that was the official name for it.
It is now.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

What does that make the non-spoiler thread? The Jon Snow Thread?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
The Aristocratic Gentlemen's Thread of Reasoned Debate:

NihilCredo posted:

Robot_Z, a friendly piece of advice before you misstep: you're going to be better off talking about this show in the spoiler thread. I see you continuously referring to the books and that's a thing that is really Not Welcome in this thread, not even with spoiler tags (see the OP). If you like this thread and want to keep posting here, please pretend that the books don't exist altogether.

"The book is broken up in chapters? Spoilers! :reddit: "

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
I really like the books, so keep that in mind when reading this. I'm not a Gurrrrrm hater.

I tried watching the TV show, but after four or five episodes in I had to stop. Besides all the cognitive dissonance from reading the books three times and then seeing similar events realized in a completely foreign way, my real problem with the HBO series is this:

It's Wildcards.

I'm not being facetious. It really is. It's a bunch of different writers (and producers, and actors, etc.) doing a shared-world take on a Song of Ice and Fire. Adding characters and scenes that may be reasonably induced from reading the books, but which did not previously exist and which probably shouldn't have. A bit of an over-fascination with gore and boobs. I don't know why I didn't think about this more before I watched the show, but watching the show became an enormous chore and I couldn't continue. It's Wildcards, with all the mediocrity that implies.

I'll continue enjoying the books, but I doubt I'll watch another minute of the show.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Urdnot Fire posted:

What does that make the non-spoiler thread?
That's the one we were talking about.

Tony Danza Claus posted:

Instead of connecting Renly to shadowbabby, The MENSA Thread is still discussing the GRRMpruder Film and debating whether there was a second whore on the grassy nuncle.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Joramun posted:

That's the one we were talking about.

Ah, my bad, I thought it was the other TVIV thread, the spoilers one.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Sexpansion posted:

I really like the books, so keep that in mind when reading this. I'm not a Gurrrrrm hater.

I tried watching the TV show, but after four or five episodes in I had to stop. Besides all the cognitive dissonance from reading the books three times and then seeing similar events realized in a completely foreign way, my real problem with the HBO series is this:

It's Wildcards.

I'm not being facetious. It really is. It's a bunch of different writers (and producers, and actors, etc.) doing a shared-world take on a Song of Ice and Fire. Adding characters and scenes that may be reasonably induced from reading the books, but which did not previously exist and which probably shouldn't have. A bit of an over-fascination with gore and boobs. I don't know why I didn't think about this more before I watched the show, but watching the show became an enormous chore and I couldn't continue. It's Wildcards, with all the mediocrity that implies.

I'll continue enjoying the books, but I doubt I'll watch another minute of the show.

....Wait, why the hell is that stopping you from watching the show?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Urdnot Fire posted:

Ah, my bad, I thought it was the other TVIV thread, the spoilers one.

The Elite Sophisticates Thread = no spoilers

The Goodie two-shoes Thread = Spoilers

The Bad Thread = the book barn's deep and contemplative deliberation on what it means to be Hodor

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
The Non-spoiler book discussion thread = :silent:

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Tony Danza Claus posted:

The Elite Sophisticates Thread = no spoilers

The Goodie two-shoes Thread = Spoilers

The Bad Thread = the book barn's deep and contemplative deliberation on what it means to be Hodor
And for their mascots, respectively:

Quentyn Martell,

Ned Stark,

Ramsay Bolton.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

whowhatwhere posted:

The Non-spoiler book discussion thread = :silent:

I forgot about that poo poo.

Who the gently caress waits for other people to catch up so you can read further? Or says "oh no I fell behind, gotta read extra tonight!"

You're turning reading into homework. Stop that.

The Anime Liker fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Apr 25, 2012

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Sexpansion posted:

It's Wildcards.

Me? I don't get HBO and have no impulse to sign up for it. Watched last season and pretty much feel the same way as you describe. Sounds like it's even worse this season, so I am happy to not be watching it.

Besides, this is not TVIV, it is TBB. :colbert:

NihilCredo posted:

rabblerabble

gently caress that guy.

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Apr 25, 2012

Smashurbanipal
Sep 12, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT BEING A SHITTY POSTER

Joramun posted:

And for their mascots, respectively:

Quentyn Martell,

Ned Stark,

HODOR

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
The bad thread is obviously Strong Belwas, making GBS threads in the direction of TVIV as they sit on their walls watching the horde approach.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Fog Tripper posted:

Me? I don't get HBO and have no impulse to sign up for it. Watched last season and pretty much feel the same way as you describe. Sounds like it's even worse this season, so I am happy to not be watching it.
TBH, it's all been worth it for Melisandre and Margaery alone. Their transition to the screen far surpassed my expectations.

Smashurbanipal
Sep 12, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT BEING A SHITTY POSTER
The guy playing Tywin does an amazing job, if not looking as he was described in the ~~**Sacred Texts**~~. He was supposed to have luxurious muttonchops topped by a gleaming bald dome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
I quite like what they've done with Margaery, but I don't think she was transitioned to the screen; she's a pretty different character in the books. She's capable of presenting as sweet and innocent in a way that Natalie Dormer simply doesn't, whether because of age or direction. Nobody seems to twig onto her other than Cersei, who's paranoid and jealous, and might be making it all up; there's a <1% chance that she really is some "perfect" innocent, virginal queen with no ambition or cunning in her.

Natalie Dormer's great, but she's simply not that.