Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Protip: enable developer options on your phone, then go into the developer options and turn off all the animations.

Done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimchandi
May 13, 2005
That finger on your temple is the barrel of my raygun
Doesn't that defeat the whole point of material design?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Slimchandi posted:

Doesn't that defeat the whole point of material design?

Yes, but it's in response to this incorrect post:

shadow puppet of a posted:

It just feels oddly vista-like. Clumsy. Lots of graphical effects, like an unnecessary flash of black & white screen when turning the screen off. Its vista-like in its need to be overly visual.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Wife's 2012 N7 updated to Lollipop a couple days ago.

It's spontaneously rebooted 10-ish times since.

I guess I'll try factory resetting it, but what are normal people who don't know WTF supposed to do? It's pretty shameful of Google to take a device that's working fine and make it useless unless you're savvy enough to twiddle around with it.

Also she's going to kill me because if all the game saves she's going to lose.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

Wife's 2012 N7 updated to Lollipop a couple days ago.

It's spontaneously rebooted 10-ish times since.

This was happening to my Nexus 5 and everything I read said to clear the system cache and that would fix it. I felt like mine was ready for a restore anyway, so I just did that instead of clearing the cache.

This should show you how to clear the cache which shouldn't mess with her saves.
http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-7-2013-rooting-roms-hacks/336913-guide-nexus-7-2012-2013-cache-partition-wipe.html

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

shadow puppet of a posted:

It just feels oddly vista-like. Clumsy. Lots of graphical effects, like an unnecessary flash of black & white screen when turning the screen off. Its vista-like in its need to be overly visual.

I respect your right to an opinion but it's an incredibly dumb one.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

My nexus 7 2013 still hasn't updated to lollipop. Google really dropped the ball on this update and ruined what was suppose to be a major advantage of buying the nexus line.

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat

I said come in! posted:

My nexus 7 2013 still hasn't updated to lollipop. Google really dropped the ball on this update and ruined what was suppose to be a major advantage of buying the nexus line.

Just side load it, it's super easy and takes about 5 minutes.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Did lollipop completely break the official Youtube app for anyone else's 2013 N7? Whenever I try to watch a video it stutters a few times and then says it can't play and to tap to retry (which fails). Very annoying problem and I have no idea what to do. It was working perfectly before the upgrade.

JoeMB
Aug 13, 2011

mod sassinator posted:

Did lollipop completely break the official Youtube app for anyone else's 2013 N7? Whenever I try to watch a video it stutters a few times and then says it can't play and to tap to retry (which fails). Very annoying problem and I have no idea what to do. It was working perfectly before the upgrade.

Yep is a known problem with Lollipop and Nexus 7 (2013). Only fix so far is to restart the tablet but even then that's temporary.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

JoeMB posted:

Yep is a known problem with Lollipop and Nexus 7 (2013). Only fix so far is to restart the tablet but even then that's temporary.

Damnit, way to go Google. I knew I should have waited longer to upgrade.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Magog posted:

One thing I haven't heard others encounter is a sound bug. Occasionally when the audio starts there is some static however it also occurs through my headset so this doesn't seem like faulty speakers rather some software issue.

Had this problem with my N9 after audio would play for a few hours, like listening to a long podcast. Ended up returning the device because of that and other issues. I know new products always have issues, but there are a shocking number of major bugs with the N9.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

There are really just a shocking number of bugs with lollipop. N9 got hit first since it launched with it, but all nexus devices will be feeling the pain soon enough.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Shadowgate posted:

Just side load it, it's super easy and takes about 5 minutes.

Well reading through this thread some more it sounds like its a good thing my tablet still hasn't updated. So Google still dropped by the ball big time but in a different way.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

bull3964 posted:

There are really just a shocking number of bugs with lollipop. N9 got hit first since it launched with it, but all nexus devices will be feeling the pain soon enough.

Yea my Ok Google still doesn't work. This must be what its like to have an angsty teenager named Ok Google, never responds back.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

I said come in! posted:

Well reading through this thread some more it sounds like its a good thing my tablet still hasn't updated. So Google still dropped by the ball big time but in a different way.

I'm pretty sure it's on purpose the update is delayed for the N7 2013 and I'm glad I did not sideload it yet.

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

Got home last night from my birthday dinner to see an OTA to Android 5.0 on my SHIELD Tablet. Went smoothly and for the couple hours I ahve used it, my tablet seems a bit snappier, but some apps crash, due to no 5.0 optimization. But all of the SHIELD stuff works well. And they implemented Material design to their stuff. Once annoyance, the notification bar pulls down the middle now (with both notifications and a 2nd pull down for settings and quick menu items), instead of settings and quick menu on the right and notifications on the left. Not a big deal, but takes some getting used to.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Boywunda posted:

Got home last night from my birthday dinner to see an OTA to Android 5.0 on my SHIELD Tablet. Went smoothly and for the couple hours I ahve used it, my tablet seems a bit snappier, but some apps crash, due to no 5.0 optimization. But all of the SHIELD stuff works well. And they implemented Material design to their stuff. Once annoyance, the notification bar pulls down the middle now (with both notifications and a 2nd pull down for settings and quick menu items), instead of settings and quick menu on the right and notifications on the left. Not a big deal, but takes some getting used to.

Try a two finger swipe for settings.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/11/19/flash-all-the-things-lollipop-ota-update-zip-file-roundup/ LRX21L->21R update for anyone with a nexus 9 stuck on 21L

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

beerinator posted:

Try a two finger swipe for settings.

Thanks for that tip. My annoyance was more that the notifications are centered now. I hold in landscape mode 90% of the time, so I liked using my left thumb to address my notifications, now it's centered and I have to adjust. Like I said, a minor annoyance that takes some getting used to.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Thanks in advance for beta testing LP for my Tab S and Note 4!

(trying to be somewhat optimstic about leaving the Nexus line)

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

beerinator posted:

This was happening to my Nexus 5 and everything I read said to clear the system cache and that would fix it. I felt like mine was ready for a restore anyway, so I just did that instead of clearing the cache.

This should show you how to clear the cache which shouldn't mess with her saves.
http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-7-2013-rooting-roms-hacks/336913-guide-nexus-7-2012-2013-cache-partition-wipe.html

Unfortunately, this didn't fix it. Google really hosed up this update.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Thermopyle posted:

Unfortunately, this didn't fix it. Google really hosed up this update.

At least backup the saves and things first: either try Helium backup, or (much better imo) root and use titanium backup.

Zosologist
Mar 30, 2007
So I bought a nexus 9 to use at work to do inventory and what not, and I'd like to find a folio style case that I can keep other things like pens, maybe a small notebook and purveyor invoices in. Is there anything like that available?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

bull3964 posted:

The biggest problem is the encryption in Lollipop isn't using hardware but software so the device is really, really slow. This is why the 6 is so slow compared to other devices, same for the 9. You can't even turn the encryption off unless you install a modified boot.img which will wipe the device and stop OTAs.

Without encryption on, the Nexus 6 is a lot faster than the Nexus 5.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Zosologist posted:

So I bought a nexus 9 to use at work to do inventory and what not, and I'd like to find a folio style case that I can keep other things like pens, maybe a small notebook and purveyor invoices in. Is there anything like that available?

I've not seen a case offered anywhere. The ones on Amazon either are un-reviewed or renamed from another case so the positive reviews carry forward.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
What is the most graphically intense game for android at the moment? I want to see what the Shield can do outside of streaming gameplay.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

TheFlight will make you cry, as a flight sim should.

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

Budgie posted:

What is the most graphically intense game for android at the moment? I want to see what the Shield can do outside of streaming gameplay.

I don't know what the most graphically intense game is, but I've been playing Star Horizon on my SHIELD and it seems pretty graphically intense.

I also bough and installed Half Life 2

Jul 11, 2003

by astral
There 2 LEDs on the N9 which seem unused. One at the top on the frame, theres another at the bottom which only lights up white when you charging from a completely dead state.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Is anyone sure that the top thing in the frame isn't just a plastic spacer and not an actual LED?

I can't see anything in the teardown that would point to it being an LED.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

bull3964 posted:

Is anyone sure that the top thing in the frame isn't just a plastic spacer and not an actual LED?

I can't see anything in the teardown that would point to it being an LED.

It flashes red.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

5436 posted:

It flashes red.

When? I've never seen it.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

bull3964 posted:

When? I've never seen it.

Low battery

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

5436 posted:

Low battery

The low battery indicator I got was from the lower LED in the bezel, not the thing in the frame.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Anyone know a store which sells matte screen protectors for the N7 '13? I'm trying to reduce the glare while reading books and forums :yaycloud: Thanks.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

As to the LEDs on the Nexus 9, if it's anything like most HTC devices since the Passion (which was the Nexus One), the LEDs are incapable of being used for anything other than battery/charging status and even if you do manage to get them to work for notifications they aren't RGB LEDs but at the most dual-color ones.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Alder posted:

Anyone know a store which sells matte screen protectors for the N7 '13? I'm trying to reduce the glare while reading books and forums :yaycloud: Thanks.

http://www.amazon.com/s/url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=nexus+2nd+7+matte

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

edit: didn't see the recommend me a tablet thread, sorry

a_gelatinous_cube fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Nov 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Anyone have personal exp w/matte screen protectors?