Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Tenebrais posted:

It should be there unless you're working from old raws. Did the tileset include raw files, or did it only affect the Data folder? That would probably break it if it's not up to date.

You know I think it might have. I'm using spacefox and I think it changed the font along with a few other things possibly. How would I go about re-updating my raws without breaking my save? Would I just copy and paste from a fresh download or do I need to avoid messing with some things?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Loopoo posted:

Be careful, if the Goblin Lasher so much as farts, your population will plummet due to a loyalty cascade.

Taverns are great until you realise how stupid they are in terms of all the deadly fights and vampiric visitors it lets in. I hope you enjoy the wonderment whilst it lasts.

I haven't actually had any loyalty cascades yet but yeah there are definitely lethal fights that explode. I just killed about 5 humans in my tavern, one of which was a lady consort. Hope the human civ doesn't mind!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I had a human lady consort come to my fort and demand to join to military rather than just sit around eating and drinking all day. She is terrified of everything and her status screen is filled with thoughts of her being horrified of seeing everything from goblins to crundles getting killed.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Internet Kraken posted:

I had a human lady consort come to my fort and demand to join to military rather than just sit around eating and drinking all day. She is terrified of everything and her status screen is filled with thoughts of her being horrified of seeing everything from goblins to crundles getting killed.
She should eventually harden up to that, though, right? Or no?

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

Put her through the danger room naked. If she survives then you'll know she's hardened enough.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Elth posted:

Put her through the danger room naked. If she survives then you'll know she's hardened enough.

:catstare:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Hey my dwarves discovered a thing!

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Moridin920 posted:

Hey my dwarves discovered a thing!

That's pretty neat!

I'm curious how old that world is? Toady has stated that at some point these discoveries will actually unlock associated technologies, and a technology related to knowing what ores are seems rather important.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Alehkhs posted:

That's pretty neat!

I'm curious how old that world is? Toady has stated that at some point these discoveries will actually unlock associated technologies, and a technology related to knowing what ores are seems rather important.

137 years old - started the fort in year 125.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Dec 26, 2015

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

i never want to mod anything related to body, tissue, or body detail plan tokens again

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

You know I think it might have. I'm using spacefox and I think it changed the font along with a few other things possibly. How would I go about re-updating my raws without breaking my save? Would I just copy and paste from a fresh download or do I need to avoid messing with some things?

The safest thing is to copy and paste the Raw>Objects folder from a fresh download, though it will then break some of the tileset graphics (so you might see grates in the walls or what have you).
Alternatively, you could go into that folder and copy everything except the inorganic_* files (but do copy inorganic_other; just leave the rest), so you'll keep any of the reconfiguring of the rock images. None of the normal rocks and dirts got changed in the last update, just the derivatives in inorganic_other.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Hmm, now it crashes as soon as I load in after copying the new raws over. Is there any specific raw file I can paste in there that deals only with bookcases? Like everything else related to libraries seems to be in, I just need the furniture piece. Just dumping the new raws seems to break something and I can't really tell what.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

It'll be in item_tools. Bear in mind though you'll need to generate a new world for the new raws to take effect. You could even just copy the bookcase entry and paste into the new one, it's near the bottom.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Oh, so no way to fix it on my current file? That's super disappointing, I already put like 5 hours into this fort and had a massive library planned out and everything. :(

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

This dwarven mountain academy poo poo is so precious oh my god. :allears: I'm getting scholars from all over and splurting their ideas about pulleys and tidal forces into my fresh quires, now I've just got to get them copied out while they're all busy debating foraging behavior.

Something happened

something happened

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Well, it had a good run while it lasted, but I think it's time to retire my fort for a new one so I can build that super library in a new save with the proper raws.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

Well, it had a good run while it lasted, but I think it's time to retire my fort for a new one so I can build that super library in a new save with the proper raws.

Which sprite pack is this? I like it a lot more than my current one. Also after seeing this I suppose I should redesign my shamecube dining hall.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Decrepus posted:

Which sprite pack is this? I like it a lot more than my current one. Also after seeing this I suppose I should redesign my shamecube dining hall.

Spacefox its pretty good and got an unofficial update for 42.03

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

So I tried a thing.

[horrible teleprompter noises]

But add a little substitution magic and

Bing! A few line breaks, a new line for when the thing is the best or worst at something complete with some color magic and a bit of rewording that I'd say makes reading the first bit hurt my head less.

So how, then? Like this:
|Written on the item is |[B]It contains |
|The written portion consists of |[B]The text itself is |
|The work has a single chapter. |[B]The work has a single chapter. |
|The work has |[B]The work has |

See the [B]? That makes the text prompt punch Return twice, making that gap after the first sentence. [P] is for just one press. The second one is used for codices, while the first one is more for scrolls and such.

|Overall, the prose is amateurish at best|[B]The prose [C:4:0:0]evokes no emotions[C:7:0:0] save for pity towards its author|

[C:x:y:z] is for text painting. It uses the same color tokens as the building raws - foreground, background and "brighter foreground color? y/n". 7:0:0 dark gray is the basic default.

| entitled | named "|
|, authored by |" by |
| page |-page |

I get long-winded when I'm excited, but Toady usually leaves enough room to make things tighter. See where you could stick color tokens to make the book's title stand out? There's a trap, that second line isn't used when the book has no known author. If you want to do so, you'd have to stick "back to dark gray" tokens in front of all the different variants of "It concerns huhglhglhglahg" to be sure.

scamtank fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Dec 26, 2015

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
My game's been crashing for no reason I can detect. I hope Toady releases the new build soon.

e: well i loaded another fort and have gotten locked into the mug related trading crash. The issue is marked as resolved when I look it up, but I'm not seeing an actual solution. Gonna try unmarking mugs and see how things go.

POOL IS CLOSED fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Dec 26, 2015

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Mayor

mayor wh

why I mean how are you carrying four large bauxite pots

in your right hand

set them down, we are hungry

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

:confused:

Don't keep intelligent creatures in cages too long I guess?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I think the problem is a dwarf fed it after midnight.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Bay 12 Games ‏@Bay12Games 10m10 minutes ago

Dwarf Fortress 0.42.04 is up at http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves Larger cities and larger elephants

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Well gently caress, and right as DFHack kicks in gear. I suppose the mapping of the new structures is still gained ground, though.

e: Giant elephants confirmed something like 8x the size of standard elephants. At 40 metric tons or so each, think of them as real burly humpback whales. Walking around.

scamtank fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Dec 27, 2015

Automatonic Water
Jul 8, 2012

dig thru the ditches
and burn thru the witches
and slam in the back of my.........
.........DRAGULA

Yams Fan

scamtank posted:

e: Giant elephants confirmed something like 8x the size of standard elephants. At 40 metric tons or so each, think of them as real burly humpback whales. Walking around.

Do they have to graze and if so, are they doomed to a slow death by starvation if you try to keep them?

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

flavor effigy posted:

Do they have to graze and if so, are they doomed to a slow death by starvation if you try to keep them?

I hope they eat in a way that dwarves approve of. That is to say, I want them to devour entire trees.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
:toot: My last wish for buttmas, fulfilled!

Has anyone had a magma pump stack over flow? There's a 1/7 depth magma pool on the pump tile dwarves have to stand on in order to operate the machine, and I don't know why. I used all magma safe materials (green glass tubes and screws plus quartzite blocks).

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

scamtank posted:

Well gently caress, and right as DFHack kicks in gear. I suppose the mapping of the new structures is still gained ground, though.

Do they still fit in a single wooden cage?

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
This is it, this is gonna be the fort where I realize my dream of an elite gorilla warfare squadron. 10 elite marksdwarves with 10 elite trained war gorillas at their sides. Are elves gonna be the only way of obtaining gorillas for training? Is it even worth going through the trouble just to make a stupid pun based military squad?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

This is it, this is gonna be the fort where I realize my dream of an elite gorilla warfare squadron. 10 elite marksdwarves with 10 elite trained war gorillas at their sides. Are elves gonna be the only way of obtaining gorillas for training? Is it even worth going through the trouble just to make a stupid pun based military squad?

Yeah. There's a way to enable trade agreements with them so you can request gorillas but I have no idea how to do it anymore :)

Also requires the elf civ in question to have access to gorillas in the first place of course. Could get unlucky with how the biomes work out.

e: \/\/\/ you can always add [TRAINABLE] to a creature's raws in your save file and war train them. No world regen is necessary.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Dec 27, 2015

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

You could always catch some. They show up fairly regularly in tropical moist broadleaf forests, aka the best biome (durian wine!). They also show up in swamps, where you can also find tigers (also trainable!) and saltwater crocodiles (can't be war trained, but can be tamed, and they produce 20-70 eggs per clutch, AND you can put them in a moat!).

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

And a splendid, 1-page codex entitled, Anatomy: My Only Mistake.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Can anyone recommend some good offline resources for the game? I've got a long WiFi-less flight ahead of me and I haven't messed with the game since Taverns were added and I'm not sure how they work into the flow of a fortress. I've also never nailed down getting a military to work with any sense of reliability, so any infographics on that would be appreciated.

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!
Huh, got a petition from someone to join the fort whose name does not appear to appear in the Other units list. Did a vampire just sign their real name on the Petition to my mayor, because that's pretty great.

edit: Nope, I'm dumb. It was a useless Bard that I let in previously for the purpose of hanging out in my tavern and drinking, only now he wishes to lend his fisherman skills.

Trundel fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Dec 27, 2015

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

Tunicate posted:

Bay 12 Games ‏@Bay12Games 10m10 minutes ago

Dwarf Fortress 0.42.04 is up at http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves Larger cities and larger elephants

"Made animals less afraid of casual relationships" The sexual revolution we didn't know we needed! :iit:

Mu.
Sep 15, 2003

The thing about Forevereal Modding Mu is that he loves editing files and wants others to download his permanent mods. Fully editing, rich text, altering files and loving it. Download his mods and enjoy it.

This is Monom Gulnasnish. He is never the slightest bit cheerful about anything, and he is conflicted by this as he values parties and merrymaking in the abstract.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Mu. posted:

This is Monom Gulnasnish. He is never the slightest bit cheerful about anything, and he is conflicted by this as he values parties and merrymaking in the abstract.

:smith:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Mu. posted:

You need to build the biggest, baddest, most booze filled tavern and host the most epic party of ALL TIME. Starring Katy Perry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Mu. posted:

Get that dwarf a Goblet for his Drink.