Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cricket
This poll is closed.
Blackface in crowd 129 55.36%
References to Lord of the Rings 104 44.64%
Total: 233 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Strauss has had a meeting with KP and told him he'll never be picked for England again. This is disappointing but now Strauss will last about 6 months in that role as Vaughan will have the knives out as soon as possible and none of the sky lot liked him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

serious gaylord posted:

Strauss has had a meeting with KP and told him he'll never be picked for England again. This is disappointing but now Strauss will last about 6 months in that role as Vaughan will have the knives out as soon as possible and none of the sky lot liked him.

Alistair, show me on the doll where Kevin touched you

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Pietersen probably would've been picked again if it wasn't for the book. He was never coming back after that.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It's a bold move. Maybe he'll drop Cook next.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
The only decent bowler for Leicestershire today was an Australian. Also, KP scored 326 and 326 is the number of seats needed to form a majority in the house of commons, makes you think

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Lionel Richie posted:

Pietersen probably would've been picked again if it wasn't for the book. He was never coming back after that.

Yeah. As much as it's entertaining watching the ECB tying themselves in knots over this, I don't see the point in bringing him back unless it's to prove that people get picked on form and nothing else.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Scylo posted:

The only decent bowler for Leicestershire today was an Australian. Also, KP scored 326 and 326 is the number of seats needed to form a majority in the house of commons, makes you think

If they've ended up at Leicestershire then something's gone wrong in their career

*checks*

oh Mark Cosgrove plays for them

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

serious gaylord posted:

Got a source for this rumour?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The bbc? http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/32699465

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

gay picnic defence posted:

What happens if you bowl at the top of off stump?

Those would be byes or runs to the batsman in that case.

He moves outside leg and smashes it through the offside for four or he will move the other way and push it through the onside

Bowling "properly" is the way to go mind. He would miss eventually because as nimble as he is he is still not as balanced as he could be moving around like that. Just bowlers do feel pressure. They are human. When ABdV is belting them everywhere they start to think about what tricky poo poo they can do to put him off rather than using line and length to pressure him.

Of course this is where the game has been modified to suit the batsman. Bowlers could once bowl a good over at the batsman's face to stop them moving about so much.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
Root is the vice captain now instead of Bell

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Strauss has said that he couldn't pick Pieterson due to distrust and personal issues.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
Kill the ECB. Literally murder them all.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

The Guardian posted:

Before the newspapers, Strauss has been talking to the BBC’s Jonathan Agnew on Five Live.

Agnew pushed him to clarify exactly what the “trust issues” with Pietersen are but Strauss declined. “A number of issues over a long period of time. I don’t need to spell them out for you Aggers, you’ve been there all the way through it.”

Well what about spelling it out for us regular folk who aren't palling around with you away on tour all the time, you dimwit?

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
i reckon giving king tory absolute power over english cricket can only be a good thing

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Lungboy posted:

Strauss has said that he couldn't pick Pieterson due to distrust and personal issues.

Strauss is a complete loving idiot.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
https://twitter.com/KumarSanga2/status/598100797256278016

"I don't trust @KP24 enough for him to play for England but I trust him enough to advise me on ODI cricket" #strausslogic .

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
The ECB is cool.

I love how they could have said nothing and let him rot but the egos in play need to make a worthless statement then defend it poorly.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Scylo posted:

"I don't trust @KP24 enough for him to play for England but I trust him enough to advise me on ODI cricket" #strausslogic .

Lmao Sanga owns.

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

I hope KP keeps scoring centuries and England keep losing so it becomes more and more embarrassing for them. I want to reach peak English Cricket.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Scylo posted:

Sangas ftw.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Torygraph vote on "Do you think KP should be recalled?" is 90% in favour :lol:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Is there currently any country in the world with a competent, clean cricket board?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Afghanistan?

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
tbh it would be rough to drop one of root/ballance/bell to make room for KP in the middle order at this point.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I don't think they have the necessary to do something like Cook, Lyth, Ballance, Pieterson, Bell, Root, Buttler, SPINNER, Jordan, Broad, Anderson. They'd just not get the wickets based on recent form.

Also it lacks the contractually required all-rounder.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Pietersen was never going to be selected in the near future, if ever, it's just Graves' comments which muddied the waters. To be fair to Strauss he's gone and drawn a clear line under it. Whether it's right or not is up for debate, but not the intention behind it.

Andrew did nothing wrong.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
He's gone about not-picking him in a really dumb way though.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
somebody remind me why KP was dropped in the first place

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
355* is pretty good though, no matter the opposition.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

goatface posted:

I don't think they have the necessary to do something like Cook, Lyth, Ballance, Pieterson, Bell, Root, Buttler, SPINNER, Jordan, Broad, Anderson. They'd just not get the wickets based on recent form.

Also it lacks the contractually required all-rounder.

That is also unfair on Ali who is perfectly good with the bat. I agree we need a spinner and as much as I like Jordan he needs to be dropped for an express pace English Brett Lee

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Seams posted:

He and Carberry were scapegoats for the Ashes whitewash (despite being the two top scorers), as they were putting their full weight behind Cooky and Friends

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Doctor Cave posted:

355* is pretty good though, no matter the opposition.

2 runs short of the surrey record.

Seams posted:

Because he didnt toe the party line by saying the team were playing like garbage and so he was blamed for the entire ashes loss despite being one of the only players to come out of it with their reputation intact.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Vaughans weilding the knife already.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/32712811

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

serious gaylord posted:

2 runs short of the surrey record.

Because he didnt toe the party line by saying the team were playing like garbage and so he was blamed for the entire ashes loss despite being one of the only players to come out of it with their reputation intact.

I seem to remember he also at one stage "looked out of the window and appeared bored".

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
He didn't provide enough positive thinking to maintain the integrity of the hugbox.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Lionel Richie posted:

Pietersen was never going to be selected in the near future, if ever, it's just Graves' comments which muddied the waters. To be fair to Strauss he's gone and drawn a clear line under it. Whether it's right or not is up for debate, but not the intention behind it.

Andrew did nothing wrong.

That plus KP probably shouldn't have been called up after textgate to begin with. I was honestly quite surprised he was back when it happened. Pietersen being snubbed was probably inevitable anyway considering Strauss called him a oval office live on air last year, and all the centuries Pietersen might hit in county cricket won't make one iota of difference.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 21:06 on May 12, 2015

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost

goatface posted:

He's gone about not-picking him in a really dumb way though.

There are so many other outs for Strauss.
"We are looking forward", "the middle order is set" or pick literally any number of explanations.

Instead he said "personal" reasons and then didn't elaborate.

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
I suppose they misled KP by suggesting he'd be selected if he smashed the ball in the various Shires instead of smashing it over cheerleaders' heads in Vishakhapatnam.

Then again, all they promised is he "won't be ignored by the selectors" and he's certainly not being :airquote: ignored :airquote:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
KP's telegraph column

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/cricket/kevinpietersen/11600580/Kevin-Pietersen-My-fury-at-England-deceit.html

I really hope this is actually true lol

quote:

I asked him if he thought that a new coach not being able to pick perhaps his best team was the right thing to do for the fans. Especially in an Ashes summer against a tough Australian team, who we’ll have to be at the top of our game to beat. He started throwing statistics around. I said: “Please do not sit in a meeting with me, telling me I can’t play for England and start lobbing stats at me to justify it.”

Centusin fucked around with this message at 22:30 on May 12, 2015