Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

THE BAR posted:

I, uh, do hope that's a doll.

It was, but that just takes it from "gruesome" to "horrifying".

They burned an effigy of the statsminister because they want to be free to ignore public health concerns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

military cervix
Dec 24, 2006

Hey guys

TheFluff posted:

https://www.dn.se/debatt/det-ar-inte-strategin-som-forklarar-svenska-dodstalen/

tl;dr: quite unsurprisingly most heavy lockdown stuff is mostly ineffective and there is no real correlation that says heavy restrictions => less spread. masks don't work nearly as well as people claim they do either and cannot be used as a substitute for isolation/social distancing (that's not an argument against using them, just an argument against using them to do things you wouldn't do without a mask). I'd assume full contact tracing of every single case could be effective but very few countries are even capable of doing that. basically, getting unlucky with very early spread reduces the effectiveness of all subsequent restrictions.

also, sweden just closed the border for entries from norway. no, not the other way around.

This is interesting. Has he published an actual statistical analysis somewhere? The immediate relationship between strong measures and low covid-rates doesn't at first glance seem to be as strong as you would expect. But I'm a little sceptical about him being hung up on initial R0-rates. These are very difficult to estimate, particularly in situations with little testing. His explanations for differing R0-rates between Norway and Sweden are sort of a stretch.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

military cervix posted:

This is interesting. Has he published an actual statistical analysis somewhere? The immediate relationship between strong measures and low covid-rates doesn't at first glance seem to be as strong as you would expect. But I'm a little sceptical about him being hung up on initial R0-rates. These are very difficult to estimate, particularly in situations with little testing. His explanations for differing R0-rates between Norway and Sweden are sort of a stretch.

I'm curious too. But the general idea that it's too simply to draw a correlation between measures and death rate is worth keeping in mind. An expat living in Praag kept taunting the rest of our facebook walls all spring about how moronic Sweden's policy was and that if they just did like the Czechs then there'd be no problem because they had low covid rates. Well, a few months later the Czech Republic was one of the deadliest place in Europe with, well, exactly the same measures, and suddenly those posts dried up.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

lilljonas posted:

I'm curious too. But the general idea that it's too simply to draw a correlation between measures and death rate is worth keeping in mind. An expat living in Praag kept taunting the rest of our facebook walls all spring about how moronic Sweden's policy was and that if they just did like the Czechs then there'd be no problem because they had low covid rates. Well, a few months later the Czech Republic was one of the deadliest place in Europe with, well, exactly the same measures, and suddenly those posts dried up.
Yes, the Czech Republic bungled the response the second time around, thus managing to land itself in the same "loving incompetent" camp that Sweden had set up shop in right from the start. Hell, the fact that they did so well for the first wave and so poorly on the second is like perfect evidence that the measures they enacted the first time around, and didn't the second, are actually effective and could've done wonders in Sweden. The obvious one being the closure of schools.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

This is what happens when sub-80 IQ football hooligans get their booksmart friends to read them Qanon and antivaxx bullshit and decide to become a political force because football clubs are hurting a bit under a century pandemic.

Not to repeat myself, but:

Revelation 2-13 posted:

Another "men in black" demonstration in copenhagen. I don't know what's worse; their idiotic name or their moronic purpose. Jfc.

What's worst is how they loving desecrated Bella Ciao.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVo5zBL1-XE

THE BAR posted:

I, uh, do hope that's a doll.

It was an effigy of Mette Frederiksen bearing the words "Hun må og skal aflives".

SplitSoul fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Jan 24, 2021

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

in norway there definitely does look to be an inverse correlation between severity of measures and rate of growth in cases

that may be an effect of the measures directly or it may be an effect of the of people getting more disciplined as stuff gets more serious. who knows

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

SplitSoul posted:

It was an effigy of Mette Frederiksen bearing the words "Hun må og skal aflives".

I know, but they sure spent a lot of time making it look like a real, charred corpse.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

THE BAR posted:

I know, but they sure spent a lot of time making it look like a real, charred corpse.

It's a bad sign when your society starts to resemble the plots of Wicker Man or Midsummar.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

actually what's the deal with danish covid protesters being so militant? we've had some protests here as well, but nothing approaching your level

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

THE BAR posted:

Ehhhh

V. Illych L. posted:

actually what's the deal with danish covid protesters being so militant? we've had some protests here as well, but nothing approaching your level

Like I wrote further up, they're evidently primarily from the hooligan milieu, at least that seems to be Redox' take on them.

SplitSoul fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jan 24, 2021

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

I didn't say the doll looked convincing, but those internal parts are a step beyond.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

THE BAR posted:

I didn't say the doll looked convincing, but those internal parts are a step beyond.

I think it's just a coincidence. From the looks of it it was a store mannequin of some sort, but I haven't studied every picture.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Are they anti COVID19 measures protests or like...an excuse to be loud and angry?

(Yes it can be both but I missed the context)

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

teen witch posted:

Are they anti COVID19 measures protests or like...an excuse to be loud and angry?

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

There seems to be a whole lot of intersectionality between people with a deep-rooted mistrust of the government because politicians make mistakes, people who're heavily into conspiracy theories, people who believe in alternative medicine, and people who deny that COVID-19 exists and/or is dangerous.

I wonder how that'll work, once they realize that their beliefs are mutually exclusive, and then that everyone elses beliefs are dumb.
Add football hooligans who just want to make noise because they're slightly miffed to that list, I guess.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

teen witch posted:

Anti-mask, anti-restrictions, anti-"Agenda 21" and all sorts of other conspiracy poo poo. What little Redox had on them suggested football hooligans upset, among other things, about lockdowns and restrictions hurting their preferred football clubs, but latching onto other dumb crap to widen their base. Or something like that. It's all very stupid.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

fnox posted:

Besides, this poo poo with the masks, they obviously know masks work otherwise they wouldn't recommend it for people travelling using public transport on rush hours. The logic there being, you can't avoid not keeping distance, and you also don't have good enough air circulation. Why would that not apply to, say, going to the mall, or the store, or a public building? How about the workplace? What could possibly be different then?

I don't know if they've explained their reasoning for not wanting to recommend masks for a long time but I'd assume that they did so because they didn't want to send mixed signals about isolation (that isolation would be less important if you were wearing a mask). They just really didn't want you to go to the mall or a public building at all, and didn't want to lessen the strength of that message with a "but if you have to...". I don't know if I agree with that rationale but I can see some logic in it. Since they've had to abandon that line now I don't know why they wouldn't recommend masks in almost any public setting though.

military cervix posted:

I don't know if he's published, but I don't think so. His recent published papers seems to all be regarding malaria. The original article on dn.se had some links to the datasets he was using at least. As a professor at Karolinska he is a public figure so maybe he'd respond to an email with some polite questions. I'd expect his inbox to be full of hate mail at the moment though.

I'd agree that very early numbers are probably sketchy. Regarding early reaction times in Sweden and Norway I also believe that Sweden was slower to react in the sense that the spread had gotten further by the time actions were taken, so in practical terms the reaction was slower. I'd say that's something you can pin on FHM, and that mistake was repeated in the fall. I do think he's right though when he says that there's no reason to believe that harsher restrictions would have helped in the Swedish case. Now, earlier restrictions on the other hand might have, I suspect, but I have no actual evidence to support that.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jan 24, 2021

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

SplitSoul posted:

What's worst is how they loving desecrated Bella Ciao.

Good lord, that's an atrocity worthy of going to the Hague.

Color me un-surprised that it's connected to sports team fans. Holy poo poo the amount of money we waste on police resources every time those idiots have a ball-kicking championship or whatever is insane.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
https://www.gp.se/nyheter/g%F6teborg/gulnar-v%E4grar-jobba-utan-munskydd-kan-f%E5-sparken-1.40324026

Cool cool cool cool cool cool cool

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Wanna come be norwegian? It's pretty cool.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Best part of it is that the comments mention that the boss who is enforcing no mask use at work is working from home due to being in a risk group.

Gedt
Oct 3, 2007

Ett litet lol:

https://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/a/Blyy3Q/bensinupproret-om-medlemsraset-det-ar-en-katastrof

Lookit, someone got coopted, and sabotaged their own movement - and are now planning a parlimentary career in riksdagen.

Shocker

E: im being mildly facetious here, but it walks like duck, talks like a duck..

Gedt fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jan 25, 2021

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Poil posted:

I want to get off Sweden's Wild Ride. :cripes:
:same:

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

One of the upsides of the near genocidal levels of mismanagement of Corona in Sweden. Is that since the socdems (more like suckdems) will be completely annihilated in the next election. At least SD won't get the chance of acting as kingmaker for at least another 2 elections.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Katt posted:

One of the upsides of the near genocidal levels of mismanagement of Corona in Sweden. Is that since the socdems (more like suckdems) will be completely annihilated in the next election. At least SD won't get the chance of acting as kingmaker for at least another 2 elections.

That's not really where things are heading (yet). The ones on the block are MP, L and KD. For M and S covid has been a blessing.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

MiddleOne posted:

That's not really where things are heading (yet). The ones on the block are MP, L and KD. For M and S covid has been a blessing.

I dont think they need to do anything att all to become part of the royalty. Just sitt back and let S and MP immolate, the less they do the less they can gently caress up.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

18.8 BILLION for the animal abusers. Absolute insanity. NEVER again let a neolib tell you "We can't afford it" or ask "Where will the money come from?".

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

It's more than ever other industry has gotten, combined.

Just utterly absurd.

Azram Legion
Jan 23, 2005

Drunken Poet Glory
It's a semi-bribe meant to make the whole thing go away, I think.

I saw this incredible poo poo head in the local news complaining that it isn't enough: https://www.tvmidtvest.dk/holstebro/skuffet-minkfamilie-om-milliardaftale-der-bliver-ikke-penge-til-alle

Quote: "Jeg har vanskeligt ved at se, hvordan de kan spise os af med 18,5 milliarder, når vi taler om et helt erhverv og følgeerhverv."

My suggestion is that they should live one week under circumstances comparable to those they kept mink under, in order to receive their compensation.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

KozmoNaut posted:

It's more than ever other industry has gotten, combined.

Just utterly absurd.

What, it's to be shared among the one thousand mink farmers. Basically peanuts if you think about it. Those poor poor farmers.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Potrzebie posted:

What, it's to be shared among the one thousand mink farmers. Basically peanuts if you think about it. Those poor poor farmers.

It's barely enough for a pair of shoes, let alone shoes for the entire mink molesting family.

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
Sound almost like they are buying out the mink business entirely. The gov might as well shut it down now as the farmers got enough to pretty much just walk away whole.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Threadkiller Dog posted:

Sound almost like they are buying out the mink business entirely. The gov might as well shut it down now as the farmers got enough to pretty much just walk away whole.

No, the holdouts will wait for the temporary ban to end, SuccDems will be too scared to extend it, and we'll bounce the then 40 different human variants around the mink reservoir a few times and see what comes out.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

SplitSoul posted:

No, the holdouts will wait for the temporary ban to end, SuccDems will be too scared to extend it, and we'll bounce the then 40 different human variants around the mink reservoir a few times and see what comes out.

The danish strain will be what finally wipes out the swedish menance and allows for the reunion of eastern Denmark with the motherland, mission accomplished.

:denmark:

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
Jokes on you guys when the zombie minks eat you all, while we blow the bridge and save the joyful scanians from your menace once again.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Threadkiller Dog posted:

Jokes on you guys when the zombie minks eat you all, while we blow the bridge and save the joyful scanians from your menace once again.

Minks swim.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

https://www.nytimes.com/1995/02/12/world/sweden-says-those-russian-subs-were-minks.html

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Scania, 2030

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010

Tegnell bet it all on zombie minks not doing it. Who could have known?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Threadkiller Dog posted:

Tegnell bet it all on zombie minks not doing it. Who could have known?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Watching the Danish government squirm under the boot of Big Mink is so tragic it's hilarious.

A real country would have a proper PMC or oil company do that but Denmark can only muster Big Mink as their evil hyper mega corp.