Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Piss Meridian
Mar 25, 2020

by Pragmatica

Marcus Elden posted:

One! Hey hey kids I’m talking voting
Two! Here comes boaking accident. Again - Boating accident, boating accident.
Three! Sure as as sure can be. Bada bing bada boom I have to go now. Learn from a professional, kid.

Alright Mr. Elden we're ready for your sex doll dialog recording

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Hrist posted:

I remember seeing this one when it was new and thinking, "I can't believe they had Homer almost try meth" And then I found out he loves weed in an episode a few seasons before that anyway, so nevermind. I think that was that episode, anyway.
They did a purgatory-era episode about medicinal weed where Homer gets high, and every few seasons they'd call back to it when the situation arose (The Simpsons Are Going To The Hague!). A fairly recent episode, one of the decent-enough ones, was a riff on Boyhood and a documentary on how Bart might grow up, unchained from all the canon they'd started to accumulate around the future premise (Yes, there is a three-episode arc where their future circumstances carry over and Bart has a wife). That has Homer choosing to switch from drinking to smoking, and I really like that choice, it feels true to the character and not a device to let the writers make hackneyed comedy.

And of course, as perennial, the classic years did jokes about Homer smoking. In high school the principal calls him and Barney "Springfield's answer to Cheech and Chong", and when he and Marge are sending the kids off to Kamp Krusty Marge imparts her final bit of mothering - "Remember: leaves of three, leave them be". "Leaves of four, eat some more. Aheheheh". And again, these aren't so much (or completely) "dude weed" references but are rooted in character. It's like the discussion we've had a dozen times about how they use movie references, but the jokes and sequences still work even if you miss it.

Homer and Bart going to Amsterdam where Krusty is being tried in the ICC for his general behavior and Homer's like "can I get a DOOB in the courthose cafeteria" meanwhile Lisa falls in love with music at a performing arts camp guest starring Flight of the Concords, not so much

Daikloktos fucked around with this message at 11:11 on May 9, 2020

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Wait, I guess he was straight up just smoking in the boys room there, wasn't he? Another thing that went over my head as a kid... and I actually guess I never pick the prom one to rewatch. Huh.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Mr Interweb posted:

i always heard it as "boating" and always thought it worked as a joke because who gets their fingers injured while on a boat?

Maybe :thejoke: but there are a huge number of ways to injure your fingers while boating.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Boat 'em away toys.

dads_work_files
May 14, 2008

important_document.avi

Skinner injured his hand during the ambush on his patrol boat in Da Nang on Valentine's Day 1969 - a boating incident. The man whispering was Dr. Nick, who was performing laser surgery to remove some shrapnel. He said it was a "voting" accident because it's "elective" surgery. This is all in the episode commentary.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Is Marcus Elden so out of touch? No. It's the goons who are wrong.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Boaking accident is another good example of the kind of joke modern Simpsons just doesn't know how to do any more. It's this quick, tossed-in line that's easy to miss on first watch, or to hear it right but think "wait did he just say boaking?" and maybe write it off as you having misheard. Even if you missed it, it doesn't matter because it's not the lynchpin joke and the scene is still funny even if he had just said boating accident.

Modern Simpsons would absolutely have had Marge repeat the line so that there's no way that anyone could have missed it. Then maybe have Skinner tell her it's an Albany expression because lol steamed hams is a meme rite?

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
The man whispered/fed Skinner the line of “boating accident” to explain his injury to Marge. Skinner, not wanting to resist further but also not having heard him correctly, says boaking (which isn’t a goddamn word, hence why he qualifies it with “I believe it was” which is not something you would say if you were certain what happened to you). At this point Skinner is just parroting whatever he thinks he is being told to avoid further punishment. Him not conveying the message correctly causes the man to become upset with him and as a result he puts the laser dot on Skinner as a further warning.

Okay what else do we need to have explained at the cellular level

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

The man whispered/fed Skinner the line of “boating accident” to explain his injury to Marge. Skinner, not wanting to resist further but also not having heard him correctly, says boaking (which isn’t a goddamn word, hence why he qualifies it with “I believe it was” which is not something you would say if you were certain what happened to you). At this point Skinner is just parroting whatever he thinks he is being told to avoid further punishment. Him not conveying the message correctly causes the man to become upset with him and as a result he puts the laser dot on Skinner as a further warning.

Yep.

It's exactly this you lunatics...

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Why would a former green beret, presumably mad, be intimidated by the mob. Boy, I hope someone went boaking for that blunder

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I've seen that episode God knows how many times.

I only just now noticed he says "boaking"

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Its uncanny how identically one can graph the quality of Weezer and The Simpsons. Hell, you just need to swap the labels.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

The lowest point of the Simpson’s the last 15 years has without question been this boaking discussion

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

posting accident

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

For some reason I’ve always connected that bit with this bit

quote:

Michael Norman: What caused you to be a ghost?

Space Ghost: Um... an accident.

Michael Norman: Oh. I'm sorry.

Space Ghost: Oh, that's okay. It was a long time ago, I'm much better... since, the accident (voice echoes)

Michael Norman: Uh, what kind of an accident?

Space Ghost: Oh, you know. Farming.

Michael Norman: A farming accident. What happened in the farming accident?

Space Ghost: Mmmm, we were farming, things got out of hand...

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

emgeejay posted:

posting accident

It was a posking accident

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

He clearly said vosting get your hearing tested

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Tesked?

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

https://twitter.com/glitchtvbot/status/1259621177368236033?s=21
https://twitter.com/lilly/status/1259588037350023169?s=21

emgeejay fucked around with this message at 00:18 on May 11, 2020

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

okay i went back and heard the clip again and holy poo poo, how the hell did i miss skinner actually saying "boaking". and OF COURSE he says 'boaking' because him loving up the line is why the gun cocked and the laser was pointed at him. the joke doesn't work if he said it correctly.

what the gently caress?

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

yeah basically this

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Mr Interweb posted:

okay i went back and heard the clip again and holy poo poo, how the hell did i miss skinner actually saying "boaking". and OF COURSE he says 'boaking' because him loving up the line is why the gun cocked and the laser was pointed at him. the joke doesn't work if he said it correctly.

what the gently caress?

yeah basically this

Uh, boaking is a Scottish term for throwing up I think you'll find jeez.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
I was watching the Flaming homer episode today and within the first few minutes Lisa's having a sleep over with 5 or 6 of her friends from school. and Dreaderick Tatum is in an interview on tv saying Springfield is a stinkhole and the only way he'd ever come back is if something went very wrong in his life.

some 28 seasons later Lisa's got no friends in any shape way or form and Tatum's in nearly every goddamn episode just hanging around in a suit.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Something went very wrong in his life and now he's trapped in the simpsons

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.
This is slightly off-topic but I'm planning on showing this show to my husband for this first time, but I don't want him to get turned off by how relatively unfunny the first season or two is, so where would be the perfect place to start? Is there like... a Simpsons equivalent of Machete order?

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
start with season 4

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

Just don't bother if you think he's gonna be a casual

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Izzhov posted:

This is slightly off-topic but I'm planning on showing this show to my husband for this first time, but I don't want him to get turned off by how relatively unfunny the first season or two is, so where would be the perfect place to start? Is there like... a Simpsons equivalent of Machete order?

Just show him the best episodes and get him hooked and then you can ease into merely great episodes.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

Just show him the best episodes and get him hooked and then you can ease into merely great episodes.

Yeah, this. Unless you were watching every new episode as it aired, you probably didn't experience Simpsons on a season by season order. Just whatever random episodes that got syndicated.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

QwertySanchez posted:

I was watching the Flaming homer episode today and within the first few minutes Lisa's having a sleep over with 5 or 6 of her friends from school. and Dreaderick Tatum is in an interview on tv saying Springfield is a stinkhole and the only way he'd ever come back is if something went very wrong in his life.

some 28 seasons later Lisa's got no friends in any shape way or form and Tatum's in nearly every goddamn episode just hanging around in a suit.

I always figured Lisa's got a lot of fair-weather friends in a very grade school style.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Watching season 1 in a row for the first time the only real thing for me was the family wasn’t super developed and kind of blended together in a general dysfunctional way, and they don’t tend to develop their personalities until season 2 for the most part.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Season 2 owns and if he doesn't like it, sever

Marcus Elden
Apr 8, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Milo and POTUS posted:

Season 2 owns and if he doesn't like it, sever

:wrong:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

The first five seconds of this video literally killed me. But then Satan told me suffering for eternity in Hell would not be enough of a punishment for my sins, and so he gave me back my life to watch the rest of the clip.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

You suck and nobody likes you

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
The boking discussion reminded me of this similar joke from season 12:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deDn1bVkF_g

It uh, didn't age well.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Daikloktos posted:

They did a purgatory-era episode about medicinal weed where Homer gets high, and every few seasons they'd call back to it when the situation arose (The Simpsons Are Going To The Hague!). A fairly recent episode, one of the decent-enough ones, was a riff on Boyhood and a documentary on how Bart might grow up, unchained from all the canon they'd started to accumulate around the future premise (Yes, there is a three-episode arc where their future circumstances carry over and Bart has a wife). That has Homer choosing to switch from drinking to smoking, and I really like that choice, it feels true to the character and not a device to let the writers make hackneyed comedy.

And of course, as perennial, the classic years did jokes about Homer smoking. In high school the principal calls him and Barney "Springfield's answer to Cheech and Chong", and when he and Marge are sending the kids off to Kamp Krusty Marge imparts her final bit of mothering - "Remember: leaves of three, leave them be". "Leaves of four, eat some more. Aheheheh". And again, these aren't so much (or completely) "dude weed" references but are rooted in character. It's like the discussion we've had a dozen times about how they use movie references, but the jokes and sequences still work even if you miss it.

Homer and Bart going to Amsterdam where Krusty is being tried in the ICC for his general behavior and Homer's like "can I get a DOOB in the courthose cafeteria" meanwhile Lisa falls in love with music at a performing arts camp guest starring Flight of the Concords, not so much

There was another one I was wracking my brains for, at the start of Homer's Barbershop Quartet, Bart buys a cool "pencil holder"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGx4_cX27k0

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Memento posted:

There was another one I was wracking my brains for, at the start of Homer's Barbershop Quartet, Bart buys a cool "pencil holder"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGx4_cX27k0

LOOK HOW HUGE EVERYONE'S PUPILS ARE!!! Unlike than the intentional and bizarre "twists", the inconsistencies in the hand drawn animation are totally endearing. Walleyed/fish eye Homer is best Homer

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

Was this scene cut for syndication?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.
Update (I'll stop posting about this if it's too E/N) we watched Krusty Gets Busted and Bart the Daredevil tonight and he liked them both! Biggest laughs from each came from when Sideshow Bob turned the Krusty show highbrow (since he knew nothing about the character beforehand), and the second time Homer fell down the gorge (obviously). Also thought the relationship between Homer and Bart was really sweet, which actually makes me slightly worried about how he'll receive the somewhat more mean-spirited nature of the later seasons. Presumably the dramatic increase in hilarity will make up for it.