Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Mr.Radar posted:

My Asrock X570 Taichi has slow boot times as well. I'm guessing it's probably something to do with the relative immaturity of the AGESA for Ryzen 3000. It wakes from sleep pretty quickly though so I just never shut my computer down.

The Gunslinger posted:

Yes I have the same thing with the beta bios, exact same board - B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC. Takes 10-15 seconds to just see the splash screen. Not a big deal but annoying, I'm back to using S3 Sleep instead of cold boots every day. On the other hand they were forced to dial down their lovely graphical bios config to something more reasonable which is totally fine by me.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Very slow on MSI x570-A pro.
Well that's disappointing, although it's good to know that I didn't somehow gently caress up the build myself. Hope it gets fixed in an update since it's a bit embarrassing that my 2500k system boots up about twice as fast as this one...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
Goddamn why doesn't amd just go full soc...it's a major selling point of epyc for hpc.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

All ZIF PGA sockets had that 'issue' since forever though. From Intel or AMD. So maybe not.

I don't get why people don't just twist the HSF a bit and slide it off to the side when they're removing it to break the thermal paste suction. And you usually have to give a pretty good yank to rip the CPU out of the socket.

I mean its terrible to hear people are having issues but if I go bending up the pins on a LGA socket no one talks about it being a design issue for a reason.

They don't remember a time before the Intel LGA style sockets. Back in our day breaking pins with PGA was the least of your worries, we had to worry about cracking bare cores tightening the heatsink.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Malcolm XML posted:

Goddamn why doesn't amd just go full soc...it's a major selling point of epyc for hpc.

I can think of two reasons off the top of my head: one reason is overclocking for the consumer market. You move more stuff into the chip, the less overhead you have for overclocking because you have more transistors in there. That's not the big one though.

The biggest is because of the current socket. Zen, Zen+, and Zen2 are all dependent on a chipset at the moment, and the next socket could dispense of one, but until then, they can't switch to a SoC.

JacksAngryBiome
Oct 23, 2014
Thanks to the goons that posted advice. After trying different sticks of ram and reading the links posted here, I am pretty sure the MSI beta bios is hosed. Going into the bios there is a 1 in 3 chance it is unresponsive after it loads, and another 1 in 3 chance freezes if I try to save settings. Sometimes it boots into the bios with no keypress just for the hell of it. I have reflashed the bios a few times via the MSI flashback button and via the bios menu no luck.

I can run stably with memory at 2400 MHz, but nothing above that. I hope the promised Monday bios release comes and actually fixes things. Early adoption is turning into a pain in the rear end.

Edit: The funnest moment was discovering that the bios hangs when one of the values (I forget which) is toggled too high, before anything is even saved or applied, like there is some kind of overflow bug in the menu.

Edit edit: I also noticed in a cpu reporting program that all cpu cores boost together, even when I reset the bios to default values. I thought the default behaviour was single core boosting? Instead I have all core slamming as one up to 4.2 GHz, then down to minimum, then up, then down as nauseum as windows sits idle. Is this correct behaviour for a ryzen 3600?

JacksAngryBiome fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jul 19, 2019

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

repiv posted:

AMD gave two sweet spots - 3733 for absolute performance (because the IF switches to half-rate beyond that) and 3600 for price/performance tradeoff.

Out of curiosity, where does 3200Mhz CL16 fall in that graph?

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

repiv posted:

AMD gave two sweet spots - 3733 for absolute performance (because the IF switches to half-rate beyond that) and 3600 for price/performance tradeoff.

Note that the 3733 RAM speed will require manually overclocking the infinity fabric clock, fclk in the BIOS. It will only do up to 1800mhz for DDR4 3600 by default. It should be an easy overclock to achieve since AMD mentioned it in their promotional videos...but at the same time nobody's Ryzen 3000's are boosting to their proper boost clocks either.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

JacksAngryBiome posted:

Edit edit: I also noticed in a cpu reporting program that all cpu cores boost together, even when I reset the bios to default values. I thought the default behaviour was single core boosting? Instead I have all core slamming as one up to 4.2 GHz, then down to minimum, then up, then down as nauseum as windows sits idle. Is this correct behaviour for a ryzen 3600?

Try again with only Ryzen Master open (no background processes) and see if you still see that behavior. Some hardware monitoring tools are forcing Ryzen 3000 CPUs into boost mode because of how they are reading the CPU information, only Ryzen Master and CPU-Z are confirmed to not do that.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Risky Bisquick posted:

They don't remember a time before the Intel LGA style sockets. Back in our day breaking pins with PGA was the least of your worries, we had to worry about cracking bare cores tightening the heatsink.

Yeah you're right. They got used to LGA's so anything different is "bad". For me I learned on PGA's (well LIF's were a thing too for a while) and I don't see them as an issue at all.

Makes me laugh to think that it used to be normal to just shrug if someone trashed their system by installing stuff wrong like those old unkeyed 6 pin power connectors that would insta kill your hardware if you plugged them in the wrong orientation when you turned it on for the 1st time.

If that happened today I think people would go apeshit and sue someone.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Chas McGill posted:

Post times seem really slow on my B450 MSI Gaming Pro Carbon. Takes about 10/15 seconds to get to the BIOS splash, after that windows boots in about 10 seconds which is what I'd expect. Guessing it's the flaky BIOS - has anyone else noticed slow boot times?

I was seeing this at first (3700x in B450 Tomahawk), but last few days it’s been posting nice and fast.

This roughly corresponds to when I switched cases and video cards and did a clean install of Windows, but I can’t think why any of those things would affect time to post.

I haven’t installed the v19 bios yet because it’s working fine on v18 and I’m scared it’ll break

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Reminds me of when a guy brought his computer in because it wouldn't post after he build it. I took the heatsink of and it looked like he had just placed the CPU on the socket and then just smashed the heatsink on. Every pin was smashed flat.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

I decided to upgrade to a semi-modern sorta budget system, and was gonna jump on the 2700 @ $150 deal the other day but it was sold out by the time I went for it, and the best price I could find was $200. So I ended up getting a 2700X for $200 on prime day instead.

The other parts I got to go with the build are:
Mobo: Asus Prime B450-Plus
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 X 8GB) DDR4 3000 C16
Storage: Crucial P1 500GB
PSU: Corsair RM750x
GPU: EVGA GTX 1660 XC
Case: Meshify C

So, about the motherboard, it was a prime day "lightning deal" impulse buy for $14 off the regular price of $89.99. After some post-purchase research, this seems like not a particularly recommended board. Just curious how bad is it? Looks like it has only 4 phase VRM, is this going to limit my TDP options if I decide to drop in a more powerful CPU, say a year or two down the line? I might attempt some modest overclocking but nothing crazy obviously, and its more for workstation type tasks than any sort of gaming.
I'm kind of ignorant about the differences between all these chipsets anyways, but I think I've gathered that B450 main performance limitation would be max RAM clock of 3200? Is it likely that the 3000 ram I got can overclock to 3200 anyways?

The motherboard and m.2 arrived yesterday and the cpu and ram are coming in today, gpu tomorrow. Still gotta wait till Tuesday for the PSU, but worst of all the case is not coming for *another month* :negative: I guess I can just rock an open air ghetto build atop my motherboard box until then.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

peepsalot posted:

Looks like it has only 4 phase VRM, is this going to limit my TDP options if I decide to drop in a more powerful CPU, say a year or two down the line?
If you want to overclock a 12C+ Zen2 then it'll be a no go but for stock settings or very mild PBO overclocking on a 8C its fine.

peepsalot posted:

I'm kind of ignorant about the differences between all these chipsets anyways, but I think I've gathered that B450 main performance limitation would be max RAM clock of 3200? Is it likely that the 3000 ram I got can overclock to 3200 anyways?
The memory controller on the CPU is what matters most for memory overclocking. After that its the memory IC's themselves that matter and last of all is the mobo. Since the AM4 chipsets don't have the memory controller on them they don't really effect memory overclocking themselves at all.

Getting to 3200 with a 2xxx series Ryzen isn't hard at all. It was with the 1xxx Ryzens it was tough at first and then got less so after more AGESA updates were released.

Start reading this guide here if you want to make sure you can get to 3200 or more. Or if you don't want to read just use this program here to tell you what you want to do.

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jul 19, 2019

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

You know what's really unlucky?

Buying two sets of the same 2x8GB RAM from Corsair... and getting two makers between the sets :ughh:

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
https://www.newegg.com/global/sg-en/ballistix-32gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820164128?Item=N82E16820164128

Just got my 32GB Micron E-die there for $124. Probably the last chance to stock up on cheap OCed to 3600C16 DDR4 before recent OEM memory price spikes hit retail.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

iospace posted:

You know what's really unlucky?

Buying two sets of the same 2x8GB RAM from Corsair... and getting two makers between the sets :ughh:

I've never had any trouble mixing RAM. (but I don't overclock beyond XMP profiles)

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

Actuarial Fables posted:

Worth a shot. I'll give it a go tomorrow and report back.

Report:

Windows put its bootloader on my linux disk somehow.

But besides that, it looks like the RGB profile is indeed stored within the fan/heatsink itself, so if you disable it using Windows software it will stay disabled.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
When installing Windows, it is a good idea to unplug every drive besides the drive you're installing to.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I've even had windows sneak its boot loader onto other drives after install too. That was like 7 years ago, but I'm still mad about it obviously.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Cygni posted:

I've even had windows sneak its boot loader onto other drives after install too. That was like 7 years ago, but I'm still mad about it obviously.

Why does it do that? There must be a reason, however dumb it may be.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Major Windows updates are effectively an in-place reinstall, so it probably reinstalls the bootloader then.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

repiv posted:

Major Windows updates are effectively an in-place reinstall, so it probably reinstalls the bootloader then.

But why onto other drives that are not its install drive?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

no idea lol, that's just my best guess as to why it's touching the bootloader at all post-install

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I was trying to keep separate environments for a primary Win7 install and a testing Win 8.1 copy. Unplugged the Win7 drive, installed Win8.1 on a separate disk, goofed with it for a bit, plugged the Win7 drive in again and after a few reboots switching booting in the BIOS between the two, the Win8.1 loader had found its way onto the Win 7 drives boot sector unasked.

After I purged Win 8.1 from my life and wiped its drive, the boot loader on the primary disc panicked and straight up broke and I had to reconstruct it. Very cool.

maybe this is standard behavior or I just hosed something up, but it sucked and i hated it. for AMD content, it was a Phenom II tri-core with the 4th core unlocked baby.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
I flashed my B450m MSI mortar in preparation of building it all and if anyone's in the same situation having to use the flashback, use a good named brand usb stick.

All my random cheap ones would give me the three light flash error, but I grabbed an old Sony one and it worked fine.

I did do a full format, deselecting quick format and the lowest file allocation size also, maybe that works as well?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The only non-dead usb stick I have is a Kingston one, hope that's good enough

Mahatma-Squid posted:

I had a vendor only tell me after 4 days, an email and a phone call that my motherboard was out of stock. I asked them to cancel it, and they said they would ship the CPU and SSD that I had ordered from them the next day. When I called today they told me the CPU was out of stock too, and they hadn't cancelled the motherboard... I was kinda frustrated at that point!

Penpal posted:

3/4 of my components are due on Tuesday and the ram is back-ordered until mid-august :o: but I guess it's nice to see these bios updates and overclocking testing being refined in the meantime.

Opened my boxes today, turns out the missing box is my case, so I still can't really do anything except maybe flash the motherboard and just look at all my other parts :smith:

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

NTRabbit posted:

The only non-dead usb stick I have is a Kingston one, hope that's good enough

Opened my boxes today, turns out the missing box is my case, so I still can't really do anything except maybe flash the motherboard and just look at all my other parts :smith:

The case is actually the only part you don't need to test it out! You'll generally want to install the CPU before you put in the case anyway. The only tricky part turning it on without the power button, but you can do that by carefully temporarily shorting the two power button pins on the motherboard (they don't need to stay shorted - it's just like clicking a push button).

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Puddin posted:

I flashed my B450m MSI mortar in preparation of building it all and if anyone's in the same situation having to use the flashback, use a good named brand usb stick.

All my random cheap ones would give me the three light flash error, but I grabbed an old Sony one and it worked fine.

I did do a full format, deselecting quick format and the lowest file allocation size also, maybe that works as well?

Lol. I tried to flash one with a 16gb microcenter drive and it wouldn't work, so my friend grab some ancient 1gb drive and it worked fine.

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Oh, lighten up Mr. Dooms-and-Gloom, "embezzle" is metal.

Puddin posted:

I believe they recommend using a USB 2.0 of 8gb or less, I've seen tons of people have issues until they tried an old flash drive that wasn't 3.0

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

TorakFade posted:

Out of curiosity, where does 3200Mhz CL16 fall in that graph?

1-2% slower than 3600C16 or 3200C14 which uses the best binned DDR4 like Samsung B-die or Micron E-die. The diminishing returns hit so hard after 3200C16 there's little point buying those over mainstream 3200C16 for Ryzen gen 3 unless you can get them at similar prices.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

What's the normal max core voltage for 3800X?

Khaba
Oct 29, 2011
I just want to thank everyone for the advice here about getting the 3600 to post on a b450 board. It now almost always posts except on a cold start for some reason. When it boots successfully the CPU light still comes on, followed by the GPU light briefly then everything seems to be smooth sailing from there. I think what changed it was that I realised there was a CPU 2 header on the motherboard that everything I read said wasn't needed, but I felt like it couldn't hurt and I was dumb not to try before.

Now I have an issue that I have no RGB or more importantly fan control over my h115i, but at least it seems to be cooling. This build has not been particularly smooth sailing thus far.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Puddin posted:

Are you sure the problem wasn't that your other sticks weren't FAT32 formatted?`That's a pretty uncommon format nowadays.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Lambert posted:

Are you sure the problem wasn't that your other sticks weren't FAT32 formatted?`That's a pretty uncommon format nowadays.

I made sure to format to fat32, these were some honky rear end promo usb drives from my wife's work.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Ok, I put the renamed bios update on an 8gb fat32 formatted usb stick, stuck it in the biosflash port, plugged in the two power cables, and flicked on the PSU. Pushed the bios button, then about 5 seconds later the diagnostic LED came on solid and the bios LED started flashing. It went for a couple minutes or so, then it stopped at the same time the PSU fan gave a little kick, and the diagnostic light stayed solid.

Does this sound like I successfully flashed my Mortar titanium bios?

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Jul 20, 2019

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Scorps posted:

I believe they recommend using a USB 2.0 of 8gb or less, I've seen tons of people have issues until they tried an old flash drive that wasn't 3.0

I used a usb 3.0 stick and it worked perfectly first try.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

NTRabbit posted:

Ok, I put the renamed bios update on an 8gb fat32 formatted usb stick, stuck it in the biosflash port, plugged in the two power cables, and flicked on the PSU. Pushed the bios button, then about 5 seconds later the diagnostic LED came on solid and the bios LED started flashing. It went for a couple minutes or so, then it stopped at the same time the PSU fan gave a little kick, and the diagnostic light stayed solid.

Does this sound like I successfully flashed my Mortar titanium bios?

That sounds like it worked.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Puddin posted:

That sounds like it worked.

Thanks! My usb drive was a USB 3.1 one too, so you don't need an old one.

There's not much more I can do from here, since I'm temporarily reusing my current graphics card (another month or so at most, hopefully), and I don't want to remove it from my current and only active system until I'm ready to make the full switch. Still, I'm ready to go when my Thermaltake Level 20 VT arrives

Do I have enough RGB? :ducksiren:

The BBT coasters were free with any Thermaltake product so I got them to give to my dad, he loves the show

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I still dont know what to get, the performance delta between the 3600 and the 3700x being so small in games but the price one being so high is starting to make me consider the 3600. But who knows if developers will start to focus more on multi threading now that 10+ threads might become the norm.

I still have about two weeks till I can build the system but I'm starting to get antsy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Sininu posted:

What's the normal max core voltage for 3800X?

Do you mean what it defaults to at stock or max safe volts?

I believe stock it defaults to around 1.1-1.2v and max safe volts is supposedly 1.38v for 24/7 overclocking.

Mind you if you turn on something like PBO then the CPU will set its own volts to whatever it thinks it needs in order to OC itself temporarily and it can go much higher but for only brief periods of time which is fine.