Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Cuy are a specific breed that are like 5x the size of a normal guinea pig, and are still relatively uncommon in the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

WrenP-Complete posted:

We made a information megapost for goons affected by Irma. This way its easier to keep people up to date in different threads. We are updating with new evacuation preparation info for states that were just put on alert right now. Here's the link: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Um3j5mHkS7bR72Zc625qtQ0P1QRNCXPGtIMx7HWKNbI

Pls let us know if there's more we should add.

:glomp:

I've got family in Tallahassee so while I'm not too worried this is still handy to me and great in general.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

evilweasel posted:

guinea pigs have "sea" in their names in most languages (like the german name translates to basically "little sea pig") because sailors would keep them on boats, feed them scraps, and then eat them

More Peru talk: Jesus is eating a guinea pig in the last supper panting in the saint Francisco cathedral

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

twice burned ice posted:

> Be me
> Don't understand that two different things can be simultaneously true
> Walk around loving confused for my entire life
> Other confused idiots take me seriously and I write a dumb loving book about how things don't make sense
> Post scathing hot takes to my dumbass audience

https://twitter.com/MattPalumbo12/status/905215282020581378

>>america is the greatest nation on earth
>>nobody is more discriminated against in america than white christian men

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

twice burned ice posted:

> Be me
> Don't understand that two different things can be simultaneously true
> Walk around loving confused for my entire life
> Other confused idiots take me seriously and I write a dumb loving book about how things don't make sense
> Post scathing hot takes to my dumbass audience

https://twitter.com/MattPalumbo12/status/905215282020581378

Well drat, he's got our ruse figured. I guess we all have to admit that America's not racist at all now. I thought it would last longer.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

evilweasel posted:

https://twitter.com/MEPFuller/status/905521965460574210

i guess republicans are finally coming to grips with the limitations of their idiot king

*Trump walks out of restroom with his pants around his ankles and a trail of poo poo still dropping out of his rear end leading all the way back to 10 feet away from a urinal*

"Well, he did the best that he could"

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Sorry for the pages late (by now I'm sure) reply, a coworker bought everybody lunch & I just stuffed some delicious meats into my face.

coyo7e posted:

Cool that you work for a utility but unless you're in the energy management or conservation areas, you're likely just a lineman with limited knowledge of infrastructure.

Also you're super rude to just throw down "you're wrong, because cooling uses energy too!"

It's adorable that you think linemen have "limited knowledge of infrastructure". And while I'm neither in "energy management or conservation areas" (because there are only 3 types of jobs at a utility it must be one of the 3) it doesn't matter, both of the utilities I've worked at educate most non-binding employees on the business segment we're in. So even Cathy (I made her up) in HR has a decent understanding of what we do day to day. Regardless, my group is "Transmission Engineering & Specialized Design", meaning we handle all design of transmission and large capital projects and work closely with area distribution & substation engineers during the design process. Our project scope ranges from 1 pole getting replaced to miles of under performing feeder being reconductored because it can't keep up with load. I'll give you one guess as to which season we use for design controls for load?

But so as to not be "super rude" here's a breakdown for you.

coyo7e posted:

Part of the problem in danger of ice and snow storms is that they drastically increase the energy load from the community on your local utility provider.

When everyone has to turn up all the heaters in every room just to survive, that can double or triple the demand on a utility provider for a week or more at a stretch, which is a serious problem and will eventually cause rolling brownouts at the minimum.

This is only a little wrong, but it's still not correct. Aside from cheap residential rental properties where cost of construction outweighs cost of service, most heating does not come from electric sources, it's largely natural gas. There is an increased demand late November through February (compared to the rest of fall & spring), especially in the PNW & other locales in the higher latitudes. That is not caused by cold though, it's because the amount of daylight is significantly reduced and natural gas isn't going to power your lighting (well, not locally anyway). However, "...because cooling uses energy too!" is exactly why peak demand in the summer months is greater than winter months. There is no widespread alternate fuel for cooling, air conditioning requires electricity. There absolutely has been increased efficiency in AC units, but especially in the northwest, there's also been an increase in AC units. We lost one of our generating plants at the beginning of the first big heat wave of August. There was an audible groan from anybody with a profit sharing interest in the company because that meant we had to buy power at market cost instead of generating our own thereby decreasing our profits in what is normally the bread & butter time of year.

quote:

It's not really the falling power lines that cut most people's power though, it's the fact that everything is so overloaded that parts of the structure or just going up Transformers 4 like to blow for example in these conditions. And then once the power is out people leave stuff plugged in and in on status, so the demand keeps spiking even while they're trying to repair.

This is what was so wrong I actually replied instead of skimming your post like normal. Transformers do absolutely overheat and explode or otherwise stop functioning. They are not prone to overheating when the ambient temperature is below freezing. They are prone to overheating when the ambient temperature is close to 100°. During winter storm events most outages are caused by downed wires or by trees causing faults and blowing the protective devices. When winter storms are forecast we literally get activated to "Wire Down Duties" which can be many things, but mostly it involves sitting on a downed wire for hours on end until repair crews can get there.

Lastly, during an unplanned outage there will be something open on the line upstream of the fault, either by a fuse blowing or something else being opened by a crew. Repair work is almost never done hot. So you can have all your crock pots, all of your space heaters, your roommates grow lamps, all the TVs your PS4s, a coffee maker etc., all plugged in & on and it'll make little difference. When the line crews are done with repairs, the open points will be closed and the lines will be energized again. The system all the way from the substation to your meter is designed to handle that spike.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Y'all need Guinea Pig Jesus.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Reik posted:

Y'all need Guinea Pig Jesus.

Now imagine the guinea pigs were the size of the cat. That is a cuy.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

https://twitter.com/ldobsonhughes/status/905528629010067456
https://twitter.com/ldobsonhughes/status/905529420890460163

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

Khisanth Magus posted:

Jesus how big are the cats? :stonk:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Hollismason posted:

No but seriously why does Coyo7e want live gerbils

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Sep 6, 2017

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/905529471037575170

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/905529330587111425

Looking forward to Ivanka taking over Edith Wilson style.

Obviously she'll still regret her inability to change policy.

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction

Kelly posted:

Christie hosed that up so badly that it makes me angry thinking about it. Money went to projects in Belleville.

And Orange.

Without saying too much, I have some intimate knowledge of those projects and the state hosed up so bad they had to re-evaluate the ranking system to exclude Essex County from being classified as a "greatly" impacted community and receiving the required points for projects to be eligible.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Khisanth Magus posted:

Can I imagine a cat as small as the guinea pig because that sounds cute

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Khisanth Magus posted:

Now imagine the guinea pigs are black

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Those are called kittens.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

goddamn

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Wait, so that good news from earlier today was false?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

:stonk:

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

They exist!

It's a kitten

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

More Peru talk: Jesus is eating a guinea pig in the last supper panting in the saint Francisco cathedral

It's funny, the placard at the cathedral insists that it's a chinchilla, not a guinea pig, but literally everywhere else I've looked says it's a guinea pig.

So I don't know what to believe. It looks tasty though:

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

An actual doomsday. hm.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

axeil posted:

It was, as far as I can tell, based on the last they heard before Barbuda went off the air. Not so much false as insanely optimistic.

God that sounds terrible and I hope it's better than that.

farraday fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Sep 6, 2017

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Holy poo poo over a 1000 dead ?!?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I ate a cow heart in peru

I make anticuchos like once a month at least. Awesome stuff.

Is that Inka Kola in the background?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Mr. Wiggles posted:

That stuff makes my teeth hurt.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Majorian posted:

It's funny, the placard at the cathedral insists that it's a chinchilla, not a guinea pig, but literally everywhere else I've looked says it's a guinea pig.

So I don't know what to believe. It looks tasty though:

Also that church has a skull pit so don't trust anything they say

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

axeil posted:

That was for Antigua. It and Barbuda make up one country.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Inka kola is somewhere in the background of every photo of peru

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

https://twitter.com/RalstonReports/status/905532011762262016

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

It's possible she misheard it, but that's what the hosts also heard.

https://twitter.com/ldobsonhughes/status/905530972288012290

Everyone else is reporting one fatality and thousands of buildings destroyed.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

farraday posted:

It was, as far as I can tell, based on the last they heard before Barbados went off the air. Not so much false as insanely optimistic.

Barbados is a different country from Antigua and Barbuda.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Holy loving poo poo.

Holy loving poo poo.

Bramuda is...gone.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

So should I go freak out at my sister living outside Orlando or is she probably ok apart from some real heavy winds and rain?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

farraday posted:

It was, as far as I can tell, based on the last they heard before Barbados went off the air. Not so much false as insanely optimistic.

barbuda and barbados are different islands. antigua + barbuda is one nation, barbados is a different, much larger nation

TARDISman posted:

So should I go freak out at my sister living outside Orlando or is she probably ok apart from some real heavy winds and rain?

most likely just heavy wind and rain, hurricanes lose strength quickly if they stay over land

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
Looks like Puerto Rico is getting hit now and for the next few hours?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Zoro posted:

Holy loving poo poo.

Holy loving poo poo.

Bramuda is...gone.

The gently caress is Bramuda?

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Zoro posted:

Holy loving poo poo.

Holy loving poo poo.

Bramuda is...gone.

Barbuda of Antigua and Barbuda. Bramuda is hundreds of miles away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

TARDISman posted:

Orlando isn't on the coast which is good, but it'll still probably get hit with hurricane force winds. Maybe cat 1 or 2 winds while the shore is feeling Cat 4-5.

• Locked thread