Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Safety Dance posted:

Yayy! Hope the fucker learns his lesson.

Haha, I think stealing a bike and getting caught with it two blocks away is indicative of a history of not learning lessons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
"Don't poo poo where you eat? What kind of dumbass saying is that?"

Glad they caught the guy, hopefully he didn't break anything too difficult to replace.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

marauderthirty posted:

They found the bike and caught the guy!! I'm at work and posting from my phone so I'll have pictures and details tonight. Got him 2 blocks from my house, what a loving idiot..

congrats man! I'm just waiting to see what the underwriters are going to offer me for mine now. Shouldn't be more than a couple of days.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

marauderthirty posted:

They found the bike and caught the guy!! I'm at work and posting from my phone so I'll have pictures and details tonight. Got him 2 blocks from my house, what a loving idiot..

That's great news! Didn't expect it to turn out that way.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

marauderthirty posted:

Woah. Can't wait to hear this. Stoked for you.

Strife posted:

Just rode my bike on the highway for the first time. Not far, just about 10 miles or so, just because that's as far away as I was going. Holy poo poo was that windy. I felt like if I didn't lean forward and lift my chin, I'd be blown off the bike.

It was otherwise, like all things motorcycle-related, fun as hell.
You get used to it. When I stared out on my fully faired ninja I felt the same as you, and turning my head to check my sides at speed felt like my head was gonna be ripped off. Now I'm on a naked street triple with no wind protection and I barely even notice the wind.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Strife posted:

Just rode my bike on the highway for the first time. Not far, just about 10 miles or so, just because that's as far away as I was going. Holy poo poo was that windy. I felt like if I didn't lean forward and lift my chin, I'd be blown off the bike.

Don't do something ridiculous by buying the biggest 3rd party windshield available - you'll get used to it and motorcycles are supposed to be windy.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

marauderthirty posted:

So the takeaway here is that he basically lives right nearby, saw the bike in front every day, decided to rip it off, and then just took it around the corner to his house and left it out for the police to see?

Well, you know what they say. You don't go to prison because you broke the law, you go to prison because you were stupid.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:
What a glorious day!

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
Who would be stupid enough to take a 500lb dirtbike on 80/20 street tires through 15 miles of wet clay mud slop? This guy.

My 990 adventure and I ate poo poo in the first 20 feet and a few times en route too. The last 100 feet to the end so much mud caked up on the front tire that it locked my front wheel inside the low fender and eventually started ripping it from the mount. The highest speed I went was about 19 mph when there were enough rocks on the ground that I could get traction. I have never done an unintentional 180 or 360 on a bike before that day.

It was like riding a 500 pound ice cube across a frozen lake.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

A few weeks after I got my 690 I tried to take it down a mud track, because hey, it's basically just a big dirt bike :downs:.

Suffice to say, the Pirelli-Dragon-Wizard-Supercorsa-Skyrim-Trackmaster-9 whatever tyres it came with were not happy with this change of road surface and punished me by snapping the end off my brake lever.

ReformedNiceGuy
Feb 12, 2008

Strife posted:

I did this for the first time the other night too. I'd ridden some terrible foggy-arse-wet country lanes over the Pennines to meet my brother and decided to go back on the motorway because gently caress riding the route I'd taken in reverse.

So much fun, though I did end up practically lying down on my fuel tank due to the wind :)

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Who would be stupid enough to take a 500lb dirtbike on 80/20 street tires through 15 miles of wet clay mud slop? This guy.

My 990 adventure and I ate poo poo in the first 20 feet and a few times en route too. The last 100 feet to the end so much mud caked up on the front tire that it locked my front wheel inside the low fender and eventually started ripping it from the mount. The highest speed I went was about 19 mph when there were enough rocks on the ground that I could get traction. I have never done an unintentional 180 or 360 on a bike before that day.

That's so ADV bro. Hope you made a thread about it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

n8r posted:

No poo poo, what a jerk, your riding stories are so much better, n8r :allears:

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Olde Weird Tip posted:

No poo poo, what a jerk, your riding stories are so much better, n8r :allears:

Not being a moron doesn't make for very good stories.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

n8r posted:

I admit I don't read ADVrider, but I sort of have the impression that if an ADV poster wrote that up, it would be a story about how well his $1,500 SWMotech pannier system carried his cheese sandwiches and all-important alpine mountaineering survival kit, the $1,000 Metal Mule spotlight system illuminated the dim, wooded track and a deliberately offhand allusion to the entirely fictional brilliant riding skills he used to swiftly dispatch the terrain.

I think I like the somethingawful version better.

To be fair to the Adventure, a friend has taken his on surfaces less miserable than gloopy mud and it apparently worked well. Looks a lot more fun than a 1200GS. Plus twin fillers for added Jaaaag. :smuggo:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

I buried my Uly's rear tire in mud not too long ago on my Pilot Road 2s. It looked like gravel, not a 6" deep mud hole with some gravel sitting on top... It was fun but a 550lb "dual sport" is very tough to muscle around, I discovered.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

marauderthirty posted:

That's awesome news, what a moron to leave it so close.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

americanzero4128 posted:

That's awesome news, what a moron to leave it so close.

Reminds me of when my dad has his bike stolen many years ago. It had been snowing so all he had to do was follow the trail left in the snow.

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
He didn't leave it that close, and that's what makes him even more of an idiot. They caught him that close, literally 2 blocks away, which makes the guy a lot dumber than I thought. Actually, I was the one feeling like the idiot when this whole mess started, but this definitely serves as a bit of consolation. I didn't even think we would see the bike again, so just the fact that they caught this guy, not to mention that I got to see him hauled away in the squad car, was the unbelievably awesome cherry on top.

So I get the call at about 7:30 yesterday morning. I drive a moving truck, and I was just about to hop on the freeway to head south towards the next town. My girlfriend calls me, and I answer, expecting to be told that I had left my keys on the coffee table. But no, she just sounds extremely excited and lays a big "THEY GOT HIM" on me. I ask where, and she says just up the street, so I tell her to wait and I will be there in 2 seconds. We hop in the Jeep and head for the location. The first thing I notice when we approach the given cross-streets is the ambulance. I'm like, "Great, he fuckin wrecked it." We pull up and they have the guy detained, sitting on the curb, arms over his knees and head down. I notice that he's bleeding out of his temple, and I yell at the guy, "I hope they hosed you up bro!" :cop: And it turns out that they sorta did.

We have one of the neighbors to thank for this guy being caught. Some sweet old lady noticed this guy out in front of her house playing with the wiring on the bike. She probably thought he was up to no good, mostly because he was trying to hotwire a motorcycle right in front of her home, but his appearance wasn't doing him any favors. It was a Mexican guy, about my age, in the little wannabe thug uniform: Button up flannel, Dickie shorts, stretched out white socks, shaved head.. You know the stereotype. So this little old white lady thinks this guy looks suspicious and gives the cops a ring. Their response time must've been something sweet, because he was still there when they arrived. I'm a little bit fuzzy on the details from there (can't wait to get my hands on the police report), but the whole thing ended with the guy trying to jump back on the bike and getting tased. Hence the ambulance, bloody temple, oh and even more damage to the bike from him dropping it.

He did a good bit of damage to the drat thing. Popped the ignition out, all that remains of that is the wires and the little junction that they go into. Gouged the gently caress out of the middle section of the handlebars and the freshly powder coated tank, presumably from smacking at the ignition with a screwdriver ONE MILLION TIMES and missing on a few of them. The rear brake lever is bent all the way in to the engine cover, mirror and handlebar on that side are scratched to poo poo. The mirror isn't really a big deal, but it looks like I might be better off replacing the handlebars. The fairings are a little beat up again, but they were tore the gently caress up when I bought it, but I only plastic-welded and spray painted them so no big deal. I got the hookup on the powdercoat job, and he said his boss will probably let him refinish it for free. I've definitely got some work to do again, and used parts are hard to find for these things, but I'm pretty relieved to be replacing a few parts over replacing an entire bike.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

That's an amazing story of idiocy! Not only did he totally gently caress that up, but all that for a ratty Ninja 250 (sorry to your lady friend)

So awesome you got it back. Leave the scars.

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

Spiffness posted:

That's an amazing story of idiocy! Not only did he totally gently caress that up, but all that for a ratty Ninja 250 (sorry to your lady friend)

So awesome you got it back. Leave the scars.

It's the 500cc variety. And don't call it ratty! I know the plastics look like rear end, and well pretty much every other exterior surface (female previous owner amirite?) but the tank and rear spoiler/handle thingy are all :c00l: C'mon man, I put a lot of work into that heap! This is what it used to look like:

OK that's the only before pic, so you just have to use your imagination a little. Most of the damage to the fairings is on the other side, but you can see a little bit of duct tape adhesive rising over the top of the tank of my bike on her rear fairing.. It was like that everywhere.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

No, I love it. I only mean that, in a the eyes of a thief, what the gently caress? Who steals an ambiguous previous gen ninja with mis-matched damaged plastics?

I can only assume he wanted to ride but couldn't afford a bike, but had the good presence to realize he should start out on something reasonably powered that he wouldn't mind dropping...

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
Anyone know of motorcycle-related stuff to do around Naples, Italy? It sucks that I'm not on the opposite side of the country because otherwise I'd spend my entire week at the Ducati museum/factory.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

marauderthirty posted:

I yell at the guy, "I hope they hosed you up bro!" :cop: And it turns out that they sorta did.

Dude knows where you live. I wouldn't taunt him. He's clearly a moron with little lose, so you don't want him doing something moronic out of rage to your place after the fact.

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo

marauderthirty posted:

used parts are hard to find for these things

I'm sorry, what? I never found this to be the case with mine, might be different on your side of the country though.

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ziploc posted:

Dude knows where you live. I wouldn't taunt him. He's clearly a moron with little lose, so you don't want him doing something moronic out of rage to your place after the fact.

Good thing I live in Colorado, home of the make my day law. Besides, this guy isn't getting out of jail anytime soon. I would bet everything I own that he's already got a record a mile long, and the arresting officer said theft of an item valued over $500 is a felony. Even if one of his friends tried something, we are on high alert and have doubled down on the home security. I almost wish somebody would start some poo poo.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

marauderthirty posted:

I almost wish somebody would start some poo poo.

Don't.

Edit: It's unwise to go looking for, or actively inviting trouble. The best possible outcome is one in which this guy and his friends never see or think about you again.

Then again, vindication is sweet.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jul 18, 2012

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

That ended better than my friend's story. He caught a guy trying to steal his truck so he beat him into a coma with a baseball bat. Don't mess with somebody's livelihood. At least steal from the filthy rich or something. Geez.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

marauderthirty posted:

It's the 500cc variety. And don't call it ratty! I know the plastics look like rear end, and well pretty much every other exterior surface (female previous owner amirite?) but the tank and rear spoiler/handle thingy are all :c00l: C'mon man, I put a lot of work into that heap! This is what it used to look like:

OK that's the only before pic, so you just have to use your imagination a little. Most of the damage to the fairings is on the other side, but you can see a little bit of duct tape adhesive rising over the top of the tank of my bike on her rear fairing.. It was like that everywhere.

Wow man, he really hosed up your R6...

Seriously though, there's nothing more satisfying than getting a stolen bike (stolen anything really, but bikes are more important) back, and to actually get to look him in the eyes and shout poo poo at him must make the damage almost worth it...

I still remember opening my garage and seeing the empty spot that should have been full of Mille R. I think I did a full on Platoon scream. They did eventually catch the guys, but the bike was long-since broken for parts and shipped abroad :smith:. You got closure *and* your bike back, A Good Day.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.

marauderthirty posted:

holy poo poo, you got a sweet karma-deal right there. I had a Ninja 500 with those exact same colors/stickers. They're great for beating up and then pasting back together.

Comfort level on that thing was the balls, too.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

marauderthirty posted:

Good thing I live in Colorado, home of the make my day law. Besides, this guy isn't getting out of jail anytime soon. I would bet everything I own that he's already got a record a mile long, and the arresting officer said theft of an item valued over $500 is a felony. Even if one of his friends tried something, we are on high alert and have doubled down on the home security. I almost wish somebody would start some poo poo.

It's not worth killing someone for a beat to poo poo metal flake purple bike. Almost...but not quite.

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Sorry, I should have specified that somebody would pretty much have to enter my house to be fired at, and would at least get a warning shot for refusing to leave the outside part of the property. And I don't actually wish that somebody would come back, either. Was talking poo poo to the guy perhaps not the greatest idea? Sure, but it felt damned good at the time and the cops didn't give a poo poo. My girl was more concerned about it than they were. I'm honestly not that worried about it. We are moving out of state in March anyway, and this guy will be probably be doing at least 8 months for evasion and felony theft, so gently caress him.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something

marauderthirty posted:

Sorry, I should have specified that somebody would pretty much have to enter my house to be fired at, and would at least get a warning shot for refusing to leave the outside part of the property. And I don't actually wish that somebody would come back, either. Was talking poo poo to the guy perhaps not the greatest idea? Sure, but it felt damned good at the time and the cops didn't give a poo poo. My girl was more concerned about it than they were. I'm honestly not that worried about it. We are moving out of state in March anyway, and this guy will be probably be doing at least 8 months for evasion and felony theft, so gently caress him.

Warning shots are a very bad idea (and possibly illegal). The only time you should fire a gun is with intent to kill someone.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

marauderthirty posted:

Questions about warning shots and self defense in particular should be directed this way http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3221380

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just looked into it, and you are correct. No warning shots. Either way, I would have feel extremely threatened to actually shoot another human being. Hope that's clear, and we can end the TFR derail.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

XYLOPAGUS posted:

Oh and I spotted this interesting piece of artwork at the bar / restaurant off of CA Hwy 2.

:stare:
Daaaaaamn.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
What's so about this?

Enlighten me.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

clutchpuck posted:

I buried my Uly's rear tire in mud not too long ago on my Pilot Road 2s. It looked like gravel, not a 6" deep mud hole with some gravel sitting on top... It was fun but a 550lb "dual sport" is very tough to muscle around, I discovered.

I've been taking my B1200 on less-than-paved roads and have sunk that thing to the frame in sand a few times. Bald 2CTs do not have traction. Muscling a 500lb standard is very tough. I now carry a rope and just hook that through the engine guards and haul away until the bike falls over, then ride until stuck.

I need a dirtbike/DS.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

epalm posted:

What's so
about this?

Enlighten me.

That sounded rather snarky, why isn't it?

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jul 19, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Holy gently caress, what's got CA's panties in a knot today? :wtc: