Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
I love the fathers bacon arc from Chris' blog. I hope he learns to love the world again...and then writes about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Javid posted:

My favorite part of this one is this blog entry the next day:

http://chrisonstad.blogspot.co.uk/2006/08/internet-is-crazy-for-cat-schlong.html

The below section has stuck with me for years, and every so often I will remember reading it and laugh all over again:

Onstad posted:

As a working artist, I'm perpetually torn between the desire to put forth what I think is my pure vision for Achewood, and the desire to satisfy the reader's craving for rock-hard cat cock.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Well he isn't putting forth his pure vision for Achewood any more so I guess he's made his choice.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
i never noticed that Pat is so violent with the sausages that he has whipped off the two on the end

the gay cat is so happy to have meats

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Deathlove posted:

i never noticed that Pat is so violent with the sausages that he has whipped off the two on the end

the gay cat is so happy to have meats

It's one of the most dynamic pictures in the whole run and it was rendered lovingly.

I'm not calling Onstad a perv; I think that pic is hilarious.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Achewood really blows away any assumptions you might have had about the depth of imagery that could be present in a drawing of a cartoon cat with his dick out.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Achewood is a celebration of rock-hard cat cock.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Isn't that the subtext of the thread?

Mousepractice
Jan 30, 2005

A pint of plain is your only man
Carrying on with the Camera arc, I just laughed out loud at Ray's martini in this strip:

Never noticed that before.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mousepractice posted:

Carrying on with the Camera arc, I just laughed out loud at Ray's martini in this strip:

Never noticed that before.

I believe there are multiple strips where Ray knocks over a martini while on the phone at the computer.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

blog: three dicks, no tits

and not fifteen months later...

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=11082007

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

blog: three dicks, no tits

and not fifteen months later...

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=11082007
And not one week later…

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
It's never a good day when you have to drop five large on white lumps in a cloudy liquid

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It was not long after that that Ray met his half-brother Dornheim and they bonded over their dad leaving.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Working backwards from some of the recent comics posted here, I found this strip I had completely forgotten, with the most amazing final panel

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

That is an amazing strip for sure and Cornelius' musings on writing have all the weight of a hoary, undeniable pronouncement.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
It freaks me out a little that these recently posted strips are all, like, a decade old. As is this one, for that matter. Then again, Ray's ways of showing he's down with Pat's homosexuality are pretty much timeless.

Pat's male pattern baldness resembles a pinned-on yarmulke.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Ray is Guy Feieri

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
My life goal is to be Lyle in my 20's, Teodor in my 30's, Ray in my 40's, and Cornelius until I can ride off into the sunset on The Olde Schoole (with Airwolf providing cover)

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Aug 13, 2017

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Bust Rodd posted:

My life goal is to be Lyle in my 20's, Theodore in my 30's, Ray in my 40's, and Cornelius until I can ride off into the sunset on The Olde Schoole (with Airwolf providing cover)

Why would you ever want to be Theodore?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Teodor is not an aspirational character.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Teodor is someone you only want to be in your 20's, if at all.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Teodor started out as a flawed but pretty okay guy who got absolutely destroyed as Onstad fell father into self loathing.

Maybe he meant Teodor circa 2003, not Teodor circa They have that new cashier with... with the... with the new body to look at
(Note that Phillipe still treats him with awe)

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

JethroMcB posted:

who got absolutely destroyed as Onstad fell father into self loathing
That's some cask-strength Freud right there.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I just want to be able to cook like Teodor and the "c'mon MEG WHITE show me her NAKED!" Is a very real depiction of my relationship with the redhead on Madmen.

Teodor is also the realist person in the strip. Ray, RB, they are all high maintenance weird friends who require some special behavior, Teodor is just like a dude you might become bros with and then all of a sudden it's been 5 years and he's the best man at your wedding.

LordNagash
Dec 29, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

I just want to be able to cook like Teodor and the "c'mon MEG WHITE show me her NAKED!" Is a very real depiction of my relationship with the redhead on Madmen.

Teodor is also the realist person in the strip. Ray, RB, they are all high maintenance weird friends who require some special behavior, Teodor is just like a dude you might become bros with and then all of a sudden it's been 5 years and he's the best man at your wedding.

I cannot imagine why you would think someone that sometimes sleeps for 36 hours straight is 'high maintenance' as a friend.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Teodor aside, I feel like being Lyle in your 20s is a good way to be Lyle in your 30s and your 40s and realistically there ain't gonna be too much after that.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

It could be worse. He could be aspire to being Todd in his 20s.

(The way my 30s have been going, I think I'm going to be Phillipe at 40.)

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Phillipe is five.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Philippe is five even when he is closer to fifty.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

JethroMcB posted:

Teodor started out as a flawed but pretty okay guy who got absolutely destroyed as Onstad fell father into self loathing.

Maybe he meant Teodor circa 2003, not Teodor circa They have that new cashier with... with the... with the new body to look at
(Note that Phillipe still treats him with awe)

since he first developed a distinct personality Teodor was always written to be a walking awkward moment of shameful recognition

Todd, now, is a true aspirational figure

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
"I guess by not g-g-givin' a poo poo." Is a landmark moment in my laughing at something stupid career, but Roast Beef's line about Todd being the STD equivalent of a bold and exciting new pianist or something is probably in the top 5 funniest written lines in all of Achewood.

I feel like Ray is high maintenance in a Peter Griffin "rope all my friends into week long hijinx and constantly dragging them around to do dumb expensive bullshit". When he isn't sleeping for 36 hours he is starting a buisiness with you or trying to steal your girlfriend or inventing a mojito-hot pocket franchise

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Bust Rodd posted:

I feel like Ray is high maintenance in a Peter Griffin "rope all my friends into week long hijinx and constantly dragging them around to do dumb expensive bullshit". When he isn't sleeping for 36 hours he is starting a buisiness with you or trying to steal your girlfriend or inventing a mojito-hot pocket franchise

The cat tells a joke so poorly his friends leave him.

(My favorite panel there is Ray's "Oh neat! Fifty bucks!" Something about it is the perfect encapsulation of his character.)

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bust Rodd posted:

"I guess by not g-g-givin' a poo poo." Is a landmark moment in my laughing at something stupid career, but Roast Beef's line about Todd being the STD equivalent of a bold and exciting new pianist or something is probably in the top 5 funniest written lines in all of Achewood.

Or getting super drunk, making you rescue him from the toilet, and then making GBS threads the motel bed.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

"Some men such as Joe Pesci and Bill Gates have created good lives for themselves. I am about to suggest that my friend tuck his genitals into a toilet paper tube. Keep on rockin, Roast Beef."

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
It's not easy being vagina products macguyver

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.

Bust Rodd posted:

i object sir. ray always picks up the tab and would never make moves on a dog's lady

teodor on the other hand...

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

i object sir. ray always picks up the tab and would never make moves on a dog's lady

Counterpoint, trying to steal Polly with weird pick-up moves and Vlad's magic.

Which led to Cornelius and Polly having sex in his house specifically to spite him, so unintentionally he helped them out, but that most certainly wasn't his plan.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
I think you need to re-read that section. You got some things wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Johnny Aztec posted:

I think you need to re-read that section. You got some things wrong.

Yes, yes, technically he was "just" trying to seduce her so when Cornelius dies Polly falls for him, rather than trying to steal her then and there, after having a lot of thoughts about her and considering wiring up his bathroom to spy on girls like Showbiz did. Still not great. (Though yeah, I forgot that Vlad's... Whatever it was (I was being flippant calling it magic) was supposed to be part of that plan rather than an immediate attempt to seduce Polly.)

I mean, it's pretty comparable to what Teodor did in the post I responded to. Worse, really, since Teodor wasn't acting with forethought, he was just having the thoughts when she hugged him. (Though getting hard while hugged by her is creepy; Teodor does suck like that.) Ray was actively trying to bring his goal around.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Aug 15, 2017