Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

JaySB posted:

I'm not a closed guard guy (short,fat) but there's some cool stuff here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-e6PDywjL0o

idk recently I've found the short fat man closed guard more difficult than taller opponents. Theres so much power in those stubs!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

I don't think it would fix the format. Guys would just try to accumulate ride time no matter what.

There's not going to be a perfect system for a tournament but I think EBI rules are the best.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Xguard86 posted:

idk recently I've found the short fat man closed guard more difficult than taller opponents. Theres so much power in those stubs!

Combined with my bad knee it is basically impossible for me to keep my guard closed. I am very good at breaking posture though.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

JaySB posted:

I don't think it would fix the format. Guys would just try to accumulate ride time no matter what.

There's not going to be a perfect system for a tournament but I think EBI rules are the best.

We've started to see tiebreaker rounds that are longer than the original loving matches, and which have even less action than a round that resulted in a draw. My problem with the current format is that long ride times beget longer ride times. If someone gets 5 minutes of ride time in the first attempt they find themselves in a position where a 2 minute escape is "fast." The opponent is in a position where to go for a finish instead of just ride time is a risk, and many of them are choosing to try to out-ride instead of to go for a sub and just loving finish it already. I would honest to god rather watch a Jon Fitch fight than a 15 minute EBI tiebreaker.

I like the basic EBI format but there should be room to tweak to favour activity in some way. Subs beat fast escapes beat ride time:

Rounds 1 and 2 - capped at 2 minutes. Match ends if a sub happens in those rounds.

Round 3 only goes past 2 minutes if all four attempts in rounds 1 and 2 were two-minute rides. Horn goes during the bottom of the 3rd when the ride time clinches victory.

This would put just a bit more incentive on competitors to take a risk to get a fast escape in the early rounds, and if we're going to have a competitors pursue long rides, at least we only have to see it once.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Search your feelings. You know it to be the right answer. :getin:

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

CommonShore posted:

EBI needs to do something so the events aren't pushing 5 hours.

Would limiting the first tiebreaker rounds to 2 minutes each fix it or break the format? The rules would only allow the third round to go beyond 2 minutes if things were tied after the first two. Take those risks.

Do they still not put up a timer for the overtime?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

ICHIBAHN posted:

Do they still not put up a timer for the overtime?

No timer. poo poo just drags sometimes. I've gotten to the point at which I just skip the OT rounds. And I hardly ever watch EBI live any more because it's a 5h event on a Sunday night and I can't be up til 2am.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
What is the benefit of no timer? What the gently caress

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Each overtime round is capped at 5 minutes currently. There's still plenty of incentive to go for the finish in regulation. Overtime is a mixed bag you want to advance more than anything so ride time is huge.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I agree that ride time needs to be changed because the overtimes sunday did suck.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I guess where I'm going is that if the overtime can possibly be longer than 50% of the main-match time, that there's no point in doing anything other than no-limit sub only. Even a 5 minute limit overtime means that the overtime can be 3x as long as the main match, which is absolutely stupid beyond belief.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
I'm having a good time with bjj despite forgetting the techniques all the time. it's tough being a weak old man vs a bunch of buff 20 somethings but at least I can put up a fight vs the girls

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Ok that tournament final was loving amazing.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
I remember a long time ago a black belt in my school showed off a kneebar using only the legs from the top. I remember he was in a sort of half-guard position. Don't know where that guy is now. Does this move sound familiar to anyone?

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

nickmeister posted:

I remember a long time ago a black belt in my school showed off a kneebar using only the legs from the top. I remember he was in a sort of half-guard position. Don't know where that guy is now. Does this move sound familiar to anyone?

I don't know it's name but yeah, it works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fgtz55BlGIQ

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
Yeah, that was basically it. Thanks for this!

This is a good one too.

mrbotus fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Oct 25, 2017

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

nickmeister posted:

This?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aM0Sh_4HPg

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

The Bernardo Faria style kneebar during an over/under pass?

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
Yeah as usual just catching up with ebi now several days later because it's so drat long. I enjoyed this year's adcc more than the recent ebi's and I felt like they've needed to adjust the rules for a while now. Ideally they should try and find a way to eliminate the ride time component altogether because it will always encourage stalling. I also still feel like the parameters for escape are a little ambiguous, and it's weird that OT doesn't permit leglocks at all.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
The no arm knee bar is, for some, reason all the rage at our school. I think every other brown belt does it except me.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Xguard86 posted:

The no arm knee bar is, for some, reason all the rage at our school. I think every other brown belt does it except me.

It's a cool little "gotcha" submission. Like the ankle lock when someone is asleep with their feet on your back, or the calf slicer when someone holds you in half guard and allows you to get posture.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

KildarX posted:

It's a cool little "gotcha" submission. Like the ankle lock when someone is asleep with their feet on your back, or the calf slicer when someone holds you in half guard and allows you to get posture.

yeah usually its when they're just passing like normal and get the opportunity. Quite probably I have something in my game making me prone to it too. Since getting to brown, I've been really focusing on those "in-between" positions and I've started to see how many suboptimal moves I'll make in a given set just from never focusing on those little details.

On the topic of little details: my prof gave me one hint for my arm attack game and its loving. amazing. Totally a missing piece I've been looking for.

I am generally not great at getting subs, especially arm attacks but since he told me that, it totally changed. I've caught two baby blues at a rate of about 1 submission a second, like comical amount of arm taps and started to really threaten guys more my rank. My newfound arm attack ability combined with learning more of the footlock game is starting to really pay off.

Xguard86 fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Oct 25, 2017

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Share with the class fucker

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Lol ok I will try. This might fall under some rickson Gracie invisible BJJ poo poo so your results might vary without trying it in person/feeling it from the teacher.

There's two parts, one specific to arm attacks one actually more general but that really mattered for me to improve my arm attack.

1st: I used to lock my frame as a first step then look for whatever arm position is best for finishing. Keylock/kimura/straight armbar/reg armbar just depending on their reaction. I figured out a lot of good stuff there but still missed all the time from positions I felt I should be finishing.

The change was that I now grip one arm on the wrist one arm in the elbow area for 90% of the attack. By keeping my arms spaced and allowing more motion, I get way better control over their arm, and better sensitivity for what they intend to do. It also raises my relative strength versus their arm for body mechanic reasons I still don't fully understand. I now only close my grips to the traditional ending stage at the very end, when I'm finishing the position. Works similarly from the back with arm drags and back takes emerging sometimes too.

The second part is the conceptual end. I was repeating this lesson to my instructor, confirming I understand and I was using step 1 step 2 etc.

He recommended that instead of thinking linearly in my drilling, I need to view the position as a single organic situation where I want to steer towards an outcome. It's a bit esoteric in text but in practice it's very practical. In the case of the arm, Im taking those grips and moving all parts of my body to create a separation at whatever angle is given, then snap that up into a finished submission. So far it's created some really smooth and snappy submissions but it doesn't feel like I'm planning or trying to create them.

Maybe that's helpful? I think it's much better understood coming from my instructor directly and with physical examples.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
I like to focus on one move for many training sessions. If I can't get the proper grips to begin the move, I ask myself why? when I can't finish, I try to piece together how he's saving himself. Eventually, no one can defend against it because I've worked out all the bugs.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Xguard86 posted:

Lol ok I will try. This might fall under some rickson Gracie invisible BJJ poo poo so your results might vary without trying it in person/feeling it from the teacher.

There's two parts, one specific to arm attacks one actually more general but that really mattered for me to improve my arm attack.

1st: I used to lock my frame as a first step then look for whatever arm position is best for finishing. Keylock/kimura/straight armbar/reg armbar just depending on their reaction. I figured out a lot of good stuff there but still missed all the time from positions I felt I should be finishing.

The change was that I now grip one arm on the wrist one arm in the elbow area for 90% of the attack. By keeping my arms spaced and allowing more motion, I get way better control over their arm, and better sensitivity for what they intend to do. It also raises my relative strength versus their arm for body mechanic reasons I still don't fully understand. I now only close my grips to the traditional ending stage at the very end, when I'm finishing the position. Works similarly from the back with arm drags and back takes emerging sometimes too.

The second part is the conceptual end. I was repeating this lesson to my instructor, confirming I understand and I was using step 1 step 2 etc.

He recommended that instead of thinking linearly in my drilling, I need to view the position as a single organic situation where I want to steer towards an outcome. It's a bit esoteric in text but in practice it's very practical. In the case of the arm, Im taking those grips and moving all parts of my body to create a separation at whatever angle is given, then snap that up into a finished submission. So far it's created some really smooth and snappy submissions but it doesn't feel like I'm planning or trying to create them.

Maybe that's helpful? I think it's much better understood coming from my instructor directly and with physical examples.

You use a grip that leaves some open options to the adversary but they're usually funneled into the wrong move for him?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Odddzy posted:

You use a grip that leaves some open options to the adversary but they're usually funneled into the wrong move for him?

Pretty much. Leaves them fewer good options, and lets me take advantage of mistakes more efficiently.

Dr. Miracle
Feb 13, 2008

born to shart
Are there any good grappling podcasts? I think basically what I'm looking for is something like Heavy Hands, where they do little technical striking breakdowns of recent MMA/boxing cards, but for grappling. Most of the grappling-centric podcasts I've encountered are sort of 'lifestyle' podcasts, incredibly bad, or both.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
No idea if these are any good, but you could try these:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPr5mA2Ud5S_UJn6g1n2c8A/videos

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Nierbo posted:

No idea if these are any good, but you could try these:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPr5mA2Ud5S_UJn6g1n2c8A/videos

They're good, my coach got interviewed on there a couple times. It's a blend of personal stuff, coaching stuff, tournament stuff, and technique stuff.

WayneCampbell
Oct 7, 2005
You got me a gunrack?!? I don't even own a gun, let alone alone enough to nessecitate an entire rack.

KildarX posted:

They're good, my coach got interviewed on there a couple times. It's a blend of personal stuff, coaching stuff, tournament stuff, and technique stuff.

Ryan seems like a nice enough guy and he gets great guest but I feel like he's a rather poor interviewer.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Took Silver in a 6 athlete open weight master's division. Lost twice to a 3rd Dan with 20 kg on me. I'm fine with this.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Sneak preview of the World's Best T-Shirt design, which I'm about 90% finished. I'm too excited to not post it

Post necromancing here but did this ever turn into a shirt or rashguard?

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

It's actually being printed as we speak. I had a kid and forgot about it for awhile, then I had to redraw it a couple of times to get it looking good on fabric. Should be ready for sale in a couple of weeks.

02-6611-0142-1 fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Oct 29, 2017

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

We are not particularly big on teaching wrist locks so here's a bunch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CswxqxiMb6A

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Ok full club trip report from our Judo local tournament. I was competing, coaching, and basically functioning as facility manager. It was a gently caress of a day.

I competed Master's. The master draw had originally created three divisions of 2 fighters, and we all went up to the organizer and asked for one open-weight division of 6, because that's way more cool.

My first match was against a blue belt. I dropped him with some kind of foot sweep for waza-ari and passed his guard to lock up the kata-gatame/arm triangle from the half-guard caterpillar pass. I didn't get the strangle right away, but they were giving me the pin timer for it so I just rode out the 20 seconds for victory instead of adjusting for the tap.

Second I went against one of the two heavyweights in our bracket, a 3rd-degree black belt. I missed a flying arm bar on him, and he got me with a modified two-arm fireman's carry (as in both of his hands were on my arms). I tried to twist in mid air to avoid the ippon and sink in a clock choke, but the ref DQed me for bridging onto my head in a dangerous way because I kinda landed on my head.

Third fight was against a middleweight orange belt from my club who had smashed a blue belt and a heavyweight brown belt and lost in 10 seconds to the black belt. I ended up gator rolling him from front headlock into a pin. There was a bit of confusion because he tapped to the neck pressure of the gator roll, and there was some discussion as to if it was a strangle (illegal vs yellow and orange belts.) but the ref said that he was going to let the call on the mat stand.

I advanced to the finals vs the black belt. In the rematch we went close to the full four minutes. He racked up a few waza-aris on me but I took his back once and got close to a strangle, and then once swept him to a reverse triangle, but he defended well both times. He then rocked me with a big seio nage and that was the end of the day on the mats for me.

My orange belt friend also competed in seniors and had a scramble that turned into a "Both competitors fall on his shoulder together" moment, and he's now in a sling with a separated AC. He walked away with two bronze medals and several months of rehab.

My coaching statement for everyone today was "I'd rather see you lose every match by Ippon due to a counter than see you get penalties for stalling or non-combativity. Go out and use your offensive judo and have fun."

We had four kids compete in the u10 and u12. One took gold, and two others had a good time. We had one young orange belt who had a rough day and who was crestfallen - it was his first tournament and he didn't meet his own expectations. Spent some time talking to him about that. I'm happy with how he fought.

Then we had five kids fight in u14-16-18. The girls had a rough time because the divisions were shallow and lots were combined. Our female green belt fought someone 10 kilos bigger than her (I think 30 vs 40 kilos?) and had some good matches but lost by pin in both. Our green belt male fought a larger brown belt - possibly out of his age category it turned out - and got hit with some big fricking throws, including an ura nage (basically a German suplex which uses a gi). Our female orange belt was just out-sized and out-skilled, having fought a girl who won US national youth or some poo poo. She had fun and was all smiles. One of her loses was on the wrong end of a hilight-reel soto makikomi. Our male orange belt was put in a division against two smaller blue belts. They outclassed him on the feet, but he almost pulled off a few upsets on the mat with the pins. I was very happy with the ground work and he looked good. Our female yellow belt was combined down and ended up winning gold, but she showed good, aggressive judo even if against smaller opponents. She's probably getting promoted soon.

Lastly, our higher-level female competitor had a bad day. She was out of shape after summer and weighed in heavier than she usually does. After that she was combined a division up. She looked really good in the first half of her first fight, but her cardio faded and she slowed down. By the end of the second fight she was a shell of her former self and lost by pin.

Our total medal count was 2 gold, 4 silver, 4 bronze, I think.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Sounds like a great day. Sucks about your friend though. I had a guy drop me on my shoulder with all his weight and couldn't lift my arm above my shoulder for months. Sucked nards :(

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Found a BJJ school in near my new job in Seoul so I'm gonna hopefully be able to get back into training after like 6 years off.

Will report on it and my thoughts. Has anyone heard of a dude named John Frankl? He apparently has a slew of schools affiliated with him and Google only pulls up his businesses.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
John Frankl is one of the early practitioners of BJJ in Korea. I think he is an American who became a professor at Yonsei University and he opened up BJJ school in his free time. He and his schools have a reputation for being legit and he has helped call out fraudsters teaching BJJ. I haven't trained there so I have no experience with him or his students. My teammate Gun Na (Renzo/Danaher blackbelt) has some schools in Korea too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh ok cool. Will see where that is if I can do the translation to Korean.