Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Lovie Unsmith posted:

Upgrade = $150, phone = $50.

Oh, no -- that "$150" is what brings it down to whatever price they charge. You don't actually get $150 in store credit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigpolar
Jun 19, 2003

Lovie Unsmith posted:

It's been leaked that this Black Friday sprint.com will be offering the GS3 for $50, that price is for customers with an upgrade ready.

What I'd like to know is, if I use my upgrade on this, what happens to the other $100? Is it gone or still available? Can I use it toward two more GS3s?

I'm pretty sure that price means your upgrade +$50. Meaning $200 unsubsidized.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Lovie Unsmith posted:

Sprint's upgrade credit is an entirely meaningless number.

The way it works is, if you were upgrade eligible today and ordered a 16 GB SGS3 off Sprint's website, you'd pay $200. If you do it on Black Friday, you pay $50.

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"

Lovie Unsmith posted:

I'm not entirely sure what you're talking about. Do you have a link or anything that explains this?

Oh hey new page. Hi guys!~

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Sprint's upgrade used to be pitched as "YAY GET $150 OFF FOR TWO YEARS or $75 for one", and it probably still says that somewhere even though it is meaningless.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Lovie Unsmith posted:

:lol: Jesus Christ. If they're advertising it as "$50 after your upgrade credit", that doesn't mean you use your upgrade credit to pay the $50. Then it would be free...

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

drat, I was hoping I could get two more for my parents. Oh well, thanks for clarifying!

tomguycot
Jan 11, 2001
Forum Veteran

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

you should go to the store and try them out. WoG mentioned the pentile screen, which...I can actually notice the difference pretty clearly (family have both GS3 and EVOLTE), but only when the screen tries to reproduce white colors. I also am probably sperging about it too much.

If the S3 had the screen of the new EVO, it would be the best situation. Unfortunately, it seems that some level of compromise will be needed to escape gingerbread hell on the EVO4G. Oh and, black friday sale...

As you mentioned I think the best solution is for Medullah to just go to the store and try out the S3 and the Evo LTE side by side. If the screen on the S3 doesn't bother him I can't imagine any situation where he'd want the Evo LTE. Speaking from personal experience I like the screen on my Galaxy S3 quite a bit. Pentile qHD screens really bothered me a lot. But I am of the opinion that the higher resolution on the S3 fixes this. Unless my eyes are a few inches away form the screen I really don't notice the pentile layout of the S3's screen and even then it's really only on certain colors such as white.

Aside form that I think the S3 is just a better phone. I've seen lots of reports of LTE issues with the Evo LTE and personally I find Touchwiz to be a bit less obnoxious than Sense and, of course, if you're planning on using CM 10 (or whatever's available, mine's still stock) then even that isn't an issue.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Lovie Unsmith posted:

The $150 is basically, "At least $150 off the full retail cost of the phone," which I think is $499.99 right now.

So there is no extra $100, you pay $50 instead of $500 for doing the upgrade.

[edit] Beaten several times, but I have to explain this same thing to customers several times a week.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

If any SERO or EPRP users are looking to add a second line, I just looked and saw a SERO 500 plan up for bids on eBay, bidding's up to $102.50:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sprint-SERO-30-Plan-500-Miuntes-UNLIMITED-DATA-TEXT-iPHONE-5-Capable-/110975793910

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
FYI I would bet that the S3 on Black Friday is $50 after a $50 mail in rebate. Aka you pay $100 on Black Friday, and get $50 back in the mail. I can't guarantee that, but usually that is how the pricing would go.

Still a good deal though.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

Duckman2008 posted:

FYI I would bet that the S3 on Black Friday is $50 after a $50 mail in rebate. Aka you pay $100 on Black Friday, and get $50 back in the mail. I can't guarantee that, but usually that is how the pricing would go.

Still a good deal though.

is it only online or will retail stores/bestbuy honor this deal?

fagalicious
Jan 15, 2004

WHAT FAG

Lovie Unsmith posted:

You get an upgrade at the upgrade price, not a certain amount of credit it. Also, if the phone is $100 cheaper than usually, why would you get $100 extra to use?

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

is it only online or will retail stores/bestbuy honor this deal?

I want to know this as well because the upgrade is available on one line, but I want the phone on another line and I feel like if I do it on sprints website I will gently caress something up and both phones will be turned off

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

tomguycot posted:

As you mentioned I think the best solution is for Medullah to just go to the store and try out the S3 and the Evo LTE side by side. If the screen on the S3 doesn't bother him I can't imagine any situation where he'd want the Evo LTE. Speaking from personal experience I like the screen on my Galaxy S3 quite a bit. Pentile qHD screens really bothered me a lot. But I am of the opinion that the higher resolution on the S3 fixes this. Unless my eyes are a few inches away form the screen I really don't notice the pentile layout of the S3's screen and even then it's really only on certain colors such as white.

Aside form that I think the S3 is just a better phone. I've seen lots of reports of LTE issues with the Evo LTE and personally I find Touchwiz to be a bit less obnoxious than Sense and, of course, if you're planning on using CM 10 (or whatever's available, mine's still stock) then even that isn't an issue.

If you're using CM10 isn't the Evo LTE and GSIII almost identical in all other respects with the exception possibly of the Evo having a nicer screen?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

tijag posted:

If you're using CM10 isn't the Evo LTE and GSIII almost identical in all other respects with the exception possibly of the Evo having a nicer screen?
There's also RAM and battery capacity.

dundun
Oct 29, 2005
H E R B

ExcessBLarg! posted:

There's also RAM and battery capacity.

The difference between the battery of the EVO LTE and SG3 is only about 100 mah.

Dominus Vobiscum
Sep 2, 2004

Our motives are multiple, our desires complex.
Fallen Rib
I'm on the $50/mo SERO Premium plan and I'm looking to get an iPhone 5 to replace my Evo Shift now that I'm eligible for upgrades. When I look at ordering online, the Sprint site says I'll have to change my plan to activate the phone. Is this actually the case or will I have to call someone to stay on SERO?

Rob was taken
Mar 8, 2006

Dominus Vobiscum posted:

I'm on the $50/mo SERO Premium plan and I'm looking to get an iPhone 5 to replace my Evo Shift now that I'm eligible for upgrades. When I look at ordering online, the Sprint site says I'll have to change my plan to activate the phone. Is this actually the case or will I have to call someone to stay on SERO?

When I bought my 4S I used the online chat help desk thing and said "I want an iPhone but I don't want to change my plan" (also on SERO). The customer service rep I chatted with took care of everything without a problem.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

So my contract is up in about two weeks, and I am starting to wonder if maybe my reception issues in San Antonio are not solely Sprint being bad; maybe it's my phone (Optimus S, about two years old), and I'm wondering what my options are. If I use my upgrade (say, to buy an iPhone 5 or a Galaxy S-III) and it turns out my reception issues are in fact Sprint's network being poo poo, am I stuck in the contract at that point? I know I have something like 14 days to return the phone, but what about leaving Sprint altogether?

I'm still considering my options, but since I'm on a 5-person EPRP, the cheapest is to stay where I am and get a subsidized phone. (Second cheapest is to buy an unlocked GSM phone and go to TMobile prepaid; if I did that I could just get a cheapo phone and try it for a week before I cancel Sprint.)

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

So take me back, back to better days
Cause this time between is wasting me away

Jedi425 posted:

So my contract is up in about two weeks, and I am starting to wonder if maybe my reception issues in San Antonio are not solely Sprint being bad; maybe it's my phone (Optimus S, about two years old), and I'm wondering what my options are. If I use my upgrade (say, to buy an iPhone 5 or a Galaxy S-III) and it turns out my reception issues are in fact Sprint's network being poo poo, am I stuck in the contract at that point? I know I have something like 14 days to return the phone, but what about leaving Sprint altogether?

I'm still considering my options, but since I'm on a 5-person EPRP, the cheapest is to stay where I am and get a subsidized phone. (Second cheapest is to buy an unlocked GSM phone and go to TMobile prepaid; if I did that I could just get a cheapo phone and try it for a week before I cancel Sprint.)

Where about are you located in SA? I'm off 1604 & Marbach and I get LTE out here without problems. I also get it on the ride to work on the Southeast side and when I head down 1604 to add far as Stone Oak. I hit very few patches of 3G now. It's not AT&T or Verizon, but it's a hell of a lot better than what it was on wimax.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

thisdude23 posted:

Where about are you located in SA? I'm off 1604 & Marbach and I get LTE out here without problems. I also get it on the ride to work on the Southeast side and when I head down 1604 to add far as Stone Oak. I hit very few patches of 3G now. It's not AT&T or Verizon, but it's a hell of a lot better than what it was on wimax.

East of Kirby, in the wedge formed by the I-10 and the I-35, south of Converse. I work at the Castle on Walzem, and between there and home, I get decent reception. Get home, and I'm lucky to see a single bar.

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

So take me back, back to better days
Cause this time between is wasting me away

Jedi425 posted:

East of Kirby, in the wedge formed by the I-10 and the I-35, south of Converse. I work at the Castle on Walzem, and between there and home, I get decent reception. Get home, and I'm lucky to see a single bar.

Man, I couldn't tell you how it is over there. I guess you can always use the 14 days to evaluate.

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!
Forever and ever and ever

Probably a longshot, but any idea if there will be any discounts/lower price on the Note 2 on Black Friday? It's $300 with my upgrade now and I plan on getting it soon, but if I can save $$$ just waiting a few days, I'll do that.

scrub
Jul 9, 2002
I see now there is a Thanksgiving Thursday online only deal for the SG3 for $50 and some crappy phones free. (2yr upgrade etc)

http://shop.sprint.com/mysprint/shop_landing.jsp?pagename=holiday

Better do do this than the BF in-store $50 SG3?

Where am I less likely to pay the activation fee? That matters more than being in the cold an hour or so.

How many of these can I get for my 5 phone EPRP plan? I think 3 of the 4 smartphones want to upgrade.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Dominus Vobiscum posted:

After you get your iPhone in hand, you will have to call Employee Care and have them switch you from a SERO Premium WiMax plan code to a SERO Premium LTE plan code. Then you'll be able to activate it.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Is there a shortcut for launching Google Now in stock Touchwiz Jelly Bean?

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
I have $8 TEP on two evo 3d's. There's no reason for me to keep paying for that right? Seems like that's $16 a month I could use to buy diapers.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Hdip posted:

I have $8 TEP on two evo 3d's. There's no reason for me to keep paying for that right? Seems like that's $16 a month I could use to buy diapers.

Not really. I believe it can be taken to a store and repaired for $35, so after 2 months you've already made that back if something comes up. And I remember a month or two ago there being an Evo3D for Sprint sold for $90, no contract or anything like that.

tomguycot
Jan 11, 2001
Forum Veteran

tijag posted:

Nope, the GSIII has an extra gig of ram and a (larger) removeable battery. And I think the screen is totally a matter of preference. I much prefer the GSIII's SAMOLED screen.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

thisdude23 posted:

Man, I couldn't tell you how it is over there. I guess you can always use the 14 days to evaluate.

Haha, yeah, I looked and you're basically right on the opposite side of town from me.

The only issue is, if my wife and I use our upgrades and in that 14 day period we realize we're still getting poo poo reception, are we stuck paying the ETF to get out? Or is there a period where if we return the phone we can also get out of the contract? The legalese I was able to find on the Sprint site is unclear w/r/t upgrades.

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Is there a shortcut for launching Google Now in stock Touchwiz Jelly Bean?

S3? Hold the home button down, tap the middle icon on the bottom.

Bicarbon
Jul 15, 2004

rock2much posted:

S3? Hold the home button down, tap the middle icon on the bottom.

Holding the menu button brings up search which is more or less the same thing.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Jedi425 posted:

Haha, yeah, I looked and you're basically right on the opposite side of town from me.

The only issue is, if my wife and I use our upgrades and in that 14 day period we realize we're still getting poo poo reception, are we stuck paying the ETF to get out? Or is there a period where if we return the phone we can also get out of the contract? The legalese I was able to find on the Sprint site is unclear w/r/t upgrades.

I can answer this. You have a 14 day full guarantee, and if you don't like it when you return the phone, it voids the contract you signed to get it. Think of it this way, the contract is there to subsidize the phone, so if you return the phone there is no subsidy to worry about.

After 3 days the upgrade fees become non refundable, so do keep that in mind. Check with wherever you buy to make sure you won't have a phone restocking fee, I personally never charged one for a full return, but some stores are full of dicks. Just make sure whomever you buy from explains everything in full.

The 14 days counts the activation day as day one, so please keep that in mind. Today is the 18th, so any purchases today would have the 18th as day 1, the 19th as day 2, etc.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

Duckman2008 posted:

I can answer this. You have a 14 day full guarantee, and if you don't like it when you return the phone, it voids the contract you signed to get it. Think of it this way, the contract is there to subsidize the phone, so if you return the phone there is no subsidy to worry about.

After 3 days the upgrade fees become non refundable, so do keep that in mind. Check with wherever you buy to make sure you won't have a phone restocking fee, I personally never charged one for a full return, but some stores are full of dicks. Just make sure whomever you buy from explains everything in full.

The 14 days counts the activation day as day one, so please keep that in mind. Today is the 18th, so any purchases today would have the 18th as day 1, the 19th as day 2, etc.

Thanks, exactly what I needed to know. :)

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

So I lost my GS2 during this weekend and I still have about 9 months left on my contract. In the good chance I can't find, is it possible to get an unlocked iphone 4s from a 3rd party and have it activated on Sprint's network?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

halokiller posted:

So I lost my GS2 during this weekend and I still have about 9 months left on my contract. In the good chance I can't find, is it possible to get an unlocked iphone 4s from a 3rd party and have it activated on Sprint's network?

Did you try installing Plan B to it?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

halokiller posted:

I MUST be a sprint iPhone, it can't be reported lost or stolen and it can't be active on an account. I highly recommend meeting someone in store if you buy used.

Battle Cattle
Aug 13, 2003

MOO.
I searched and couldn't find this info here or on the web in general:

Galaxy S3 owners: A lot of talk about Code 97 (outgoing SMS not working) has to do with Airave, turns out the phone come from the factory set to connect to LTE/CDMA. It took me 4 calls to customer care before I got someone who knew this, 2 seconds and I can now actually send SMS all the time.

If you are getting Code 97 when trying to send outgoing SMS, it means your phone didn't fully activate/provision. Go to Settings->More Settings->Mobile networks->Network mode and set it to CDMA instead of LTE/CDMA.

I was getting very pissed and not looking forward to a hard reset after I had spent hours setting up my home screens et al, this saved my day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Battle Cattle posted:

I searched and couldn't find this info here or on the web in general:

Galaxy S3 owners: A lot of talk about Code 97 (outgoing SMS not working) has to do with Airave, turns out the phone come from the factory set to connect to LTE/CDMA. It took me 4 calls to customer care before I got someone who knew this, 2 seconds and I can now actually send SMS all the time.

If you are getting Code 97 when trying to send outgoing SMS, it means your phone didn't fully activate/provision. Go to Settings->More Settings->Mobile networks->Network mode and set it to CDMA instead of LTE/CDMA.

I was getting very pissed and not looking forward to a hard reset after I had spent hours setting up my home screens et al, this saved my day.

FYI every time I had a provisioning issue with an LTE phone, I would sign onto wifi, then provision and boom it works. Couldn't tell you why beyond I'm guessing there is an error with LTE connecting to the data to provision, but that's a really quick solution that works every time for me.