Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

The verse melody is very similar but everything else is different enough that it doesn’t sound plagiarized at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

DasNeonLicht posted:

this is good, thank you

i've been looking for bands to fill a craft spells hole and these guys and another band French Police fill it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PwfAz94t3U

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Big City Drinkin posted:

Speaking of, does anyone remember that animated show on MTV that played Fight Test In its intro? Also I think Cat Stevens gets all the royalties for that song because he sued them claiming they ripped off one of his songs.

Wasn't that 3 South?

Big City Drinkin
Oct 9, 2007

A very good

Fallen Rib

Cemetry Gator posted:

Wasn't that 3 South?

That’s it! I remember watching it as it aired when I was like 16

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

So I've been meaning to listen to Wilco's new album for a while but kept forgetting about it until today. I got a ticket to see them (again) in October, after all. I'm listening to it now and like...is it just me or does every song more or less sound the same? There are variations for sure, but I'm not hearing a lot of diversity in this album. The songs are kinda all blending together for me. I'm on the last couple tracks now and I don't think I could tell you anything memorable about any of them.

This is not how I've always felt about Wilco, mind you. I love albums like Summerteeth, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, A Ghost Is Born and Sky Blue Sky. Sky Blue Sky was 15 years ago, though. I think the last new album of theirs I listened to was The Whole Love, and that came out 11 years ago. The only track from that album that I remember is Art of Almost, but I remember that track being excellent and energetic. For whatever reason, I don't think I listened to Star Wars, Schmilco or Ode to Joy. Did they lose a core member since I last listened to them or something? Because something's definitely missing on this album. It's fine, but it's not the older Wilco cranking out incredible single after incredible single that I remember.

This got me worried about seeing them live in October, as I wondered if they'd play mostly new stuff. I went to https://www.setlist.fm/ and checked out some recent setlists, though, and while they are playing several new songs live, they're also playing several older songs too. The last (and only) time I saw them was at a festival in 2007 and that setlist was incredible:

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Rageaholic posted:

This is not how I've always felt about Wilco, mind you. I love albums like Summerteeth, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, A Ghost Is Born and Sky Blue Sky. Sky Blue Sky was 15 years ago, though. I think the last new album of theirs I listened to was The Whole Love, and that came out 11 years ago. The only track from that album that I remember is Art of Almost, but I remember that track being excellent and energetic. For whatever reason, I don't think I listened to Star Wars, Schmilco or Ode to Joy. Did they lose a core member since I last listened to them or something? Because something's definitely missing on this album. It's fine, but it's not the older Wilco cranking out incredible single after incredible single that I remember.

That run of albums is definitely them at their peak, and it's definitely been pretty sharply downhill from there in my opinion. Still, it's a drat good peak.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

I could (and sometimes do) listen to One Sunday Morning for hours on end. Just a beautiful rhythm to it.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
god drat the more l lten to Wet Leg the better is. masterful rock album.

except 'chaise longe' which is the 'rehab' of the album

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

The Walrus posted:

god drat the more l lten to Wet Leg the better is. masterful rock album.

except 'chaise longe' which is the 'rehab' of the album

I like it all but I definitely think that the first two singles (Chaise Longue and Wet Dream) are the dumbest songs on the album. They're fun, but they really don't show off the songwriting skills that are on display on a lot of the other tracks.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

One of my favorite albums of all time. Fight Test was inspiration for my AIM away messages for all of high school.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

I'm only super familiar with You're Living All Over Me but

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjF_EoqEhZc

rules.

Does anyone have a Dinosaur Jr cheat sheet?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Obviously listen to the rest of Bug but you really can’t go wrong with any of their discography besides maybe their most recent couple of records.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Ratios and Tendency posted:

I'm only super familiar with You're Living All Over Me but

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjF_EoqEhZc

rules.

Does anyone have a Dinosaur Jr cheat sheet?

Bug, Green Mind and Farm are my favorite albums, but the only albums I'd avoid to start with are Dinosaur, the rest of the 90s albums after Green Mind and maybe the most recent album, Sweep it into Space. For old Dino Jr before they reformed, the compilation Ear-Bleeding Country: The Best of Dinosaur Jr, looks pretty good but don't sleep on the albums from after they got back together, some of their strongest tracks are from this century.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

idk, Where You Been is great

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

:hmmyes: this is very good too...

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Saw Boy Harsher last night, they are so good live. Only been to four shows this year so far, but definitely the best.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

Slandible posted:

Saw Boy Harsher last night, they are so good live. Only been to four shows this year so far, but definitely the best.
Agreed. I saw them play a 3am festival set in Spain a few weeks ago and it was such a vibe

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Venomous posted:

idk, Where You Been is great

I mean, I think every album is pretty great but I don't know if any album is essential.

Where You Been does have a lot of bangers though, and my copy has the bonus tracks including Keeblin' which is a top 10 song for me.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

B E A C H B U N N Y D A Y

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
oh poo poo i forgot I was going to listen to that last night

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Purity Ring's debut album Shrines turned 10 years old the other day and they're putting out a 10th anniversary edition with B sides next week

https://twitter.com/PURITY_RING/status/1550525763186610179

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down
Rad! Shrines is still so good.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

^burtle posted:

it's good folks

was not expecting reprises on the last track, poo poo whips

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

^burtle posted:

hell yes

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Going back a whole year and a half as I was just introduced to them yesterday: Dry Cleaning's New Long Leg is brilliant.

I think Scratchcard Lanyard is the best song on the album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PuqlOTyJt0

Strong Feelings is my favourite track though. When the guitars pick up at 2:15 :love:.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsujZ82VKDg

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Big Thief was already my favorite band before they became stewards of the soul of John Prine but they just keep hitting me deeper. This performance of Dried Roses is magical (timestamped):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCsFgJsJ5Uc&t=327s

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Saw Mitski live last night and hadn't seen her since 2019 - it's mindblowing how she's improved as a performer since then and her show has so much more performance art elements, kinda on the wavelength of Bjork

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzAAwo5tHOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Rageaholic posted:

Purity Ring's debut album Shrines turned 10 years old the other day and they're putting out a 10th anniversary edition with B sides next week

https://twitter.com/PURITY_RING/status/1550525763186610179

That was my album of the year in 2012, i'm glad their live shows are loving great but sad they haven't topped Shrines in the decade since.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Beartaco posted:

Going back a whole year and a half as I was just introduced to them yesterday: Dry Cleaning's New Long Leg is brilliant.

:sickos:

I always come back to this record

Stelio Kontos
Feb 12, 2014

Lid posted:

That was my album of the year in 2012, i'm glad their live shows are loving great but sad they haven't topped Shrines in the decade since.

Definitely haven’t topped it, but it’s hard to make something better than perfect. They came close with Womb with the more introverted lyrics and darker tones, but the lack of vocal fuckery that made Shrines so brilliant was kind of a bummer.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
someone pointed out to me a musical technique where the rest of the music fades out on the drum hits to make them more impactful, and then also pointed out to me that purity ring does it in every single second of every song they make, and now its all I can hear and the band is ruined.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

The Walrus posted:

someone pointed out to me a musical technique where the rest of the music fades out on the drum hits to make them more impactful, and then also pointed out to me that purity ring does it in every single second of every song they make, and now its all I can hear and the band is ruined.

sidechaining!

I might just be feeling old, but I listened to Shrines before their show that I ended up skipping (I've lost some the same drive I had when I bought the tickets in February 2020). I used to love that album and have very strong memories associated with it, but now it just sounds very dated? Finessing witch house into liquid trap felt very exciting and different at the time, but I think it was a movement that faded quickly, and Purity Ring's subsequent albums never made the same impression on me.

megan james is still :stwoon: though

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYNwr7wuRHY

everything they release makes me like them more :shrug:

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

DasNeonLicht posted:

sidechaining!

I might just be feeling old, but I listened to Shrines before their show that I ended up skipping (I've lost some the same drive I had when I bought the tickets in February 2020). I used to love that album and have very strong memories associated with it, but now it just sounds very dated? Finessing witch house into liquid trap felt very exciting and different at the time, but I think it was a movement that faded quickly, and Purity Ring's subsequent albums never made the same impression on me.

megan james is still :stwoon: though

duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude, you ever hear some chillwave?

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Shrines is still a good album, but the style is of that time for sure. I actually liked their second album a lot too and couldn't get into womb at all.

Solomon Gumball
Jul 24, 2019
I thought their deal was more Megan's songwriting than anything else that differentiated them early on amongst the sea of "synth bands, often duos, with female lead singers" that either got really popular or started getting signed up at that time whether or not that's a fair assessment -- Phantogram, Polica, Chvrches, etc.

I liked them more than a lot of those other groups, but my interest dropped off with WOMB. "Asido" was the last song I remember liking. I listened to the latest EP and nothing really made much of an impression off the bat, "Soshy" was the best one but I heard that before the EP came out. Maybe it'll stick more with some repeated listens, but nothing has compelled me to listen again yet.

Wish I could have seen them live though, seems like that's where they are really good. I still remember their appearance on Conan of "Repetition" being really stellar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tEJ27a2lZ0

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

T Bowl posted:

duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude, you ever hear some chillwave?

I unironically love chillwave and have been listening to this playlist heavily since the start of the pandemic. It's been my aural Xanax.

funny how "trap made in a sauna" didn't really take off while "Com Truise, but less horny" did

it also feels like a lot of the artists on that playlist correctly sensed the need for something between synthwave's anthemic weapons-grade nostalgia and the almost procedurally generated numbness of lo-fi hip-hop beats. Hotel Pools, Forhill, and Eagle-Eyed Tiger are a few of my favorites for anyone interested. obvious followers of Washed Out and Home. kind of all sounds the same, but it's a vibe

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Just saw CHVRCHES for the 2nd time. That's the first show I've seen in a while that had costume changes, and not just 1 but 3 (including the fake blood at the end) :swoon: That was awesome!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

DasNeonLicht posted:

I unironically love chillwave and have been listening to this playlist heavily since the start of the pandemic. It's been my aural Xanax.

funny how "trap made in a sauna" didn't really take off while "Com Truise, but less horny" did

it also feels like a lot of the artists on that playlist correctly sensed the need for something between synthwave's anthemic weapons-grade nostalgia and the almost procedurally generated numbness of lo-fi hip-hop beats. Hotel Pools, Forhill, and Eagle-Eyed Tiger are a few of my favorites for anyone interested. obvious followers of Washed Out and Home. kind of all sounds the same, but it's a vibe

Aural Xanax is my trip ex dick psych grunge power pop solo project name.

For real though, check out Moss of Aura, the Future Islands synth guys solo albums.