Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Orange juice kinda makes you fat, so if you are gonna have it do it right (and pulpy).

No Wave fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jan 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Living next to a canyon full of orange groves in Ventura totally ruined me for store bought orange juice. The grove near my house used to sell (illegal) juice from all the fruit too beat up to pack and ship... 1-gallon plastic jug of unpasteurized juice for 5 bucks.

100% sweet, no off flavors, it's amazing. Short shelf life though; after a few days in the fridge, it starts to taste like store-bought.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

mindphlux posted:

been trying hard to think of some applications for preserved lemons, cooked this up a couple days ago and it was aces.
Make thing, mince preserved lemons and add to thing. They're basically perfect anywhere.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Squashy Nipples posted:

Living next to a canyon full of orange groves in Ventura totally ruined me for store bought orange juice. The grove near my house used to sell (illegal) juice from all the fruit too beat up to pack and ship... 1-gallon plastic jug of unpasteurized juice for 5 bucks.

100% sweet, no off flavors, it's amazing. Short shelf life though; after a few days in the fridge, it starts to taste like store-bought.

Growing up in South Africa meant that we had a maid who made us fresh OJ every morning. At the time I was too young to taste the guilt.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

therattle posted:

Growing up in South Africa meant that we had a maid who made us fresh OJ every morning. At the time I was too young to taste the guilt.

Fresh Squeezed is good, but fresh squeezed from oranges that fell off the tree a few hours ago is phenomenal.

Speaking of kim chi, remember that post I made about food hoarding? I just found an unopened jar of kim chi in the back of my fridge... that expired over a year ago. Taste fine, I little more rotten then usual, but still good.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

GrAviTy84 posted:

So true. I live in a city with ubiquitous orange groves and roadside stands selling 25 lb bags of oranges for $7.

That's one of the things I miss the most about SoCal. Also my pomegranite tree. And my avocado tree. And my......

:smith:

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Squashy Nipples posted:

Fresh Squeezed is good, but fresh squeezed from oranges that fell off the tree a few hours ago is phenomenal.

Speaking of kim chi, remember that post I made about food hoarding? I just found an unopened jar of kim chi in the back of my fridge... that expired over a year ago. Taste fine, I little more rotten then usual, but still good.

Mmm, I stayed with a friend at her mother's house in Majorca a few years ago and although it was February there were still oranges on the trees. I made juice every morning. I found them a bit sweet so would add the juice of a fresh lemon to each jug. So drat good. And so delightfully abundant. Fresh OJ (at least here) is usually served in small portions so having loads was lovely.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Taking this out of the General questions thread:

Mr. Wiggles posted:

You've never had a kool-aid pickle?

You've never had real bbq, then. :colbert:

Yeah, I'm sorry, but that looks every bit as vile and disgusting as it sounded. It this some kind of Southern Food Horror?

Because you have offended my sensibilities, I shall offend yours: CostCo recently began selling a BBQ brisket sandwich at their food concession. It has cole slaw on top of the beef and it is delicious. Take that!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Squashy Nipples posted:

Taking this out of the General questions thread:

Yeah, I'm sorry, but that looks every bit as vile and disgusting as it sounded. It this some kind of Southern Food Horror?

I suppose it's in the South, but in California it's the mark of a proper bbq joint. Probably due to immigrants from the South starting Oakland style bbq for one, as well as the number of very good places in SoCal.

quote:

Because you have offended my sensibilities, I shall offend yours: CostCo recently began selling a BBQ brisket sandwich at their food concession. It has cole slaw on top of the beef and it is delicious. Take that!

And McDonald's has the McRib - you're not convincing me.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Best part of going to costco as a kid was eating the huge rear end pizza afterwards. It wasn't particularly good, but drat was it satisfying after shopping for hours on end.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I suppose it's in the South, but in California...

Yankee

Clavietika
Dec 18, 2005

Doh004 posted:

Best part of going to costco as a kid was eating the huge rear end pizza afterwards. It wasn't particularly good, but drat was it satisfying after shopping for hours on end.
My boyfriend and I are terrible and always get a slice of terrible pizza at Superstore while we're grocery shopping. Sometimes we have it before shopping, sometimes after... Sometimes during. :gonk:

GrAviTy84 posted:

OH NO CHEMICALS :ohdear:

:rolleyes:

It's more that Simply Orange advertises as the most basic, homegrown, homestyle, JUST SQUEEZE AND POUR orange juice out there, when there's literally an algorithm to prepare it. Tropicana used to hint at how cumbersome manufacturing orange juice is in their commercials, but Simply Orange kind of straight up lies about it.

I also found it crazy to think an underground pipeline exists for transporting orange juice.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Sweet pickles I can understand, but why on earth would you want to make your pickles taste like artificial fruit flavor?

Doh004 posted:

Actually, the local pizza here in suburban Boston is SO BAD that the CostCo pizza seems pretty good by comparison.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

West coast = best coast.

Anyway, it's not that the pickles are so good (they're good in a trashy way), but rather that their presence is the sign of an establishment's quality.

Mr. Wiggles fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jan 28, 2014

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Clavietika posted:

My boyfriend and I are terrible and always get a slice of terrible pizza at Superstore while we're grocery shopping. Sometimes we have it before shopping, sometimes after... Sometimes during. :gonk:

Makes me wanna goto a Costco...

Squashy Nipples posted:

Actually, the local pizza here in suburban Boston is SO BAD that the CostCo pizza seems pretty good by comparison.

There's nothing good about Boston.

Go Yanks.

confonnit
Sep 28, 2001

So to continue pizza chat...

I'm stuck at home in Georgia for Snowmageddon 2014 and want to make pizza yet only have self rising flour...is this even remotely possible/worth doing or should I let it go and figure something else out?

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Man, I've lived in Oakland for the last 11-12 years and eaten a gently caress ton of BBQ, I have no idea what a goddamn koolaid pickle is and don't think I've seen one? And I love pickles, I eat them at every opportunity.

The best BBQ comes from an oil drum under a tent in an empty lot. Sometimes there are plastic chairs, sometimes there arent. The place painted purple in the dirty thirties with the buzzer and bullet proof glass is A+

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I don't want to open a can of worms, but what's the problem with CostCo? I've never actually been, but occasionally a friend of ours goes there and brings us back huge bags of flour... Which is handy.

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp

confonnit posted:

So to continue pizza chat...

I'm stuck at home in Georgia for Snowmageddon 2014 and want to make pizza yet only have self rising flour...is this even remotely possible/worth doing or should I let it go and figure something else out?

Forget the pizza or cooking in general and just drink like the rest of us.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Scientastic posted:

I don't want to open a can of worms, but what's the problem with CostCo? I've never actually been, but occasionally a friend of ours goes there and brings us back huge bags of flour... Which is handy.

I don't think anyone was trying to say Costco is bad, just that the hot ready to eat food served near the entrance/exit is usually subpar food but at least it's priced accordingly. Costco pays their workers well even though they aren't unionized.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

BraveUlysses posted:

I don't think anyone was trying to say Costco is bad, just that the hot ready to eat food served near the entrance/exit is usually subpar food but at least it's priced accordingly. Costco pays their workers well even though they aren't unionized.

:can:

wiggles is on an anticostco crusade

also, polish dog with deli mustard, kraut, and onions 4 lyfe

Hauki
May 11, 2010

GrAviTy84 posted:

My kind of man

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

GrAviTy84 posted:

You have to ask for kraut here in the south, but they have it. Can't beat a footlong dog and a drink for a buck-and-a-half, no fuss, no tip, no waiting.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Man, I've lived in Oakland for the last 11-12 years and eaten a gently caress ton of BBQ, I have no idea what a goddamn koolaid pickle is and don't think I've seen one? And I love pickles, I eat them at every opportunity.

The best BBQ comes from an oil drum under a tent in an empty lot. Sometimes there are plastic chairs, sometimes there arent. The place painted purple in the dirty thirties with the buzzer and bullet proof glass is A+

Parking lot tents might not have them, but any buildings ought to. Ask your purple place.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Nah man, I will. I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just sayin were running in different West O BBQ circles.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

pr0k posted:

You have to ask for kraut here in the south, but they have it. Can't beat a footlong dog and a drink for a buck-and-a-half, no fuss, no tip, no waiting.

I'm sure that's top-quality mechanically-recovered meat/pink slime.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Said it before, if the Prairie-dwelling Native Americans had process control and manufacturing science down to a pat you can bet they'd be mechanically separating bison and all the hippie crunchies would wipe the teardrops from their cheeks praising them for their thrift and wisdom.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Sjurygg posted:

Said it before, if the Prairie-dwelling Native Americans had process control and manufacturing science down to a pat you can bet they'd be mechanically separating bison and all the hippie crunchies would wipe the teardrops from their cheeks praising them for their thrift and wisdom.

Yeah, but I'm not sure they would have had enormous feedlots if grain- and sheep- and antibiotic-fed cows then going through a slaughterhouse at ridiculous speeds.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

therattle posted:

All beef kosher dogs. Not sure if that means anything still, but it used to.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

therattle posted:

This is literally what all ungarnished emulsified sausages are supposed to be though?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

This is literally what all ungarnished emulsified sausages are supposed to be though?

No, not really... you can tell the CostCo dogs are made from decent meat, because they have a nice firm texture when you bite into them. Hot dogs made from literal lips and assholes are much looser, and mushier, like those lovely pickled sausages I sometimes buy from gas stations on road trips.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Costco hot dogs are Hebrew Nationals and I have to get them over the admittedly-good Polish because Hebrew Nationals are the best hot dog out there. Yes, natural-casing dogs are delicious, but there's just something about all-beef hot dogs made by a company that Answers to a Higher Authority™.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
They haven't been Hebrew Nationals for awhile. To keep the $1.50 price they are using their own hot dog. Still 100% beef and tasty though I slightly prefer the old ones.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

lol @ wiener wars.

idk, they're pretty good dawgs. As mentioned they're not made by hebrew national anymore, was kind of controversial. Turns out they were supplied by two producers: sinai and hebrew national. Sinai is a subsidiary of sara lee which decided to stop producing. Hebrew national was unable to meet the now twofold needs of the giant so Costco developed their own dog. I'm not gonna say that they're the best dogs, but they're better than ball parks, nathans, and whatever you can get at a normal grocery store counter.

I have a portillos across the street from my costco though so :smug:

One thing I will say that I dig about costco in recent years is their switching to more local produced goods and products. They started carrying cases of local craft brewery Hangar 24 in store instead of things like sierra or pyramid. Their cheese selection has more than doubled lately and I've started seeing things like roquefort, saint andre, parmiggiano reggiano, manchego, etc. They started carrying flats of free range organic eggs. IDK, people vilify them, but I think in the grand scheme of megachain marts, they're doing p good imo.

edit: relevant, random thing I saw at costco last weekend:

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jan 29, 2014

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp
Should I find something to sell to go to this:

Pork Rillette, Quick-Pickled Brussels, House Mustard

Cold-Smoked Mussel Salad with Fingerling Potato Aioli and Winter Vegetables

Trout, Marcona Almond Puree, Haricot Vert, Citrus

Duck Breast, Parsnip Gratin

Pear Tarte Tatin, Goat Cheese Ice Cream

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
You still got a kidney, no?

Kidding. Menu sounds ambitious. No other info to go on, so I vote meh.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

GrAviTy84 posted:

edit: relevant, random thing I saw at costco last weekend:

Beer Thread people have been finding stuff like Alesmith Speedway Stout at Costco lately. All I ever see is Leinenkugel's. :(

I'm going to this dinner tonight:
code:
Pork Belly Banh Mi 
Tempura Vegetable Bouquet, Charcuterie, Maytag Blue Cheese, Crostini
Firestone Pale 31 

Crispy Fried Pomfret 
Green Papaya Slaw, Ponzu, Pommelo 
Firestone Pivo

Fig & Peppercress Salad 
Goat Cheese, Lemon Hummus Viniagrette
Firestone Union Jack 

Duo of Grilled Langoustine and Ostrich Etouffee
Risotto Cake, Preserved Lemon Oil, Saffron-Infused Jasmine Rice 
Firestone Double Barrel Ale, Firestone Double Double Barrel Ale

Coffee-Rubbed Tenderloin Medallions
Slow-Roasted Baby Carrots, Cauliflower Puree 
Firestone Velvet Merlin 

Molten Chocolate Cake 
White Chocolate Crème Anglaise
Firestone 17th Anniversary Ale
I'm a little worried about the banh mi (crostini? what?) and curious about the ostrich/langostine. I'd expect a langoustine etouffee and grilled ostrich, but what do I know? For the most part this chef is pretty good so it'll be interesting to see what he does.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I've done a banh mi crostini before. Worked pretty well.

Banh Mi Crostini by gtrwndr87, on Flickr

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp

pr0k posted:

You still got a kidney, no?

Kidding. Menu sounds ambitious. No other info to go on, so I vote meh.

Oh, it's probably going to be loving amazing. I used to work for both of the guys that do it, and the woman who does the wine pairings is pretty drat good at what she does. Part of me wants to go just to see Eddie and Matty before they go back on the road for filming, but I really don't have the money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

GrAviTy84 posted:

I've done a banh mi crostini before. Worked pretty well.

Banh Mi Crostini by gtrwndr87, on Flickr

I can basically guarantee it won't be as pretty as that one, but it does give me hope.