Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Chin Strap posted:

With the PS4 launch have they added better controller support to the PC version yet? Really hate mouse and keyboard for this but they don't expose enough stuff as hotkeys that I can even do a custom steam controller setup that isn't mouse heavy.

So I guess this is a no? Have the developers said anything more about when they might add it back in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Hackan Slash posted:

What are some interesting lineups to go for, and what skills are worth having?

My main group is vestal-plague doctor-highwayman-crusader (team vanilla) and I'd like to see what else has decent synergy.

This entire thread is full of good suggestions. For my part, I just discovered the mobile Man-at-Arms/Highwayman synergy! Both have a decent attack that moves them forward one square, and the highwayman can kick rear end with point blank shot, while the MAA can stay where you want him, and leap forward with his stunning Rampart blow. Both can riposte, which is great fun if you also have dodge buffs in play.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Hackan Slash posted:

What are some interesting lineups to go for, and what skills are worth having?

My main group is vestal-plague doctor-highwayman-crusader (team vanilla) and I'd like to see what else has decent synergy.

Answering that question is basically the entire game, but the top two priorities is a team that can deal damage and avoid damage.

Dealing damage is obvious, but you want to maximize not only your raw damage, but also be able to attack all enemy ranks, or be able to inflict bleeds / blights to bypass enemy Protection. Exactly which attacks work well varies a bit depending on where you're going. Bleed attacks are very strong in the weald, where every enemy is bleedable, but very weak in the ruins, where many enemies are impossible to bleed, and sub-par in the cove, where enemies are bleedable, but pretty resistant.

Avoiding damage is usually done either by reversing damage through strong healing (the vestal way) or by preventing damage by stunning (the plague doctor way), absorbing damage by being super tough (the man-at-arms way), or preventing damage by attacking first and killing the enemy before they can attack (the Graverobber way). One thing that makes your Team Vanilla nice is that they have a top-tier healer (vestal) a top-tier stunner (plague doctor), and a second-tier stunner (crusader).

You'll notice I didn't mention stress. I find if you do well at the above, stress kind of takes care of itself, as long as you don't do silly things like kill enemy stress dealers last.

So when putting together a team try to have as many of the following:

Offense
- High raw damage
- Appropriate Bleed / Blight infliction
- Good targeting ability
- High speed

Defense
- Good healing
- Good stunning
- High Dodge or Protection
- High speed

Here's what role each team member can fill
Abomination
Good damage, High target flexibility, Good speed, Good stunning. Can heal himself. If you use him for damage, he's hard on party stress. Probably eats people.

Antiquarian
Bad at everything, but can increase the odds of your tank being hit instead of herself, which is pretty good if you have a beefy character who doesn't have a guard skill like a Leper or Crusader. Nerd.

Arbalest
Good Damage, Good target flexibility, decent healing. Kind of a one-trick pony, but what a trick. Member of the Marking Bros.

Bounty Hunter
Decent damage, Good target flexibility, Good stunner. More damage vs. human-type enemies. Member of the Marking Bros.

Crusader
Good damage, even better vs. Unholy. Mediocre target flexibility. Secondary Stunner, Secondary healer, Secondary stress healer. Very beefy, only Leper is beefier. Decent at everything, can even boost the torch. Is less frustrated by being shuffled than most frontliners. Bad speed. Deus Vult.

Grave Robber
High damage, high damage, high damage. Made of paper. Excellent target flexibility. Can inflict Blight. Very situational stunning ability. Super fast. Foppish.

Hellion
High damage, best target flexibility of the frontliners. Squishiest frontliner. Can inflict bleeds. Mediocre self-heal. Polearms are cool.

Highwayman
Good damage, excellent target flexibility. Decently beefy for a midliner, can even handle front-row positioning for a while. Can inflict bleeds. Trench coat.

Houndmaster
Mediocre damage, better vs. beasts. Excellent target flexibility, good stunner, can inflict weak bleeds. Can dodge tank and heal himself. Can stress heal. Good dog. Member of the Marking Bros.

Jester
Mediocre damage, but decent bleeder. Extremely weird and hard-to-manage targeting flexibility. Best stress healer. Super squishy. Bad jokes.

Leper
Highest damage in the game. Highest HP in the game. Worst flexibility in the game. Worst accuracy in the game. Slow. Inflicts no blights, bleeds, stuns, just damage damage damage. Can heal and stress-heal himself. Can raise his protection but not guard others. Poet.

Man-at-Arms
Decent damage. Good stunner. Best tank. Good target flexibility. Tricky to use until you know enemy attacks. Once you do, guard and riposte like a boss. Great accuracy buff, really takes the edge off high-level enemy dodge tanks. Mustache.

Occultist
Mediocre damage, better vs. Eldritch. Good target flexibility. Best single-target healer (if the RNG favors you). Member of the Marking Bros.

Plague Doctor
Worst raw damage, but best at blights. Decent at bleeds. Bad healer, but can remove blights and bleeds. Best stunner in the game. Resistant to status effects.
Has leeches.

Vestal
Mediocre damage. Best healer in the game. Secondary stunner. Good for your torchlight. Surprisingly tanky, and can attack while healing herself. Bad accuracy.

Mzbundifund fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Oct 4, 2016

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

this is of paramount importance

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Mediocre damage on the Houndmaster except for your choice of two battles in any dungeon. :colbert:

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
Also fantastic damage on one of the more lethal bosses with his multi-target bleed. And pretty good damage in the Warrens

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

Bogart posted:

Mediocre damage on the Houndmaster except for your choice of two battles in any dungeon. :colbert:

I never end up thinking to use the doggy biscuits until it's time to dump them for loot.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

lol if you're monstrous enough to ditch them in favour of loot, because then the dog won't get his treats

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

lol if you're monstrous enough to ditch them in favour of loot, because then the dog won't get his treats

Doggy treats are temporary, loot is eternal. Until you die and drop it

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Cicadalek posted:

Also fantastic damage on one of the more lethal bosses with his multi-target bleed. And pretty good damage in the Warrens

I've heard this a lot but is it really that amazing? Hound's harry does 1-3 bleed damage a round, depending on the level of the skill, while plague grenade does 4-6. So assuming all targets get hit, hound's harry inflicts 4-12 bleed damage per round, while plague grenade is 8-12. Hound's harry only catches up at the max rank, and never surpasses plague grenade. To make matters worse, the Flesh's head and ribs actually have a higher bleed resist than blight resist, while only the butt resists blight stronger than bleed. The heart is even. I know Hound's Harry technically does some damage on strike, but the flesh's innate protection means most of the time the strike damage of Hound's Harry is going to be 0 anyway.

It just seems better to take a plague doctor for your damage on that one. especially since the Flesh inflicts lots of status effects itself, and you can use the plague doctor to clear those off your team if emergency strikes, or if the back row is full of blight-resistant butts, you can just double-stun the thing.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
dogmans are good in the first 2 rows though

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Coolguye posted:

dogmans are good in the first 2 rows though

Yeah, true. Dogmans are so flexible they're good lots of places, although they're squishy enough that it can be dangerous to put them there without a man-at-arms or something to tank the Jaws of Life attack, especially if you're going double plague doctor to maximize damage and not bringing a healer. Hellions are pretty good vs. the flesh because they can hit any target, so they can easily capitalize whenever a Heart appears, and they're fast enough they have good odds of YAWPing the front two rows. You can actually do pretty well vs. the flesh by just YAWPing and Stun Powdering the whole dang thing every other round, although if you want to try that I'd recommend bringing a Jester to make sure you go first. Jester's Harvest ability is actually not awful vs. the flesh either in the rounds you're not buffing.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

One tip if you plan to constantly yawp for a boss fight: I think you can clear the yawp debuff with consumables like any other debuff. It is a little pricey, but if you can knock that off 2-3 times it can boost your dps substantially.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
The Houndmaster also has some of the best innate Dodge, iirc, and with Guard Dog he can buff himself up even better. As long as it bleeds, the old lawman and his Good Dog can kill it. :black101:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

electronic dogmen... and their... flexibility...

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Arcturas posted:

One tip if you plan to constantly yawp for a boss fight: I think you can clear the yawp debuff with consumables like any other debuff. It is a little pricey, but if you can knock that off 2-3 times it can boost your dps substantially.

The debuff from Battle Trance can also be herbed away and is absolutely worth the cost of the herbs for any boss fight you bring a Hellion to (imo this should be all of them).

I think party composition has a lot to do with personal style, I personally am a big fan of going heavy damage with heavily buffed Vestal heals in the back. Vestal/X/Leper/Hellion was my go-to squad with X rotating between Plague Doctors/Grave Robbers/Houndmasters depending on whether I was prioritizing status effect removal/mounds of DPS/all the stuff that Houndmaster offers.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

Power of Pecota posted:

The debuff from Battle Trance can also be herbed away and is absolutely worth the cost of the herbs for any boss fight you bring a Hellion to (imo this should be all of them).

I think party composition has a lot to do with personal style, I personally am a big fan of going heavy damage with heavily buffed Vestal heals in the back. Vestal/X/Leper/Hellion was my go-to squad with X rotating between Plague Doctors/Grave Robbers/Houndmasters depending on whether I was prioritizing status effect removal/mounds of DPS/all the stuff that Houndmaster offers.

Just asking because I'm still relatively new to the game: why would Hellion be out of position 1 and therefore debuffed by Battle Trance? Just in case something moves her away?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
yeah if you're going to bring a hellion to a boss fight you always bring herbs. you don't go to the hardest fights in the game and play with half a deck. or rather if you do the gently caress is wrong with you

Eldred posted:

Just asking because I'm still relatively new to the game: why would Hellion be out of position 1 and therefore debuffed by Battle Trance? Just in case something moves her away?

yes; remember that the hellion herself isn't the whole equation there. even if she is buffed to resist pushes, the plague doctor back in rank 3 probably isn't and can't resist a pull that will nonetheless fade the hellion out of position. it's far better to just bring an extra set of herbs, remove the downside, and stop worrying about it entirely.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Oct 4, 2016

minya
Sep 7, 2004

SUN RA WAS HERE IN HIS ELEMENT
he invited me back for a ride
Hi, I bought this game on PS4 last night. It's super cool. It's also super hard and I am extremely bad at it.

I read a couple 'starter guides' (one on the Steam page, one early on in this thread). There were some good tips in there — like, I need to learn to be more of a mercenary and just dismiss dudes that suck. But, like, how do I progress?

Should I be dismissing people that are overstressed?

The game is really fun but I suck really bad at it and I'm not sure what I should do to get better.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

minya posted:

Hi, I bought this game on PS4 last night. It's super cool. It's also super hard and I am extremely bad at it.

I read a couple 'starter guides' (one on the Steam page, one early on in this thread). There were some good tips in there — like, I need to learn to be more of a mercenary and just dismiss dudes that suck. But, like, how do I progress?

Should I be dismissing people that are overstressed?

The game is really fun but I suck really bad at it and I'm not sure what I should do to get better.

Very early game: Focus on upgrading your stagecoach a few times so that you can have a bunch of dudes in storage and at least 4 to choose from each time. Look at guys' quirks and try to sort them into long term and short term hires. Long-term hires have quirks that are good for their class (like Lepers with Natural Swing), short-term hires have rubbish positive quirks and bad negatraits. Don't feel bad about hiring a dude for exactly one run and then kicking him to the curb. Hiring a guy costs no money. As long as he made you money, he served his purpose.

Early game: Cheap out on runs and store up some cash. Throw short-term hires into dungeons and fire them shortly thereafter when they're stressed or have better options come along in the stagecoach. You're not running a therapy clinic. Save up some crests, deeds, and portraits. Focus on saving up maybe 20,000 pennies and get your Blacksmith and Guild up. Get some long-term hires up to level 2 and upgrade their weapons, armor, and skills. These guys will form your core group, and will be the only ones to benefit from stress relief or sanitarium services. ALWAYS look at the stagecoach every week, and hire anyone who's better than anyone currently on your roster.

Breaking into midgame: Start sending core group teams of upgraded level 2 guys to kill apprentice-level bosses. Don't cheap out on supplies for these missions. As you kill bosses you'll start getting guys levelling up to 3 and becoming eligible for veteran-level dungeons. Veteran level dungeons are a significant step-up in difficulty, do NOT send your new level 3 guys there until you have the resources to upgrade their weapons and armor again.

Midgame: Most of your roster will have transitioned from short-term garbage to longer-term promising people. Time to start making serious money. Send folks on one or two-camp veteran-level dungeons with decent amounts of supplies. Try to bring a bonus to scouting, either people with perks that raise their scout chance in a relevant dungeon, camping skills, or +scouting trinkets. Scouting is super important, in one or two-camp dungeons it lets you find secret rooms with thousands and thousands of pennies in them, as well as making you immune to traps and surprise attacks. You'll be coming home with packs full of 1,500 coin stacks and gems. Cure people of quirks that make them auto-touch stuff in the halls, those quirks cost you serious money. You'll start to have more weak common trinkets than you're likely to use by now - don't be afraid to sell them off.

Spend your money rolls on upgrading all your guys and finishing off the last few apprentice-level bosses. Don't worry if you get teams ascending to level 5 before you kill the veteran level bosses. Just set some promising boss slayers aside and don't level them past 4. Level 5 and 6 guys can just do money runs in champion-tier dungeons instead. Champion dungeons are another big difficulty spike, so as before, do NOT send new level 5 guys into a champion-tier dungeons until their equipment is as good as they can handle.

Does that help?

minya
Sep 7, 2004

Mzbundifund posted:

Does that help?
Super helpful, yes. Thank you! I think I need to be way more of a mercenary when it comes to dismissing guys/using them as fodder/etc.

What's a good number of food and torches to bring along on each mission? I feel like I over-buy to be on the safe side, but that is probably not a good idea.

minya
Sep 7, 2004

One more question: when is it worth upgrading guys? Only after they've hit level 2? The first time I spent playing I feel like I wasted some upgrades — either upgrading people I didn't really need to upgrade, or upgrading people who died immediately after, etc.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

overbuying is absolutely a good idea with experienced dudes or on higher difficulties, but:

8/16/24 torches if you're up against light-drainers or want to stay constantly in 75+ light

8/14/18 torches for short/medium/long if you don't mind dipping into the dark before camping

food should always be one stack per dungeon-length imo, unless you have ways to stop your guys needing food or you've got loads of herbs in the weald

the game is about trying to control variables and minimize risk. don't skimp on food/torches if you're risking high-level characters, but if you're learning the ropes, send in a 0-level party with what you think to be inadequate provisions and see what happens

e: upgrade people as soon as you can, imo, but upgrade the guild/foundry asap so that it's cheaper. level 2 with level 2 upgrades on beginner dungeons is the easiest the game will ever be

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Upgrade folks who have decent quirks and you expect to be using for a while. If they're level 1 and fit the bill, then go ahead and upgrade them, as long as you still have the cash to pay for supplies for the next mission. Sometimes they'll die, you'll make mistakes, and that's ok. Don't ever feel like you need to restart the game - heroes are expendable, but those town upgrades are permanent.

As for food/torches, everyone has their own ideas, I like 12 food and 8 torches for a short dungeon. More food if you don't have a healer. That's a loose value, feel free to adjust it up/down if you often find yourself with leftovers or going hungry. Make sure you bring some other items so you can get guaranteed rewards out of hallway curios.

minya
Sep 7, 2004

this is really helpful thanks (i have never really played any roguelike games before)

minya
Sep 7, 2004

Sounds like quirks (having good quirks vs. having few bad quirks) are one of the main factors I should use to decide which guys to focus on / level up / take care of vs. which to dismiss / use as fodder, yeah?

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Exactly, you need to be ruthless medieval human resources manager, care about your heroes to the degree they help you /amount you have invested in them.

minya
Sep 7, 2004

LionYeti posted:

Exactly, you need to be ruthless medieval human resources manager, care about your heroes to the degree they help you /amount you have invested in them.

Darkest Dungeon: Two Weeks' Notice

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Also know which quirks not to care about. ones that force curio interaction, -speed, and -% resist are range from bad to real bad. but ones that effect or limit town activities or give small negatives to stats that aren't speed or resists matter a lot less

your jester having -1% crit isn't worth either treatment or firing

Guys with on guard, % increases to resists or damage, X slayer/hater are worth holding onto and guarding within reason

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

minya posted:

You can definitely play cautiously and never have to throw anybody to murderwolves but I've burned out on the game twice with that approach. :nyoron:

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

minya posted:

Darkest Dungeon really is Football Manager: Eldritch Edition.

As for quirks, having a few good ones or terrible ones can affect who you hire, but early on you'll probably not have much choice. It's probably a good idea to have a varied roster of all classes early on, until you find the ones you like the most. After you figure out your favorite combinations(you probably should find more than one) then start locking in quirks you like and removing ones you find hurt them too much.

Having depth on your roster helps, since lvl 3+ heroes won't do beginner dungeons, and lvl 5+ heroes won't do veteran or beginner ones. I prefer upgrading the barrack's size after I upgrade the stagecoach a few times. 4 heroes per week is usually enough, and you won't get much mileage out of them if you don't have slots on your roster to put them in.
Also, having more slots helps you stall out moving to the next level of dungeons a bit longer, which helps you get better prepared.

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011
I made the jump to Champion bosses. I'd handled the two lower tiers without any particular problem (ie. no deaths) and I'd saved enough gold to give my level 5 team max upgrades.

And they got slaughtered. Any advice for that? I think my tactics and party composition are ok; like I said, the Veteran bosses weren't any particular trouble. But wow, the Champion level pig was just a series of stuns and giant damage numbers.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
The swines really want an Arbalest to be spamming Signal Flare for mark mitigation.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
Signal Flare is definitely the easiest way, but you can also bring a dodge/protect heavy team (houndmaster, man at arms) to try and guard people who get targeted by Wilbur. I can't remember if debuffing the boss' damage with an Occultist works, it definitely does for the Prophet.

You also probably know this if you're at Champion level, but do not attack Wilbur under any circumstances until the big guy is dead

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

BurningStone posted:

I made the jump to Champion bosses. I'd handled the two lower tiers without any particular problem (ie. no deaths) and I'd saved enough gold to give my level 5 team max upgrades.

And they got slaughtered. Any advice for that? I think my tactics and party composition are ok; like I said, the Veteran bosses weren't any particular trouble. But wow, the Champion level pig was just a series of stuns and giant damage numbers.

Depends on how much of a badass you feel like being.

Arbalest / Plague Doctor / <shitfucker> / <shitfucker>

PD has a backrow stun that will save your party a few stuns from Wilbur and a few marks too. Hell, it may even stun the God as well! It also deals 0 damage, making it safe from retribution.
Arbalest can heal, wreck poo poo and, if necessary, clear stuns and marks.
<shitfucker> may be someone like the Bounty Hunter, which would synergize well with the Arbalest. You could also pick an offensively geared Houndmaster. Mark synergy, cookies, bleed and extra damage against Beasts means a bad time for the God. You can also just gear him to buff his stun to make the trip easier.
Front row <shitfucker> can be something hard hitting like the Leper or something more versatile like a Hellion, to make the trip to the boss easier.

I don't usually use Arbalests, so I replace it with a Vestal because I love that AoE heal. It doesn't do much when the God is whacking your heroes for 30 damage a turn, though.

quote:

I can't remember if debuffing the boss' damage with an Occultist works, it definitely does for the Prophet.

It does with two occultists spamming it back to back, which gets screwed over really easily by Wilbur's stuns. Mark gives the God +100% damage, so you need to neuter him to -200% damage or more in order for that to work.

Halser fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Oct 6, 2016

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Mzbundifund posted:

Very early game: Focus on upgrading your stagecoach a few times so that you can have a bunch of dudes in storage and at least 4 to choose from each time. Look at guys' quirks and try to sort them into long term and short term hires. Long-term hires have quirks that are good for their class (like Lepers with Natural Swing), short-term hires have rubbish positive quirks and bad negatraits. Don't feel bad about hiring a dude for exactly one run and then kicking him to the curb. Hiring a guy costs no money. As long as he made you money, he served his purpose.

Early game: Cheap out on runs and store up some cash. Throw short-term hires into dungeons and fire them shortly thereafter when they're stressed or have better options come along in the stagecoach. You're not running a therapy clinic. Save up some crests, deeds, and portraits. Focus on saving up maybe 20,000 pennies and get your Blacksmith and Guild up. Get some long-term hires up to level 2 and upgrade their weapons, armor, and skills. These guys will form your core group, and will be the only ones to benefit from stress relief or sanitarium services. ALWAYS look at the stagecoach every week, and hire anyone who's better than anyone currently on your roster.

These are helpful for me, I just bought it on PS4 today. I've upgraded the coach so that I have 4 come in per week, and I can have 12 in my group now. So I have about 5 who are decent and have leveled up once and I try to get their sanity in check while I do short runs for loot with disposable chumps from the coach. If they get too crazy after a run I dump 'em (or if they're dead, well, fine). I've been using the loot to upgrade things like the bar since I know that will be useful even if my good dudes die.

I think I generally have the feel of the game down, but the UI on PS4 seems really counter-intuitive. First run I ever did, I accidentally discarded all of my torches when I was trying to use one, for example. I also don't really know what trinkets do (is that even what they're called?)... I sold two, probably shouldn't have done that but didn't know what they were for, so. I don't even know how to equip them! (Do you equip them?) Also, I have never set up a camp and don't know how to, or what it's for, and I am guessing by trial and error that if I have leftover food and shovels (etc.) after a run it just goes in the bin? Also I have never upgraded anybody's anything.

~*~ a learning process ~*~

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011
Thanks for all the advice. So for the Champion bosses, do you basically have to set up a special boss killing team? I just went in with an ordinary dungeon group.

And yea, I learned the hard way not to touch Wilber. My first time I fought that boss I went in unspoiled, and my first action was to blight Wilbur. Not the best idea.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

glad they labelled the bottle. i wasn't quite getting the general theme of the DLC expansion "The Crimson Court" until i saw that

Servants can be stupid at times. When you want wine and get blood, that's no good. And also the other way about.

An entire dungeon of those bone nobles, and upgraded versions, and more. Oy.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Oct 6, 2016

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

The Berzerker posted:

These are helpful for me, I just bought it on PS4 today. I've upgraded the coach so that I have 4 come in per week, and I can have 12 in my group now. So I have about 5 who are decent and have leveled up once and I try to get their sanity in check while I do short runs for loot with disposable chumps from the coach. If they get too crazy after a run I dump 'em (or if they're dead, well, fine). I've been using the loot to upgrade things like the bar since I know that will be useful even if my good dudes die.

I think I generally have the feel of the game down, but the UI on PS4 seems really counter-intuitive. First run I ever did, I accidentally discarded all of my torches when I was trying to use one, for example. I also don't really know what trinkets do (is that even what they're called?)... I sold two, probably shouldn't have done that but didn't know what they were for, so. I don't even know how to equip them! (Do you equip them?) Also, I have never set up a camp and don't know how to, or what it's for, and I am guessing by trial and error that if I have leftover food and shovels (etc.) after a run it just goes in the bin? Also I have never upgraded anybody's anything.

~*~ a learning process ~*~

Yeah you'll figure it all out - it's pretty self-explanatory. Camping is done by embarking on a Medium or Long dungeon which start showing up after a while. You'll automatically start the dungeon with a bundle of firewood in one of your inventory slots, and clicking on it while in a room will cause your guys to camp, where you can eat food to recover health and stress, and activate camping skills to get various other benefits.

Extra food and shovels are sold back at a fraction of their original price. Trinkets probably shouldn't be sold right away! Open one of your guy's character sheets and drag them to the empty slots near their weapons and armor.

As far as upgrading stuff, once you've run a few dungeons you'll get access to the Guild and Blacksmith where you can upgrade skills and equipment. Level 0 heroes can't have upgraded stuff though, so you won't be upgrading anything until some of your guys level.

BurningStone posted:

Thanks for all the advice. So for the Champion bosses, do you basically have to set up a special boss killing team? I just went in with an ordinary dungeon group.

And yea, I learned the hard way not to touch Wilber. My first time I fought that boss I went in unspoiled, and my first action was to blight Wilbur. Not the best idea.

Apprentice bosses (usually) aren't too bad, a standard balanced dungeoning team will probably be fine. Champion bosses are pretty rough - you'll definitely want to plan a team to exploit their weaknesses. Pay attention to how the boss works in the apprentice and veteran dungeons so you know what to expect in Champion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
I got this game a couple weeks ago as a present, been enjoying it immensely. I feel like I value my dudes too much cause I've been kinda making slow progress with minimal casualties but the game doesn't seem to punish you at all for that unless you're just racing for some sort of optimal low week score.

One area i feel like I consistently could have banked some money on during each week is what resources I take and I just kind of wanted to confirm that part of this was up to rng. hunger in particular seems to come in fits and starts, I've gotten decent enough at planning that I feel like I don't really need food for health except in specific parties but I always end up taking a lot because I've had bad experiences with getting a hungry proc 3 times in the span of 5 rooms, is there a way to play around this or are you basically rolling the dice each time?

Similarly torches don't seem to be too much of an issue except for the times you randomly get the darkness boss, when i googled around I see a lot of darkness runs as a way of getting more money and speeding the game up but for the 2 and only 2 times I let my torches fall to pitch black I got that stupid boss in literally the next corridor. It's fine on apprentice dungeons but beyond that he's pretty rough.

Lastly consumables like shovels seem super hit and miss, I spend the money and bring them and they're never a problem but god help me if I ever ditch them for loot I'll get two hallways in a row with an obstacle. The other ones which seem mostly like free benefits at curios if you have them on you tend to play out similarly, really the only consistent one I've found worth bringing is the (1) herb and (1) key, beyond that it's a gamble if the item will be of any use. I take shovels anyways just because the penalty to not having them is so steep, but the other stuff feels questionable.

I'm plodding along at some stupidly late week for my progress (tho I do have pretty much all the upgrades in town and now a decent couple groups of 5+ dudes) but the rng itself makes the game a smidge daunting, I'd prefer if the game played a smidge more fair but made the timeline itself more strict, like xcom or something.

ArbitraryC fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Oct 6, 2016