Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

iospace posted:

A significant number of farmers get gov money. They know it's a handout but DON'T YOU DARE COMPARE IT TO WELFARE.

No really, they hate it when you do that.

Related: Farmers are probably the only people who I can feel sorry for when they get hit by the estate tax. Their assets can easily add up over 5m (farm equipment isn't cheap)

They say it's different because, as farmers, they actually work for their money. Plus if it wasn't for farmers nobody would get to eat so obviously farmers deserve to be super ultra respected, have their votes count triple, get to decide what the Constitution means, and also be ultra mega rich. Oh and get all the land, too. All. Of. It.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

ToxicSlurpee posted:

They say it's different because, as farmers, they actually work for their money. Plus if it wasn't for farmers nobody would get to eat so obviously farmers deserve to be super ultra respected, have their votes count triple, get to decide what the Constitution means, and also be ultra mega rich. Oh and get all the land, too. All. Of. It.

Never mind that most agriculture is handled by factory farms owned by large international agro-business corporations like Archer Daniels Midland, Kraft, Tyson, or JBS S.A. and most labor employed by them are migrant workers from Central and South America.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

iospace posted:

Related: Farmers are probably the only people who I can feel sorry for when they get hit by the estate tax. Their assets can easily add up over 5m (farm equipment isn't cheap)

Baww i have enough money that if i liquidated all my assets i could live off the interest but the mean ol' government wants to take my tractor bawwwwwwwww

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Baww i have enough money that if i liquidated all my assets i could live off the interest but the mean ol' government wants to take my tractor bawwwwwwwww
While there's farmers who no one can legitimately feel sorry for getting hit by the estate tax no doubt, it's surprisingly easy for even smaller family farms to end up over the estate tax line and while those farmers are solidly middle-class, they're obviously not who the estate tax is aimed at. The farmers that we should feel sorry for are the ones who have taken every penny that they earned from the farm over 50-60 years of farming and put it right back into expanding the farm, whether that's buying equipment, buying more land, diversifying what the farm produces, and who end up with $5 million in assets, but with much of it tied up in the physical farm location, so that it can't be liquidated piecemeal to pay the tax, but instead must be sold off in total.

Now, on one side, you're right in saying that each of the heirs is gonna end up with a pretty decent check at the end, but that ignores just how interconnected family farms are with each other. For example, if three sons and their dad all farm land near each other, they're each going to make equipment purchases strategically. If the four farms need two combines between all of them to harvest the land, two of them are gonna buy the combine, then use it on all four of their farms. Now, they're gonna need somewhere to store what they harvest with those two combines, so one of the other brothers puts up a small elevator on their farm, but they all store their harvest there, since it's far cheaper for one of them to build a big enough one to cover them all than for each of them to build a smaller one. The fourth farmer then purchases the necessary trucks to get the harvest from the combines to the elevator, then also to market when the time is right.

This kind of equipment and land sharing happens all the time, as it's the only way that family farmers can remain competitive with corporate farming. Now, say one of them dies, let's say the one who built the couple million dollar elevator that they all went in on together. While the rest of the family farmers may be his heirs, when the estate tax kicks in, suddenly the three remaining farmers need to either come up with a million dollars in taxes or sell off that part of the farm, which means that none of them have that elevator to use anymore. Maybe they sell off one of the combines, and some of the land, since if they can't harvest it, what's the point of keeping it? Now they've got an elevator with way more capacity than they need, since they just had to sell off half the land, since they can't harvest it anymore, or they lose the elevator, but retain the land, which is better but creates a whole new set of problems.

Nowadays, younger farmers (i.e. those under 50) anticipate this problem well in advance and deal with it in a variety of ways such as forming cooperatives and other legal entities for common purchases, but that's by no means every farmer, particularly not the ones who are dying now who have been farming since the 1960s. If they were stubborn and didn't want to do any planning or were gonna do it but dropped dead in their field from a heart attack, suddenly there's a huge mess that doesn't just affect the estate, but the livelihoods of family members on whom they relied.

These aren't the people that the estate tax was targeted at, but they're getting caught up in it anyways.

Azathoth has issued a correction as of 00:33 on Sep 5, 2016

The_Book_Of_Harry
Apr 30, 2013

How many families are affected in that way in the average year?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
CPBB sez the number of family farms or small businesses that qualify is about 20. Folks also aren't considering all the extant exemptions in the tax, or a bunch of elements that let you do things like spread out payment over time.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

No clue, and I don't know if there's a way to even know, but living in a rural area, I hear crap like "look how much money farmers have, that combine costs a half a million dollars" far too frequently. While most of the farmers I know aren't poor, they're definitely not the kind of wealthy that should be the targets of estate taxes. It's becoming less of an issue nowadays, since people hear horror stories from friends or more distant family and then take steps to deal with it long before it becomes an issue, but there's still a lot of old farmers around who have been working the land for decades and just don't think about this kind of thing.

The disconnect comes from how many farmers look at what they do and don't think of themselves as essentially being small business owners, at least not to the same degree that someone operating just about any other small business would. Most everyone I know who's a farmer grew up on a farm and got their start in one way or another from their parents/grandparents either giving them land to farm, or helping them purchase land to farm nearby, then helping them farm said land, so the idea that the farm is really a business in the sense of needing to file articles of incorporation and that associated bullshit. The younger generation of farmers, really those 50 and under, generally understand this, and it's why just about every farmer or allied agribusiness owner I know has either an associates or a bachelors degree.

Just think about all the people who die without filing a will or making any kind of plans. Even smart folks, folks with lots of money, folks who should know better do exactly this. Now imagine that when these people die that it's not just a legal headache for their heirs to sort out the whole drat thing, but that it directly affects their livelihoods as well.

Anyways, this is really tangential to the thread, and I don't want to drag the thread further off topic, it's just I've known a couple farmers who passed away unexpectedly in the last year, and it really showed up close how interconnected everything is out here, and Parallel Paraplegic's comment struck a nerve.

EDIT:

Discendo Vox posted:

CPBB sez the number of family farms or small businesses that qualify is about 20. Folks also aren't considering all the extant exemptions in the tax, or a bunch of elements that let you do things like spread out payment over time.

Well, looks like I'm totally in left field on this one. Apologies for my confusion.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Nah, I grew up in the country too so I know what you're talking about. But it can be surprising to compare what people say over a beer versus cold statistics, especially when matters of money and DA GUBMINT are involved.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Discendo Vox posted:

I'll take my lumps on this one too. Thanks for the source.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

You incorporate your farm as a business like a sane person so you don't sell it off for estate tax. There are thousands of farm lawyers around the country that ensure that doesn't happen

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

At first I thought you missed like, a percent sign or something but nope, 20 total. I didn't even expect it to be that low and I assumed it was lower than claimed already :v:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
NBD- I found that source because I was looking to see if the estate tax was marginally applied! Do note that CPBB is a Democrat-leaning source.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Goodpancakes posted:

You incorporate your farm as a business like a sane person so you don't sell it off for estate tax. There are thousands of farm lawyers around the country that ensure that doesn't happen

I could totally believe that this was a problem at one point though.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Lmao his entire lifes journey was to get that face to this point

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
What a beautiful JPEG.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Volcott posted:

What a beautiful JPEG.

It's quite an artifact :downsrim:

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

So what does he expect people to do, break him and his hick family out of jail for patriotism?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
The estate tax hurting farmers is one of the biggest boogeymen rich people have came up with.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

hobbesmaster posted:

I could totally believe that this was a problem at one point though.

I find it dubious, farms were much smaller through time. Increasing automation and incorporation has really changed farming over the years.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

-Noted slave owner Thomas Jefferson

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

TheBalor posted:

-Noted slave owner Thomas Jefferson

"Let me tell you something about the negro..." - Cliven Bundy

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx

Geostomp posted:

So what does he expect people to do, break him and his hick family out of jail for patriotism?

Its this kind of poo poo thats gonna land him and his brother in supermax.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Geostomp posted:

That or pick up where they left off. Didn't they explicitly intend on inspiring the Glorious White Man's Rebellion?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Okay, how can I turn off goddamn animated backgrounds? :negative: At the end of every loop it causes a brief hitch.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
ryanbundyface.css

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Okay, how can I turn off goddamn animated backgrounds? :negative: At the end of every loop it causes a brief hitch.

page style->no style or block the asset. couldn't find out how to do either of those things in chrome so I'm using firefox atm.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I was able to block it with this rule:

code:
||fi.somethingawful.com/images/cspam-halloween.gif$image

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

It's doing the same for me, which is a drat shame-and I'm too illiterate to do what others have mentioned so far without further explanation.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Go to chrome://flags

Change the two GPU Rasterizations or whatever to Enabled and give it 4 threads

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

GreyjoyBastard posted:

What EHF said. Or don't use chrome. Your pick.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Farewell sweet prince

https://twitter.com/leszaitz/status/773158642304491520

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Trial starts Wednesday, right? Is it going to be streaming?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

WrenP-Complete posted:

Trial starts Wednesday, right? Is it going to be streaming?

Nah, the prosecution dropped that request. Twitter feeds to watch are:

https://twitter.com/maxoregonian

https://twitter.com/ryanjhaas

https://twitter.com/amandapeacher

https://twitter.com/jjmacnab

edit: Ammon Bundy's filings are filled with nonsense. I may create a PACER account to access more of them- if so, I'll be sure to share.

Discendo Vox has issued a correction as of 18:20 on Sep 6, 2016

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Yesss I am so grateful to work remotely.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Bundy's entrapment filing

Motion to dismiss counsel

sincerely yours, ryan c of the bundy society

edit: fixed, appreciate the congrats

Discendo Vox has issued a correction as of 19:12 on Sep 6, 2016

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

Bundy's entrapment filing

Motion to dismiss counsel

sincerely yours, ryan c of the bundy society

Both of those link to the entrapment document. I respectfully pray that the poster edits the links.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

So is the whole 'Comes now the X' formatting a sovcit funnovation or an actual legal thing?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

also wait, is he claiming that the government has to disprove entrapment rather than him having to prove it? because i'm pretty sure that's not how entrapment works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Mors Rattus posted:

So is the whole 'Comes now the X' formatting a sovcit funnovation or an actual legal thing?

It's a thing- varies by court system whether or not it's used. I don't think anyone likes it. No idea if it's required in Oregon court. edit: the pro se forms on the court website don't have it, but they're completely different from Bundy's filings, since genuine forms, meant to be uber user friendly.

I have no idea about the structure/detail of the entrapment stuff- it's not my bailiwick.

Discendo Vox has issued a correction as of 19:27 on Sep 6, 2016