Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
9lbs on the dot without the straplocks. Post-Norlin so I believe has weight relief under the top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

80s lp is sick

mewse
May 2, 2006

Do you think you'll do anything about this pickup ring? I'm all for keeping things original but having things functionally broken like that would really annoy me. It might be fixable with epoxy.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

darkwasthenight posted:

9lbs on the dot without the straplocks. Post-Norlin so I believe has weight relief under the top.

ah nice. 9 lb is a good weight for that. im glad you didnt' find one of the freak 12+ lb stuff floating around from earlier 80s

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

mewse posted:

Do you think you'll do anything about this pickup ring? I'm all for keeping things original but having things functionally broken like that would really annoy me. It might be fixable with epoxy.

Yeah reinforce from underneath with super glue would be the way I think. Leave the damage but stabilize it

mewse
May 2, 2006

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Yeah reinforce from underneath with super glue would be the way I think. Leave the damage but stabilize it

Adapted from motorcycle fairing repair: apply aluminum tape to the underside for support, apply clear JB weld epoxy to the top side where the chunk is missing, drill a new hole

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

mewse posted:

It's actually already been epoxied underneath so it's mostly stable and functional as long as you're careful removing and reinstalling the pickups.

I'd like to replace it because it's also broken on the long angles and I'm not precious about these things, but that's in the pile of future works which probably also include a refret. Shame to lose the nibs but these original frets have been worked hard and unlikely we'll be able to get another dress out of them. 36 years next month is a good run for a single set.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

NGD

MiM Strat. And yes, this color scheme does make me sound *just* like Gilmour.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEHdoql_x0U

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

ethanol posted:

ah nice. 9 lb is a good weight for that. im glad you didnt' find one of the freak 12+ lb stuff floating around from earlier 80s

I’ve noticed it became a minor “thing” to proclaim your love of these. Like some Giles Cory “more weight!!!!” poo poo but macho and contrarian.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I’ve noticed it became a minor “thing” to proclaim your love of these. Like some Giles Cory “more weight!!!!” poo poo but macho and contrarian.

Yeah that's some F-150-Supercab-with truck-nuts-level machismo. I'll stick with my 5.5 pound nerd guitar, thanks.

I actually got rid of a fretless jazz bass a while back because it was just too goddamn heavy, and that poo poo was only like 9 pounds. 12 pounds is just obscene.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
That is a goddamn gorgeous instrument right there.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Yes some morons believe the heavier the more tone. In reality the original bursts were all average about 8-9 lb with less dense mahogany. It was moving to lower cost mats that made Gibson start raising the weight. Whether you believe lower density, solid mahogany makes a difference is up to you.

gregday
May 23, 2003

I’m weak. Buying another LP with a natural finish that’s about half quilted/half flame top.

Someone should restrict my access to Reverb.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I’ve set off a gas explosion with that r0 / 335 investigation

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
I dont mind the weight of my heavier ones but I don't play standing often so

That little El degas I bought is a tiny body but I think fender scale

Gonna slap new tuners and a bridge on it

Have to drill out the holes for the tuners the hosed up ones on there were 3mm or something all the tuners I have in the pile are 4mm

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I want an ES335 now but I don’t play anything that makes me think it fits my vibe. Mayhaps if I got a leather jacket, some dark sunglasses, a fuzz pedal and lots of spring reverb…. Yea now it fits.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I want an ES335 now but I don’t play anything that makes me think it fits my vibe. Mayhaps if I got a leather jacket, some dark sunglasses, a fuzz pedal and lots of spring reverb…. Yea now it fits.

im not ready to review my 335 yet but I think u can find the 335 in a shitload of genres if you start looking.

ive got my hands on a 2nd hand revv d20 and there was a jhs packrat so i took that too. so maybe I should get a leather jack et who can say

when I do review the 335 my 61 SG RI has identical custom bucker III pickups and pots I think? that might be an interesting comparison

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I'm working on getting two GFS Fat Pat pickups wired up. I'd like to run them in a coil tap with a push-pull pot. I'm going off of this wiring guide. Each pickup has three conductors - red, white, and black - and a bare copper ground. Can I get a quick confirmation if north start = red, north finish + south finish = white, and south start = black?

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I was going to suggest Poison Ivy, but the internet tells me she was all about the Gretsch hollow bodies.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

My tone back brace,

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

MJP posted:

I'm working on getting two GFS Fat Pat pickups wired up. I'd like to run them in a coil tap with a push-pull pot. I'm going off of this wiring guide. Each pickup has three conductors - red, white, and black - and a bare copper ground. Can I get a quick confirmation if north start = red, north finish + south finish = white, and south start = black?

https://www.guitarfetish.com/assets/images/Universal%20Wiring%20Diagram-1.pdf

mewse
May 2, 2006

MJP posted:

Sounds like your pickups are using their "kwikplug" system? They have a diagram for that

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

it's just good ol 3 conductor wiring

but yeah red = hot, black = ground, and white = coil split

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I literally posted the diagram from the manufacturer.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Look at this scrub who actually reads other people's posts before reflexively posting

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
reading posts is for idiots

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

somehow im picking up a Japanese language radio station on my tube amp in the US right now.

this is what happens when I try to gently caress up with tubes

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
it's luring you into lawsuit guitars from the mysterious east

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I know it's low buck but i have an extended history with trying to buy this fuckin guitar (first one showed up split in half by UPS like a hunk of firewood) but i am happy to say that i took delivery of a basically perfect spotless squier paranormal super-sonic yesterday.

It's so cool. and it sounds WAY good.

Very tiny mustangish neck but easy to get going on.

AND ITS PIIIIIINK

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

I know it's low buck but i have an extended history with trying to buy this fuckin guitar (first one showed up split in half by UPS like a hunk of firewood) but i am happy to say that i took delivery of a basically perfect spotless squier paranormal super-sonic yesterday.

AND ITS PIIIIIINK

love it. was very interested in this exact guitar but never found one locally to try first. looks hot as gently caress

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I think with that aesthetic, you (I) want the 330 so you can be William Reid.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I have brain rot and didn't know that existed. Only thing is I have the one push pull pot, but I guess the OG diagram does that.

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

AND ITS PIIIIIINK

Amazing guitar, OP.

"Looks cool, sounds cool, not damaged in shipping" is the dream.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

ethanol posted:

somehow im picking up a Japanese language radio station on my tube amp in the US right now.

NHK has a shortwave radio broadcast on 6105 kHz between 2am and 4am UTC (the timestamp of your post is within that range).

the electric guitar to ham radio pipeline claims another! :pray:

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

the reverse headstock is cool!

the weight of the paranormal guitar?

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Jonny 290 posted:

AND ITS PIIIIIINK

Squiers rule. I might be getting a squier contemporary jazzmaster that's pink.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

It does look cool as hell and my impulse is to just flip string it and play it as a lefty, that shape actually looks very ergonomic for left play... save for the knobs

That said I've always found reverse headstocks to be particularly uncomfortable to tune, especially the low E
Just something about the reach and the tension of that twisting motion is unpleasant

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing

ethanol posted:

i'm jealous, only gear radio i've ever gotten was radio disney on a bargain bin keyboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

That actually might be my new perfect guitar that I need right down to shell pink and the angle on the bridge humbucker. 🤔