Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

BabyFur Denny posted:

Don't worry, this thread wouldn't be half as interesting without the occasional cat-piss story.

This isn't a cat-piss story, though. The DM and group seem to be (relatively) normal folks who are just having a laugh at some scatological humor. Cat Piss stories are like... Mr. Choke The GM To Prove A Point up at the top of the page.

EDIT: Top of the LAST page, dammit. Didn't expect to start a new page there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I dunno, "You want a poop elemental? Fine, some of it gets in your mouth" is kind of catpiss.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Who cares? Everyone was having fun, they all thought it was funny. They weren't doing it in public where other people could be bothered by it. There's nothing "catpiss" here.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
I had a player get weirdly obsessed with the idea of poop elementals for a while. He referred to them as "excrementals" and would bring them up at least once every session, both while playing and while DMing, for like a year. Some people just think the idea is hilarious I guess. :shrug:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Well, I guess everyone has their "First Time Watching Dogma" at some point.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

unimportantguy posted:

I had a player get weirdly obsessed with the idea of poop elementals for a while. He referred to them as "excrementals" and would bring them up at least once every session, both while playing and while DMing, for like a year. Some people just think the idea is hilarious I guess. :shrug:
One man's cat-piss is another man's magical realm.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
We had an intelligent neo-otyugh in the Greyhawk sewers who called himself the Dung Duke. About as lovely as we got, I think.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Yawgmoth posted:

One man's cat-piss is another man's magical realm.

I think it depends on how far down the rabbit hole they go.

"You fight a Crap Elemental, you get some poo poo in your mouth." is dumb poop humor, but ultimately harmless.

Now, had we been treated to paragraph upon paragraph of lovingly detailed scat scenery and failed Charisma saves to resist temptation, then we'd be in :cry: territory.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

CeallaSo posted:

This isn't a cat-piss story, though. The DM and group seem to be (relatively) normal folks who are just having a laugh at some scatological humor. Cat Piss stories are like... Mr. Choke The GM To Prove A Point up at the top of the page.

EDIT: Top of the LAST page, dammit. Didn't expect to start a new page there.

Some people need to start labelling their stories then, because I sure as hell wouldn't have put that in the "Good" category myself.

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress
After a lack of any interesting catpiss in my group, I've finally been blessed with bullshit.

I've been playing in a d20 modern/future game for a while now in a decent sized group over roll20. Currently our plot involves us on some dead end planet fighting a PMC group who've been running a slave trade of psychic kids. Our entire mission is saving these kids, with our main focus of saving the crew's adopted daughter.

One of our players, Joe, constantly gets caught in the middle of sessions booting something on steam, and then chastised for it when he inevitably gets lost not paying attention to the campaign. This happens at least once a session. He's been asked if he'd like to bow out if the game ain't holding his attention, but he just swears it's because he needs something to do with his hands or whatever to keep from dozing off.

Last Tuesday our crew got caught in a shootout. Everyone's slipping into their niche for the battle, with Joe jumping to our starship's mounted weapon. Turns go around, everyone taking shots and trying to keep innocent folk in the crossfire safe.

In the bottom of my screen, Joe's steam pops up as playing Stellaris.

In the middle of the scene, a prisoner transport pops up in the sky, lightly armed, and known to be transporting multiple children - as well as a now-joining new player character. Everyone makes note of the ship and continues the scene.

Joe's turn comes up, and he immediately targets the last thing he heard, which was the prisoner transport. It's destroyed in one hit. The player character almost dies immediately, and fifteen kids are vaporized. After the combat finally clears up, Joe - both in and out of character - doesn't see the big deal, being generally unrepentant and joking "it's just orphans, nobody'll miss em". The crew drags Joe to the brig to be dealt with.

Next day after the game I begin talking with the party and the GM about the uncomfortable subject matter of how to deal with this, as I have absolutely no in character reason to not just execute Joe for what happened, but player on player violence is a mess no matter what in tabletop, and I can feel if this goes down, Joe's player is gonna just throw a bitchfit and quit.

...but then he quit anyway, citing scheduling issues and that our group was "more hardcore" than he wanted. Problem solved itself! Now to just deal with the plot blowback and help our newest character with his newfound PTSD.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Honestly, in that kind of scenario I could absolutely see rolling poo poo back/editing events a bit so that Joe's character is blown out an airlock on the way to the Orphanslayer Cannon™. Why even be in a game if you're not going to pay attention?

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Yeah, If the group hadn't already, I think there should've been an OOC discussion post Joe quitting on if they want keep going or roll back since it had pretty much hosed over one character and left a bad taste in the rest.

But jesus, you'd think he think a bit before immediately going 'I shoot that thing you just mentioned' (I'm assuming this is voice chat over Discord)

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
My attention span is poo poo, so after an hour or two of game I'll check the forums or something that doesn't demand too much focus. It frustrates me because I do want to spend time with my friends, and don't want them to feel like they're boring me.

If we're playing theatre of the mind, I always make a point of asking what's still kicking around, just so that I don't have an incident like Joe's. And if I gently caress up like that, I own it.

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress

Robindaybird posted:

Yeah, If the group hadn't already, I think there should've been an OOC discussion post Joe quitting on if they want keep going or roll back since it had pretty much hosed over one character and left a bad taste in the rest.

But jesus, you'd think he think a bit before immediately going 'I shoot that thing you just mentioned' (I'm assuming this is voice chat over Discord)

Thinking ain't big in his repertoire. He's out of game a loudmouth dickhead who argues with most folks except one of my best friends, the GM, who he met playing Arma or something.

After his exit is complete I'll probably field the suggestion to gently undo that bit of last session.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Today a party member in Blades in the Dark got possessed by a demon because he thought it was a helpful ghost.

Demon: “Hey, drink this mystery liquid so I can possess you.”
Pettimore: “Sounds like a great idea!”

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Tanicus: Shattered Realm - Part 18

Chapter Index - https://tinyurl.com/Tanicus-Index

Google Docs link - https://tinyurl.com/Tanicus-Part-18

X X X X X

Previously on Tanicus - The party almost falls to a fiendish figure while discovering their city has become doppelgangers all the way down...

X X X X X

In the aftermath of the revelation that doppelgangers had infiltrated the Lower Ward as well as the Count’s personal guards, the party discussed what to do with the letter that they had obtained stating that another Korvan spy was going to infiltrate the city of Fallcrest. The discussion centered around who the party could trust to share the contents of the letter with. Everyone was a suspect, and there was a fear that the party would reveal the fact that they knew about a new spy to an existing spy...or maybe even the new spy themself.

quote:

Krowe - ”We need to make a decision. At some point, don’t you have to trust someone?”

Kynwal - ”No.”

Aya - ”No.”

Biff - ”Definitely no.”

Hale - ”Hell no.”

Typhomine - ”I am in agreement with everyone else.”

The party eventually decided to split the proverbial difference - the burned letter and the copy retrieved by Patternweave were given to Captain Ironsky of the Halberds while a copy was also given to Sir Kallus Blackstone, personal bodyguard to Count Kennet Greywinter and a budding friend to Aya.

After the events of the past couple of sessions, the party took the opportunity to go their separate ways for a few weeks to take care of some personal matters before winter comes.

Biff - Biff spent his downtime performing clerical duties at the Temple of Lethik. During that time, he discovered that an unknown party, possibly associated with another temple, is altering healing potions to be harmful to their users. By imbibing one of these healing potions, the drinker became resistant to future healing potions and more likely to become sick. This has led to several prominent adventuring parties breaking up because their members suffered from an unknown illness.

Kynwal - Aside from spending a large amount of time and money scribing scrolls and books, Kynwal made some contacts among the nobility, gaining the ire of a upwardly mobile War Wizard along the way.

Hale - As a gunslinger, bullets. A gently caress ton of bullets. She also studied her new Pepperbox in an attempt to unlock its full potential, discovering that it will take a great deed of some kind to awaken it.

Typhomine - Two little balls of glowing yellow light, and one spoken word. ”Ma-ma?”

Meet Ymoninoa, artificial monkey who can’t stop dancing around music, or tunes, or anyone who whistles. Typhomine also dedicated some time to working on a self-rotating saw blade for his side hobby of creating Tanicus’ first true lumber mill.

Krowe - Krowe rode south to Woodlawn Keep, which he had left under the care of his wife Rune and her adventuring group, the Silverhelm Irregulars. He arrived to find a keep that had been repaired, several new buildings raised up in the courtyard, and a large number of peasants and citizens who had chosen to winter behind its newly-stout walls, all of whom looked up to Rune as their mayor and leader. Krowe spent three weeks getting to know the people in the keep as well as riding with Rune and the Irregulars to map out the surrounding area and prepare for the upcoming winter. He also was informed that a water sprite had taken up shop inside the keep’s well.

Aya - Aya returned to her village, coming back to Fallcrest with a fine horse. She declined to provide any more information about her time away.

X X X X X

The three-day festival of Wintermist serves at the official start of winter for Kaeryn. On the third day, the party received an invitation from Shanna Oakenmaul, a sergeant of arms with the Halberds, to meet with her at the Happy Hydra. A few months ago, during the time where the Aedar (dwarves) were living under a series of increasingly harsh laws, a fellow Halberd and close friend named Belani Alefire had departed the city. She headed south into the deepest parts of the Brandywine Forest in search of an ancestral shrine known as the Shrine of Keldon. Belani is long overdue to return from her journey. Oakenmaul asks the party to search for her friend and let her know that the Aedar laws have been lifted.

quote:

Aya - ”Going through the Brandywine right now will have to be done on foot. The snows will make it too difficult for horses and wagons.”

Typhomine - ”Well, if it gets too difficult I can always use this to help cut down trees and brush. It’s a magical sawblade!”

Krowe - ”Whoa...dude, that’s TOO cool!”

Kynwal - ”Very impressive Typhomine.”

Typhomine - ”Thank you! I hope to use it as part of a larger lumber mill to help turn trees into boards!”

Kynwal - ”Have you considering taking it to the slaughterhouse?”

Typhomine - ”...I’m sorry?”

Kynwal - ”That saw blade would be very efficient in carving up cattle.”

Typhomine - ”My saw blade is not a killing machine.”

Biff - ”Yes it is, and that’s a professional opinion.”

The party left the Happy Hydra and just managed to catch the proprietor of the local Night Runners guild as he was locking up for the night. The Night Runners are a loose coalition of couriers, spies, and scouts who are among the foremost cartographers on Tanicus. Laszlo, the proprietor, was unable to provide a more specific map than what the party already had, but he agreed to send a Message forward to a resident of the woods, a member of the local Saorisidh tribe, to meet us at a certain place along the Brandywine River where a tree had been molded to grow into an arrow pointing towards a stump in the distance.

The next morning, the party, provisions in hand, set out on foot through the forest. The first two days passed uneventfully as the party kept the river in sight. The trees kept the worst of the snow from the ground, aiding the party’s passage. On the third day, the party crossed paths with a Forest Drake, managing to drive it off before it could do more than impede their progress.

The next day passed uneventfully until late in the afternoon when the party came upon a tall structure, a combination of a tower and an archway, being tended to by half-a-dozen monodrones. The party set up camp on the other side of the magical yellow-and-black tape that the monodrones had laid out around the structure and watched as the monodrones brought in lumber from the surrounding woods to support the ice.

As the party began their long rest, Typhomine talked to the monodrones in an attempt to figure out what they were doing. It turned out that the monodrones were continuing the task that the monodrones the party had met during the campaign’s very first session in sealing the variety of rifts and tears that dotted Tanicus since the Third Incursion of Kaos.

quote:

Krowe - ”So there’s still a whole bunch of these interdimensional rifts you guys have to close up?”

One-of-Six - ”Clarification - rifts are interplanar.”

Krowe - ”Interplanar?”

Typhomine - ”Yes. For example, that githyanki gentleman we met during the encounter with the Flesh Golem hailed from the Ethereal Plane. And we recently travelled to the Elemental Plane of Earth through a rift, although that rift appeared to be man made as opposed to these rifts which occured due to magical energies being thrown around in large amounts.”

One-of-Six - ”Statement is correct. Rifts are interplanar only. They do not allow for travel between planetary collection known to locals as ‘Tanicus’ and other collections.”

Krowe - ”Wait...there’s more than one planetary collection?”

And that’s how Krowe got introduced to spelljamming.

quote:

Krowe - ”Whoa...this is heavy.”

Typhomine - ”When our adventures are over, I am building a means of conveyance to reach these other planetary collections.”

Krowe - ”Wait...OK, there are other planets, right? I get that. But a few months ago we found those bodies of the people who were like us, but not like us. Could they have come through one of these rifts?”

One-of-Six - ”Statement - unlikely. Alternate timelines for planetary collection known as ‘Tanicus’ exist. Individuals arriving to a timeline where they already exist will expire in a manner best described as ‘horrible.’”

Krowe - ”So...there’s like more of me out there?”

Aya - ”That is a horrifying thought.”

Krowe - ”Which means...technically, one Krowe could sleep with another Krowe…”

Hale - ”Yeah, but one of them’s going to be dead, so that other one is going to have to be into necrophilia.”

Krowe - ”Let’s be honest, somewhere out there in the multiverse is Krowe who likes to crack open a cold one…”

Biff - ”I’m throwing the healer card and declaring this conversation OVER!”

X X X X X

Pushing on, the party would come across a piece of red fabric caught in a tree branch, stained with a cheaply produced dye produced for town guards - a sure sign they were on the right path in tracking Belani Alefire. They also found a hollow log that a goblin had used for shelter from a nasty snow squall. The shelter failed to keep him alive, but it preserved the corpse well enough for the party to notice that it was different from most goblins via its patchwork of red and green skin. The party also discovered a set of strange footprints, with an odd number of toes and a possible dewclaw, that simply up and vanish in the middle of a clearing tinged with divination and transmutation magic.

That day, the party came across the molded tree and headed one hundred steps in the direction it pointed, coming to a large stump. Only Kynwal’s familiar, a sharp-eyed eagle, saw the five figures before they dropped from the trees. They approached the party, weapons sheathed but kept close. As they closed in, the party recognized them as a group of Saorisidh, elves who had lived underground for centuries before returning to the surface after the Third Incursion of Chaos. They were shorter than standard elves, with pale blue skin and hair to match, save for their leader, Gyllion Moonwind, whose blue hair was slowly turning pink. After exchanging greetings, Gyllion motioned for the other scouts to keep a lookout as he provided the party with crucial information.

- An Aedar (who the party assumed to be Belani Alefire) had passed through the area during the past few months. She was heading towards an area known as the Summer Grove, a patch of forest near the mountains to the south where the ground is warm all year long, keeping the grass green and the snows melted.

- The area that the Aedar passed through has become the hunting grounds for a strange beast since that time. The Saorisidh haven’t been able to get a good look at it. They only know that it causes the ground to rumble as it approaches and vanishes in a cloud of snow.

- The Aedar passed by, and possibly through, the portion of the forest inhabited by a tribe known as the Forest Folk. The party was told that they would know when they were passing by their land, and if they wanted to talk to the Forest Folk to wait until the Forest Folk wanted to talk to them.

- When told about the strange goblin in the tree, Gillion explained that it was a member of the Bloodstone Tribe, a group of goblins whose skin had changed over the years to become harder and more resilient.

- The party was warned that the Snow Spiders have begun hunting and to keep an eye out for their web-covered trees.

After taking their leave of Gillion and his team, the party continued to push south. Before setting in for the evening, the party would pass beneath a ridge of strange but non-lethal roots and stride through a field of strange plants with red bulbs. The bulbs shot needles when Aya and Typhomine got too close, stinging both of them and leaving behind itchy red welts that grew in color, size, and intensity over time.

quote:

Aya - ”Krowe! Come pee on this welt!”

Krowe - ”OK, when is this party going to learn not every problem can be solved by me peeing on it!”

Kynwal - ”You peeing off the side of a floating island did allow us to meet that air djinn.”

During the sixth day of travel, the party began to hear a series of random clacking sounds. Following the noise brought them to a large tree with a series of chimes made out of twine and bone. Six nooses hung from the tree as well. Aya, in her infinite wisdom and curiosity, pulled on one of the nooses. It immediately wrapped around her arm as it turned out to be a snare. This was the signal for the Bloodstone Goblins to emerge from the snow and attack.

The goblins fell just like normal ones, but hitting them with weapons made a sound akin to ”breaking open a ceramic jar of jam.” Despite their best efforts, the leader managed to dive into the snow and make his escape.

After a short rest using Rope Trick, the party would come across a strange totem. It was an old tree, perhaps older than the Brandywine Forest, with a wooden mallet hanging from one of its branches. All around its trunk, a number of coins had been pounded into the wood. They varied in value (copper all the way to electrum) and age (a few appeared to be from civilizations that predated recorded history). The party assumed that the totem belonged to the Forest Folk. Each member produced a coin and used the hammer to pound it into the totem. Even the mechanical monkey Ymoninoa got in on the action, although he didn’t need the hammer to push his copper piece in.

The party sat down to enjoy a quiet lunch (dare I say, since it was six days into a forest journey during winter, it was a “cold and cheerless” one?). Midway through, Biff noticed that a figure was standing next to the totem - a tall humanoid with green eyes and orange skin, although the color itself was just a little bit “off.” It pointed at the piece of bread that Typhomine was holding and asked ”why did you to that to grain?” It then pointed to the cheese Hale was holding and said ”that milk has gone wrong.” Typhomine explained that both the bread and cheese were easier to carry on long journeys, but his attempt to use Produce Flame to toast the bread saw the woman immediately wave her hand and somehow snuffing out the flame. ”Fire is problematic.”

By this point several other figures had surrounded the party, appearing from thin air between the trees. The humanoid turned into one of them as well, becoming covered in fur in the process. She took a look at Ymoninoa and turned to Typhomine.

quote:

??? - ”Why did you do that to that animal?”

Typhomine - ”Oh, I didn’t do anything to an animal. I created him. He is an artificial creature.”

??? - ”...come with us.”

The party was escorted by the furry humanoids, who identified themselves as the Forest Folk, to an empty clearing. As the party stepped into the clearing however, a small settlement appeared consisting of several huts and a number of the Forest Folk. The children of the tribe hid from the newcomers as they were led to the central hut, home of ”the Oldest Born on the Summer Solstice.”

The hut was too small to sit everyone. Krowe, Aya, and Biff stood outside as Hale, Typhomine, and Kynwal crowded inside. An older looking Forest Folk looked up at Typhomine, studying the dragonborn for a few moments before extending his hands towards him. ”Are you responsible for this?”

In its hands was a sparrow, chirping happily as the Forest Folk held him. One wing, part of its breast, and one leg were covered with metal plates and clockwork gears, immediately reminding the party of the modrons’ attempts to “fix” hurt creatures back in the campaign’s early sessions. There was also a piece of parchment wrapped around the creature's clockwork leg.

quote:

Typhomine - ”Oh no. We are familiar with such creatures, but we are not responsible for their creation. There are a group of creatures out there called modrons who were attempting to fix wounded creatures, but since modrons are creatures of metal and gears, their attempts were more along the lines of repairing than healing.”

Oldest Born on the Summer Solstice - ”This is unnatural.”

Hale - ”Oh, believe me we know. If you’d like, Typhomine and I have experience with not only these creatures but gears and clockwork. We could try to remove it, if you’d like.”

Hale and Typhomine carefully begin to remove the metal pieces from the sparrow, using a mix of their tinkering skills and Typhomine’s minor healing magics. Eventually the sparrow is returned to as close to normal as possible. A metal breastplate supports its wing, and one leg remains entirely clockwork. The sparrow flies into the air and out of the hut with the greatest of ease, leaving Hale with the parchment that had been wrapped around its leg. Two dwarven runes had been drawn on the parchment - the rune for “dark” and the rune for “fire.” After a moment, Hale stated that the rune for “dark” didn’t mean “darkness” so much as it meant “bad.”

quote:

Oldest Born on the Summer Solstice - ”The Aedar said she was heading for the Summer Grove. We warned her that in the past seasons the grove had become tainted. An invasive fungus has overgrown the land. Sarkona, the Druid who oversaw the grove, tried to combat it, only to find himself becoming its tender as he fell to its infection.”

Kynwal - ”It makes sense. The shrine that Belani is looking for is underneath the Summer Grove. That’s why it’s warm year-round. The Forge, or maybe now this dark fire, is heating the ground.”

Biff - ”Warm ground and melting snow? Yeah, fungus would thrive in those conditions.”

Oldest Born on the Summer Solstice - ”The one you seek is not the only stranger to these lands. A pair of them have been seen heading into the mountains. One is an older Druid while the other is a red-haired man. *points to Aya* You remind of this man, with your bearing and your tattoos. Although you are not a werewolf like him.”

Aya - ”...the Druid who was with the Red Wolf, the one who got away. Perhaps this werewolf she travels with is the Alpha, the one who infected the Red Wolf in the first place?”

Oldest Born on the Summer Solstice - ”I do not know of this Red Wolf, but the werewolf carried themselves like an Alpha of a pack. Speaking of infection, you and your broken dragon friend have been bitten by snow needles.”

Oldest Born on the Summer Solstice pointed to the rashes and welts that surrounded the place where the needles from the strange plants had pricked the pair. He produced some leaves and, after chewing them to soften them up, fashion a poultice for them.

quote:

Oldest Born on the Summer Solstice - ”This shall assist with the swelling and the itching.”

Krowe - ”If I may...might I ask you a question relating to the snow needles?”

Oldest Born on the Summer Solstice - ”Yes.”

Krowe - ”Would peeing on the rash have helped?”

Biff - ”Oh my God and several others.”

Oldest Born on the Summer Solstice - “...no. No, it wouldn’t have helped. You should never urinate on an open wound of any sort, even one as small as a snow needle’s.”

Krowe - ”Hah! See? See? I TOLD you peeing on it wouldn’t work!”

X X X X X

A large rumbling sound came from the west as the party continued south. Snow was being shaken from the trees as the party quickly went into hiding, including Typhomine pulling out his magic barrel and jumping inside. Because, you know, a lone barrel in the middle of the forest wouldn’t be suspicious at all. As the party waited, weapons drawn, it turned out that the rumbling noise was a large herd of deer. The deer barrelled (pun slightly intended) past the party’s hiding places, followed a few seconds later by…

...a red fox.

The fox looked curiously at Aya before bounding into the bushes, out of sight.

X X X X X

quote:

Kynwal - ”I don’t want to walk on any sort of frozen lake without knowing how deep it is.”

Typhomine - ”Oh! That’s fine, I have a breathing helmet!”

A tree of ice-covered willow branches stood in the middle of the lake. The fronds had dipped down and become frozen into the lake’s surface, forming a kind of igloo comprised of ice and wood. The tree caught the attention of both Aya and Typhomine. As the rest of the party waited onshore, ready to rush in and save them if needed, they approached the tree, which had an opening on one side of its trunk. They walked inside...only to find themselves walking right back out.

They tried again...only to find themselves walking right back out.

One more time, and as the same result happened, Kynwal stepped onto the ice, closing in on the tree. He raised a hand and called out ”hello,” which was when Aya attacked him. Kynwal barely managed to get his Shield spell up to ward off the blow, however as he did so several roots shot from the ground and dragged him through the ice into the frigid waters of the lake. He managed to free himself and with Krowe’s help was pulled back to the surface, dripping wet and royally pissed off.

After Biff casts Dispel Magic to break the Charm effect on Aya, a voice spoke inside Typhomine’s head, which he then translated for us, demanding that we leave the lake and never return. The party quickly retreated back to the shore, with Kynwal attempting to “apologize” by stating that the tree had “fired” first. The voice through Typhomine responded by ordering the party to depart beyond the treeline, out of sight of the lake, and that “through this one, I will know if you have followed by request.”

What followed next was a rapid chain of events.

Biff cast Dispel Magic to remove the Charm effect on Typhomine.

Kynwal turned and cast Fireball centered on the tree, causing the ice to melt and branches to shatter.

A wooden figure appeared on top of the tree, followed immediately by a rapidly approaching rumble.

And after a few moments, it was apparent that someone walked with rhythm.

X X X X X

And once again, the deadly and cuddly Purrasque made its presence felt…

CobiWann fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Nov 28, 2018

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

HebrewMagic posted:

...but then he quit anyway, citing scheduling issues and that our group was "more hardcore" than he wanted. Problem solved itself! Now to just deal with the plot blowback and help our newest character with his newfound PTSD.

A little fault lies with the GM on this one not stepping in and making clear the guy with a history of not paying attention knew what he was doing and then optionally telling him that actually no, he was not going to torpedo the scenario.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Hooray, more Tanicus updates! I’m always impressed by how much content you guys get through in a sitting - how long are your sessions, typically?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

That Purrasque gives me an idea for my own game.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Podima posted:

Hooray, more Tanicus updates! I’m always impressed by how much content you guys get through in a sitting - how long are your sessions, typically?

We usually play for 5-6 hours during the school year and 6-7 hours in the summer.

That last recap covered one-and-a-half sessions, and next week's will cover a-half-and-one sessions. I've been slacking a little bit because of getting sucked back into Lord of the Rings Online and fulfilling my stepdaughter's request for a Predator vs. Jason fanfic.

Bag of Hamsters
Jul 12, 2006

Gimme yer frickin pancreas

I needs it for reasons.
I legit don't know if this is good or bad because it was an ending appropriate to my character or because I destroyed the boss fight.

We're playing 4eD&D (7th level currently) and our current job is recovering a captured fishery from crabmen. Turns out an evil god of the deep wasn't fond of the fishery's success and had its minions murder everyone in there and cook them like seafood. We'd been there days, slowly going through building after building, fighting crabmen and demons. Our wizard almost died to malaria.

I play Emi'li, a half-elf wild-sorc-turned-magical-girl, whose parents sold her soul to an Elder Thing. Problem: Emi'li is relentlessly, horribly lawful good and fights for Love and Friendship despite being accompanied by an eldritch horror (she calls it Kitty) that eats corpses. All of her magic makes people hear whispers of impending doom and the visual effects have too many tentacles and teeth. And glitter. Lots of glitter. She's not a very bright kid but she's really friendly.

We've spent most of our dailies in the previous fight.The rogue nearly died. We enter the final room where a massive chuul with an ioun stone has killed the fishery owner and is summoning an army of crabmen with the aid of several demons. This will be a slog.

Me: I roll to see what the chuul wants. 20.
GM: The chuul wants vengeance and the end to fishing in the bay. He's also dumber than Emi'li.
Me: gently caress it. Anyone mind if I negotiate?
I roll. Another loving 20. But these are evil beings - they won't really listen to her. Fine then.

While Emi'li is giving a passionate speech about working together despite our differences and that summoning an army would lead to mutual destruction, the outline of her magical patron is growing behind her, filling the room with shivering, purple light and holes in reality. Emi'li sincerely wants the chuul and the crabmen to be happy! As does the massive multi-eyed woman made of stars who knows how even demons can truly die. At the end, Kitty coughs up a skull.

GM: The chuul shuts down the portal and agrees to peace talks - only to be flash-fried by its evil god for the betrayal.

Emi'li makes the new fishery owners bury the chuul and give it a nice memorial.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Bag of Hamsters posted:

I legit don't know if this is good or bad because it was an ending appropriate to my character or because I destroyed the boss fight.

We're playing 4eD&D (7th level currently) and our current job is recovering a captured fishery from crabmen. Turns out an evil god of the deep wasn't fond of the fishery's success and had its minions murder everyone in there and cook them like seafood. We'd been there days, slowly going through building after building, fighting crabmen and demons. Our wizard almost died to malaria.

I play Emi'li, a half-elf wild-sorc-turned-magical-girl, whose parents sold her soul to an Elder Thing. Problem: Emi'li is relentlessly, horribly lawful good and fights for Love and Friendship despite being accompanied by an eldritch horror (she calls it Kitty) that eats corpses. All of her magic makes people hear whispers of impending doom and the visual effects have too many tentacles and teeth. And glitter. Lots of glitter. She's not a very bright kid but she's really friendly.

We've spent most of our dailies in the previous fight.The rogue nearly died. We enter the final room where a massive chuul with an ioun stone has killed the fishery owner and is summoning an army of crabmen with the aid of several demons. This will be a slog.

Me: I roll to see what the chuul wants. 20.
GM: The chuul wants vengeance and the end to fishing in the bay. He's also dumber than Emi'li.
Me: gently caress it. Anyone mind if I negotiate?
I roll. Another loving 20. But these are evil beings - they won't really listen to her. Fine then.

While Emi'li is giving a passionate speech about working together despite our differences and that summoning an army would lead to mutual destruction, the outline of her magical patron is growing behind her, filling the room with shivering, purple light and holes in reality. Emi'li sincerely wants the chuul and the crabmen to be happy! As does the massive multi-eyed woman made of stars who knows how even demons can truly die. At the end, Kitty coughs up a skull.

GM: The chuul shuts down the portal and agrees to peace talks - only to be flash-fried by its evil god for the betrayal.

Emi'li makes the new fishery owners bury the chuul and give it a nice memorial.

It sounds like an awesome and fun result therefore it is good

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Sailor Stars Are Right sounds like a :krad: concept and that story seems like it was fun, so I also am voting "good" here.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I'll also vote "Good."

Too bad the chuul can't come back for revenge against its patron...imagine an undead Warlock who switched patrons.

Bag of Hamsters
Jul 12, 2006

Gimme yer frickin pancreas

I needs it for reasons.

CobiWann posted:

I'll also vote "Good."

Too bad the chuul can't come back for revenge against its patron...imagine an undead Warlock who switched patrons.

I would LOVE that. Emi'li has the weirdest set of contacts since she tries to befriend everyone (except beings that attack the party) and more than a few ex-villains have become allies.

Our group has played together for years and we rotate GM duties based on which system we're playing. I wind up as the face a lot since everyone else prefers stealth or combat monsters so trying to talk my way out of poo poo isn't uncommon - this was just such a Sailor loving Moon way for this adventure to go.

Elbow Droppin' for Gaia

I run souped-up oWoD Werewolf for them which mostly involves inventing ridiculous plot hooks, coming up with horrifying Wyrm things to fight, and watching the carnage. Let me tell you about Shirlene. Shirlene (Dances-with-Reeds) is our Homid Child of Gaia Galliard. Born to Florida swamp people, her clan of cousins is run by Gramma Trixie, an Elder Theurge who wrote her own version of the Bible As According to Garou.

Shirlene's player, Vash, decided to actually write some of this. An excerpt from Genesis:
"Now the earth was formless and empty, and plenty dark, as I said before, except for the spirit of the Almighty who was hovering inside and around it. It was God that was both man and
woman (that's another thing the humans get wrong, which doesn't make no sense to me because God made us in her image, and I don't see no reason why he would do half the job) but anyways,
it was God who said, let there be light, and the light of creation was born. That light of creation was the Wyld, which God called day, or sunshine, or a great burning ball of gas that just kept
sweeping on over things until even God was seeing stars in her own eyes and he said, "Something must be done about this or it's just going to be too blasted hot."

Shirlene loves pro wrestling, brings her banjo to every moot, and got a jar of hot sauce Dedicated so she could bring it into the Umbra on their latest adventure. They were tracking down the corpse of a Celestine and wound up in a Spirit Realm of Air. They encounter some wolf spirits who tell them to make sure to get out of the way of storms - the Lord of the Hunt likes to cut through this realm. Sure enough, after a few "days," they see lightning clouds and hear a horn sounding on the horizon.

Shirlene: I ain't had a bath since we got here. I get out my washin' cloth and set up for the shower.
Me: There's no real dirt in the Umbra. You can hear the faint howls of giant wolves mixed in with the crash of thunder. Perhaps you should find shelter.
Shirlene: Don't matter none. Ain't right to not bathe. We're close to the eyes of Jesus here!
Me: You know this bath is suicide, right?
Shirlene: At least I'll die clean.

Okay.

The rest of the party decides to make the best of it and waits to pay honor to the Lord of the Hunt who, on reaching the party of Rank 2 Garou, should just stomp all over them but I make him stop. Everyone rolls and RPs to recount their greatest deed. Shirlene crit botches. So she tells the loving Lord of the Hunt how - as a child beauty pageant queen - her dress had more rhinestones on it than anyone else. While scrubbing her armpits in his rainstorm.

Me: The Lord of the Hunt, unimpressed, seethes with lightning. The clouds around you go dark and cold. The rain turns to hail. He hands down one word in judgement: "FRIVOLOUS," and prepares to strike.
Me: Vash, make a last ditch Performance roll to convince the Lord of the Hunt not to smite the poo poo out of you.

She rolls...and gets seven successes (five in Werewolf is considered outstanding).

Shirlene proceeds to chew out the Lord of the Hunt about how beauty pageants are more cutthroat than any fight she's ever been in - the primal process of natural selection enmeshed behind the trappings of man - and each rhinestone is a drop of blood shed, every sequin a tear wept, by the losers.

The Lord of the Hunt is so impressed with her ability to find such savage battle even before she first Changed that he pressgangs the whole pack for the night and they wake up two days later with combat hangovers and vague impressions of fighting powerful Wyrm dragons.

Shirlene still thinks the fancy dress was more awesome.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Bag of Hamsters posted:

She rolls...and gets seven successes (five in Werewolf is considered outstanding).

Shirlene proceeds to chew out the Lord of the Hunt about how beauty pageants are more cutthroat than any fight she's ever been in - the primal process of natural selection enmeshed behind the trappings of man - and each rhinestone is a drop of blood shed, every sequin a tear wept, by the losers.

Please tell this player I applaud them. That is absolutely brilliant.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Tanicus: Shattered Realm - Part 19

Chapter Index - https://tinyurl.com/Tanicus-Index

Google Docs link - https://tinyurl.com/Tanicus-Part-19

X X X X X

Previous on Tanicus - After some downtime for personal matters, the Sword of Fallcrest head south into the Brandywine Forest to discover the fate of a dwarven city guard searching for an ancestral shrine…

X X X X X

The party sprung into action as the worm turned its bulk towards them. Kynwal struck first, buying time for the party by weakening the creature with a Ray of Enfeeblement. It allowed the party to spread out around the creature and for Krowe to down a Potion of Cold Resistance.

The worm’s hide was tough to break through. It managed to freeze a good portion of the party with its cold-based breath weapon before whipping around and grabbing Kynwal in its maw. It swallowed the War Wizard whole just before Krowe landed a massive hit on the creature and Biff cast Inflict Wounds to remove the remaining hit point and bring the worm down for good.

Upon carving Kynwal out of the worm’s belly, the party quickly retreated out of sight of the wood nymph and her tree. After travelling over two hills and one dale, the party stopped to catch its breath…

quote:

Hale - ”I immediately punch Kynwal in the balls.”

Cue fifteen minutes of arguing - Hale and Biff accusing Kynwal of overreaction, Kynwal standing his ground that he was defending a Charmed party member, and Krowe coming off as if the rest of the party were his servants in trying to calm everyone down. Eventually, the party set camp for the evening, with Kynwal casting Leomund’s Tiny Hut and Krowe storming off into the woods to chop firewood to blow off steam.

quote:

Biff - ”Should someone tell him it’s always warm inside the hut and we don’t need a fire?”

Aya - ”No, it is best he spend some time to himself.”

It was at this point that Hale slipped away as well, but doing so quietly so no one else would hear or see her leave.
Hale hiked away from the camp, muttering and cursing about the group she had become associated with. At one point, she leaned against a tree to take a breather, pondering her options once the party return to Fallcrest…

quote:

??? - ”Enjoying your walk?”

Having stepped out from the trees, what could only be described as a gigantic mecha-emu loomed over Hale. Climbing down from the mecha-emu was a tall Aedar (dwarf) with dark hair and eyes, with neat braids in his hair and his beard. His clothing was covered in soot and the smell of ash and molten steel overcame the frigid forest air. It took Hale a moment to realize just who this Aedar was.

He was the deity she worshipped - Moradin, inheritor of the dead god Fergus’ mantle as god of the forge and the primary deity for the stout folk. Hale spent the next few minutes trying to come to grips with the fact that she was talking to her god while Moradin spent the next few minutes explaining why it was essential that Hale remain with the group. Not only had the druid grove above the Forge of Keldon become corrupted by invasive fungus, but the Forge itself had become tainted by a demonic figure named Shevonis. They were the “dark/bad fire” that Belani Alefire had mentioned in her note during the previous session, and his presence was desecrating the ancestral shrine.

quote:

Moradin - ”I need one of your bullets, one of the handful that your wizard friend imbued with fire. Hmm. Solid work. Good craftsmanship. A little bit of divine blessing...there. When you get to the Forge of Keldon, use that bullet to properly cleanse and relight the Forge. Camp’s back that way, off you go!”

Hale - ”Wait! Can’t you tell me more about this Shevonis.”

Moradin - ”No can do. There are limits to how much we can influence mortal affairs. Results of that unpleasantness about 150 years ago. Camp’s back that way, off you go!”

Hale - ”Nothing at all?”

Moradin - ”Well...how about a warning? This winter’s gonna be harsh, the nastiest and coldest in centuries. Camp’s back that way, off you go!”

Hale - ”Ugh! I’m so frustrated, I just...I just want to hit something. Tell me something, anything!”

Moradin - ”Sorry. Have faith. You and yours will figure it out. Camp’s back that way, off you go!”

Typhomine had left the camp in search of Hale at this point, and met his friend halfway on her journey back. Upon returning to the hut, Kynwal and Hale temporarily work out their differences. It’s at this time time that Krowe comes back to the hut and dumps a load of firewood in the middle.

quote:

Hale - ”Krowe! I almost punched a god!”

Krowe - ”You and Kynwal settle your issues on your own time. I’ll take second watch. Krowe goes to sleep in a corner.”

Kynwal - ”It’s a dome. There aren’t any corners.”

DM - ”There is a little bit of a corner where the dome meets the ground…”

Krowe - ”Yeah! Yeah there is. Right there, that’s where Krowe’s sleeping.”

Biff - ”Only Krowe, with Intelligence 8, could find a corner in a round structure.”

X X X X X

The evening passed quietly, save for a herd of snow spiders passing by the hut during Biff and Krowe’s watch as it turns out the camp was set up on a snow spider trail. By the afternoon of the next day, the party finally reached the Summer Grove.

The trees and plants were still visible under a thin layer of fungus, however the layer became thicker as the party journeyed deeper into the grove. Tending to the grove were a herd of what at first appeared to be mycanoids. The walking mushrooms didn’t attempt to impede the party, but as the party passed them they would release a cloud of spores that seemed to alert the next set of mushrooms that there were new visitors to the grove. Biff risked getting a closer look at one of them. He discovered that the creatures weren’t mycanoids, but instead rotting humanoids corpses who looked to be puppeted by the fungus.

After half-a-hour the party arrived at the center of the grove, where a small stone building stood. Tall mushrooms and patches of toadstools surrounded the structure, along with several more of the walking fungal dead. In front of the structure, waiting for the party, was a creature that...one could have mistaken it for a centaur if not for the fungus covering its body and stretched out, bent, mutated limbs. It held a staff in one hand. On top of the staff was a humanoid heart that had become a large, red, pulsating fungal mass.

The creature next to it was a large crab-like creature, holding two knives. Do I really need to say anything else?

The former druid introduced itself as ”Sarkona, Harbinger of Kuprataius, the Burning Brand.” After failed attempts to parlay, discover who Kuprataius was, and find out more about Shevonis, Sarkona’s heart became covered with a hard fungal shell and tentacles erupted from the nearby mushrooms.

Biff’s Spirit Guardians - think the emblem from the 1984 movie Ghostbusters as a swirling whirlwind of ghosts - managed to kill the crab like creature. Sarkona’s disease-ridden attacks with his staff saw Hale attempt to shoot his heart off the staff, only for the bullet to deflect into the far distance. Where the bullet landed, a patch of poisonous fungus immediately bloomed, putting an end to that plan. Aya suffered the most from Sarkona’s disease as she rolled very poorly during the entire encounter.

Eventually the party managed to kill Sarkona, who in his death throes called out for Kuprataius before expiring. Typhomine bent down to grab the now-exposed heart from the top of the staff to study it...and managed to shove it into the Bag of Holding before it could take over his mind and body.

As the party recovered, Aya and Krowe advanced on the shrine. On all four sides stood a locked door. Aya and Krowe put their shoulders to one of the doors, but after their first failed attempt, the sound of flapping wings caught everyone’s attention.

Landing on the roof of the building was a red dragon.

The dragon peered at the party, specifically Typhomine. Its wings and scales were covered with a thick patchwork of fungus, and instead of flying over the party it instead slithered over the roof of the structure, twisting and rolling as it introduced itself. ”I am Kuprataius, the Burning Brand. Give me the heart. I want it to restore myself and properly unite us.” Typhomine’s knowledge of Draconic told him that Kuprataius was using the “royal ‘us’” in describing his desire for the heart. Once again, an attempt to parlay and discuss the situation ended with Kuprataius calling Typhomine “weak blooded,” which led to initiative.

The fungus surrounding Kuprataius limited his ability to fly, but allowed him to slither over the structure and ground with incredible speed. When he breathed, instead of a cone of flame a large cloud of burning embers, smoking with green flame, caused those caught in its path to become sick and weak, giving them disadvantage on Strength checks as well as limiting the amount of physical damage they could do. It paralyzed Aya as well, taking her out for almost the entire encounter.

Kynwal landing a Slow spell bought the party some time, but as Kuprataius tried to shake of the spell’s effects, the fungus proceeded to cover his entire face, including his eyes, as the invasive growths took him over completely. This time is was Krowe who landed a pair of critical hits to slay the red dragon.

quote:

Krowe - ”Hah! How about that! I’m a Dragonhall, and I killed a dragon! IN YOUR FACE DAD!”

Kynwal - ”Don’t become too pleased. He’ll find a way to claim it doesn’t count.”

Over the course of a short rest Typhomine did his best to carve some scales from the corpse of the red dragon, but the fungus caused the corpse to decay much faster than normal. Once rejuvenated, it was back to attempting to open up the shrine. Krowe used his shoulder to try to force the door open, while on an adjacent side Hale attempted to use her tinkerer’s tools to pick the lock.

quote:

Hale - ”...natural 1”

DM - ”You managed to remove the keyhole without opening the door.”

Hale doubles down and tries again just as Krowe dips his shoulder and slams into the door. Both of them succeed, with Hale silently pushing her door open while Krowe stumbled inside the building.

Surrounding a statue of a dwarven smith were several short and stout creatures with fiery warhammers and wreaths of flame surrounding their faces. Behind them was a taller figure wearing black enamel armor standing over a hatch in the ground. After looking at the party, the figure dropped a pouch of some kind next to the hatch before engaging the party.

Bad news - sometimes the fiery creatures (who Kynwal would identify as azer) exploded when they died. Worse news - Hale’s guns kept jamming during the fight. After defeating the creatures, Hale had to put up with some light-hearted teasing from the party.

quote:

Krowe - ”You know, swords never jam.”

Hale - ”I will shoot you.”

Krowe - ”So? Your gun’s just going to jam anyway.”

Aya - ”Oh, if I do not get to kill something soon I will become VERY violent!”

The pouch that the enalmed figure (which was discovered to be a fire gnossi) held four gems that appeared to have been crudely pulled from the metal band that adorned the statue’s forehead. Four small inlays were set into the hatch on the ground as well. Based upon her knowledge of dwarven lore, Hale determined that the gems represented the four primal elements, and each inlay was related to how the dwarves viewed the elements - fire below, earth above, water to the west, air to the east. That combination of gems opened the hatch, revealing a staircase downwards that Kynwal’s Locate Object confirmed was where Belani Alefire was currently being held.

At the bottom of the steps was a large door of hammered bronze, with a dwarven face stylized in the manner of a sun. Aya and Krowe tried to push it open, only to discover that it had been freshly welded shut. From the inside. A little more effort from the pair saw the door burst open, revealing a circular room with a large anvil on the inside. Against the far wall, an Aedar and a human lay unconscious on the floor, bound hand and foot and burned on their exposed skin.

Krowe took a step inside the room to help them. As he did so the room erupted with intense light and heat. The anvil had become surrounded by an orange flame, but inside of the flame was a deep blackness that slowly took on the form of long arms and a sneering face.

quote:

??? - ”I am Shevonis. Who are you to come here?”

Krowe - ”I’m Krowe Dragonhall. I’d like to say it’s good to meet you, but actually it’s more of an inconvenience...”

DM - ”And on that, roll initiative.”

Biff - ”Well, at least we’re not wasting time trying to parlay!”

Three problems...

1 - Doing melee damage to Shevonis caused it to retaliate with fire damage.
2 - Failing a saving throw against that fire damage would set the attacker on fire.
3 - Shevonis was immune to normal weapons and resistant to magical ones.

Krowe was brought down to one hit point after barely scratching Shevonis, causing him to use his Action Surge to stop, drop, and roll to avoid falling unconscious. The rest of the party whittled away at Shevonis until Biff had managed to heal everyone to the point of safety. He called on Lethik via Channel Divinity to affect Shevonis with Path to the Grave. The next hit that landed on Shevonis, it would have vulnerability to that attack.

Cue Aya, who not only was raging but at the moment was also on fire. Literally. She called her shot and slammed her magical two-handed sword into the creature’s heart.

Critical hit.

And nearly max damage on her damage roll.

In one solid blow Shevonis dissipated into nothing, leaving the room in pitch darkness save for a little tiny glowing gem that bounced off the floor. Hale stepped to the anvil, placed the bullet blessed by Moradin on its surface, and broke it open with the blacksmith’s hammer. Immediately the flame reignited, restoring the Forge of Keldon and filling the room with a comforting warmth as well as the ancient strength of the Forge itself, which manifested in the form of a blessing laid upon the members of the party.

Minor healing magics were enough to rouse the Aedar and human from their unconscious state. The Aedar was indeed Belani Alefire, while the human, wearing the colors of an Enchantress of the Cabal, introduced herself as Sabine Tallmorning. She had come across Belani while travelling through the forest in search of rare spell components. When informed of Belani’s quest to find her family’s ancestral shrine, she became intrigued enough to accompany Belani, only to become captured by Shevonis. Sabine identified Shevonis as a Fiendfire elemental, one whose time on the borders between the Plane of Elemental Fire and the Abyss infected it with demonic energies.

While Typhomine identified the fiery gem as a spell component that could be used to increase the power of a fire-based spell (which was immediately handed over to Kynwal), the party and the two former captives briefly debated how to best return to Fallcrest. In light of Moradin’s warning of a harsh winter, the sooner the party was out of the Brandywine Forest the better, especially as Sabine’s spellbook had been burnt to ash and all she had were the Enchantment spells she had memorized, plus both were suffering from exhaustion due to dehydration and their burns.

At this point, Belani pointed out that the shrine was empowered to allow long rests to only take four hours in order to allow the blacksmiths to work longer if needed. It was decided to take a long rest and leave for Fallcrest the next day. Belani offered the party the chance to take some gold and gems from the ancestral chest against the far wall. ”It’s fair payment, and I’m going to be insulted if you don’t take anything.” The party took about half the coin that was inside the chest, as well as an item that was of great interest to Krowe.

Biff would take the opportunity to bring the Fire Gnossi’s body into the shrine to interrogate it using Speak With Dead.

”What is your name?” “You cannot pronounce it.”
“Where are you from” “The City of Brass.”
“Why were you trying to break into this shrine?” “Power.”
“What do you know about Shevonis?” “We know nothing.”
“What is your relation with Aggadon Thrain?” “Our goals align for now.”

As the long rest concluded, Krowe began to hear a voice inside his head. Afraid it might have been a concussion, he soon recognized the voice as belonging to Karla Silverhelm of the Silverhelm Irregulars, the adventuring party that his wife Rune belonged to.

”Woodlawn Keep under siege by an army of the undead. Army is to the south. Approach from the west. You may reply to this message.”

The rest of the party also wondered if Krowe was suffering from a concussion as he spoke out loud. ”Message received. Three to five days away. Will make haste. Tell Rune to bust some skulls for me.”

Krowe explained the situation to the party, whose response could be summed up by the image of Belani Alefire strapping her armor on about halfway through his explanation and lays her warhammer across her shoulders as she finished.

”Undead? So when do we leave?”

X X X X X

It takes four days to make it to Woodlawn Keep, during which Kynwal allows Sabine to copy a few spells from his spellbooks, primarily Magic Missile, which one can never go wrong having memorized. Approaching the keep the party sees that the outbuildings surrounding the keep have been burned to the ground. Inside the keep, the courtyard is bursting with tents covering nearly every square foot of ground and makeshift smithies pounding out weapons and arrows.

Rune, Daughter of Bran, Wildsky stands on top of the south-face wall as the party comes up to her.

quote:

Krowe - ”I leave you alone for three weeks, and you bring me an undead army.”

Rune - ”Look out there. Those besieging us are YOUR enemies. I leave YOU alone for three weeks and you bring me an undead army.”

The forest to the south has been lumbered to the ground, leaving behind a field of undead - zombies, skeletons, and an armored figure who is supervising a large mound of dirt and wood in the middle of the field. Two camps lay beyond the field. One camp is packed with a mix of barbarians and dire wolves. The other is surrounded by twisted brambles and a dead, rotting treant being tended to by gnome-sized cloaked figures wielding sickles.

As night fell, the mound of dirt exploded, revealing the undead corpse of a Frost Giant.

That immediately charged the walls of Woodlawn Keep.

CobiWann fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Dec 6, 2018

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

Pollyanna posted:

That Purrasque gives me an idea for my own game.

Top notch AV/post combo

CobiWann posted:

Awesomeness

My compliments to your GM on their worldbuilding. I am filled with envy.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Last night my game had a pretty climactic battle. Party is exploring a mine/cave system, investigating several disappearances as well as questions like "where did all these weird mushrooms and fungal growths on these foothills come from" and "what are these freaky vaguely-draconic monsters doing in said mountains". It's been rough going; between the constant spores hanging in the air, the annoying tendency of their shock troopers to emit bursts of poison on injury/death, and the narrow tunnels making it hard to maneuver without getting ambushed, they've burned through quite a bit of their healing wands' charges. The party found a huge lake of indeterminate goo that was reacting to their magical items the way a ferrofluid reacts to a magnetic field, the warblade's (artifact) sword being the most reactive. So naturally they stick their weapons in it one at a time, which gave them a host of buffs related to the weapon involved.

After making sure they'll all topped off with the last of a CLW wand, they shove open the big double doors and are just in time to see their most direct antagonist, a red dragonspawn, sacrifice a young rust dragon, its blood getting sucked into his kukri and starting to glow. They take out his hordelings with little effort and little damage, manage to all save against his flashburst, and move in to melee with him, and so begins the bloodiest 6 seconds of this game so far.

The psywar gets there first, jumping up on the altar and trying to use his newly enhanced claws, but misses. Then the resident crit-fisher comes in with a double move, leaving her just in range to get full attacked by the dragonspawn and his angry looking kukri. He hits, then he crits. He crits hard. He drops her from nearly full hp to negatives, just barely above immediate death as he slashes her throat wide open. That's when the warblade activates charge stance, charges in with battle leader's charge, and rolls a nat 20. He rolls a total of 90 damage, taking the dragonspawn from 100% to chunky salsa in a single hit.

Having a nice big warm decently-fortified room and having yet another brush with death, the party chose to take a long rest there to recuperate, read through the dragonspawn's letters, and investigate the room; they've found a half-hidden tunnel that will take them even deeper into the mountain cave in his private quarters.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Krowe - My PC uses his bonus action to kiss his wife before jumping off the wall of the keep.

Aya - If you’d like, tongue is a free action.

DM - Tongue is clearly an item interaction.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

So did you have to make a deception roll to slip her the tongue or

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Volmarias posted:

There is no answer to this question that looks good, so...

They relented?

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Volmarias posted:

Seems more like performance to me

LemonRind
Apr 26, 2010

CEO OF FUNHAVER ENTERPRISES
Ask me about making YOUR thread suck less!
Taking part in my first campaign (Sunless Citadel) with my brother, and our group of board game friends and learned today the importance of keeping everyone in on a plan. I give you our third session of the Ticklecorn Chronicles.

The players:

Anton Graycastle a level 2 human wizard of the divination school played by my brother.
Bersk Bersk a level 2 human fighter played by myself
Busta of Kerok Nor a level 2 dwarven war domain cleric of Tempus and group leader
Brother Trancrede a level 2 half ork paladin of Tempus (and the ward of the cleric)
Francis a level 2 half elf ranger
Xanaphia Xiloscient a level 2 elf rogue
and finally our erstwhile guide through the citadel Meepo the kobold controlled by the dm.

Our party had met in Calimport as Anton, Busta, and Brother Trancrede hired the rest of us to investigate the goings on around the city of Oakhurst. We enter into the citadel, meet Meepo, and he takes us along to meet the kobolds leader crying out along the way. Anton understanding draconic hears Meepo shouting TICKLECORN over and over. He lets us know this, and we are all justifiably confused. We end up meeting a high priestess of the kobolds find out that that A. the kobolds had a seemingly young dragon, B. that goblins had recently raided stealing said dragon, and C. that a previous group of adventurers we knew attempted this mission were going to try and deal with the goblins but have not been heard of since. The priestess sends Meepo with us to the goblin's territory, and we make perhaps what is our first mistake. We let Meepo stay with us.

We encounter a pair of goblin sentinels after alerting them opening a door into a bell contraption. Lacking information on our surroundings Brother Trancrede and myself attempt to capture one alive, and fail miserably after killing the first. It retreats around the corner into another room. I decide to check around a corner to maybe see what is there and eat an arrow to the neck from one of three goblins hiding behind a makeshift wall. Arrows are traded, two goblins die before we capture a third. Meepo takes this opportunity to walk up to the hated goblin, and take a stab at it. Luckily for us it barely survives. Anton attempts to reign Meepo in speaking in draconic to him, and Meepo asks for the leaders guarantee that he will be able to kill the goblin when our group was done with him. In dwarven (which only Busta speaks) asks him for that guarantee which Busta gives to Meepo. Our only two members who speak goblin are Francis and Brother Trancrede who proceed with the interrogation of the now tied up goblin. It ends up being more of a negotiation then interrogation with the goblin getting Brother Trancrede to give him his word that if he gives useful information he will spare his life. We now have two promises one which ends with the goblin dead, and the other which keeps the goblin alive.

Our saving grace was a key found on one of the dead goblins. The captured goblin pointed out which door it would unlock, and behind it we find 3 chained kobolds & a gnome in a cage at the back of the room. After we free all the prisoners Meepo & his three compatriots start moving towards the goblin to exact some revenge. Brother Trancrede steps up informing that the goblin is to be spared. Fortunately cooler heads prevail in this situation as Anton talks to Brother Trancrede saying he understands he gave this goblin his word, but simply letting it go would put our group into danger if the goblin gave information on us. A compromise is reached where the goblin would be left bound in the room, and the door locked behind it with the key Brother Trancrede had used to open it. Everyone seems satisfied, but Anton asks if he can see the key to determine if there is anything special to it. After a natural 20 he was informed that it was in fact a simple key. Without missing a beat Anton states, "This key is magic of some kind, but I will need time to study it to learn what it does." One deception check later Brother Trancrede hands Anton the key wishing him luck in his studies. Once Anton is sure everyone is out of the room Anton unlocks the door, says in draconic to Meepo, "the door is open" and we move on further into the dungeon.

What happens to the goblin we may never know, but at least now we're going to take more care in telling people the promises we make.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Ahh Meepo I wonder how many groups have had him as a mascot and sidekick.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
Had a great combat last night in the Starfinder game I'm playing in. We're playing the Dead Suns module and while I have a lot of issues with it and the system last night was still extremely fun.

I am playing an Android Soldier who is the bodyguard of a former Boy Band member turned adventurer (Human Envoy). The other PCs are a Ysoki Mechanic and Human Operative.

We entered a room in an abandoned building, me leading, and a trap is set off that does massive damage to me, taking me from full stamina all the way into hit points. Unfortunately there are two monstrosities in the room and we have to go straight into combat. The monsters hit hard and resist damage so it's a tough fight. I take a big hit and I, the envoy and the mechanic's robot spend the next turn pumping me full of healing serums to keep me from being one shotted.

One monster goes down and we turn to the last one. I'm a melee build with the bodyguard feat which lets me subtract AC to give that much AC to an adjacent party member, or even take the hit for them. I'm in melee with the last monster, still pretty hurt, next to the operative who the creature keeps targeting. I manage to use my feat to protect the operative on two consecutive turns so the monster turns to me, and crits. I'm down, the envoy is panicking, but the monster is so close to dead. I stabilize myself with resolve point, the envoy uses their turn to pump me full of healing again and I'm alive, conscious and prone. My turn comes and I use my movement to stand up and do a single attack with my sword, Natural 20! I narrate that I stumble forward thrusting the sword in front of me, through the creature and fall forward, bringing it down and further gutting it. Finally it's dead and we have space to breathe. After a beat I reminded the party that we weren't done exploring the building.

Fun combat, there were crits being thrown back and forth all over last night, and it made for a cinematic experience for us.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I have done a 12 hour session of DnD for my Dragon Heist Group. They consist of:

Aran a half drow/ Fire Genasi slaver who was recently became a Warlock of Gra'azt and murdered his own family before fleeing to the material plane.
Lethe a Tiefling Blood hunter who was freed from demonic possession early in life only after being almost put down by her family.
Tavokas an Eladrin Bard who accidentally fell through to waterdeep a few months ago and is semi in hoc to a terrifying moth creature.
Johan a High Elf who his 400 and whose response to a midlife crisis is to try not to die at all, 0 social skills and an obsession with death.
Sister Patience who is, to anyone else's knowledge, a Dragonborn Cleric of Lathander. AND NOTHING ELSE
And "Flinches" an NPC Kobold slave of Aran's who has gotten more criticals than anyone else combined.

Highlights include:
Sister Patience suffering radiant damage by simply being in the church of Lathander at dawn.
Johan gaining the first interaction with another humanoid that ended well by making friends with a big buff necromancer.
Lethe contacting another plane and talking to her helper, a gigantic flaming wheel of eyes.
Tavokas saying "gently caress you" repeatedly to a scarecrow
Flinches getting the first crit fail and hitting an illithid with the blunt end of a dagger.
Aran torching two scarecrows
The players of Aran and Johan seething as Tav and Lethes players manage to make friends with an astonishingly wealthy and ancient man who they met at the opera.
Everyone going on a shopping trip to get fancy clothes and Lethe noticing that one of the boutique managers has scales.
Tavokas meeting up with his thought dead mentor, now missing an arm, who he thought murdered by the moth monster.
Aran's determined flirting with anyone who can get him slightly higher on the social ladder.
Lethe making friends with a cat named mittens.
Sister Patience disguising herself to infiltrate a Tiamat group meeting and though some incredible dice rolls not getting jumped by all and sundry.
Tavokas failing on noticing for half an hour that a horse he had been talking with was actually a lady in the carriage doing bad ventriloquy.
Everyone almost dying to an angry gunslinger before one person chooses to burn faction reputation so that they don't get merced.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I guess this is sorta cat-piss - a friend of mine is trying to make his own Pokemon RPG. And he's using D20 for it. Today he asked if we could come over and give it a try and oh god:

The system
  • Uses attribute scores (CHA, INT, WIS) to determine which Pokemon types you can control. That's their only purpose.

• There are feats, exclusively used at the moment to determine which Pokemon types you can control. I've been told this is because most of their first playtest group thought it was silly that people could control any Pokemon they wished from the get-go, so all psychic pokemon and those with intimidating physiques (like Charizard) have increased requirements for realism purposes, apparently. And you need these feats if you want to, say, get a Ralts or an Abra to listen to you.

• Damage and to-hit formulas are done by him (he loves maths) and the formulas themselves are slightly stripped down versions of the ones from the games.

• He insists on sticking to the game's values and effects so as to make his RPG compatible with Pokedex-style apps. Actual quote:

quote:

"For example, let's say you want to know how much damage Tackle does. You open the app, notice that the Power is 40. You duplicate the 4 and that gets you the type of die you should roll for damage, in this case a 1d8. You round anything below 40 to a 1d4 and you divide accuracy by half to get your to-hit bonus rate. You add +1 to damage per every 10 Attack you've got over their respective defense and you add +1 to hit and damage per every 5 Speed you've got the enemy Pokemon. I'm a tad annoyed at how simple the conversion system turned out but it'll have to do until I can find a more efficient formula.

• He told us our character sheets are for our eyes only, we are not meant to know what the other people in our party can do in case we want to fight them.

• Likewise, all enemy stats are also obfuscated. We are meant to capture Pokemon while mentally keeping track of their health based on their HP from the videogame. He refused to tell us what the catch rate formula was and instead said the formula was also a stripped down version of the one used in the game, so we were free to try and reverse engineer it ourselves if we really wanted to know. A Pokemon at 50% health needed at least a 15+ on a D20 to capture and we were told Pokeballs are relatively expensive so we shouldn't waste them unless we're truly sure we'll be successful. Any failed throw destroys the used Pokeball.

• To help maintain a sense of wonder and mystery, we couldn't use any of the official Pokemon, we had to choose from a list of fan-made Pokemon he curated for us (admittedly the art was really well done and almost indistinguishable from the originals). He also said types were also hidden information, including enemy type.

• The order in which we could choose our Pokemon depended on how well we did on a 6-question exam about Pokemon lore. We thought it was just a silly little minigame (you had questions which ranged from 'what's the name of the region Kakuna's from' to 'what's Eelektrik number in the National Pokedex") but he said we wouldn't get past the tutorial adventure until we passed a physical, psychological and written exam. The first two consisted of in-game checks (sure, whatever) and the last one would be a longer version of what we did before picking Pokemon. 'Performance will determine how much money and items you'll start with'

• I was the one with the most exposure to Pokemon mechanics because I played Black and White a few years ago (we all watched the anime as kids and like half the group play Pokemon Go, but that's it), but he'd still get annoyed whenever we stopped to check what the accuracy/power of a move was.

• Scanning with a Pokedex takes up your entire turn and grants you the privilege of getting to know the name of the Pokemon. If you want more info you have to grind for it by defeating the same Pokemon over and over.

• Leveling gives you points, but these points are determined by what you did in battle (he tracks this for every Pokemon we own) and half of them get assigned by him according to what we did. I asked what should I do if I want to level up my Speed, he said

quote:

Move your full movement allowance every turn and you might get a Speed increase.
    Given the short distances we were working with, it was silly because it meant all of us were moving out of and into the same square over and over. Initiative was solely defined by Speed so it was kind of an important stat.

• I asked who were the artists of the fake Pokemon he used because the designs were neat and I wanted to check them out in more detail and he said he couldn't tell me that if he wanted to keep the sense of wonder alive and asked us not to google till we were done with the playtesting.

• Critical Fumbles were A Thing, too.

It was a miserable, entirely too mathy and grognardy experience. It's a shame because he's a great guy but man, he gets really weird when it comes to Pokemon. He's also a self-admitted fan of the 'fantasy vietnam' style of GMing and he made it clear that would be the tone of his Pokemon RPG. So I guess in that regard it was a success. I said I'd think of useful feedback, but nothing comes to my mind except for "burn it all down" :v:

Azran fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jan 20, 2019

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
After he's done, run a straight pokemon game using the pokethulhu rules and watch him crumble

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

When you say "'fantasy vietnam' style of GMing" do you mean that he wants you to develop PTSD and be spit upon by your fellow RPGers when you tell them about it?