Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Disinterested posted:

Yes, although curiously knowledge of the ancient Greek and Latin languages survived best in Ireland and England for the same reasons, which is why Charlemagne had to import monks from the British Isles to staff his clergy and kick off a new revolution in literacy.

The closer you got to Rome the more likely you would have learned Latin from people around you. Britannia was on the rear end end so the common people had to be taught Latin by tutors for a long time. They ended up with a more grammatically pure Latin while the Romans in Rome had boatloads of slang in day to day speech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

YouTuber posted:

The closer you got to Rome the more likely you would have learned Latin from people around you. Britannia was on the rear end end so the common people had to be taught Latin by tutors for a long time. They ended up with a more grammatically pure Latin while the Romans in Rome had boatloads of slang in day to day speech.

Nothing I said is discrepant with that account, hence:

quote:

a form of Latin that would be of use in reading classical texts

To which you could add from wiki:

quote:

the precursors to today's Romance languages, that were becoming mutually unintelligible and preventing scholars from one part of Europe being able to communicate with persons from another part of Europe.

I didn't make any claims about this being anything other than an elite movement, but there's not really a debate to be had about the point of origin of the rebirth of classical Latin literacy in Europe (namely the Carolingian court, using monks from the British Isles). The fact that Britain was relatively isolate hindered the development even of the vernacular Latin leftovers away from classical Latin in Britain, iirc.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
No mention of Visigothic Iberia? That was probably the place with the best preservation of late-classical, Latin, Western Roman culture in its time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reccopolis

quote:

is one of at least four cities founded in Hispania by the Visigoths,[1] the only new cities in Western Europe known to be founded between the fifth and eighth centuries.

If the German warlords in the West had kept up a longer-lasting, more unified "Western Roman Empire" it would have looked like the Visigothic Kingdom writ large. In law, people, culture, language, politics, religion, urban life, etc.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

cheerfullydrab posted:

No mention of Visigothic Iberia? That was probably the place with the best preservation of late-classical, Latin, Western Roman culture in its time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reccopolis

If the German warlords in the West had kept up a longer-lasting, more unified "Western Roman Empire" it would have looked like the Visigothic Kingdom writ large. In law, people, culture, language, politics, religion, urban life, etc.

You make a good point, which shows up that mine is being made in more or less the Carolingian context.

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!
Not to be overly pedantic, but I think it's worth noting that the Carolingian "renaissance" (not a term scholars prefer anymore) was more about implementing a certain educated, Christian elite's vision of correct Christian belief and practice. The revival of classical Latin (at least, what these people saw as correct classical Latin) was a means to achieve this goal, not the goal itself.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

deadking posted:

Not to be overly pedantic, but I think it's worth noting that the Carolingian "renaissance" (not a term scholars prefer anymore) was more about implementing a certain educated, Christian elite's vision of correct Christian belief and practice. The revival of classical Latin (at least, what these people saw as correct classical Latin) was a means to achieve this goal, not the goal itself.

I'm not at variance with this view.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Behold Europe at the time of the Western Roman Empire's fall, as faithfully and accurately recreated by earnest people in the Paradox forums:

Political:

and cultural:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Is that wrong?

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

You're missing the mighty Garamantes.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Is that the mod where the Garamantes have like 40 really wealthy counties that weren't in the base game and the Ostrogoth coat of arms has a Nazi eagle in it?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

FreudianSlippers posted:

Is that the mod where the Garamantes have like 40 really wealthy counties that weren't in the base game and the Ostrogoth coat of arms has a Nazi eagle in it?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Didn't the Nazis steal that eagle from Rome, anyway?

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

They stole the eagle motif(although everyone else had been doing so for 1500 years by then). But the issue with that icon is that it is literally the Nazi emblem with the actual swastika edited out in paint.

Emblem of the German Reich, 1935-45.

Jaramin fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Feb 11, 2015

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Arglebargle III posted:

Is that wrong?
There's Spartans in the Peloponnese, and all of Noricum is settled by Alans. There's only so much fidelity in the screenshot, so I know it's not entirely clear, but there's also Chatti and Cherusci as their own cultures up in Germany for the late 5th century AD, Thracians, Thraco-Romans and Helleno-Thracians right next to each other, and Corsicans and Sardinians as independent unique cultures.

Beamed posted:

You're missing the mighty Garamantes.
I'm trying hard to forget about the Garamantes.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Ofaloaf posted:

Behold Europe at the time of the Western Roman Empire's fall, as faithfully and accurately recreated by earnest people in the Paradox forums:

Political:

and cultural:

I don't know if I'd characterize Odoacer as "mighty." "Lucky," certainly.

e: I picked up A.M. Snodgrass' The Dark Age of Greece at the library the other day, which is pretty interesting. It's from 1971, so it's not exactly up to date on a lot of archeological findings, but it's the best account I've seen of what life must have been like at that time.

I'm still unsatisfied with a lot of the hypothetical explanations I'm seeing for the disappearance of writing in the Aegean during that period, though - not just Snodgrass', but elsewhere too. I just find it hard to believe that writing was an art that only a few scribes in the palace centers possessed. It's one thing to acknowledge that most people in Mycenaean Greece probably didn't know how to read or write. But it's quite another to suggest that a few elites in the Late Bronze Age managed to keep anyone else in society from learning how to read and write throughout the five hundred or so years of Mycenaean civilization. So I don't buy that the disappearance of the palace centers can completely and directly explain it.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Feb 12, 2015

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Majorian posted:

I don't know if I'd characterize Odoacer as "mighty." "Lucky," certainly.

e: I picked up A.M. Snodgrass' The Dark Age of Greece at the library the other day, which is pretty interesting. It's from 1971, so it's not exactly up to date on a lot of archeological findings, but it's the best account I've seen of what life must have been like at that time.

I'm still unsatisfied with a lot of the hypothetical explanations I'm seeing for the disappearance of writing in the Aegean during that period, though - not just Snodgrass', but elsewhere too. I just find it hard to believe that writing was an art that only a few scribes in the palace centers possessed. It's one thing to acknowledge that most people in Mycenaean Greece probably didn't know how to read or write. But it's quite another to suggest that a few elites in the Late Bronze Age managed to keep anyone else in society from learning how to read and write throughout the five hundred or so years of Mycenaean civilization. So I don't buy that the disappearance of the palace centers can completely and directly explain it.

I think that one of the reasons was that the writing system was so esoteric and specialized that the elites wouldn't have needed to "keep" anyone else from learning it; why would your average dirt farmer or retainer want to be able to keep track of tax returns or temple offerings? As I understand it, the way Linear B worked was that you couldn't really use it to read or write poetry, for example; it was pretty much a way for scribes to manage administrative tasks. You would need to invent vowels and stuff for it to have more non-elite appeal.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Jaramin posted:

They stole the eagle motif(although everyone else had been doing so for 1500 years by then). But the issue with that icon is that it is literally the Nazi emblem with the actual swastika edited out in paint.

So like a goon MMO guild, yeah?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Smiling Knight posted:

I think that one of the reasons was that the writing system was so esoteric and specialized that the elites wouldn't have needed to "keep" anyone else from learning it; why would your average dirt farmer or retainer want to be able to keep track of tax returns or temple offerings? As I understand it, the way Linear B worked was that you couldn't really use it to read or write poetry, for example; it was pretty much a way for scribes to manage administrative tasks. You would need to invent vowels and stuff for it to have more non-elite appeal.

There are plenty of writing systems that have poetry but not vowels. There is the argument (which I find persuasive) that the Greek alphabet was invented in order to write down Homer, since vowel quantity is essential to Greek scansion, but this isn't the case with all languages, and of course you COULD write down Greek poetry without vowels . . . you would just need to have a good idea of what it said already when you were reading it out again.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Smiling Knight posted:

Alphabets(abjads) without vowels survived just fine to the present day, along with full logographic systems, so that doesn't really make any sense

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

icantfindaname posted:

Alphabets(abjads) without vowels survived just fine to the present day, along with full logographic systems, so that doesn't really make any sense

Best exemplified by Arabic which as we know has never ever been used for poetry.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Smiling Knight posted:

Well, but here's the thing: the stuff we have in Linear B script is only the clerical/inventory stuff, but that may well be because that's all that survived. Even if Linear B couldn't be used to write poetry or prose, I have to believe that poets and writers in the cities used one script or another to write it down. You're right that your average dirt farmer wouldn't need to know Linear B to survive, but keep in mind, by the end of the Bronze Age, cities like Mycenae and Knossos had become fairly large and complex, at least by the standards of the day (e: and the Late Helladic cultures were also several hundred years old by the 12th century BC). A significant amount of the population lived in and around the palace centers, and probably didn't contribute directly to the economy - you instead had merchants and lawyers and doctors and whatever. I have to believe that these people were literate, wrote things down, and provided a market for a certain amount of poetry, literature, or even just written instruction. Whether or not they usually read or wrote things down with Linear B, or with some other script, the question still remains: what happened to these people? What happened to their literacy? Did they just all die out when the cataclysm hit their cities? Did they just decide not to pass their skills onto the next generation, when it became clear that there was so much less demand, with the palace economies gone? Was it something else altogether? We may never know, but boy, if it isn't the most interesting question to me in the whole greater mystery that is the Late Bronze Age Collapse.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Feb 15, 2015

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Majorian posted:

palace economies

Apologies.. What is a palace economy?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Dalael posted:

Apologies.. What is a palace economy?

Basically a system where all the money flows into the palace, and then is redistributed among the population. It's a particular flavor of command economy that was how most of the Bronze Age Aegean civilizations functioned.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Benny the Snake posted:

I just had a thought-how damaged would an ancient Olympian's feet be from running in sandals so much?

Humanity evolved to be long distance runners thousands of years before the invention of shoes.

So I'm pretty sure an Olympians feet would be OK running around in well fitted sandals.

Speaking personally, I hated wearing shoes as a kid, and used to run around the in the middle of summer on concrete and asphalt paved roads in 100+ degree heat without any shoes. It wasn't some iron man challenge, just something a dumb kid did. Human feet are evolved to be naturally tough, or at least as tough as any other animal out there.

Evolution kind of skipped a step when it came to glass shards and loose Lego pieces, so it's still a really good idea to wear shoes .

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Feb 15, 2015

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I know a dude who ran a ~100km mountain ultramarathon barefoot. Do not underestimate human feet.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

my dad posted:

I know a dude who ran a ~100km mountain ultramarathon barefoot. Do not underestimate human feet.

Human beings are the most long-lasting of all land-based predators. They can chase anything until it collapses from exhaustion.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
Running barefoot absolutely owns if your feet are used to it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarahumara_people

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abebe_Bikila

I could list more, but phone posting sucks.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

icantfindaname posted:

that is an abjad

stop using that
you are persian

you decline by vowel changes

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Majorian posted:

Well, but here's the thing: the stuff we have in Linear B script is only the clerical/inventory stuff, but that may well be because that's all that survived. Even if Linear B couldn't be used to write poetry or prose, I have to believe that poets and writers in the cities used one script or another to write it down. You're right that your average dirt farmer wouldn't need to know Linear B to survive, but keep in mind, by the end of the Bronze Age, cities like Mycenae and Knossos had become fairly large and complex, at least by the standards of the day (e: and the Late Helladic cultures were also several hundred years old by the 12th century BC). A significant amount of the population lived in and around the palace centers, and probably didn't contribute directly to the economy - you instead had merchants and lawyers and doctors and whatever. I have to believe that these people were literate, wrote things down, and provided a market for a certain amount of poetry, literature, or even just written instruction. Whether or not they usually read or wrote things down with Linear B, or with some other script, the question still remains: what happened to these people? What happened to their literacy? Did they just all die out when the cataclysm hit their cities? Did they just decide not to pass their skills onto the next generation, when it became clear that there was so much less demand, with the palace economies gone? Was it something else altogether? We may never know, but boy, if it isn't the most interesting question to me in the whole greater mystery that is the Late Bronze Age Collapse.

Have you read Letters to the Kings of Mari?

Just a ton of translated tablets. It's neat to see all the random miscellaneous stuff that's been recorded, like instructions on how to properly read a liver, a message to the king saying his dog just had puppies, or trade and military instructions.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Tunicate posted:

Just a ton of translated tablets. It's neat to see all the random miscellaneous stuff that's been recorded, like instructions on how to properly read a liver, a message to the king saying his dog just had puppies, or trade and military instructions.

Those are the letters between an Assyrian king and his two sons/governors, right? They're a really good look at how things were in the 1800s BC. In some of the letters they're talking about their sweet chariot rides. Although, IIRC, they think the king and the princes were illiterate and relied on scribes for the reading and writing.

sullat fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Feb 15, 2015

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Tunicate posted:

I haven't actually! That sounds awesome, though. I love ancient letters like that. One of my favorites about the whole Bronze Age Collapse is that chilling final letter sent from the last king of Ugarit, Ammurapi, to the king of Alashiya (Cyprus), begging for help as the Sea People attacked his city:

quote:

“My father, behold, the enemy ships came (here); my cities (?) were burned, and they did evil things to my country. Does not my father know that all my troops and chariots (?) are in the Hittite country, and all my ships are in the land of Lycia?...Thus the country is abandoned to itself. May my father know it: the seven ships of the enemy that came here inflicted much damage upon us”

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

My personal favorite are the (i think) Egyptian obelisks that tell how the brave king defeated the Sea peoples... except they progress towards the capital as time goes on.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Agean90 posted:

My personal favorite are the (i think) Egyptian obelisks that tell how the brave king defeated the Sea peoples... except they progress towards the capital as time goes on.

Yeah, I've been listening to the Great Courses history of Egypt series, and I like how the guy describes Egyptian records of battles. To paraphrase him, "If you believe the Egyptian records, they never lost a battle! They just kept having to fight battles further and further into their heartland..."

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Xander77 posted:

3. Semi-related: What did the Romans know about India? Trade, diplomatic embassies, reading up on furry ants in Herodotus? Did they think of it as the place where Alexander stopped, and thus the end-goal of any utopian/theoretical attempt to outdo him?

Probably a lot. They had regular trade, there were three Roman towns in India on the Tabula Peutingeriana (one of which has a temple so was probably permanently inhabited, the others may have just been trading outposts), there's Roman poo poo all over India and Indian poo poo in Rome. India was the furthest east you could consider part of the Roman world, I'd say. Romans traded further east and traveled at least as far as China, but India seems to be the eastern edge of where you wouldn't be surprised to find Romans around.

There was no single "India" at the time though. Trajan apparently had the conquest of India as his end goal in his eastern adventures, but he died and Hadrian thought further expansion was foolish.

Majorian posted:

Well, but here's the thing: the stuff we have in Linear B script is only the clerical/inventory stuff, but that may well be because that's all that survived.

Or it's all they wrote down.

Like the way cuneiform tablets seem to all be the most boring poo poo on Earth about tax records and whatnot. I suspect early writing cultures saw writing as a way to record things that were hard to remember/easy to dispute, like business arrangements, and the tradition of oral storytelling was still very strong. Thus the idea of writing down a story or poem didn't make any sense at the time, and was a later invention. And that's why some of these oldest writing systems don't record literature.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

Or it's all they wrote down.

Like the way cuneiform tablets seem to all be the most boring poo poo on Earth about tax records and whatnot. I suspect early writing cultures saw writing as a way to record things that were hard to remember/easy to dispute, like business arrangements, and the tradition of oral storytelling was still very strong. Thus the idea of writing down a story or poem didn't make any sense at the time, and was a later invention. And that's why some of these oldest writing systems don't record literature.

It's possible, but here's why I'm skeptical of that answer: even if they only used Linear B to write down boring clerical stuff, you've still got a city population that are about as globalized as a pre-modern society can be. Archeological discoveries like the Uluburun shipwreck show that there were a lot of different peoples and cultures coming in and out of the big cities of Mycenaean Greece, all of them bringing in their own languages and systems of writing. Many of those languages and writing systems had literary traditions of their own - Egyptian, Hittite, etc (hell, even Cuneiform was used for poetry and prose occasionally). I could believe that none of these writing systems would permeate any of the Mycenaean populace if they were only a trading power for a couple generations. But we're talking about several centuries here. In all that time, did the Mycenaeans really not see that the rest of the eastern Mediterranean world was putting its poetry and literature down in writing? It's possible, but I doubt it. So I have to believe that there was some sort of Mycenaean literary/poetic tradition that was written down somewhere, and if I'm right on that, then there's still that important and alluring missing puzzle piece, ie: what happened to literacy after the collapse of the Bronze Age empires?

Anyway, I fully admit that I could be wrong. I'm no archeologist or even a proper historian - just an enthusiast.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Feb 15, 2015

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Majorian posted:

It's possible, but here's why I'm skeptical of that answer: even if they only used Linear B to write down boring clerical stuff, you've still got a city population that are about as globalized as a pre-modern society can be. Archeological discoveries like the Uluburun shipwreck show that there were a lot of different peoples and cultures coming in and out of the big cities of Mycenaean Greece, all of them bringing in their own languages and systems of writing. Many of those languages and writing systems had literary traditions of their own - Egyptian, Hittite, etc (hell, even Cuneiform was used for poetry and prose occasionally). I could believe that none of these writing systems would permeate any of the Mycenaean populace if they were only a trading power for a couple generations. But we're talking about several centuries here. In all that time, did the Mycenaeans really not see that the rest of the eastern Mediterranean world was putting its poetry and literature down in writing? It's possible, but I doubt it. So I have to believe that there was some sort of Mycenaean literary/poetic tradition that was written down somewhere, and if I'm right on that, then there's still that important and alluring missing puzzle piece, ie: what happened to literacy after the collapse of the Bronze Age empires?

Anyway, I fully admit that I could be wrong. I'm no archeologist or even a proper historian - just an enthusiast.

On the other hand, why would you need to (or even think to) write something down that is composed extemporaneously (as many believe Homeric epic was)? Writing down your poetry is not automatically "better."

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Majorian posted:

Yeah, I've been listening to the Great Courses history of Egypt series, and I like how the guy describes Egyptian records of battles. To paraphrase him, "If you believe the Egyptian records, they never lost a battle! They just kept having to fight battles further and further into their heartland..."

That could be literally true though. Look at the Cimbri War or the Chinese battles with the Xiongnu.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Tunicate posted:

a message to the king saying his dog just had puppies

I choose to interpret this as the message being from some random dude who was super-excited that his dog had just had puppies, and wanted to let the King know :3:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Majorian posted:

It's just speculation anyway. I have seen people claim that like the Sumerians were robots who had no art because they didn't write down literature in the tax tablets we've found, which is absurd. I figure that writing is an invention for a specific purpose, and the most likely reason you'd want it would be to record poo poo that's hard to remember, like increasingly complex business/legal systems.

I dunno if this idea is entirely out of my own rear end or from someone else's rear end that I read about or what, but I dunno. It seems more reasonable than "they didn't write down their art therefore they had none".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Grand Fromage posted:

It's just speculation anyway. I have seen people claim that like the Sumerians were robots who had no art because they didn't write down literature in the tax tablets we've found, which is absurd. I figure that writing is an invention for a specific purpose, and the most likely reason you'd want it would be to record poo poo that's hard to remember, like increasingly complex business/legal systems.

I dunno if this idea is entirely out of my own rear end or from someone else's rear end that I read about or what, but I dunno. It seems more reasonable than "they didn't write down their art therefore they had none".

Best explanation I've seen is that since their epic poetry was largely improvised at each performance based on a set of standard plot points, there was no definitive version to set down in writing and nobody even thought about writing it down at the time.

What did get written down was often hundreds of years later based on memories of elders for various reasons.