Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

XK posted:

The one at 1:55, look for the motorcycle. I never saw it until it was pointed out to me.

:stonk: It was bad enough without having that pointed out. Holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Negromancer posted:

The whole cellphone thing that drives me the most crazy is the people who are driving brand new BMW/MB/Audi/etc that are talking on their phones and holding them. I know that you have bluetooth on your phone and you car and that it is super loving easy to setup and works really well. Hell, even if you are too stupid to figure out how to pair your phone to the car, the dealership will do it for you(the VW dealer did it when I bought my JSW, despite me telling him I could handle it). I just don't understand why someone would rather hold their phone instead of push a button to answer the phone thats on the loving steering wheel, and then just be able to talk to someone.

How else are you supposed to use facebook/twitter/whatsapp/tinder/grindr/messenger/ebay..........................?

My favourite one was the lady who as I was cycling up a road, pulled out in front of me so closely that I hit her rear bumper with my tyre despite hauling on the brakes and was watching some TV show with her phone sat on her dash.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

The Locator posted:

One thing that is really striking about the dash cam videos from Russia (and to be fair, a lot of the ones from the US and Europe) is how many crashes were completely avoidable by the person who was *not* at fault. But "by god, I have the right of way, and I'm going to T-bone that loving fuel tanker rather than give it up!"

That video is unique as there are three clips where the dashcam owner pulls over to help.

I have seen a huge number of dashcam crashes from Russia and I can count the number of times they stop on the fingers of one finger.

Not big on helping their fellow man, are these comrades.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

spog posted:

That video is unique as there are three clips where the dashcam owner pulls over to help.

I have seen a huge number of dashcam crashes from Russia and I can count the number of times they stop on the fingers of one finger.

Not big on helping their fellow man, are these comrades.

I feel like most of the ones I watch on this channel most people stop to help, especially the clips when it's a car biffing it on one of those back country roads with nothing around. One thing I've noticed and I wonder if it's something to do with Russian laws or fault assignment but they never move out of the way when there's a minor accident. The second two cars touch they both stop where they are, put on flashers, and get out and wait for the police. Doesn't matter if they're blocking the entire roadway, I almost never see them pull over to the side to deal with it, it's always done in the middle of the road as soon as the accident occurs and everyone else needs to drive around them.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Scruff McGruff posted:

I feel like most of the ones I watch on this channel most people stop to help, especially the clips when it's a car biffing it on one of those back country roads with nothing around. One thing I've noticed and I wonder if it's something to do with Russian laws or fault assignment but they never move out of the way when there's a minor accident. The second two cars touch they both stop where they are, put on flashers, and get out and wait for the police. Doesn't matter if they're blocking the entire roadway, I almost never see them pull over to the side to deal with it, it's always done in the middle of the road as soon as the accident occurs and everyone else needs to drive around them.

To be fair, I see that happen a lot in America too.

GOTTA PRESERVE THE SCENE SO THE POLICE CAN INVESTIGATE. :byodood:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Honestly, I think it's just because people don't know what to do after an accident and they're usually flustered. I keep a checklist in my glovebox and I actually have an iPhone app with the same thing (and space to take notes) just so I don't have to think about it if I'm ever in a stressful situation right after an accident or something.

I think the worst thing that can happen is for two people who have never been in accidents before to get into an accident with each other, because then you don't have anyone that knows anything around.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtTkpCeA4yg

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/video/man-drives-off-bridge-netherlands-162626415.html

quote:

the man was initially unharmed and climbed out of the vehicle, but broke several ribs and punctured a lung when attempting to escape the water

(warning: autoplaying video in that link)

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

quote:

the man was initially unharmed and climbed out of the vehicle, but broke several ribs and punctured a lung when attempting to escape the water

...how are people this dumb still alive in such a dangerous world?

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.

88h88 posted:

...how are people this dumb still alive in such a dangerous world?
Because people much smarter than them intervene and save their retarded rear end.

This fuckwit had to put up some serious effort to get himself in this situation. Drive under red crosses, past numerous warning lights, and through a physical barrier to even get to the bridge.

Regardless of what motivated his actions, he should be put through an article 130 procedure before ever getting his licence back. This person is probably either physically or mentally unable to operate a motor vehicle of any description.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
I teach drivers ed and we just finished a section on distracted driving. ATT's "It Can Wait" video is drat good to show to kids how easy it is for poo poo to go south. I also have them write down what they want to do in five years and the last text they sent. I then pair them up and say "Jake here was texting 'I'm so money' and crossed over the centerline and hit Callie head on. She's paralyzed and will never be able to be a dancer on Broadway".

There's even an It Can Wait VR app which I recommend. You can do it without the cardboard goggles but it's really awesome.

In other bad driver news: on the highway I saw a PT cruiser with its reverse lights on at night. As it got farther away, it was bright enough to look like a car driving the wrong way down the road.

fralbjabar
Jan 26, 2007
I am a meat popscicle.
Earlier today had to wait a good five minutes to leave a parking lot because someone decided to drive the wrong way down the one way lot and then fumblefuck their way through a 15 point turn to get into the angled parking spot. At least they kept yelling about how sorry they were every time they backed out and tried to ram their car into the spot from the wrong direction again...

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

fralbjabar posted:

Earlier today had to wait a good five minutes to leave a parking lot because someone decided to drive the wrong way down the one way lot and then fumblefuck their way through a 15 point turn to get into the angled parking spot. At least they kept yelling about how sorry they were every time they backed out and tried to ram their car into the spot from the wrong direction again...

At that point, why not just back into the spot and deal with things on the way out? Wouldn't that be just the easiest thing ever?

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Ya know, I almost never get calls while I'm driving so I've never really thought much about taking the call (phone to ear), seeing if it's important, then either quickly finishing the call or telling whoever it is that I'm driving and will call them back when I'm done. In cases where the person needed to talk to me, I'd pull over.

I've decided that this is no longer acceptable as I had my first near-wreck this week due to being on the phone. To be fair, it wouldn't have been my fault. I was in the left lane doing about 70 in a 65 mph zone, and about to change over to the right after a pass, when a Porsche 928 came tearing up behind me so fast that he was not there one second, and there the next. Because I was on the phone I couldn't signal, so I started to move over but he assumed I didn't see him and moved right to undertake me. I had a split second of absolute panic, until he saw my move and swerved back left, and I very quickly finished my lane change to the right. He blasted past me doing at least 100, full throttle with exhaust screaming.

On one hand he was driving WAY illegally and like an rear end in a top hat to boot. But I fully recognize that I would have been much better equipped to safely react to his dangerous behavior were I not on the phone. I've always preached that it's my job as a good driver to avoid other people's idiocy when possible regardless of how the insurance would play out.

I promise AI I will no longer phone and drive.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jul 24, 2015

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

tuna posted:

probably your standard left foot braker resting his foot on the loving brake pedal and toggling the brake lights every other second. Just stay well away from them as if they had no brake lights at all.

That was what I thought too, but this guy had freakish machine-like regularity. Either way, I did give him a wide birth.

fralbjabar
Jan 26, 2007
I am a meat popscicle.

PT6A posted:

At that point, why not just back into the spot and deal with things on the way out? Wouldn't that be just the easiest thing ever?

"But that's not my favorite thing!"
-them

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
Are you guys only against specifically holding the phone while driving? I've been using a wired headset for 10 years, and I focus on the road first, then the phone call, and I make the other person aware that I will zone them out while I focus on what is in front of me. It's actually a great way to let my mother talk about her church group for a half hour while I keep tabs on other drivers.

It's me, I'm the other driver on the phone

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

I don't have bluetooth in my car, but I do have an aux jack, so I used to hook the phone up to that and use speakerphone and it worked fine.

Then an android update broke it so that phone wouldn't go into speakerphone mode when it had something plugged into the headphone jack.

Then my phone's microphone stopped working very well so nobody can hear me unless the phone is within 6 inches of my mouth on speakerphone.

I try not to answer the phone in the car but occasionally I have to, I always keep the call short but it still pisses me off that I'm forced to be that guy by the fact that my phone is hosed up. I need a new phone.

I'm using one of these in my car, and despite the cables being short enough that the microphone has to be mounted down near the radio quality is fine (according to my mum who is about the only person that makes actual phone calls anyway)

It also works perfectly for getting Spotify to play on the cars audio system so it would be worth it even if you don't do calls in the car at all.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

CharlieWhiskey posted:

Are you guys only against specifically holding the phone while driving? I've been using a wired headset for 10 years, and I focus on the road first, then the phone call, and I make the other person aware that I will zone them out while I focus on what is in front of me. It's actually a great way to let my mother talk about her church group for a half hour while I keep tabs on other drivers.

It's me, I'm the other driver on the phone
Personally, I'm against being on it at all. I'll generally settle for other drivers using handsfree setups, even though there are studies indicating that it's as or nearly as unsafe.

It sounds like you do so fairly responsibly. I wouldn't criticize you for it unless I saw you weaving into my lane, blowing through stop signs, or sitting at a green light.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Krakkles posted:

Personally, I'm against being on it at all. I'll generally settle for other drivers using handsfree setups, even though there are studies indicating that it's as or nearly as unsafe.

It sounds like you do so fairly responsibly. I wouldn't criticize you for it unless I saw you weaving into my lane, blowing through stop signs, or sitting at a green light.

This is my view - I personally never talk on my phone because of how many close calls I've had from other people doing it. I almost got in trouble at my last job over the past winter because I was on call, a huge snow storm came through and I was driving my 2WD Malibu to a couple client sites that had power/ISP outages, I missed a couple calls and a manager tried to bitch until they realized I was blowing through streets that hadn't been plowed in below zero weather and ended up getting sick from it.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Personally I find talking to a passenger more distracting than talking on the phone (when my phone worked hands-free). I still never liked talking to people on the phone in the car even when I could properly do it hands free, but I don't see why talking on the phone would be more distracting than a passenger.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

LloydDobler posted:

Ya know, I almost never get calls while I'm driving so I've never really thought much about taking the call (phone to ear), seeing if it's important, then either quickly finishing the call or telling whoever it is that I'm driving and will call them back when I'm done. In cases where the person needed to talk to me, I'd pull over.

I've decided that this is no longer acceptable as I had my first near-wreck this week due to being on the phone. To be fair, it wouldn't have been my fault. I was in the left lane doing about 70 in a 65 mph zone, and about to change over to the right after a pass, when a Porsche 928 came tearing up behind me so fast that he was not there one second, and there the next. Because I was on the phone I couldn't signal, so I started to move over but he assumed I didn't see him and moved right to undertake me. I had a split second of absolute panic, until he saw my move and swerved back left, and I very quickly finished my lane change to the right. He blasted past me doing at least 100, full throttle with exhaust screaming.

On one hand he was driving WAY illegally and like an rear end in a top hat to boot. But I fully recognize that I would have been much better equipped to safely react to his dangerous behavior were I not on the phone. I've always preached that it's my job as a good driver to avoid other people's idiocy when possible regardless of how the insurance would play out.

I promise AI I will no longer phone and drive.

I'm almost the opposite of you:

I had a pro-fitted handfree kit - all the bells and whistles including voice dialling and I only ever made short calls to boring people on long, safe stretches of road. About the safest that you can be while on the phone.

I began to notice that when I was on a call, my speed dropped and I wasn't keeping up with traffic. Also, when I finished the call, I had to make a special effort to look around and note where other cars were in relation to me (instead of being just aware of it)

I then began watching other cars on the roads and noticed a consistency: those who had poor lane/speed discipline had about a 70% chance of being on the phone

I stopped using the phone. My new car has no phone connectivity at all and it stays on vibrate in my bag.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Yeah, I always feel fine when talking on the phone while driving, but then notice that I don't remember much of the last minute or two once I hang up. I pick up sometimes on the highway, but not when driving in town.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Personally I find talking to a passenger more distracting than talking on the phone (when my phone worked hands-free). I still never liked talking to people on the phone in the car even when I could properly do it hands free, but I don't see why talking on the phone would be more distracting than a passenger.

Because the passenger adds a second set of eyes. Lots of studies have proven that although still distracting, its still orders of magnitude safer than a phone conversation.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

Siochain posted:

Because the passenger adds a second set of eyes. Lots of studies have proven that although still distracting, its still orders of magnitude safer than a phone conversation.

dee eight posted:

A point here is that a passenger is able to see what the driver sees and should know when to shut up. Like when the semi ahead starts shedding retread and swaying all over the lane. A person on the other end of a phone conversation is unaware of what's happening on the road.

I'm sure plenty other drivers besides me have turned off the radio/tunes and told passengers to shut the gently caress up when a traffic situation looks to be turning hairy.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

This year our company announced a zero-tolerance policy on business calls (handsfree or otherwise) and texting while driving. Guess how well enforcement has gone?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

It's probably not, particularly, but saying you can't talk to anyone in a car would be a hard sell.

You're thinking about it backwards (wrong): it's not that passengers aren't distracting, it's that it's harder to ban that.

I mean, look at the cell phone laws - those exist, and you obviously don't think they apply to you. Imagine how flagrantly you'd break a law that said you couldn't have any distracting conversation, or how hard it would be to enforce.

dee eight posted:

I'm sure plenty other drivers besides me have turned off the radio/tunes and told passengers to shut the gently caress up when a traffic situation looks to be turning hairy.
Based on the number of people that I've been in a car with who don't notice anything (driving or as a passenger), and who get mad when I dare tell them to shut the gently caress up because something is going very wrong,

I don't think this "second set of eyes" theory holds much water.

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jul 25, 2015

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Uthor posted:

Yeah, I always feel fine when talking on the phone while driving, but then notice that I don't remember much of the last minute or two once I hang up. I pick up sometimes on the highway, but not when driving in town.

Weird. I'm just the opposite. On the rare occasion that I'm taking a call in the car (always hands free), it's the conversation that is in the 'back' part of my mind, and if things on the road get busy, I completely lose the conversation and then when I realize it I'll tell the person I'll call them back later, or just tell them sorry, traffic was busy and I completely missed what you just said.

I always keep any call in the car short and to the point anyway, as I'd rather not be on a call at all.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Krakkles posted:

Based on the number of people that I've been in a car with who don't notice anything (driving or as a passenger), and who get mad when I dare tell them to shut the gently caress up because something is going very wrong,

I don't think this "second set of eyes" theory holds much water.

As far as a second set of eyes most of my friends and family to be as good of passengers as they are drivers. Those that are attentive drivers tend to be observant passengers where those that are scary to ride with tend to have no idea what's going on at any time.

superdylan
Oct 13, 2005
not 100% stupid
I understand pulling into the intersection and waiting for the red light to make your left turn, but this is a new one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_R7PcoU53A

edit- she doesn't even look my direction, I should use my powers of invisibility for awesome

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
We are extremely terrible at multitasking so please stop doing it when piloting a 2 ton plus road missile.

leeanator
Oct 15, 2007
Canada Eh?

superdylan posted:

I understand pulling into the intersection and waiting for the red light to make your left turn, but this is a new one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_R7PcoU53A

edit- she doesn't even look my direction, I should use my powers of invisibility for awesome

Her intersection technically, until the driver clears you have no business being there. You don't know if there isn't a hazard in her way you cannot see. Especially on a bike, you weigh much less.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

leeanator posted:

Her intersection technically, until the driver clears you have no business being there. You don't know if there isn't a hazard in her way you cannot see. Especially on a bike, you weigh much less.

She was behind the stop bar and not in the intersection through the light cycle and into his green light. That's a straight up running of a red.

superdylan
Oct 13, 2005
not 100% stupid

leeanator posted:

Technically I entered it first on a green light

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

SyHopeful posted:

She was behind the stop bar and not in the intersection through the light cycle and into his green light. That's a straight up running of a red.

Yeah, there really shouldn't be any debate around this one.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

PT6A posted:

Yeah, there really shouldn't be any debate around this one.
There will be, because it's this thread and this thread has long since gone meta.

(I agree with you.)

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I'm the person you share the road with. I was changing lanes in D.C. tonight and I completely missed one of those tiny smart 2go or whatever rental cars on my left. He had to honk to let me know he was there. It's so embarrassing to be schooled by a dinky smartcar horn but I had it coming. Later that night I was triple-shoulder checking before lane changes on the beltway. That kind of thing must happen a thousand times a day in any major city but not to me dammit, I'm one of the good ones!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

To sideswipe a car2go (or any Smart) is a glorious thing; feel not shame, only disappointment.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Safety Dance posted:

Choke on a barrel of dicks.

Not sure how prevalent it is elsewhere, but I know where I live that bikes can use the street OR the sidewalk. Depending where you are in town, this is a huge blessing, especially at 4 way stops when cyclists think they're exempt from the rules everyone else has to adhere to.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Completing your turn after the light has gone red is legal here. Except you have to already have been pulled into the intersection, not sitting at the stop line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

leeanator posted:

No for the reasons on there listed. She entered on a red.

Ozz81 posted:

Not sure how prevalent it is elsewhere, but I know where I live that bikes can use the street OR the sidewalk. Depending where you are in town, this is a huge blessing, especially at 4 way stops when cyclists think they're exempt from the rules everyone else has to adhere to.
How is this a blessing? A bicycle ridden on the sidewalk at above a jogging pace is a hazard to everyone. It fucks pedestrians over because well it is a bike moving fast that can't stop on a dime and can hit them. It sucks for cars because a bicycle on the sidewalk is hard to see. There's a lot of poo poo blocking the view from the road and you have to deal with traffic going both direction on a sidewalk. Further, no one is looking for something going 10+ mph on the sidewalk. It is also more dangerous for the cyclist for the same reasons it is for the car and the pedestrian, and also because thanks to driveways there are even more places they can be hit. So legal or no, if you're over the age of line 10 you have no business on the sidewalks on a bike.