Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012
nothing matters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Hey guys! At least we don't have to deal with an 8-person SCOTUS for four years! Guys! Guys?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Hey guys! At least we don't have to deal with an 8-person SCOTUS for four years! Guys! Guys?

Hopefully we do.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
I had to unbookmark this thread a few months ago because of all the triumphant gloating and outrage after Scalia died and Obama appointed what's his name. Any interesting developments since then?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Number Ten Cocks posted:

I had to unbookmark this thread a few months ago because of all the triumphant gloating and outrage after Scalia died and Obama appointed what's his name. Any interesting developments since then?

Trump gets to appoint Scalia's replacement. And probably Ginsberg's.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Number Ten Cocks posted:

An honest thank you for reminding me that scalia's still dead so it's not all bad

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

awesmoe posted:

An honest thank you for reminding me that scalia's still dead so it's not all bad

Say “howdy” to Associate Justice Rafael Edward Cruz.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Noctone posted:

So what happens after Trump gets curbstomped on Tuesday, does Garland get fast-tracked or are they going to conjure up some other bullshit reason to stall?

Oh, thanks for this update.

Deceptive Thinker posted:

If the Senate goes blue as well, yes, they will rush him through

Also good to know.

Kloaked00 posted:

I can't see how this is going to work out well for Republicsns at all. If I were Garland, I'd be pissed at them for jerking me around for months, and being just plain disrespectful to me and the bench. Certainly would make me less inclined to strongly consider conservative philosophies when making rulings

Yikes, sounds like the Republicans are in a bad way.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Platystemon posted:

Say “howdy” to Associate Justice Rafael Edward Cruz.
Yeah trump loves cruz so this is really likely
Also, regardless, scalia's still dead

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I can't wait to see Chief Justice Yiannopoulos's jurisprudence.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

awesmoe posted:

You misunderstand him. He's gloating because a Scalia clone is gonna get appointed. This guy unironically supports republican bathroom bills.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

awesmoe posted:

Yeah trump loves cruz so this is really likely
Also, regardless, scalia's still dead

Not that it will matter with Republicans having everything and Cheeto Benito in office ruled by Pence. We're going to be getting at least one person worse and likely more unless Ginsberg holds on for some possible improvements in 2020.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Well, I hope Democrats filibuster as hard as Republicans would have, and if the filibuster gets abolished, at least when Democrats are back in control they'll be able to say they weren't the ones who did it.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
More like Democat

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

galenanorth posted:

they'll be able to say they weren't the ones who did it.

This is worth nothing.

See: no punishment for GOP obstructionism of SCOTUS appointment.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Platystemon posted:

This is worth nothing.

See: no punishment for GOP obstructionism of SCOTUS appointment.

The Democrats are to fractious to unite into the wall of obstruction that the GOP has. They also don't have nearly as strong a propaganda media arm as the right wingers do. We can hope that they somehow do manage to organize enough to block of the worst of it.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Number Ten Cocks posted:

We are about embark on an exciting journey into the unknown. Gonna find out just how efficiently congress can work and fill the judicial vacancies with just the most unexpected characters.

China's Global Warming gambit has worked, we have lost the mandate of heaven and will now live in interesting times.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Now that I think about it, Obama's stacking of the lower benches hilariously comes to naught now that SCOTUS is going to have fun setting precedent with 5-4 or 6-3 conservative majorities.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It could go 7–2.

SCOTUS will have conservative majority till the 2030s.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Platystemon posted:

SCOTUS will have conservative majority till the 2030s.

At an absolute bare minimum, and I think that's an extremely generous estimate because they are going to nominate people who have at least 30 years of life expectancy left.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I wonder if we'll see a redo of FDR's court packing scheme and the SCOTUS loosening the screw on the New Deal if this shakes out into a massive liberal majority in the other two branches in 2020 as the pendulum swings. The Hoover comparisons are too tempting as well.

In any case we've basically entered the Twilight Zone. It feels like the court getting neutered or scrapped is more likely than a liberal SCOTUS majority, in the 20-30 year timescale.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
I guess the democrats are going to be glad they didn't invoke the nuclear option. Bad news is maybe the republicans will :(

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

MrBond posted:

I guess the democrats are going to be glad they didn't invoke the nuclear option. Bad news is maybe the republicans will :(

The Republicans absolutely will, given that it’s even necessary. There is zero downside.

Allaniis
Jan 22, 2011

Platystemon posted:

The Republicans absolutely will, given that it’s even necessary. There is zero downside.
Definitely. They won't lose midterms, so why not do it. Supreme Court is can affect the county for 30+ years.

The amount of people's ignorance regarding the votes needed to confirm once new Congress is in is really sad.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

evilweasel posted:

You can always recess appoint justices, it's just never made sense to do it.

Might make sense now.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Platystemon posted:

Yeah the filibuster for these nominees was dead anyway, even if clinton had won she wasn't going to cross 60 senators so the first time a hypothetical clinton nom got blocked they would have just done away with it.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Geostomp posted:

Not that it will matter with Republicans having everything and Cheeto Benito in office ruled by Pence. We're going to be getting at least one person worse and likely more unless Ginsberg holds on for some possible improvements in 2020.

I am really, wholeheartedly hoping she does.

Hope is a lie.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Comedy option: republicans gently caress up so bad they lose the senate in two years, democrats actually grow half a spine instead of tepidly refusing to play by the rules of the game and claim that a President should not be able to appoint a justice if the public sentiment has shifted

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

I'm drawing a blank, does a recess appointment last until the end of the year or the end of the session?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

duz posted:

I'm drawing a blank, does a recess appointment last until the end of the year or the end of the session?

Until the next session of the senate.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Obama won't recess. He believes in the spirit of government too much.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Kobayashi posted:

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Kobayashi posted:

Oh I know, I just want to have the numbers right while I spin elaborate fantasies in my alcohol ridden mind.

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

how long do you predict before a federal abortion ban passes and it goes to the court to overturn rvw? first year?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Kobayashi posted:

Obama should, just as a statement that this is his nominee, recess appoint Garland and then submit Garland to the new senate.

They'll vote him down I'm guessing, but at least he'll get his vote and it'll be official that you need both the White House and the senate to confirm a judge.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Obama could absolutely recess Garland on his way out the door, but I think that would just end up getting a worse replacement sworn in. The best hope I have for the nation is that someone gets it in Trump's ear that it'll be good to just go ahead and re-submit Garland for the vacant seat.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

The best hope I have for the nation is that someone gets it in Trump's ear that it'll be good to just go ahead and re-submit Garland for the vacant seat.

Hahahahahahahahahaha

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

So, we lose equality in the following human rights:
-Marriage
-Womens rights
-Right to Vote (Voting Rights Act de-fanging)

Anything else?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Potato Salad posted:

So, we lose equality in the following human rights:
-Marriage
-Womens rights
-Right to Vote (Voting Rights Act de-fanging)

Anything else?

Probably collective bargaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Please tell me the liberal justices (and maybe Kennedy) can get secret service protection because I legit fear for their safety if any major rulings somehow go 5-4 against the GOP in the future.

galenanorth posted:

Well, I hope Democrats filibuster as hard as Republicans would have, and if the filibuster gets abolished, at least when Democrats are back in control they'll be able to say they weren't the ones who did it.

:lol: you think the filibuster's going to exist next year. Aren't you precious.

:smith:

Party Plane Jones posted:

Might make sense now.

Garland wouldn't accept since it's temporary and the Senate would just immediately recess once Trump's in office since that'd kick out Garland from the SCOTUS and DC circuit. Obama probably won't even recess appoint the non-SCOTUS vacancies and if/when he doesn't that'd be an unfortunate yet ironically fitting end to the man of Hope And Change who planned to work with the GOP instead of treat them as the hostile force they are.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Obama could absolutely recess Garland on his way out the door, but I think that would just end up getting a worse replacement sworn in. The best hope I have for the nation is that someone gets it in Trump's ear that it'll be good to just go ahead and re-submit Garland for the vacant seat.

You have a better chance of seeing Trump appoint one of his own lawyers or some rear end in a top hat like Guilani, Christie, or Roy Moore.