Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

DarkHorse posted:

I think it's just the limitations of the typical definition of the pH calculation

log(x) is undefined or doesn't exist for x < 0, so it would be easy to think pH is as well since that function is used to calculate it (and it's unlikely anyone would have experience with superacids or bases to know better)

But that's not true at all.

The simplified version of the pH calculation is the negative of the base-10 log of the H+ concentration in moles per liter. I'll just write "log" for base-10 log from now on. If we take -log(0.1) for a 0.1 M concentration, we get pH of 1. If we put in the formula for a 1M concentration, it's -log(1) = 0. And if we take the formula for a 10M concentration, it's -log(10) = -1.

As you can see I get to zero and negative pHs without ever plugging in negatives in the log formula. You're swapping things around. It's not like you need to use a weird version of the formula for that, it works for the base formula. And it's not even that hard to get to these values with regular strong acids such as sulfuric or hydrochloric. Just get a big enough concentration and it will happen naturally. No weird superacids needed.

There is actually a hard limit, by the way: the amount of water molecules in a liter of water (at STP) is 55 mol. That means a concentration of > 55 M in water is literally impossible, by that time you would've replaced all the water molecules with the solvent (the real number would be a bit different because of density changes when you dissolve stuff but let's not make it too complicated here). That means the lowest possible pH using the standard formula would be -log(55) = -1.74 (at STP). If you see any number below that it can't possibly be an actual pH. It's probably the result of a specialized formula to compare superacids or something. And as you can get the pH of a basic solution by using the same formula for the OH- concentration and substracting that from 14, the upper limit for pH would be 14 - - 1.74 = 15.74 (at STP).

Edit: like the previous poster said, these numbers are only valid when we work in a watery solution. It's possible to have an acid/base balance in many other solvents but then things get complicated because your notion of "neutral" shifts. For instance, a "neutral" solution in ammonia as solvent is what we'd normally consider very basic, and would probably burn you if you stick your hand in it. One use for this shifted notion of neutral is that it gives you an experimental way to find out the acidity constants of strong acids and strong bases (that by definition all fully dissolve in water, so in water they're impossible to compare).

Carbon dioxide has a new favorite as of 13:12 on Aug 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Carbon dioxide posted:

I don't know if it's related, but in Dutch, constant complainers are sometimes referred to as "vinegar pissers".

Makes more sense than the English "full of piss and vinegar" meaning rowdy and energetic

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
can we get some graphs about acids and bases thanks in advance

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/statsepi/status/1299616793703710720

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
There is no way that the number of people who describe an eleven o’clock “food consumption occasion” “lunch” is that low.

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
Think again, it’s coming from the dinner-at-six crowd. Those people are capable of anything!

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Brunch?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Does anyone want to play "guess what country the people in that graph live in"?

Netherlands

Teriyaki Hairpiece has a new favorite as of 16:32 on Aug 29, 2020

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

No loving way dinner is at 18:00, that's the afternoon snack. Dinner is at 21:00 at the earliest.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
ITT: Spaniards

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
11 AM lunch and 5 PM dinner for me thanks

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Alkydere posted:

For me sometime after 2015.

Got a math minor and flunked out of Electrical Engineering after mastering Fourier (and sense forgetting it) but somehow can still do basic arithmatic in my head with relative speed that a lot of my peers couldn't and still can't. Probably why I flunked out and got a degree in general studies instead :v:

I did two years of engineering in college before I switched to political science+5 different minors and the quick math brain is something I still have too. It’s super handy when I have to calculate a dose of a medication using milligrams/kg and have the patients weight in pounds. Doing endless unit conversions has turned it basically into a reflex.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Chin Strap posted:

11 AM lunch and 5 PM dinner for me thanks

Vale Vejo

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I did two years of engineering in college before I switched to political science+5 different minors and the quick math brain is something I still have too. It’s super handy when I have to calculate a dose of a medication using milligrams/kg and have the patients weight in pounds. Doing endless unit conversions has turned it basically into a reflex.

convert this into metric please

https://twitter.com/lunasorcery/status/1299409957541023744

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Gotta find how many people in any given year are born with the initials “k m”.

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
Before reading the description of the metric I thought they were multiplying the average body length of a newborn by the number of births per hour. Like, in a if-you-lined-all-these-newborns-end-to-end kind of deal.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

HerStuddMuffin posted:

Before reading the description of the metric I thought they were multiplying the average body length of a newborn by the number of births per hour. Like, in a if-you-lined-all-these-newborns-end-to-end kind of deal.

:same:

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

what the heck happened in the 80s

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Laymen thinking pH doesn't go below 0 or above 14 wrap around to being correct because there are better physical properties for predicting interactions at those points.

Whoever started putting "pH" of superacids in the paper's press release should be shot, laymen understanding be damned.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

We got fed up with people trying to insist that we name our kids "Kilometers".

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

wait i didn't read the post

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

That's fine, but how many were named Miles Prower?

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Miles O'Keeffe's first film role was in 1981. :shrug:

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Tuesday, November 24, 1992.

Sonic Twosday.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

HerStuddMuffin posted:

Sort of like the statistic that an average head is producing an inch of hair every minute (or five feet per hour).

Source: https://xkcd.com/2316/

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Powered Descent posted:

Sort of like the statistic that an average head is producing an inch of hair every minute (or five feet per hour).

Source: https://xkcd.com/2316/

Hair is pretty strong, that could be a lucrative option for the market savy millennial.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

HerStuddMuffin posted:

(11.979 babies)/(1000 people)*(328200000 people in US)*(19.69 in/baby)/(12 in/ft)/(5280 ft/mi)/(365 days/non-leap year)/(24 hours/day)

= 0.1395 miles of baby per hour in the US in 2019.

Interesting that we get more baby Miles per hour than baby miles.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Lot of big Miles O'Brien fans from the instant The Next Generation aired

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen
Somebody make an edit with another, much longer bar in bright green, with „The Matrix“ as label

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Russia: 3x better than ancient Egypt!

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Neco posted:

Somebody make an edit with another, much longer bar in bright green, with „The Matrix“ as label

It's not quite what you asked for but I think it works better.

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen

Che Delilas posted:

It's not quite what you asked for but I think it works better.

Awesome and fair enough. Now you could add some „Creative X-Fi“ on top of the matrix bar so it‘s even better than the US

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Neco posted:

Awesome and fair enough. Now you could add some „Creative X-Fi“ on top of the matrix bar so it‘s even better than the US

Sorry but I'm out of human energy for the day

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Che Delilas posted:

Sorry but I'm out of human energy for the day

as are we all, friend

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

Total BS, where's the hole left by the Christian dark ages?

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
Not to mention the Finno-Korean Hyperwar.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

SerialKilldeer posted:

Total BS, where's the hole left by the Christian dark ages?

This but counterstrike. Does anyone have that one on hand? I wanted to show it to a friend but didn't manage to google myself to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/SwipeWright/status/1302512247315419136