Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Wipfmetz posted:

Were they at the pub or how should I imagine that scene?

Yes, it says "public house"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The ancient egyptians murdered all the hippos in the lower Nile before extinctioning species was even cool. Give no quarter to those monsters.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The ancient egyptians murdered all the hippos in the lower Nile before extinctioning species was even cool. Give no quarter to those monsters.

Taweret can go screw herself.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

St_Ides posted:

Hippo kills more humans than any other mammal in Africa. They live in the water and leave at night, if a human accidentally gets between them and the water they’ll bite them in to three pieces in a single chomp. They have the strongest bite pressure of all mammals. They’re extremely paranoid when they’re out of the water, due to their vulnerability. They may look like giant balls of fat, but they can run 50kph (35mph). They are absolutely not to be hosed with.

Cape Buffalo does kill people but not as commonly as hippos. They’re less likely to stomp you, unless you happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. As long as they have an escape route and you don’t startle them, they’ll probably just move away. Unfortunately they’re also quiet AF and easy to accidentally startle or run in to at night. Avoid.

Elephants are extremely dangerous when you’re on foot. They’ll stomp you without thinking twice, and they’ll follow you and get you, and they are much, much faster than you. They’re really, really smart and understandably have a fear and hatred of humans on foot. Fortunately, they are not stealthy. They’re loud and know they’re not vulnerable, so as long as you have some awareness of your surroundings, an elephant encounter isn’t likely. The nice thing about elephants at night is that if you know they’re outside your tent, you’re probably the safest you’ll ever be from other animals because every other animal (and human) respects them and stays the hell away.

Leopards are also extremely dangerous. They’re not likely to attack a full grown human unless they’re in the wrong place at the wrong time. A child they will absolutely see as prey. You will never know the leopard is there until it’s too late. They are absolutely invisible and silent, but usually won’t kill an adult. Sure will maul the gently caress out of you though. If you know there’s a leopard in the area, don’t be wandering on your own.

During the day you’re generally safe from all of the above, as they’ll stay away from human activity. The above were the things I was most concerned about encountering at night. I spent quite a few years living in the Masai Mara in Kenya, usually in a tent. When I lived there only one person I had any connection to got killed by an animal; a friend/coworker’s son was walking home late at night with a friend, after drinking and encountered an elephant. The friend ran, the son didn’t.

Closest (I’m aware of) coming close to an animal in the dark was a buffalo when I was getting up for a balloon flight. Came out of my tent and turned my flashlight towards a friends tent (opposite the direction I was heading) and saw the bright reflective eyes of a buffalo maybe 10 meters away. I went back inside and waited a minute, then checked again and it had moved away, so I went where I was going.

The Adventurer Goon has logged on :stare:

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Watch your mouth when you speak of the Divine Hippopotamus

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

verbal enema posted:

Watch your mouth when you speak of the Divine Hippopotamus

Jfc no one cares about your mom

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
i do :c

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I've never been around dangerous animals other than coyotes and they just run away like little shits.

ubachung
Jul 30, 2006

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I've never been around dangerous animals other than coyotes and they just run away like little shits.

How do you manage to avoid humans?

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

ubachung posted:

he's a goon

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ubachung posted:

They consider soap a dangerous animal.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

iwentdoodie posted:

Jfc no one cares about your mom

Kinda the joke is that the Egyptians had a god of motherhood who's a big constantly pregnant hippo lady with huge saggy tits

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Kinda the joke is that the Egyptians had a god of motherhood who's a big constantly pregnant hippo lady with huge saggy tits

Haha I wonder if there's any pictures of it haha.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Haha I wonder if there's any pictures of it haha.
Turn off your monitor

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

Turn off your monitor

OK...

e: HUBBA HUBBA

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Ghost Leviathan posted:

We don't care about yours either

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

iwentdoodie posted:

We don't care about yours either

look not all of us are brave enough to have a pic of their mom as an av quit showin' off

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
In the 1570s, England was looking to sell ammunition and firearms to Muslim-ruled Morocco in exchange for saltpeter. Queen Elizabeth sent merchant Edmund Hogan to seal the deal. Fearing the diplomatic implications of selling arms to Muslims, she produced written instructions explicitly condemning any arms sales while making it clear to Hogan through verbal instructions that his mission was to get friendly with ruler Abd al-Malik and secure the trade.

Kevin DuBrow has a new favorite as of 22:22 on Jun 11, 2022

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
She sounds like a smart lady. Perhaps "immoral", but what is morality anyway. Being a monarch or other dictator is immoral in itself.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

(Secundinus the fool)
Basically Secundinus was such an rear end in a top hat that he pissed some guy off enough to chisel an insult onto Hadrian's wall so that future generations would know that Secundinus was a fool.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

also :dong:

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Alhazred posted:

(Secundinus the fool)
Basically Secundinus was such an rear end in a top hat that he pissed some guy off enough to chisel an insult onto Hadrian's wall so that future generations would know that Secundinus was a fool.

Ars Tech gave a more accurate translation:

quote:

Experts in Roman epigraphy recognized the lettering as a mangled version of Secundinus cacator, which translates into (ahem) “Secundinus, the shitter."

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Pupu caca.

Melaneus
Aug 24, 2007

Here to make your dreams and nightmares come true.

Deteriorata posted:

Ars Tech gave a more accurate translation:

Let it be known through the land that defacation will now be called "doing a Secundinus" or "a number 2"

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Can we just take a moment to appreciate that Secundinius's parents were so intensely Roman that they gave up on naming their kids after one, who was almost certainly Dadsname Junior

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

They did that with daughters:

quote:

Another factor was probably that the praenomen was not usually necessary to distinguish between women within the family. Because a Roman woman did not change her nomen when she married, her nomen alone was usually sufficient to distinguish her from every other member of the family. As Latin names had distinctive masculine and feminine forms, the nomen was sufficient to distinguish a daughter from both of her parents and all of her brothers. Thus, there was no need for a personal name unless there were multiple sisters in the same household.[2]

When this occurred, praenomina could be and frequently were used to distinguish between sisters. However, it was also common to identify sisters using a variety of names, some of which could be used as either praenomina or cognomina. For example, if Publius Servilius had two daughters, they would typically be referred to as Servilia Major and Servilia Minor. If there were more daughters, the eldest might be called Servilia Prima or Servilia Maxima;[xii] younger daughters as Servilia Secunda, Tertia, Quarta, etc. All of these names could be used as praenomina, preceding the nomen, but common usage from the later Republic onward was to treat them as personal cognomina; when these names appear in either position, it is frequently impossible to determine whether they were intended as praenomina or cognomina.[11][18]

I haven't seen it it sons, but anyway he was probably of the Secundia family (Secundius in singular):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secundia_gens

Side note: My great grandfather was named Otto because he was the eighth child ("otte" in Danish)

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Carthag Tuek posted:

I haven't seen it it sons, but anyway he was probably of the Secundia family (Secundius in singular):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secundia_gens

Side note: My great grandfather was named Otto because he was the eighth child ("otte" in Danish)

Did he become obsessed with octopuses and fighting human arachnid hybrids?

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

Carthag Tuek posted:

Was the oldest daughter suddenly (re-)named after the birth of her first and then her second sister?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Wipfmetz posted:

Was the oldest daughter suddenly (re-)named after the birth of her first and then her second sister?

If she was solo wouldn't she just be Servilia, then either Servilia Major, Servilia Prima, etc. She doesn't stop being first when the younger ones come in. The Servilia part is the only important part. :agesilaus: :biotruths: And no they didn't swap from like Maxima to Prima, Maxima still means first. Personal choice.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Wipfmetz posted:

She would just be Servilia until the birth of her sister, at which time she became Servilia Major (like how monarchs are just King Dave until another King Dave is born at which point they retrospectively become Dave I and II). If any more sisters were born the first two would be renamed Servilia Maxima and Secunda respectively and any subsequent sisters would be added onto the bottom (Third, Fourth etc).

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Gaius Marius posted:

Did he become obsessed with octopuses and fighting human arachnid hybrids?

He was a blacksmith with an interest in science, so... maybe?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Also the Roman names are basically just "the Miller girl" getting extended to "the oldest Miller girl"

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

If someone is called Dracula Noncecongressman Sr. Athey weren't called Sr. before their kid was born.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Please, Mr. Noncecongressman is my father. Call me Dracula

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

Carthag Tuek posted:

Also the Roman names are basically just "the Miller girl" getting extended to "the oldest Miller girl"
I can work with that.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Mill her!? I hardly know her!

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
I don't have any contemporary sources but according to Edwardian Farm up through the early 20th century it wasn't unheard of for chimneys to be cleaned by dropping a chicken or other fowl down it, and the mad scrabbling of their claws would scrape the sides on their way down.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Reading about 19th century Danish youth get-togethers. They could often get quite unhinged, and the authorities adjusted the law several times, and eventually they required a permit from the local reeve.

Anyway, one activity was trille julekage (to roll christmas cake), in which a young man and a young woman fully dressed laid on top of each other on a table, and the other participants "kneaded the dough", so to speak.

I guess the mormons took it a step further.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

God drat Danes and their audience participation dryhumping!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Kevin DuBrow posted:

I don't have any contemporary sources but according to Edwardian Farm up through the early 20th century it wasn't unheard of for chimneys to be cleaned by dropping a chicken or other fowl down it, and the mad scrabbling of their claws would scrape the sides on their way down.

I'd believe it, though I suspect it wasn't discovered by accident. Though it might have been.