Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

twistedmentat posted:

You can see my lineup here
https://swgoh.gg/p/958318655/

But that seems to be the fundamental mechanic i'm missing, power not being a good indicator of your fleet.

Also, your fleet has, like... no synergy at all, and you're missing several of the key ships that really make the top tier fleets go.

Given what you already have invested in, my advice for working with what you have right now is:

1) get Hound's Tooth into your starting lineup and out of your reinforcements. Make Ebon Hawk a reinforcement. EH has an absolutely top tier reinforcement ability (aoe dispel will remove taunts, or the enemy HanFalcon's 'can't touch me' bullshit, which will in turn let you get kills on key enemy ships), while HT up front will let you stay alive long enough to benefit from that.

2) Phantom, Ghost, and Slave One don't do much for you under Thrawn reinforce. Some alternatives to consider:

Plo Koon - you'll need to gear him up to gear 8 or 9, but at that level, and with the reinforcement ability on his ship maxed, you can call him in as a reinforcement to cleanse all debuffs from your ships, heal everyone, and then slap a fresh taunt on your tank of choice (or hand out some free turn meter to everyone)

Anakin's Starfighter. - Hits like a truck in general, but as a reinforcement, will come in, apply expose to all enemies, and then use an AOE to pop all of those exposes for tons of damage all around. Very very good.

Xanadu Blood - You'll need to max the reinforcement ability, again, but this is a great ship to bring in as long as your Hound's Tooth is still alive - he'll give HT Retribution, which allows it to counterattack, cleansing any debuffs on it each time (like annoying buff immunity!). It also provides a high uptime source of Breach so your HT can keep taunting, and a decent amount of damage.

Cassian's U Wing - an alternative to your Ebon Hawk; you lose the target lock denial shenanigans of EH, but the reinforce ability provides the same mass dispel as Ebon hawk, and then the UWing has an ability to call your heavy hitter for an assist which can help you get a kill right after bringing it in. This probably isn't a sub worth doing with your current fleet, but it's one worth considering if you unlock Han's Falcon and transition to a rebel based lineup.

Longer term, if you really want a credible fleet you'll need to work on one or more of the following:

Get Han's Millennium Falcon unlocked. This mostly requires getting your Bounty Hunter ships up to snuff. (Read, Hound's Tooth and Xanadu Blood which will do most of the work for you). Once you have the HanFalcon, you can do a very credible rebel fleet with that, Hound's Tooth, and Biggs under an Ackbar lead, reinforcing with Cassian's U Wing, Phantom II, Plo Koon, and Ghost

Boost your Geonosian Pilots and ships. The good news here is that Geonosians are all around superstars that will do a lot of work for you in every game mode. Spy and Soldier are also very easy to gear up. Sun Fac needs a lot of carbantis, but isn't awful by modern standards either. All three Geonosians as a starting fleet is an extremely solid lineup with tons of synergy that will work under many different capital ships. Probably the most accessible and widely usable fleet you have access to, and will cleanly transition into a malevolence lead droid fleet when the time comes for that.

And finally, your choice of either Negotiator or Malevolence. This takes the GET II tokens that you're probably only getting a trickle of from TB/TW in QGJ, so they'll take a very long time to farm up. The bad news on top of that is that both also need several other ships to really shine. The good news is that everything you need to invest in to make them work is good stuff that you'll use all over the game. Either way though, this is a very long term play and not as worth worrying about.

tl;dr: Put HT in your starting lineup for now. Get Han's Falcon and/or work on your Geonosians.

Chevy Slyme fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Oct 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea I've been buying Negotiator shards when i can.

I'll switch out EH for HT, and I've been trying to do the other stuff (though I've been working on Rey's Falcon currently), but ships are so incedibly show in comparison to characters, which is already slow as hell.

And i'm more interested in beating PVE fleet battles than the PVP. I know i'll never get high in that because I will never whale.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

twistedmentat posted:

Yea I've been buying Negotiator shards when i can.

I'll switch out EH for HT, and I've been trying to do the other stuff (though I've been working on Rey's Falcon currently), but ships are so incedibly show in comparison to characters, which is already slow as hell.

And i'm more interested in beating PVE fleet battles than the PVP. I know i'll never get high in that because I will never whale.

All of the advice I’ve given is just as true for PVE fleet battles.

Long before a lot of the current top tier ships were in game, the go to fleet got all of the current fleet battles on that board was Tarkin + Geonosians with Darth Vader as the first reinforcement and Plo Koon Second.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

twistedmentat posted:

You can see my lineup here
https://swgoh.gg/p/958318655/

But that seems to be the fundamental mechanic i'm missing, power not being a good indicator of your fleet.

oh man, you gotta put that hound's tooth out front and reinforce the ebon hawk.

also ghost and slave 1 don't make a lot of sense here. unless ghost is your 4th reinforce.

Phantom is a good ship anywhere as long as you max that reinforce.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Oct 26, 2020

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Having a similar fleet issue and looking for advice. Stuck on 5-3 Normal. It's annoying because you get a 7* level 85 squad decently geared in squad battles and you're able to complete the holotables. Have a 7* level 85 fleet and you're nowhere.

https://swgoh.gg/p/448144978/

Teva
Feb 22, 2007

I would get Geo's going. I see you have them all unlocked, just not leveled or geared. As someone said earlier, a good fleet to get through the table content is Tarkin with HT/Geos and vader/plo reinforce. Tarkin/Bugs also going to be useful in our TB's going forward, that's what I use in the first fleet phase anyways.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy
Geos also stay useful into the meta(ish) with an upgrade to malevolence cap ship

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

KDdidit posted:

Having a similar fleet issue and looking for advice. Stuck on 5-3 Normal. It's annoying because you get a 7* level 85 squad decently geared in squad battles and you're able to complete the holotables. Have a 7* level 85 fleet and you're nowhere.

https://swgoh.gg/p/448144978/

Drop biggs and the Imperial TIE. You don't need 3 tanks anymore. Pick up the geo sol/spy ships and roll with the rest.

Seems like your Executrix is also not 7* yet, so that will help whenever you get around to it. Chimera is generally a superior ship, imo.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Chilichimp posted:

Drop biggs and the Imperial TIE. You don't need 3 tanks anymore. Pick up the geo sol/spy ships and roll with the rest.

Seems like your Executrix is also not 7* yet, so that will help whenever you get around to it. Chimera is generally a superior ship, imo.

I’m sitting on enough ship credits to take Chimera with gear XII Thrawn from 0-85 or take the 2 Geo ships I haven’t leveled at all (5* Spy with 6* ship and 4* Soldier with 7* ship) to 85. Which would be the better investment?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
sort your ships out first, and switch commanders when able.

The Drifter
Apr 21, 2006
Any openings in a guild? Just started playing, ally code is 935-871-773.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

The Drifter posted:

Any openings in a guild? Just started playing, ally code is 935-871-773.

Come on over to the discord. https://discord.gg/a34WpCXv We should be able to get you into Qui GoonJinn.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I have been immortalized in the OP. It's all been worth it.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

So the Finalizer event...what's the deal with that thing? The bonus tier is the only way to get shards for the Finalizer after getting it to 4 stars, right? And it's hard as hell. Do I just need to level the poo poo out of Hux to do anything with it? Because the crux of it seems to be that my Finalizer is no good, because it's only 4 stars, but this is the only way to get it to be any better. My regular ships are all 7 star and the characters for them are high leveled, but I'm lucky if I can kill one of the fuckers they put against me, let alone more than one.

My Hux is really underleved, only 4 starred and gear VIII (he was on my list for gearing up for First Order, but not quite yet), but he is Zeta'd. Is that my issue? I assume it is. This event kicks my rear end every time it comes around.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

thrawn527 posted:

So the Finalizer event...what's the deal with that thing? The bonus tier is the only way to get shards for the Finalizer after getting it to 4 stars, right? And it's hard as hell. Do I just need to level the poo poo out of Hux to do anything with it? Because the crux of it seems to be that my Finalizer is no good, because it's only 4 stars, but this is the only way to get it to be any better. My regular ships are all 7 star and the characters for them are high leveled, but I'm lucky if I can kill one of the fuckers they put against me, let alone more than one.

My Hux is really underleved, only 4 starred and gear VIII (he was on my list for gearing up for First Order, but not quite yet), but he is Zeta'd. Is that my issue? I assume it is. This event kicks my rear end every time it comes around.

Hux is the only character in the game that can be taken to gear 12 before he's 7 star; take advantage of that, because

1) He's an incredible and incredibly useful character,
and
2) He makes your FO way better
and
3) it does help a lot with this event.

Beyond that though, strategy helps a ton here - make sure you are using all three FO ships in your starting lineup and not as reinforcements. You need them to go first to take control of the tempo and get the win.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

CaptainPsyko posted:

Beyond that though, strategy helps a ton here - make sure you are using all three FO ships in your starting lineup and not as reinforcements. You need them to go first to take control of the tempo and get the win.

Well holy poo poo, I didn't know that. I just beat it. Thanks!

And that gets me 10 shards until next time it comes around. But still, now I know how to do it.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

thrawn527 posted:

Well holy poo poo, I didn't know that. I just beat it. Thanks!

And that gets me 10 shards until next time it comes around. But still, now I know how to do it.

yeah, Finalizer with a full FO starting fleet has +45 Speed, which will let it go first and get Hunted out in time to really neuter the enemy Anakin and take control. And all of your FO ships start with their reinforcement abilities active on turn 0 too, meaning that KRU has afterburner, Kylo shuttle is removing TM from every enemy reinforcement (so they don't come in full), and your whole fleet gains 15% turn meter from FO Tie at the start

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Another important thing once you start using full FO starters is to restart if Silencer doesn't stun. Silencer should be going relatively quickly at the start, so you know immediately if you need to restart.

The Big D
Oct 3, 2002
Any openings? I haven't been in a guild in a while. It started becoming more chore and less fun so I took a few months away.

Ally Code: 143-656-787

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

The Big D posted:

Any openings? I haven't been in a guild in a while. It started becoming more chore and less fun so I took a few months away.

Ally Code: 143-656-787

We are on inviting you now

Edit: I invited you. Nice roster!

RC Cola fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jan 20, 2021

Teva
Feb 22, 2007

Also, join us in the discord! That's where most of the coordination happens and there are a bunch of neat tools there.

Teva fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jan 20, 2021

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy

Teva posted:

neat tools

He means memes

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

New game mode comes out March 1st. It looks neat.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

RC Cola posted:

New game mode comes out March 1st. It looks neat.

Appears to be a kind of darkest dungeon-esque game mode where you battle down different paths, making different choices that lock you out of other things.

This type of gameplay has pretty popular in indy-games and mobile games lately. Glad they're actually branching out.

Some minor deets:

https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/241766/the-galactic-conquest-begins-soon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPfvz22QU60

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Feb 25, 2021

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Any room in either of the guilds? Im pretty early in the game

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

vulturesrow posted:

Any room in either of the guilds? Im pretty early in the game

Hop on discord and we'll get you into QGJ

thrawn527 posted:

Come on over to the discord. https://discord.gg/a34WpCXv We should be able to get you into Qui GoonJinn.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I saw that the Razorcrest is coming soon.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

twistedmentat posted:

I saw that the Razorcrest is coming soon.

It's live now; it's a reward from the new Conquest mode. There's shards in the event loot box and also, you can use the currency from the event to buy shards in the new store (if they ever show up :mad:)

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

CaptainPsyko posted:

It's live now; it's a reward from the new Conquest mode. There's shards in the event loot box and also, you can use the currency from the event to buy shards in the new store (if they ever show up :mad:)

Oh boy another new store.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

twistedmentat posted:

Oh boy another new store.

And a new currency! And a new energy!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

CaptainPsyko posted:

And a new currency! And a new energy!

The actual battles aren't too bad, just more and more different things to keep track of.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I really like this game mode. I have no idea exactly why my Conquest mods are working like this, but I have a Jedi Knight Revan team with Grand Master Yoda and I can spam Masterstroke like 12 times in a row, and once I burn through protection, armor shred keeps stacking.

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress
The only thing I dislike is that your team gets none of the bonuses in each match (meaning going for a mirror match with both sides as the same faction to capitalize on "bounty hunters get + one million protection and for every 1 protection you do bonus damage" just gives it to the AI team, not yours. That's offset by the special mods and such though so it's not a real heartbreaker.

The only bonus I hate is the "All damage dealt to the Republic does the same to you, and hurts more the more you do it" which just seems really loving dumb.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

HebrewMagic posted:

The only thing I dislike is that your team gets none of the bonuses in each match (meaning going for a mirror match with both sides as the same faction to capitalize on "bounty hunters get + one million protection and for every 1 protection you do bonus damage" just gives it to the AI team, not yours. That's offset by the special mods and such though so it's not a real heartbreaker.

The only bonus I hate is the "All damage dealt to the Republic does the same to you, and hurts more the more you do it" which just seems really loving dumb.

Yes that sucks. I don't think you can die from the damage reflection though. So as long as they never take a turn you're good!

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

thrawn527 posted:

Any chance of a new invite link? It's from last year but expired. Just started playing.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

rizzen posted:

Any chance of a new invite link? It's from last year but expired. Just started playing.

Try this link: https://discord.gg/5PeWqYTyPX

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

Cheers, just hopped in. This game is pretty overwhelming haha

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I haven't played this game since sometime around 1q 2019. If I wanted to play, again, should I start from scratch?
My primary pvp team was a Jedi team with JK Revan leader, I think.
Logged in for a minute a few months back and didn't know wtf was going on.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

tadashi posted:

I haven't played this game since sometime around 1q 2019. If I wanted to play, again, should I start from scratch?

Hop in Discord and we can take a look and see. If you have Revan, it's probably not worth starting all the way from scratch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

tadashi posted:

Yeah don't start over.

"Just start over" is pretty bad advice in the age of the hyperdrive bundle... unless you buy the HD bundle, in which case it's worthwhile to start over.