Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Sagebrush posted:

I don't think anything changed. It's just getting traction now for some reason.

It's still okay to say "Muslim cab drivers are all rapists" because adding the profession qualifier negates the protection afforded by reference to their religion.

Actually, one thing has changed. They have now added age to the collection of protected categories. Which is good, because it means you can no longer get away with saying "black children need to be lynched", but it also means that you can now be banned for saying anything about old white men, as well as white men in general.

'Rich and Poor White Men are Trash'

/Facebook mod sweats profusely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

bob dobbs is dead posted:

lol i searched marklogic up properly
the highest profile project made with marklogic was the ACA healthcare sign up site
the one that crashed and burned
lol
just lol

e: wait, was it the one that crashed and burned? let me read up more
e2: yep, it was the one

but oracle poo poo sucked harder, as oracle poo poo tends to do
lol

e3: gently caress lol marklogic was originally 100% an XML based db
just lol at your loving poor life decisions

if you define pulling that dumpster fire of a project out of the dumpster, getting it online in a super short timeline, and continuing to run the project 4-5 years later as crashing and burning then yeah, sure

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

dookie

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Rex-Goliath posted:

if you define pulling that dumpster fire of a project out of the dumpster, getting it online in a super short timeline, and continuing to run the project 4-5 years later as crashing and burning then yeah, sure

weren't you guys the original and initial db vendors

yeah, upon research, yeah you were

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
jack dorsey: so i guess we'll get around to doing something about all those actual nazis harassing people on our service

actual nazis: well actually, we're the victims here

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
i don't recall hearing anything about solar FREAKIN' roadways lately so i went looking for some news

don't recall if this was discussed, from march:

http://dailycaller.com/2017/03/07/americas-first-solar-roadway-is-a-total-disaster/

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

bob dobbs is dead posted:

weren't you guys the original and initial db vendors

yeah, upon research, yeah you were

yeah of course? what they wanted to do was essentially impossible with a relational db

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

laziness pays off now instead of retirement age like an ira

i’ve been putting off bringing all of these physical stock certificates into the bank for them to liquidate and add to the investment account, since i’d hafta drive into sf to do so and spend all day in the fancy merrill lynch tolkien to some rear end in a top hat

might just order a firebox from amazon instead

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
oh look the fuckin weather channel is fuckin doing it again

and those names are all terrible too

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

we’ll see, but nice signoff in the article lol

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

https://twitter.com/bcmerchant/status/919256415700631552

:thunk:

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

Rex-Goliath posted:

yeah of course? what they wanted to do was essentially impossible with a relational db

What was it that they wanted to do that's impossible with a normal, err, sorry, I meant relational db?

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

this won't work because the problem isn't that they don't have enough rules, or that the rules aren't good enough, it's that they don't apply them and also take a 'beep boop what is human interaction' approach to it

ffs, they already flag nazi poo poo that they legally have to block in france and germany. it would take ≈5 minutes to flip the switch for everybody else

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Sagebrush posted:

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

im the coke pinky

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Fiedler posted:

What was it that they wanted to do that's impossible with a normal, err, sorry, I meant relational db?

essentially impossible. yes if you wanted to hire an army of top-tier oracle consultants like oregon did you may have been able to pull it off if you managed it better than they did. in all likelihood it would have actually crashed and burned just like oregon hix did. it's just a matter of choosing the right tool for the job.

marklogic's primary strength is the fact that it's schemaless which allows you to quickly refactor data as requirements change. if you have a project where you need to start building before you even know what your data is going to look like and will likely change multiple times then the schemaless model is probably your best bet. or if you're dealing with integrating dozens or hundreds of different sources that all are unique snowflakes that don't want to cooperate with following a central model.

they interviewed chao a few years after the aca rollout on this stuff:

https://www.informationweek.com/strategic-cio/healthcaregov-hard-earned-lessons-for-cios/d/d-id/1324456?page_number=1

quote:

Among the technology decisions that has led to long-term stability and success for the project was the choice of a noSQL database backend instead of a more traditional relational backend, according to Chao. The selection of the vendor MarkLogic provided the flexibility that was needed to develop a system that was changing even as it was created.

When Chao was creating this system, it was still unclear which US states would build their own exchanges or marketplaces. He knew he would have to integrate with the Medicaid system, even though it wasn't going to put up its own exchange. Chao ticked off other considerations -- premium tax credits, household composition aspects, authoritative sources of data, IRS information, Social Security information, and lawful presence information. The law stipulated that all these upstream systems and authoritative sources needed to be integrated into all these downstream processes.

"With relational models you have to have a very good logical physical model to work with, which means you have to have a lot of the requirements known up front. Otherwise you are constantly refactoring. NoSQL, MarkLogic in this case, allows you to adapt to those changes over time and be able to adjust how you are going to capture, process, store, and disseminate that data downstream to other processing entities, as well as into a warehouse environment."

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

my bitter bi rival posted:

im the coke pinky

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

lol if you let employers pull your credit before you have an offer in hand

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Sagebrush posted:

Wilbur Toby Frankie

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

christ that reminds me of an NPR story they did recently about old people who have no other option than to "retire" into an RV like that, and how some of them plan to just "drive out into the desert and park and end it all" as their only out

e: actually the NPR story was the author of this article being interviewed iirc

Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Oct 14, 2017

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

muckswirler posted:

What about when the bathroom attendant makes enough money that when you're rude, instead of fearing for his job and cowering in vassalage, he can spit on your shoes and tell you to suck his dick as he grabs a few beers, pops the emergency slide and peaces out?

the old Sound Academy club had an attendant who would constantly yell out "If you touched your penis, you MUST wash your hands!" It was great and funny.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

CA passed a law just to tell vinod khosla to get hosed so martins beach is open again

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Progressive JPEG posted:

CA passed a law just to tell vinod khosla to get hosed so martins beach is open again

tbf i'm p loving worried if it goes to the us supreme court and throw out the california coastal act in a 5-4 utter garbage ruling

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
circuit 9 would throw it out so fast

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Rex-Goliath posted:

marklogic's primary strength is the fact that it's schemaless which allows you to quickly refactor data as requirements change. if you have a project where you need to start building before you even know what your data is going to look like and will likely change multiple times then the schemaless model is probably your best bet. or if you're dealing with integrating dozens or hundreds of different sources that all are unique snowflakes that don't want to cooperate with following a central model.

schemaless just means your schema is smeared across a bunch of application code instead of managed and enforced by your state store. a fantastic idea

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

the talent deficit posted:

schemaless just means your schema is smeared across a bunch of application code instead of managed and enforced by your state store. a fantastic idea

hm yeah after 15+ years of development we’ve never figured out how to handle this. drat. good point. I’ll let them know it’s time to wrap things up

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Progressive JPEG posted:

why did they need to pass a new law, didn't he flat out lose under existing law

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
lmao ofc he’s gonna keep being a poo poo as hard as possible

Representatives of venture capitalist Vinod Khosla told the commission that the gate blocking access to the road leading to picturesque Martins Beach is being reopened, but only between 9 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., and not every day, said commission spokeswoman Noaki Schwartz.

“The Coastal Act calls for full and regular access,” said Jennifer Savage, the California policy manager for the Surfrider Foundation. “That includes early morning surf and sunsets. Surfrider will not settle for less.”

i hope someone burns his house down while he’s sleeping

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Rex-Goliath posted:

hm yeah after 15+ years of development we’ve never figured out how to handle this. drat. good point. I’ll let them know it’s time to wrap things up

im glad you've come to your senses and accepted reality friend

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
can't they just eminent domain a road and parking lot?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
i wonder how often he has to have his house staff repair that gate

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

blugu64 posted:

can't they just eminent domain a road and parking lot?

that's actually what the new law is for. it speeds up the process and allows people to donate to a fund to finance the purchase.

asshat says it is worth $30M, California figures around $300k

edit: the law should have made the eminent domain fund funded by fines for non-permitted work in the area of the eminent domained parcel. fine his rear end for all the unauthorized work he did and slowly forcefully buy his property with his own money.

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Oct 15, 2017

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i hope someone burns his house down while he’s sleeping

how much would it cost for a drone that can carry a couple of road flares

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Shifty Pony posted:

asshat says it is worth $30M, California figures around $300k

specifically this is because the $300K figure is is only for the exact acreage under dispute while the $30M figure is the price he paid for the entire parcel including the private land and mansion

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Sagebrush posted:

how much would it cost for a drone that can carry a couple of road flares

i bet it’d be easier to bribe a house worker to plug in a circuit overloader someplace in the kitchen or laundry room

or near his bed

i mean that’s how i would do it if i hypothetically had learned anything about arson from firefighters i know

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i bet it’d be easier to bribe a house worker to plug in a circuit overloader someplace in the kitchen or laundry room

or near his bed

i mean that’s how i would do it if i hypothetically had learned anything about arson from firefighters i know

wouldn't that leave an incredibly obvious circuit overloader in place

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
apparently that’s one of the first things to go so no, unless you also put some accelerant in there for them to detect afterward

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug

ate all the Oreos posted:

wouldn't that leave an incredibly obvious circuit overloader in place

isn't that just like a couple resistors and a wire? it'd hardly look out of place in a 90,000 squarefoot mansion that is now ash and dust

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
also the dude doesn't even live there, he lives up in atherton bay so he doesn't have to commute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
lots of the time they can’t even tell precisely what caused it for an overload fire - it’s one of the harder methods to suss out in the first place

like that ghost ship warehouse fire was probably from electrical overload

• Locked thread