Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Jeff Goldblum posted:

Varnishing of any kind usually helps. Gel, acrylics, essentially the kinds of things ladies use in manicures for crazy nails. A diet with higher amounts of keratin, vitaminds B-12 C and D, and calcium also helps.

Generally, though, I would recommend using a proper thumbpick instead of the actual thumbnail. You have to change up the angle of your technique to compensate for the direction, but it was conceived to negate the wear and tear on your physical nails for classical and bluegrass guitar techniques and works just as well for bass.

Thats a shame. Switching between my thumbnail and finger playing was so fast and effortless. Gonna miss that versatility if i go with a pick.

Tho my fingernail is still recovering and maybe being able to go all out on a pick makes up for that i dunno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

A thumbpick is a pick that you attach to your thumb, sort of like a ring, except with a pick on it. It lets you use the thumb like you were doing, but without destroying your nail and/or having your sound muted by the fleshy part of the thumb. Link: https://m.thomann.de/dk/dunlop_daum...AAaAgF3EALw_wcB

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

BonHair posted:

A thumbpick is a pick that you attach to your thumb, sort of like a ring, except with a pick on it. It lets you use the thumb like you were doing, but without destroying your nail and/or having your sound muted by the fleshy part of the thumb. Link: https://m.thomann.de/dk/dunlop_daum...AAaAgF3EALw_wcB

Cool! Gonna look into this, thanks.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Crosspost from the guitar thread because I'm proud of the bass part on this songwriting challenge that Ola Englund posts every sunday.

https://soundcloud.com/lfranco321/ola-weekly-challenge-8

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Hello...

I got a bass yesterday

A Yamaha RBX260

My first bass :guitar:

Can I join you guys in here

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Hell yeah buddy

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Hey, I'm on almost the same thing (well a Yamaha that looks similar, but has another pickup) and am just starting.

Favourites that have been easy to start with for me are Where is My Mind? by Pixies, Cobrastyle by Teddybears, and Cannonball by The Breeders. Also I've found 90s rap is pretty good for practicing keeping simple bass lines in time.

I'm sure none of this is news to anyone.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

https://youtu.be/AAOxO4LeN1M

Julia’s cover of Come Down is such an ear worm and agh it’s going to be stuck in my brain another week now.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Brawnfire posted:

Hello...

I got a bass yesterday

A Yamaha RBX260

Can't go wrong with Yamaha.

I have a BB234 myself. It'll probably be my only bass since I use it to supplement guitar for the moment.

If I have to own only one version of a instrument, it's gonna be a Yamaha.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

odiv posted:

Also I've found 90s rap is pretty good for practicing keeping simple bass lines in time.

It's good to mention though! And yeah 90s hip hop especially has a lot of really simple bass lines where the tone and the groove is what really drives it, and being able to nail that stuff is really important - stripping it back to the basics gives you nowhere to hide and it's kinda meditative. And you'll find a lot of great funk and soul basslines in there too

I always try to turn beginners onto StudyBass because it's such a good resource (feels like the JustinGuitar of bass), but I wanna big up Nice Josh who's been making some fun and informative stuff, and he does some really good visualisations as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rli05ruCB8

Preggo My Eggo!
Jun 17, 2010
Nice Josh is a fantastic teacher for beginner bassists, in the same way that Jake Lizzio is a fantastic teacher for intermediate guitarists. The Bassbuzz course was great for me when I was just starting out and didn't know how to hold the instrument properly, but now that I'm more intermediate on bass I find myself watching Lizzio's stuff for guitar and applying it to bass.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

odiv posted:

Hey, I'm on almost the same thing (well a Yamaha that looks similar, but has another pickup) and am just starting.

Favourites that have been easy to start with for me are Where is My Mind? by Pixies, Cobrastyle by Teddybears, and Cannonball by The Breeders. Also I've found 90s rap is pretty good for practicing keeping simple bass lines in time.

I was actually looking for some good starting bassic baselines. I mean basic basslines.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Brawnfire posted:

I was actually looking for some good starting bassic baselines. I mean basic basslines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uE1zgrMdxBE

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

It's "N"BD

The back is a really pretty piece of maple that wasn't quite large enough to fill the whole width.

Nobody has responded to this but holy hell what a beautiful instrument

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Brawnfire posted:

Might as well get this out of the way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_7VrkrUuKc

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

There’s a dude on YouTube who plays the solo fingerstyle and Jesus I’m just gonna give up now if this is the world we have to live in.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

EL BROMANCE posted:

There’s a dude on YouTube who plays the solo fingerstyle and Jesus I’m just gonna give up now if this is the world we have to live in.

I was tinkering around with getting Bombshell down without a pick and it's doable but so much easier with one

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

TheQuietWilds posted:

Nobody has responded to this but holy hell what a beautiful instrument

Thanks! It sounds good too. I wish I was better at taking pictures because it gives off a ton of glare

Brawnfire posted:

All Blues is an easy jam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-488UORrfJ0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKBHq1r47ao

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Picked up an EHX Nano 360 Looper because 1.) It'll be easier for me to put together sketches on piano/guitar with a looping bass line than recording it in Pro Tools, and B.) I'm sick of not being able to solo for poo poo...

Hooray new gear!

That Guy From Pearldiver
Apr 18, 2001

President and Sole Member of the Andre Braugher Appreciation Society
Finally managed to obtain a Vintage Modified Jaguar bass a couple of weeks ago after wanting one for five years. Then literally the next night I said gently caress it and ordered a Classic Vibe 60s P Bass having never owned a good P bass in my life.

I honestly believe I've exhausted my GAS.

The Reverb app is evil.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
Is the Jaguar Bass P pickup further forward than it is on the Precision bass?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Pretty sure they're not. Doesn't look like it from that angle.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Looks like my cover band is still too worried about covid to meet up in the cramped rehearsal space. Anyone have any recommendations for battery operated bass amps? I'm not looking for something insanely powerful, Just enough to jam. 40 watt and less I guess? Still figuring it out.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
Battery operated is going to be a tall order for a 40 watt bass amp. They do exist, but they aren't common. Bass uses a lot of power just to make a little bit of sound, which is why there aren't a whole lot of battery operated options available. Is there any reason it needs to be battery powered?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

tarlibone posted:

Battery operated is going to be a tall order for a 40 watt bass amp. They do exist, but they aren't common. Bass uses a lot of power just to make a little bit of sound, which is why there aren't a whole lot of battery operated options available. Is there any reason it needs to be battery powered?

had the idea of playing it at the park with some bandmates. Not for an audience just for a non covid catching rehearsal. 40 watts was a stretch. How about 20 or 15 W? There's stuff online but I trust the ppl in this thread to know whats the best option.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

I've got a MicroCube RX which is 5W and that's plenty loud, especially indoors (and especially in enclosed spaces). Outdoors it doesn't carry as well, and you definitely lose a lot of the low end - which it doesn't really have anyway, there's bass you can hear but not the bass you feel which is what all yr watts are for. But it depends what you're competing with, a drummer wailing on a full kit and 2 guitar amps cranked, maybe not. Acoustic session in the park? Should be good!

here's a nice comparison video someone did

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioKAeEoByYI

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Thanks!

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
Phil Jones make a suitcase or briefcase amp which has a battery built in, and would have plenty of volume for what you need.

However it's a PJB amp so it costs about as much as a black market kidney.

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It
I had a Phil Jones briefcase amp. It usually does not come with a battery, but it apparently uses a car battery and it had a cavity on the bottom of it for it.

It also came with a cable to get power from a cigarette lighter.

It was a great amp. The biggest downfall is that to you have to disconnect the speaker when you just want to use the headphone out. I got a lot of compliments when I was gigging with it and I upgraded to a larger Phil Jones amp.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

Brawnfire posted:

Hello...

I got a bass yesterday

A Yamaha RBX260

good choice! i was gifted a really beat up yamaha rbx800a my friend bought at a pawn shop years ago and after getting it set up its the most comfortable bass i own. i still need to find a repair shop that deals with older active systems because the pots are all busted and the last shop didnt want to touch it. despite that it still sounds great!

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!

Brawnfire posted:

Hello...

I got a bass yesterday

A Yamaha RBX260

Hey nice, great entry-level bass, the EMGs should sound heaps better than the stock set.

My second bass was an RBX270J, basically the same but with a J pickup near the bridge, played easy enough, I think I traded it for an Epiphone Accubass. I got the Yamaha because my first bass (lovely Ashton xmas gift) got stolen and hocked by a junkie I trusted, the Accubass was hocked by an ex-housmate who turned on everyone BAD. I think the next one I managed to scrape together after that was an SX Cobra jazz bass, a huge piece of anus. poo poo being unemployed sucked.

Nowadays I still have a Yamaha, a 3rd gen RBX375A previously owned by one of my bass influences, that's the cheapest one I have.
Rocking a US G&L and Japanese Ibanez Musician mainly, but just purchased a Peavey T40 to see what the hype is all about.
Oh, just got a Carvin bass amp yesty, too. Loving it!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Thanks for the feedback! I've gotten a LOT of positive responses from this bass so I'm glad I got something pretty quality to sink my teeth into.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!

Brawnfire posted:

Thanks for the feedback! I've gotten a LOT of positive responses from this bass so I'm glad I got something pretty quality to sink my teeth into.

It's definitely one of the few best of an oversaturated price range.
You could have so easily ended up with cheap eBay crap that arrives unintonated and ends up being completely unplayable if stored incorrectly or you get a humid day.

The RBXs are surprisingly quality for a cheapie.

I remember playing one of your exact model that had been worked up with a tonne of love.
They had replaced the pickups and bridge with upgrades, removed the original paint and stained the bodywood beautifully, and sanded and oiled the neck so it was so smooth it could slip out of your hands like a bar of soap.

I still remember it as being one of the nicest playing basses I have ever held.

Schwza
Apr 28, 2008
Working on my newest build, a multiscale 5 string, and need some bassist feedback. Currently thinking the B will be 36" and the G will be 32". Too much or not enough?

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Schwza posted:

Working on my newest build, a multiscale 5 string, and need some bassist feedback. Currently thinking the B will be 36" and the G will be 32". Too much or not enough?

might be too much! i think kiesel does 34.0 - 35.5 on their fanned fret 5 strings, and i've seen another 5 string bass with 33.5 - 35.0

32.0 - 36.0 scale lengths aren't unheard of. I think dingwall makes one thats 34.0 - 37.0. but i think you risk playability issues with such extreme fannage

do you have custom string gauges in mind? or a standard set that you plan to use?

Schwza
Apr 28, 2008

Helianthus Annuus posted:

might be too much! i think kiesel does 34.0 - 35.5 on their fanned fret 5 strings, and i've seen another 5 string bass with 33.5 - 35.0

32.0 - 36.0 scale lengths aren't unheard of. I think dingwall makes one thats 34.0 - 37.0. but i think you risk playability issues with such extreme fannage

do you have custom string gauges in mind? or a standard set that you plan to use?

I am also thinking it's too much after I laid it out so I think I'll revise it to 35.5" down to 34". Planned on using a long scale 5 string set so maybe .130 to .040.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I've played guitar for awhile and was thinking of picking up a cheap bass to mess around on. Anyone have any recommendations? Are the Classic Vibe basses any good? I've got a classic vibe tele that I like and seems a little better than a standard Squier, but my main goal is something that will be pretty playable out of the box. I'd also be in the market for a headphone amp if anyone's got any recommendations, or is it stupid to go that route and instead just get an audio interface and plug it into my computer. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

R.D. Mangles posted:

I've played guitar for awhile and was thinking of picking up a cheap bass to mess around on. Anyone have any recommendations? Are the Classic Vibe basses any good? I've got a classic vibe tele that I like and seems a little better than a standard Squier, but my main goal is something that will be pretty playable out of the box. I'd also be in the market for a headphone amp if anyone's got any recommendations, or is it stupid to go that route and instead just get an audio interface and plug it into my computer. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

i bought a squier classic vibes p bass last year, and its great. i still haven't changed the strings, the factory setup has been good enough for me.

headphone amp? are you thinking like a vox amplug? those have been getting some heat in the guitar thread for being hissy and noisy. and one time, i recommended one to an IRL buddy on guitar, and he told me it was poo poo! :whitewater:

eventually, you wanna have a proper bass amp so you can feel the vibes in your body.

but when i need to use headphones, i plug into my audio interface and use the interface's hardware monitoring to listen to myself (so im not getting any effects or modeling or anything in software... but its near-zero latency). sounds good enough to me, but i still really prefer using a bass amp

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
i should also mention this disclaimer:

im not a real bass player, im a guitarist like you. take my opinion with a grain of salt, and maybe see wht a real bass player has to say about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
The Vox Amplugs are fine. Anyone who complains that they are hissy and don't sound good is probably also the kind of person who pulls the patty off of a McDonalds hamburger (the basic, small one), puts it on a plate, eats it with a knife and fork, and complains that it's not the nicest steak that he's ever eaten.

It's a $40 tiny little box you plug into your guitar that exists for one reason: it lets you practice with a tone that is fairly close to plugging into an amp, but you're the only one who can hear it. And, you're not tethered to a big amp with a headphone jack, or an audio interface connected to a computer. You can walk around the house, jamming, and bothering basically nobody. That's what they're for. Considering the fact that the old generation of headphone amps (Rockman, I think) tended to cost as much as cheap practice amps do now, I'm not sure how anyone is seriously complaining about them.