Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
Just use utorrent to download Linux isos, imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
On the other hand, it's only going to cost me $70 to end my contract early (got an evo3d at launch), so I might just do that to take advantage of black friday sales.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
I was told it would cost me $118.99 to get the Black Friday s3 which includes activation fee and tax (that is based on the motherfucking MSRP).

Now I'm thinking just to wait till spring because I'm grouchy and cheap and TP2 is tolerable for a few more months.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
We just opened up a 5th line on our EPRP plan, and got an iPhone 5. The new line is for my boss's son, and we activated my old Pre on the line for him to use. I activated the iPhone on my line, replacing a Galaxy Nexus.

I'm coming to terms with the fact that I just don't think I like the iPhone (more specifically iOS). The hardware is excellent, it feels like a chiseled piece of diamond in my hand. The software eats poo poo, though. Its shiny and quick, but I feel like I'm constantly fighting it to do anything.

The long and the short of it is I think I just want to go back to the GNex. Can I return the iPhone but keep the new line as-is? Will that line then have subsidy/upgrade eligibility right away? How does that work? I guess my other option is to sell the iPhone to recoup the $200 and then some, but I'd rather return it if it resets the upgrade clock on the new line.

DanAdamKOF
Feb 11, 2007

I'm liking the Houston-area LTE rollout so far, I get a 5mbps LTE signal at my mom's house in Sugar Land.

I guess for a laugh I'll do a speedtest at my relatives' place out past Sealy when we head out for Thanksgiving.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

sirbeefalot posted:

We just opened up a 5th line on our EPRP plan, and got an iPhone 5. The new line is for my boss's son, and we activated my old Pre on the line for him to use. I activated the iPhone on my line, replacing a Galaxy Nexus.

I'm coming to terms with the fact that I just don't think I like the iPhone (more specifically iOS). The hardware is excellent, it feels like a chiseled piece of diamond in my hand. The software eats poo poo, though. Its shiny and quick, but I feel like I'm constantly fighting it to do anything.

The long and the short of it is I think I just want to go back to the GNex. Can I return the iPhone but keep the new line as-is? Will that line then have subsidy/upgrade eligibility right away? How does that work? I guess my other option is to sell the iPhone to recoup the $200 and then some, but I'd rather return it if it resets the upgrade clock on the new line.

If it's been less than 14 days you can return it and get your upgrade back.

scrub
Jul 9, 2002
Just called retentions and got 3 Samsung Galaxy S3's for 99cents each (plus activation).. I have EPRP, had to call back a couple times to find a rep that could mess with my account. Lots of SERO-P people getting this too.

Good luck

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

scrub posted:

Just called retentions and got 3 Samsung Galaxy S3's for 99cents each (plus activation).. I have EPRP, had to call back a couple times to find a rep that could mess with my account. Lots of SERO-P people getting this too.

Good luck

How did you manage that? Just ask, claiming that you want to leave?

scrub
Jul 9, 2002
No threatening, just "My friend is on (SERO-Premium/whatever) and got this deal, can you hook me up"

Took a little more than that, they met me halfway, started the transaction, put on hold, when they came back I asked again and said my wife's friend got the same deal, could you check for me?" I was nice, she was nice..

I really do like sprint. Data rates are fast enough, and with EPRP 5 lines, I pay less than my friends off-contract t-mobile and I get upgrades :)

Medina
Jul 26, 2008
I was able to order 3 S3's for 99 cents yesterday, but when I got the confirmation e-mail a few hours later it shows that I got the S2 instead.

quote:

SPHD710WTS SAMSUNG D710 WHITE KIT

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Ugh trying to get the Galaxy S3 online, says my SERO plan isn't eligible. I'm guessing because, as someone said earlier, I'm on SERO Wimax and I need to be on SERO LTE. The rep says I need to upgrade...and the SERO phone number is closed. :(

Guess no Galaxy for me...

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

I have $50 SERO and have been out of contract for over a year. I called up retentions today (888-273-9460 as listed on Consumerist) and ordered a 16GB Galaxy S3 for $49 with a $36 activation fee. The rep I talked to couldn't match the $0.99 Sam's Club deal or waive the activation fee, but he gave me a $25 credit on my bill for 4 months, which means I got paid about $15 to take the 2 year contract and phone. Not a bad deal at all!

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
I thought the S3 was going onsale on friday but it looks like it is live on their site now? I want to use my upgrade that is avaiable on my evo3d for my gf's rumor touch, do i just order it online under the evo3d and they can change it lateR?

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!
Added a line to get a S3 last night because $400 for a brand new off contract S3 isn't a bad deal :v: Now I gotta find another one so my wife and I can both upgrade, I hate how the Airave counts as a line and prevented me from getting two.

fyallm posted:

I thought the S3 was going onsale on friday but it looks like it is live on their site now? I want to use my upgrade that is avaiable on my evo3d for my gf's rumor touch, do i just order it online under the evo3d and they can change it lateR?
Yeah started at Midnight Central last night. As far as I know, you should be able to do that since there's no mail in rebates involved.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

scrub posted:

Good luck

Likewise, got an S3 for 99 cents, plus a $25 account credit to offset the activation fee, after about an hour on the phone last night*. Man, I'm glad I checked slickdeals instead of just waiting until 1am to order.

*First call to retentions was put on hold then disconnected, second said the price match was authorized but I needed to call sero support (866-264-1282), who then told me to gently caress right off. Called retentions again, who this time told me to call the employee care(?) line (888-882-4030). That call took forever on hold, but the rep transferred me to account services(?) (said there was no number, internal extension only) and conferenced in to explain it for me, and that rep sold it to me, no questions asked. She couldn't waive activation, but gave me the credit when I just asked for it outright.

Confirmation email shows that it is the S3 (L710), I see a $1.11 charge on my visa, a -$25 current account balance, and 'check your upgrade' now says 7/1/14, so it seems like it's a go. Now to hope for delivery in anything less than a week.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Four calls to retentions:'
1. We aren't price matching anything. Click.
2. I can't access your account (EPRP).
3. No price matching.
4. Same lady as 2. Same answer.

Gonna keep trying...

:edit:
5. different number, no go
6. woman put me on hold, agreed to pricematch, put on hold, came back, said employee relations was gone for the day, i asked for supervisor, currently on hold...

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Nov 22, 2012

vwman18
Jul 30, 2005

bah weep graaagnah wheep ni ni bong
Is the website not allowing SERO users to purchase the black friday S3? Or, are the phone calls to retentions to match the 99 cent deal?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

vwman18 posted:

Is the website not allowing SERO users to purchase the black friday S3? Or, are the phone calls to retentions to match the 99 cent deal?

Matching the .99 deal.
Forty minutes on hold, dropped the call. Way to go sprint network.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

vwman18 posted:

I'm on SERO and I went through the steps to buy the $50 GS3 online, when I got to the part about plans I called 866-866-7509, they transferred me to 888-882-4030. On hold with them right now.

EDIT: Hung up shortly after for dinner. Back on hold with them now.

TITTIEKISSER69 fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Nov 23, 2012

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Lovie Unsmith posted:

I'm on SERO and I went through the steps to buy the $50 GS3 online, when I got to the part about plans I called 866-866-7509, they transferred me to 888-882-4030. On hold with them right now.

Yep, that's the number I ended up getting directed to. Took me about 30 minutes of hold time and another 15 minutes of working with the operator, but I got the phone ordered. Didn't even bother trying the price match route, but they did waive the activation fee.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Got a GS3 for $50, they waived the $36 activation fee but charged me $12 for shipping. Is that normal?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Lovie Unsmith posted:

Got a GS3 for $50, they waived the $36 activation fee but charged me $12 for shipping. Is that normal?

That's the same thing I got.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004
Isn't their normal rate free 3-5 day, or $12 overnight?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

No overnight available, $12 for 2-5 day shipping.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004
Well, then, them shady motherfucks.

vwman18
Jul 30, 2005

bah weep graaagnah wheep ni ni bong
Is there any reason to go with the free Galaxy Nexus over the $50 GS3? Expandable memory and an extra gig of RAM sounds like its worth $50.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

vwman18 posted:

Is there any reason to go with the free Galaxy Nexus over the $50 GS3? Expandable memory and an extra gig of RAM sounds like its worth $50.

Not unless having stock android its paramount to everything else.

Xenin
Nov 5, 2004
I ordered the $50 GS3 last night at 10pm PST. Was surprised to even see the deal up. Got free 3-5 shipping but no fee waived, although they don't charge you for that until the phone actually arrives and you try to activate it, so maybe I can still get that negated.

That 99 cent deal sounds amazing, though whenever I try to call retentions or employee care, it just says the offices are closed for Thanksgiving. How are you people even talking to anyone, I don't understand.

beamrider
Sep 22, 2000
Posting "This needs much more love" IS BANNABLE
^^ Same here, can't get a hold of anyone, wanting to see if they'll bump my wife's upgrade date up, so I can grab 2 S3s instead of 1. Figure its worth a shot...

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

sharkytm posted:

Not unless having stock android its paramount to everything else.

Yeah, unless you sport a raging boner about stock android (Sprint won't even roll out updates on time for it) and that alone, you want the faster, expandable, better-screened GS3.

Hell, as I recall you can get CM10 on the GS3 anyway so unless you consider the one button on the face of the phone as opposed to the all-glass front of the GNex a dealbreaker, just go with the GS3.

Also, Sprint's coverage is beyond atrocious in the Brooksville/Spring Hill area of Florida. I'm visiting family down here and I've had to keep this loving phone on airplane mode drat near permanently (excluding turning it off for a minute or two every once in a while to reverify the lack of service.) and Roaming isn't even available most of the time either. I understand it's the sprawliest of sprawl, but god loving drat, Sprint. I've never seen that empty loving triangle thing outside goddamn parking garages. My father's got T-Mo and they have decent coverage. You don't often see T-Mo have coverage where Sprint doesn't. It's that drat bad.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I think I'm definitely going to return this iPhone 5. Is there any chance I'll be able to return it and still be in time to take advantage of the $50 S3? What would be the fastest way to have the subsidy availability show back up on the account? Should I go right to a store tomorrow and return it, or call the employee line (EPRP account)?

I won't be totally hosed if I miss the S3 deal as I have my Galaxy Nexus to fall back on, but it sure would be nice.

e; Yeah, it seems most of the non-essential support lines are closed for the night. Crossing my fingers to get this switched.

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Nov 23, 2012

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

Xenin posted:

I ordered the $50 GS3 last night at 10pm PST. Was surprised to even see the deal up. Got free 3-5 shipping but no fee waived, although they don't charge you for that until the phone actually arrives and you try to activate it, so maybe I can still get that negated.

That 99 cent deal sounds amazing, though whenever I try to call retentions or employee care, it just says the offices are closed for Thanksgiving. How are you people even talking to anyone, I don't understand.

Did you sign up for a new line or just upgraded? Still isn't clear on the website and I can't log in because I don't have my primary account holder information...

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

So take me back, back to better days
Cause this time between is wasting me away

sirbeefalot posted:

I think I'm definitely going to return this iPhone 5. Is there any chance I'll be able to return it and still be in time to take advantage of the $50 S3? What would be the fastest way to have the subsidy availability show back up on the account? Should I go right to a store tomorrow and return it, or call the employee line (EPRP account)?

I won't be totally hosed if I miss the S3 deal as I have my Galaxy Nexus to fall back on, but it sure would be nice.

e; Yeah, it seems most of the non-essential support lines are closed for the night. Crossing my fingers to get this switched.

Trade you a GS3 for an iPhone 5? :)

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

thisdude23 posted:

Trade you a GS3 for an iPhone 5? :)

If I can't get this deal to work today, that is a mighty tempting offer.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.
So it is letting me upgrade my line online for the 50 dollars...why am I nervous about this?

e: what about the activation fee? Have you guys been able to get them to refund the activation fee?

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

So take me back, back to better days
Cause this time between is wasting me away

sirbeefalot posted:

If I can't get this deal to work today, that is a mighty tempting offer.

PMed you.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

So it is letting me upgrade my line online for the 50 dollars...why am I nervous about this?

e: what about the activation fee? Have you guys been able to get them to refund the activation fee?

My activation fee was waived without my asking when I called in my order yesterday.

Dominus Vobiscum
Sep 2, 2004

Our motives are multiple, our desires complex.
Fallen Rib

td4guy posted:

After you get your iPhone in hand, you will have to call Employee Care and have them switch you from a SERO Premium WiMax plan code to a SERO Premium LTE plan code. Then you'll be able to activate it.

Thanks. That makes sense. I went with the GS3 instead, but I'll have to do the same thing.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Got my GS3 today and after having to deal with my Evo for 4 years (or whatever) it's wonderful!

:allears:

edit: I'll ask the other question in the other thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
Is there a way to get the free Galaxy Nexus extended battery? It looks like the promotion is still on the website, but only when you purchase the phone and battery together. My wife already has the phone, and has had it for several months.