Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Electric Wrigglies posted:

ahh, that's how we are motivating displacing people without free and informed prior consent, just label 'em a rich failson then job done?

I got no love for GOP car dealership owners but opposition to economic development is the popular thing to do these days (who can support anything that is just for number go up?). I find it a bit amusing that a lot of the same people that yay and cheer impediments to nuclear development or a hydro dam are now bemoaning that someone might get a say on a powerline going down the guts of where they grew up.

No, the actual reason is that there are 4 issues that are split pretty hard among political lines. And people don't want to be seen with people on the other side.

If you got a fossil plant built in a nature/native reserve, you want people who attract fossil plants and people who like nature reserves. And they get along and show up in large numbers and have fun.
If you got a wind plant built on a golf course/parking lot/industrial farm you attract the peole who hate wind plants and people who like golf courses. And they get along and show up in large numbers and have fun.

If they are mixed differently you get small protests:
If you got a fossil plant built on a golf course, you want people who hate fossil plants or like golf courses. And those hate each other and only show up if they really care about that one issue massively.
If you got a wind plant built on a nature reserve, you want people who hate wind plants or like nature reserves. And those hate each other and only show up if they really care about that one issue massively.
And the people who stayed at home shitpost complaining about the people who showed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

cant cook creole bream posted:

Germany is still a net exporter though.

You're really, really close but apparently still so far.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
What are nuke chuds again?

Anyways, one thing that Victoria 3has taught me is that you can buy stuff from people at a low price to drive up the cost and then sell it back to them for profit, maybe that's what is happening here?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I don't know but my takeaway is as need more nuclear power generation

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Raenir Salazar posted:

What are nuke chuds again?

A goon here kept using it to refer to anyone pro-nuclear to try and paint anyone who argued in favor of nuclear power as right wing, because that's about all he had left in way of arguments. It was pretty pathetic.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

VictualSquid posted:

No, the actual reason is that there are 4 issues that are split pretty hard among political lines. And people don't want to be seen with people on the other side.

If you got a fossil plant built in a nature/native reserve, you want people who attract fossil plants and people who like nature reserves. And they get along and show up in large numbers and have fun.
If you got a wind plant built on a golf course/parking lot/industrial farm you attract the peole who hate wind plants and people who like golf courses. And they get along and show up in large numbers and have fun.

If they are mixed differently you get small protests:
If you got a fossil plant built on a golf course, you want people who hate fossil plants or like golf courses. And those hate each other and only show up if they really care about that one issue massively.
If you got a wind plant built on a nature reserve, you want people who hate wind plants or like nature reserves. And those hate each other and only show up if they really care about that one issue massively.
And the people who stayed at home shitpost complaining about the people who showed up.

yeah, agreed. You did forget about the people that stayed at home (for very good reasons that I can't go into) shitposting about the people that didn't show up though.

On the other hand, the one that should bring them together is the increasing re-purposing of old disused mines as a renewable energy hub. Create a dam in the waste dump to allow for pumped hydro storage (the pit is the bottom reservoir, the waste dump dam the top reservoir) wind farms towers on other waste dumps and cover the old tails dam with solar panels. Double points if the original grid connection (even if it needs to be upgraded, you still have the corridor), concrete workshop bases and roadworks all still exist.

The magic is old mines are all previously disturbed ground and generally away from NIMBY concerns.

Kidston https://genexpower.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2021/10/kidston_renewable_energy_hub_-_information_sheet_-_october_20172.pdf is the best example I know but I understand the UK is developing some now as well.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Down for expanding options for pumped hydro storage, but I know old open pit mines have a bad habit of filling with water that leeches toxic materials from the exposed deeper rock. Pumped hydro with hazardous wastewater sounds tricky.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

The magic is old mines are all previously disturbed ground and generally away from NIMBY concerns.

Pouring a lot of water into old mines sounds like a terrible idea.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
Yeah old mines are toxic death traps, it’s like the worst thing you could ever do. Look up the Berkeley Pit. Flocks of birds have flown in there and died from chemical burns. Not great! Pumped hydro is dumb, especially given water scarcity.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Pumped hydro rules it's just difficult to find a site where it makes any sense

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

cat botherer posted:

Pumped hydro is dumb, especially given water scarcity.
You don't need to waste water as long as it's a boilable liquid. Just fill the mine with mercury!

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

You don't need to waste water as long as it's a boilable liquid. Just fill the mine with mercury!
This would be much more efficient due to the high density of mercury compared to water.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

It doesn't need to be boilable or even a liquid. Any fluid can theoretically work for pumped energy storage.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Pumped magma.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

How do you think pumped hydro works :psyduck:

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Blind Duke posted:

Down for expanding options for pumped hydro storage, but I know old open pit mines have a bad habit of filling with water that leeches toxic materials from the exposed deeper rock. Pumped hydro with hazardous wastewater sounds tricky.

Well, Gravitricity is trying to use old mines for gravity storage by hauling weights up and down.

In other gravity storage related news Energy Vault actually has an above ground project under construction in Rudong, China. It's massive.. I honestly thought Energy Vault was a grift and now we get to find out.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Owling Howl posted:

Well, Gravitricity is trying to use old mines for gravity storage by hauling weights up and down.

In other gravity storage related news Energy Vault actually has an above ground project under construction in Rudong, China. It's massive.. I honestly thought Energy Vault was a grift and now we get to find out.

I still think they are grifts as well as unfeasible on the face of it. Just using peoples desperation for a workable energy storage solution as a means to get money fast.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

Lifting concrete blocks for energy storage isn’t economically feasible, but if someone needs to subsidize construction during an economic slowdown it can be a symbiotic grift.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

KillHour posted:

It doesn't need to be boilable or even a liquid. Any fluid can theoretically work for pumped energy storage.

Xakura posted:

How do you think pumped hydro works :psyduck:

Yeah, I had a genuine brainfart when I wrote that.
Anyway there's certainly nothing wrong with filling a mine with mercury.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Phanatic posted:

Pouring a lot of water into old mines sounds like a terrible idea.

Two things;

~You can and do develop hydrogeochemical models of what is going to happen. It's pretty routine work. The vast majority of mines don't have chemical leaching problems. The generally common nasty one is acid forming waste (primarily because it has been sized reduced by blasting and digging and raised to above ground) but that is not so applicable to most pits themselves and the waste should be encapsulated (MUCH more likely to happen if you do something like build an upper water storage reservoir on top of it).
~Pits fill with water in any event, hence why some old mines have ongoing water treatment plants operating long after the mine has gone (eg, the old Mt Morgan copper mine south of Rockhamptom).

A little bit beside the point but pumped hydro is VASTLY less environmentally damaging than rare earth mining and processing that are used in spiffy magnets and

cat botherer posted:

Yeah old mines are toxic death traps, it’s like the worst thing you could ever do. Look up the Berkeley Pit. Flocks of birds have flown in there and died from chemical burns. Not great! Pumped hydro is dumb, especially given water scarcity.

you are telling me that if some birds get burnt (say by flying in concentrated sunlight) we should assume nothing can be done and the tech itself is hopeless?

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Two things;

~You can and do develop hydrogeochemical models of what is going to happen. It's pretty routine work. The vast majority of mines don't have chemical leaching problems. The generally common nasty one is acid forming waste (primarily because it has been sized reduced by blasting and digging and raised to above ground) but that is not so applicable to most pits themselves and the waste should be encapsulated (MUCH more likely to happen if you do something like build an upper water storage reservoir on top of it).
~Pits fill with water in any event, hence why some old mines have ongoing water treatment plants operating long after the mine has gone (eg, the old Mt Morgan copper mine south of Rockhamptom).

A little bit beside the point but pumped hydro is VASTLY less environmentally damaging than rare earth mining and processing that are used in spiffy magnets and

you are telling me that if some birds get burnt (say by flying in concentrated sunlight) we should assume nothing can be done and the tech itself is hopeless?
The Berkeley Pit is one of the worst superfund sites in the country.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

cat botherer posted:

The Berkeley Pit is one of the worst superfund sites in the country.

ok, and that is relevant to nearly all the rest of the disused pits how?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Yeah, I had a genuine brainfart when I wrote that.
Anyway there's certainly nothing wrong with filling a mine with mercury.

Except that we don't have literal lakes of mercury lying around to do it with.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

:thejoke:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

ok, and that is relevant to nearly all the rest of the disused pits how?

It became one of the worst superfund sites in the country because the pumps were turned off and it filled with water.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Blorange posted:

Lifting concrete blocks for energy storage isn’t economically feasible, but if someone needs to subsidize construction during an economic slowdown it can be a symbiotic grift.

Every year the demolition of buildings all around the world releases unimaginable amounts of energy into earth crust when kinetically highly energetic rubble fragments and particulates impact at the terrestrial-atmospheric intersection line. With the help of AI driven research methods we developed a novel technology that can recuperate this energy and make it available to the power grid, reducing carbon emission and combating climate change.

Jows
May 8, 2002

GABA ghoul posted:

Every year the demolition of buildings all around the world releases unimaginable amounts of energy into earth crust when kinetically highly energetic rubble fragments and particulates impact at the terrestrial-atmospheric intersection line. With the help of AI driven research methods we developed a novel technology that can recuperate this energy and make it available to the power grid, reducing carbon emission and combating climate change.

What's your SPAC? Moon for sure!

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Phanatic posted:

It became one of the worst superfund sites in the country because the pumps were turned off and it filled with water.

Yes, on a historical copper mine with acid forming waste rock and soluble heavy metals. Which is not relevant to the vast majority of disused mines (and is checked for as part of mine ESIAs even in Africa let alone a 2020's civil project such as a renewable energy hub in the style of Kidston would be in Aus/UK/EU). It's like saying that because concentrated solar has burnt birds when they fly in between the reflection mirrors and the central tower, that all solar is a bad idea because bird deaths.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

KillHour posted:

Not with that sort of attitude we don’t!

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Jows posted:

What's your SPAC? Moon for sure!

Trampoline Technologies Inc., we are still it the angel investor phase so not public yet

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Yes, on a historical copper mine with acid forming waste rock and soluble heavy metals. Which is not relevant to the vast majority of disused mines (and is checked for as part of mine ESIAs even in Africa let alone a 2020's civil project such as a renewable energy hub in the style of Kidston would be in Aus/UK/EU).

Are there really mines that don't have pyrites?

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Phanatic posted:

Are there really mines that don't have pyrites?

yeah, any mining of oxides (nickel/copper laterites, iron ore and bauxite for example) will be in the weathered zone free of sulphides pretty much by definition and the majority of fresh rock mines are mostly granites, basalts and other non-acid forming rocks. And even where there are some pyrites (or other sulphides like pyrrhotite), they will often be in low enough amount to be insignificant and neutralized by volume (dilution is the solution to pollution).

Do you think every highway cutting, wind tower foundation dig out and canal dredging brings great big volumes of acid (or heavy metals) like Berkeley Pit (some do, which is why there is a whole body of science to hydrogeological chemistry)?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acid_mine_drainage

is a vocab word i remember from hs because my class and the teacher really liked the his joke of it being a good band name.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

PhazonLink posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acid_mine_drainage

is a vocab word i remember from hs because my class and the teacher really liked the his joke of it being a good band name.

when i worked in a water quality research lab i often studied acid mine drainage samples since i could just go get tons of them myself

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

KillHour posted:

Once again the Chinese have pulled ahead in the renewables race: https://www.chemistryworld.com/features/flowing-rivers-of-mercury/8122.article

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I need some talking points to counter some anti-nuclear arguments. I've thought of some rejoinders in italics, but would appreciate other citable facts. Most of these come from here: https://archive.beyondnuclear.org/storage/fact-sheets/Flyer_ClimateChange_UK.pdf

https://archive.beyondnuclear.org/fact-sheets/ - I don't know this "Beyond Nuclear" group, has anyone heard of them? Do they get funding from the fossil fuel industry?

Namely these:

• Nuclear power is not zero-emissions: CO2 is emitted during its life cycle. This is trivially true because literally all industrial activity, including constructing wind turbines and solar installations, emit CO2 over their life cycles (stats for renewables?)
  • Nuclear energy is not "renewable" because it consumes uranium which must be mined: The amount of uranium consumed by a nuclear power plant is extremely small in proportion to coal or oil.
  • Building nuclear plants won't replace coal plants: they take too long to build: This is due to siting restrictions and the time it takes to obtain funding ( I don't have figures or facts on hand for this)
  • Using nuclear plants to address climate change has huge downsides and risks: increasing accidents, nuclear waste, proliferation, and increased environmental damage from uranium mining
  • Baseload power is a false premise: microgrids can supply all energy needs, variable renewable energy does not mean it's unreliable: I'm not an energy grid expert, but this seems on the face not correct.
  • Nuclear plants consume too much water
  • Nuclear plants must power down during droughts and heat waves
  • Coastal nuclear power plants could become inundated from rising sea levels or tsunamis
  • Closing nuclear power plants doesn't mean an increase in fossil fuel use: I think this is just straight up wrong. Germany shut down its nuclear reactors and immediately imported more energy from abroad that was generated using natural gas. Again I don't know the citation for this but must've seen it in this thread

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

DrSunshine posted:

ut this seems on the face not correct.[/i]
[*]Nuclear plants consume too much water

This is nonsense. Nuclear plants don't "consume" water. The largest nuclear plant in the country uses reclaimed sewer water for its coolant. You could use the waste heat from nuclear plants for desalination if you wanted to.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

DrSunshine posted:

[list]

[*]Using nuclear plants to address climate change has huge downsides and risks: increasing accidents, nuclear waste, proliferation, and increased environmental damage from uranium mining

Uranium mining isn't special, any mining has the same or similar problems. Uranium replacing coal is a huge environmental positive. As you said wind and solar also require mined resources, as does basically all modern life.

Ultimately we need whatever we can get to eliminate CO2 emissions and that will depend on the site.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Phanatic posted:

This is nonsense. Nuclear plants don't "consume" water. The largest nuclear plant in the country uses reclaimed sewer water for its coolant. You could use the waste heat from nuclear plants for desalination if you wanted to.

From the PDF, the argument goes:

quote:

In a world under global warming conditions, water is fast becoming a precious commodity. It makes no sense to continue with large thermoloectric plants that consume large quantities of water. Once-through cooling plants draw in as much as a million gallons of water a minute, which is later discharged as heat, usually into the same body of water, heating it up. (DS: ???... ??!) Plants that use cooling towers (closed-loop heating), draw in water and then evaporate it as steam, thereby consuming and depleting water supplies.

While once-through nuclear plants withdraw more water from the source, plants with cooling towers consume more water as only a fraction of the water is "returned" to the environment as steam. According to the Union of Concerned scientists:

- Daily water withdrawal by closed-loop (cooling tower) recirculating cooling: 19-62M gallons daily for a 1GW reactor
- Daily water withdrawal by once-through cooling: 0.6-1.4 B gallons daily for a 1 GW reactor

This sounds like a specious argument to me, honestly, but I wouldn't know where to begin.

EDIT: This seems to rely on an article from a Prof. Derek Abbott, titled Nuclear Power: Game Over, but looking him up he's an electrical engineer and doesn't seem to have anything to do with nuclear power or sustainability.

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jun 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

DrSunshine posted:

I need some talking points to counter some anti-nuclear arguments. I've thought of some rejoinders in italics, but would appreciate other citable facts. Most of these come from here: https://archive.beyondnuclear.org/storage/fact-sheets/Flyer_ClimateChange_UK.pdf

https://archive.beyondnuclear.org/fact-sheets/ - I don't know this "Beyond Nuclear" group, has anyone heard of them? Do they get funding from the fossil fuel industry?

Namely these:

• Nuclear power is not zero-emissions: CO2 is emitted during its life cycle. This is trivially true because literally all industrial activity, including constructing wind turbines and solar installations, emit CO2 over their life cycles (stats for renewables?)
  • Nuclear energy is not "renewable" because it consumes uranium which must be mined: The amount of uranium consumed by a nuclear power plant is extremely small in proportion to coal or oil.
  • Building nuclear plants won't replace coal plants: they take too long to build: This is due to siting restrictions and the time it takes to obtain funding ( I don't have figures or facts on hand for this)
  • Using nuclear plants to address climate change has huge downsides and risks: increasing accidents, nuclear waste, proliferation, and increased environmental damage from uranium mining
  • Baseload power is a false premise: microgrids can supply all energy needs, variable renewable energy does not mean it's unreliable: I'm not an energy grid expert, but this seems on the face not correct.
  • Nuclear plants consume too much water
  • Nuclear plants must power down during droughts and heat waves
  • Coastal nuclear power plants could become inundated from rising sea levels or tsunamis
  • Closing nuclear power plants doesn't mean an increase in fossil fuel use: I think this is just straight up wrong. Germany shut down its nuclear reactors and immediately imported more energy from abroad that was generated using natural gas. Again I don't know the citation for this but must've seen it in this thread

Most of those are not wrong, but technically correct. In that they lead to nuclear power being about equivalent to renewable energy sources on environmental measures instead of strictly better.