Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I want to try Noodler's Black Swan in Austrialian Roses BUT I already have Diamine Grape and Iroshizuku Yama-Budo. Anyway, the real next ink(tm) for me is probably going to be Kon-Peki. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
I dig the black swan line, especially the first sample of English I got. It was an amazing dusky pink color that was not even close to the same in the second sample I got.

Can anyone recommend a good dusky pink from any other company?

I really need something more fun the endless parade of blues I gravitate to.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Borealis Black is the darkest black I've found. It works nice on cheap paper and is as dark as a Sharpie. It's a liiiittle bit darker than Heart of Darkness but it doesn't cooperate well with anything nicer than Rhodia because it takes a long time to dry.

Borealis for cheap paper, HoD for nice paper.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Demon_Corsair posted:

Can anyone recommend a good dusky pink from any other company?

Robert Oster Cherry Blossom for a more pink and Robert Oster Claret for something more dusty but closer to purple.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Has anyone used Herbin Emerald of Chavor? It is my favorite ink for a lot of my pens and I’ve wondered why there is some red that seems to separate out of the green on paper sometimes. Wouldn’t red and green make a brown color if there is actually red in it? It is such a great shade of green, performs excellently for a shimmer ink (basically as good as any other non-shimmer ink I like to use) but that red that seems to separate out (which looks very cool btw) confuses me.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

rio posted:

Has anyone used Herbin Emerald of Chavor? It is my favorite ink for a lot of my pens and I’ve wondered why there is some red that seems to separate out of the green on paper sometimes. Wouldn’t red and green make a brown color if there is actually red in it? It is such a great shade of green, performs excellently for a shimmer ink (basically as good as any other non-shimmer ink I like to use) but that red that seems to separate out (which looks very cool btw) confuses me.

I love this ink, it's probably my favorite among what I've used so far.

The red chemical may have different physical characteristics from the blue-green that makes it act differently on paper. I don't see results as dramatic as Goulet, but that's almost certainly the paper. I see the most of it in the "E" in "SECCON" and around the "o" in "Thought":

(train ticket to make camera pick the right white balance)

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Ku-Jaku has a very similar red sheen on some papers. On TR you can really see it.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Emerald of Chivor on TR is ludicrous, and easily my favorite combo. The wider the nib, the better.

SymmetryrtemmyS fucked around with this message at 03:13 on May 16, 2018

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
On Tomoe River with a wet nib, Emerald of Chivor made me feel real gross. It was... highly successful. In regards to the question of how, I dunno but I think refraction is a component. I got it differently based on angle and lighting. It was turning a page that really messed with me.

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 16:09 on May 16, 2018

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Emerald of Chivor on TR is ludicrous, and easily my favorite combo. The wider the nib, the better.

I need to get a full-size bottle and put it in the 6mm Parallel then :getin:

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Let's never fight again, shiny plastic.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Emerald of Chivor was my first >$15 ink and I absolutely adore it. I really need to get a broad nib pen and really play around with it. Are there any cheaper pens with nice broad nibs or should I just get a broad goulet nib or something for a jinhao?

My only real complaint with the ink is that if I linger on the paper a moment too long it will just be covered with shiny particulates. I wish there was a bit less.

If you really like that sheening effect check out the organic studio's Walden, or maybe it was Ralph Waldo Emerson. Either way it's a dark blue that basically goes shiny red immediately.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Sankis posted:

Emerald of Chivor was my first >$15 ink and I absolutely adore it. I really need to get a broad nib pen and really play around with it. Are there any cheaper pens with nice broad nibs or should I just get a broad goulet nib or something for a jinhao?

My only real complaint with the ink is that if I linger on the paper a moment too long it will just be covered with shiny particulates. I wish there was a bit less.

If you really like that sheening effect check out the organic studio's Walden, or maybe it was Ralph Waldo Emerson. Either way it's a dark blue that basically goes shiny red immediately.

Pilot Parallels if you want serious girth, or a TWSBI Eco is a nice option for not much more. They're limited to 1.1mm stub, though, at least from the factory. That's my personal sweet spot, so that's fine by me, but some people like 1.5mm stubs.

Asa Pens makes some nice models that take a while to arrive but look and feel great. One tip, if you get something from them in ebonite, I'd get the converter model. It expands more than acrylic when warm on top of holding more heat to begin with.

Robert Oster makes quite a few sheening inks, too. Blue Denim is another nice blue red. That seems to be a common combination. I wonder why.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

I have a 1.5 stub in my 580, and the Emerald of Chivor, and it is beautiful

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Science time!

The sheen you see when ink is pooled up on paper is due to crystallization of the excess dye and thin-film interference (think soap bubbles).

The aniline dyes precipitate out of solution, and in their crystal state they no longer give the same color. Then when you get enough layers of these crystals, they interact a little bit (thin film interference) to make the pooled ink look different from the rest of the ink as you view the page.

Cheap Bic ballpoints will sheen quite well if you scribble over the same place repeatedly.

I have a chemistry minor but all of this is hearsay I've picked up online so it could be wrong. It sounds plausible, and we know that certain inks sheen like crazy and those are aniline dye inks and aniline dye likes to crystallize, so...

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
Emerald of Chivor is really nice. Easily got the sparkles and red sheen with Tomorrow River paper and my broad nibbed Edison Collier. One of my other favorite sheening inks is Diamine Majestic Blue. It has a beautiful red sheen when the light hits it a certain way, but no sparkles. Another ink I really like is Iroshizuku Kon Peki. On TR paper there is a ton of color variation and shading. One thing I find interesting is how Kon Peki has some shading and variation on the "Black n' Red" notebook paper, but not nearly as pronounced as on TR paper.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
Is there a sequel to Tomoe River called "Tomorrow River" or are y'all just bad at autocorrect?

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I have the entire 1670 line and would love to use shimmery inks more often, but it's just more hassle than it's worth. You have to store your pens a certain way and/or agitate them before use, or else the sparkles aren't evenly distributed, and they're significantly more annoying to clean out when it comes time to change inks. And the shimmer only really shows through when the ink has time to pool and then dry up, which rules it out for a lot of day-to-day use if you want it to look nice.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Is there a sequel to Tomoe River called "Tomorrow River" or are y'all just bad at autocorrect?

Autocorrect. I discovered it also apparently automatically tries to change "question" to "guest iron."

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
I really, really love Sailor Yama-dori as a lite version of all these shimmer inks. Getting it to sheen is tough (you need Rhodia or better, or Tomoe River), but it's a very pleasant blue on office paper and is among the most well-behaved inks on lovely paper I've ever used, right up there with Noodler's Bulletproof Black. On the opposite spectrum, I sometimes forget and bring my pen inked with Waterman's Inspired Blue into the office and cringe when I see that ink feather. It's unusable with bad paper.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Yesterday I finally made the monumental but long overdue decision to turn off the goddamn autocorrect and just slow down and type things correctly.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yesterday I finally made the monumental but long overdue decision to turn off the goddamn autocorrect and just slow down and type things correctly.

But how does the autocorrect nib work?

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Lowness 72 posted:

But how does the autocorrect nib work?

Any time you try to write the words "best," "great," or "awesome" it writes Goulet instead. And orders you a dozen random ink samples.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

MockingQuantum posted:

Any time you try to write the words "best," "great," or "awesome" it writes Goulet instead. And orders you a dozen random ink samples.

Apparently he met up with Nathan. And they made a video. That could be a real treat.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Lowness 72 posted:

Apparently he met up with Nathan. And they made a video. That could be a real treat.

Coming next from Goulet, a 12-ink sample pack that are technically all the same Noodler's ink!

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

MockingQuantum posted:

Coming next from Goulet, a 12-ink sample pack that are technically all the same Noodler's ink!

I just had a vision of a thousand monkeys stirring a thousand cauldrons and every one of them contains a different color of American Aristocracy

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Trustworthy posted:

I just had a vision of a thousand monkeys stirring a thousand cauldrons and every one of them contains a different color of American Aristocracy

Maybe Nathan just mixes up a ton of random batches of ink, with no particular order or rigor, and just plops them in a different cardboard box for each ink line based on what it best resembles. "Well this kind of looks like 54th Massachusetts, this is roughly Apache Sunset..."

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Joined the Goulet fanboi Facebook group, and boy people are excited to own a safari in a different color. We make fun of ourselves, but goons are nowhere near as spergtacular as we could be.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Is it true that he started making ink because he was afraid that people would wash the signature off of checks and he had to find an ink that would be immune to that?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

stealie72 posted:

Joined the Goulet fanboi Facebook group, and boy people are excited to own a safari in a different color. We make fun of ourselves, but goons are nowhere near as spergtacular as we could be.

Eh, there are far worse things to get one-of-everything-itis over, like those flex Aurora 88's or something.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I think he was already a FP user, but basically yeah.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

rio posted:

Is it true that he started making ink because he was afraid that people would wash the signature off of checks and he had to find an ink that would be immune to that?

That is definitely the main justification he uses for the bulletproof inks -- protecting us from the terrible, relentless scourge of check-washers.

I don't know if that's the reason he started making inks but I'd believe it.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

stealie72 posted:

That is basically every fountain pen group everywhere though.

People lap up those le safaris, even when it's this year's "totally different from our other two black safaris, with their own 30-odd years of changes" color.

I got a wing sung 601 a couple days ago. I haven't really taken it anywhere, but it doesn't seem to be leaking, which is nice. Also I didn't have to fully flush it, which is double-nice, because doing so is a huge pain in the rear end involving a great deal of disassembly. Good thing it likes pilot black, I guess.

Also, it took like two of those little ink cup things to fill properly. Nothing like taking a break from fiddling with a vacuum plunger to close and invert a bottle of ink, I guess. Writes nicely, though. It seems to have a larger sweet spot than any of my hero 616s.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
It is absolutely ridiculous that they'll release a "literally just black" but they won't put out a green Al-Star that isn't some weird off-shade or a Safari that isn't fluorescent lime.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
Is there anywhere in the US I can buy a sample of De Atramentis Bookworm? Neither Anderson nor Goulet seem to have it.

Avian Pneumonia
May 24, 2006

ASK ME ABOUT MY OPINIONS ON CANCEL CULTURE
I love mechanical pencils and have several rotring pencils.

But sometimes I must use a pen.

What's a really nice rollerball pen? I've been using a pilot precise v5 rt and I love it but would love to upgrade to something less disposable and plastic.
Also it must be retractable.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

Avian Pneumonia posted:

What's a really nice rollerball pen? I've been using a pilot precise v5 rt and I love it but would love to upgrade to something less disposable and plastic.

Get out.

I'm kidding. For disposable but nice, try Uniball Jetstream Pens. Those are fantastic.

For non-disposable, maybe a fisher space pen? Or a Lamy rollerball version?

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I don't use rollerballs much because I either use FPs or need something that'll write on really crappy surfaces, but a friend does all his writing with rollerballs, and swears by Retro 51 Tornados. Not sure if he uses the Tornado refills across the board or not.

Also there's a lot of machined pens that'll take a rollerball refill if you really want to splurge. BIGiDESIGN Ti Arto (which will actually take just about every refill you can find), SCHON DSGN, Karas Kustoms, etc.

Edit: Whoops I missed the part where you said it must be a clicky pen. That rules out most of the stuff I recommended, a lot of fancy machined pens are capped and Tornados are twists. Karas Kustoms Retrakt still kind of fits the bill. Otherwise you might kind of be limited to plastic pens. If gel pens are acceptable as well, there are at least a few nice versions of popular gel pens. I know there's a fancy version of the Pilot G2 and Pentel Energel at the very least.

MockingQuantum fucked around with this message at 02:51 on May 17, 2018

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Avian Pneumonia posted:

Save up and splurge on a Rotring 600.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

rio posted:

The story I heard is he wanted an ink that behaved on newspaper, for crossword puzzles.

inklesspen posted:

Is there anywhere in the US I can buy a sample of De Atramentis Bookworm? Neither Anderson nor Goulet seem to have it.

Do you want an actual sample or a bottle? Vanness has bottles. They do sell samples of some inks but apparently not that one.