Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
The nazgul sounding like Dr Claw with bad allergies gave them a lot of enjoyable camp
I rewatched the regular trilogy a couple of weeks back and they absolutely hold up and are achievements in film making and prop and costume design

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Runcible Cat posted:

I bet it had some really sweet fantasy art on it. An accountant reconciling a spreadsheet or something.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

nrook posted:

I just read the main section of Lord of the Rings for the first time since high school. I was surprised to find that the long denouement was my favorite part. It’s just such a relief after seeing Frodo and Sam hopeless and struggling for so long.

And I really like the way it shows the effects of war on people. Some go home greater, stronger, and more mature, and problems that would have seemed enormous before prove simple in comparison to the experience of the war. Some go home wiser and more tired but fundamentally the same. And some take wounds of war home that will never really heal. It’s good stuff!

agreed, well put!

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

nrook posted:

The biggest problem with the Jackson films is that we never got to see Eomer's van

Runcible Cat posted:

I bet it had some really sweet fantasy art on it. An accountant reconciling a spreadsheet or something.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Wow

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

:five:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Tolkien's Middle Earth: Eomer's Sweet Van.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Astonishing

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

holy moly

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

the spears in the bike rack holy poo poo. Perfect

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

delightful

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

May the Valar bless you and keep you all the long days of your life.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

if you want this as an avatar, lmk

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Hell, this has gang tag potential

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

No thanks, I'll keep my Wagtail; she brings good posting luck. Someone else can have Eomer In The Van if they want.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yes please

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

OPAONI posted:

Yes please

Not for everybody just the guy who posted it :P

But you can buy it for yourself through the store, you'll need to crop it etc

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Quality new thread title

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

*tires squeal*

"Hey baby, you wanna ride with the Rohirrim?" :wiggle:

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

euphronius posted:

The gods were already intervening. I think they had pretty good confidence they would continue to do so

Yeah, Gandalf mentions this when he's telling Frodo everything about the ring before he leaves. He says "Bilbo was meant to find the ring, and notby its maker. In which case you were meant to have it."

Sauron's victory wasn't assured, but it was inevitable if they did anything else. They mention this in the council of Elrond when they say that if they hesitate then eventually places like Rivendell would be islands in a sea of darkness, and that even they couldn't stand long.

The one chance they had to save the world was to try to do something that everyone knew was impossible: Get a hobbit all the way to mount doom secretly, without getting killed or captured or claiming the ring as his own. And if by some miracle that happened, he would have to throw it into the fire, which couldn't possibly happen. He had had the ring for less than a year I think and he was unwilling to throw it into his own fireplace. It would have literally taken a miracle, so you can kind of understand why people would dismiss that possibility and look for other alternatives. And if they looked long enough, they would find out there literally aren't any alternatives and fall into despair like Saruman and Denethor, Resolve to hold out as long as they can, resisting Sauron to the end like Theoden, or take a leap of faith, like Elrond, Gandalf and Aragorn.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

A Moose posted:

Yeah, Gandalf mentions this when he's telling Frodo everything about the ring before he leaves. He says "Bilbo was meant to find the ring, and notby its maker. In which case you were meant to have it."

Sauron's victory wasn't assured, but it was inevitable if they did anything else. They mention this in the council of Elrond when they say that if they hesitate then eventually places like Rivendell would be islands in a sea of darkness, and that even they couldn't stand long.

The one chance they had to save the world was to try to do something that everyone knew was impossible: Get a hobbit all the way to mount doom secretly, without getting killed or captured or claiming the ring as his own. And if by some miracle that happened, he would have to throw it into the fire, which couldn't possibly happen. He had had the ring for less than a year I think and he was unwilling to throw it into his own fireplace. It would have literally taken a miracle, so you can kind of understand why people would dismiss that possibility and look for other alternatives. And if they looked long enough, they would find out there literally aren't any alternatives and fall into despair like Saruman and Denethor, Resolve to hold out as long as they can, resisting Sauron to the end like Theoden, or take a leap of faith, like Elrond, Gandalf and Aragorn.

he had had it for almost 18 years

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
He didn’t wear it or use it in the 17 years between Bilbo’s birthday and Gandalf coming back right? I can’t remember. Didn’t he just squirrel it away and kind of forget about it?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Mahoning posted:

He didn’t wear it or use it in the 17 years between Bilbo’s birthday and Gandalf coming back right? I can’t remember. Didn’t he just squirrel it away and kind of forget about it?

IIRC he used it to avoid the Sackville-Bagginses too.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He was tempted to use it then. He did not

Tho by the time Gandalf figures it all out Frodo has the ring on a chain that he carries and is not ageing

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Is there a consensus Best Tolkien legendarium podcast?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

I stopped listening to this regularly at Episode 110 in 2020 when I stopped having a long commute - I had just gotten to Rivendell - and have been working through the back catalog of a few other podcasts in the meantime. I have just now gotten back to it and looked up where it has gone in the meantime. TWO AND A HALF GODDAMN YEARS since the ep I stopped at was aired, and they're still in Rivendell.

Olsen certainly has hit upon a way to keep the hustle going forever.

I'm still going to catch up with it one of these days, but I skip the LOTRO bits at the end.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Tbf the council of Elrond is huge

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

euphronius posted:

Tbf the council of Elrond is huge

is that what he calls it

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I stopped listening to this regularly at Episode 110 in 2020 when I stopped having a long commute - I had just gotten to Rivendell - and have been working through the back catalog of a few other podcasts in the meantime. I have just now gotten back to it and looked up where it has gone in the meantime. TWO AND A HALF GODDAMN YEARS since the ep I stopped at was aired, and they're still in Rivendell.

Olsen certainly has hit upon a way to keep the hustle going forever.

I'm still going to catch up with it one of these days, but I skip the LOTRO bits at the end.

This is exactly me, lmao. I stopped listening a few months ago right about when they finally left Rivendell, right about when my treadmill broke and I didn't have as much podcast-listening time. Since then I've started to grind through Behind the Bastards before picking up Exploring LotR again, which I'm on track to do in ... maybe 6 months? They'll probably be midway through Moria by then

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They are still in Rivendell, melon

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Data Graham posted:

This is exactly me, lmao. I stopped listening a few months ago right about when they finally left Rivendell, right about when my treadmill broke and I didn't have as much podcast-listening time. Since then I've started to grind through Behind the Bastards before picking up Exploring LotR again, which I'm on track to do in ... maybe 6 months? They'll probably be midway through Moria by then

Funny, Behind the Bastards is the one I have been binging most and caught up on a few weeks ago.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Is this podcast a nice smorgasbord of discussing Tolkien’s writings or a painfully detailed line by line account of the books? Because I’m looking for more of the former. Basically like this guy but in podcast form. https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCy_g32mFqxga8YMNhUKKl-Q

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I'm not a fan of Corey Olson, who thinks that intelligence and insight is achieved by talking for a really long time about gently caress-all.

To be fair to him, he does recently seem to have managed to boondoggle the state of New Hampshire into giving his vanity project degree-awarding powers; to be unfair to him, Bernard L. Madoff Investment Securities was a perfectly respectable stockbroker until it suddenly wasn't. If he can continue to separate fools from their money, good luck to him.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Any non scam podcasts then?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Am I listening to the wrong thing or is this some dude talking about lord of the rings online? It took everything in me to not turn it off in the first 10 minutes.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Mahoning posted:

Am I listening to the wrong thing or is this some dude talking about lord of the rings online? It took everything in me to not turn it off in the first 10 minutes.

First 10 minutes are updates about his school. Then an hour to 90 minutes of discussion

Last 30 mins or so is lotr field-trip which I never listen to

So I fast forward ten minutes to start usually

(If you don’t have long commutes don’t bother imho unless you like it )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Like a lot of podcasts, that one started out reasonably interesting, then as he gained followers he started to tack more poo poo onto it until it became unlistenable.

The prime period of a podcast is the stretch when they've finally got all the technical issues (mics, editing) sorted out but before they try to monetize it (they will try to monetize it).