Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sleppy
Dec 25, 2008

They probably stopped talking to her because she wouldn't stop posting weird poo poo on facebook. Even with all of this attention he is still making new posts.

creepy FB page posted:

When I got up this morning, Tammy Girl was ALIVE AND WELL, and already downstairs working out.....sweating.....breathing hard.........She looked sexy and incredible like she always does. I got the camera before I grabbed a cup of coffee!

It reads like a parody of someone who is really bad at secrets trying cover for something. My wife is definitely doing ALIVE person things, like moving and breathing. Don't worry she's totally NOT DEAD, I swear!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

joxxuh posted:

There's nothing terribly unusual about getting estranged from your family.

Especially if you post your weird fetish on facebook every day.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I've been spending more and more time watching the Escape channel on my over-the-air channel. Lots of true crime shows, like American Greed, FBI Files, American Justice w/Bill Kurtis. But the one that always unnerves me is Snapped.

Just now, I'm watching the episode about Becky Sears and her son beating her next-door neighbor and best friend Kay Parsons to death with a baseball bat and a claw hammer.

http://murderpedia.org/female.S/s/sears-rebecca.htm
(the older articles start at the bottom of the page. Murderpedia has a weird format)

quote:

Mrs. Parsons, of 229 Hot Springs Drive, was found beaten in her home Wednesday morning and died the next day. Authorities said it appeared she had interrupted a burglary. A coroner's report indicates she suffered severe head injuries from a hammer and a baseball bat found at the scene.
and it gets weird

quote:

To try and derail the investigation, Sears and Bowers staged a shooting days following Parsons’ murder. Though Bowers meant only to threaten his mother with a gun before a “witness” listening from Sears’ mobile phone, he actually pulled the trigger and shot Sears in the leg in front of her Augusta workplace, said Richmond County sheriff’s investigators.
The articles linked don't get into the true weirdness that the show does.

Becky Sears' brother is the one that pointed the police at her and his nephew. While he was jail (for a minor crime), he saw the coverage of both Parsons' murder and Becky's "mugging" on the news and immediately knew it was his sister. He told police that she was having an affair with Kay's husband, and Kay's husband had called it off after confessing to Kay and the Parsons agreed to work on salvaging their marriage. He also said his nephew owned a gun and the caliber (.25) matched the one that Becky was shot with. The kicker was that he said how vindictive his sister was and that she had approached him months prior about whether he knew anyone that could help her get Kay "out of the way".

They also keep touching on what a "different" dynamic Becky and her son, Christopher, had without coming right out and saying it was incestuous. It may not have been, but there was a real creepy vibe that came across on how their mother-son relationship was. That didn't stop her from trying to throw her son under the bus for the whole thing. She says she was all "Will no one rid me of this troublesome neighbor?" to paraphrase King Henry II in Becket, and her son took it upon himself to kill Kay Parsons. Never really did explain why she and her son staged the fake mugging if her son alone was responsible for the murder.

Didn't work. Both she and her son pled out to avoid lethal injection.

quote:

Superior Court Judge Sheryl B. Jolly sentenced both Sears and Bowers to life in prison without parole for murder, life in prison for armed robbery and 20 years for burglary, with the sentences to be served consecutively.

Consecutive sentencing of that nature show just how pissed everyone in the justice system was about the overly malicious way Kay Parsons was murdered, especially by someone who used to be her best friend.

Proteus Jones has a new favorite as of 23:16 on Feb 27, 2017

Aquamarie
Jul 22, 2004

do not swim without knowing jeez
A woman and her toddler were in what appeared to be a fairly non-serious car crash in my old home town a couple days ago. The weird part is, after surviving the crash comma she pulled her son out of the car, and ran towards the nearest lake. Still developing but probably just good ol PPD.

http://www.fox13news.com/news/local-news/238633282-story

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I love the episodes of Forensic Files where for the first 20 minutes you think they're doing some really crack detective work on microfiber samples left at the crime scene or whatever, only to reveal in the final 5 minutes that the killer openly bragged about the murder to 10 different people or something equally stupid that wouldn't have even required any forensic testing to convict.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Remember that cult that made a chemical attack inside the Tokyo subway in 1995? Well, they supposedly made a game about themselves back in the day.

http://blog.attractmo.de/post/156392815955/a-game-based-upon-a-real-life-act-of-domestic

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Negrostrike posted:

Remember that cult that made a chemical attack inside the Tokyo subway in 1995? Well, they supposedly made a game about themselves back in the day.

http://blog.attractmo.de/post/156392815955/a-game-based-upon-a-real-life-act-of-domestic

Not surprising, Aum Shinrikyo was a cult of loving nerds

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Not surprising, Aum Shinrikyo was a cult of loving nerds

Was? Aren't there STILL a group of weirdos trying to legitimize it in the same way there's a non-profit Scientology breakaway?

E: Although hey, if Sinn Féin can become a legitimate political power and Trump can be POTUS, I guess anything's possible.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Shady Amish Terror posted:

E: Although hey, if Sinn Féin can become a legitimate political power and Trump can be POTUS, I guess anything's possible.

Dude, low blow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOUeauLWEaE

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Was? Aren't there STILL a group of weirdos trying to legitimize it in the same way there's a non-profit Scientology breakaway?

The Scientology breakaways are escapees from a cult trying to cling to some semblance of the structure that they think helped them but without the being a cult part

The Aum leftovers are just a new cult

But yes they do exist, Aleph I think is the current name

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
Fair enough.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

I love the episodes of Forensic Files where for the first 20 minutes you think they're doing some really crack detective work on microfiber samples left at the crime scene or whatever, only to reveal in the final 5 minutes that the killer openly bragged about the murder to 10 different people or something equally stupid that wouldn't have even required any forensic testing to convict.

"Hmm, I could dump this evidence in a random location in the dead of night ....OR I could just take it to my brother in law's property in broad daylight where everyone knows me and my car."

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Scientology at least makes sense for there to be a breakaway that avoids all the weird Xenu poo poo. Because Scientology is mostly just unlicensed therapy for people who think they're too smart to need therapy. If you actually look at those tapes of people doing the audits and stuff, it's basically just low grade counseling that incorporates some minor hypnosis and a few other random real psychological techniques just for nefarious reasons.

DemonDarkhorse
Nov 5, 2011

It's probably not tobacco. You just need to start wiping front-to-back from now on.
One of the (many) crazy things about Aum before the subway attack was that they had tried chemical/bio warfare several times. They used botulin toxin and loving anthrax, but no one noticed and only a few animals died. They also had a supply of VX nerve agent, most recently in the news for being what killed Kim Jong Nam. Asahara wanted to used ebola, but settled on sarin. He tested it on a small town and killed 7 people, but the Japanese government didn't put all this together until after the subway attack. How'd they get all this stuff? The cult was (is?) populated by biochemists and engineers because Aum was an "elite" religion. It attracted college educated, wealthy professionals. Asahara didn't order the attack on the subway until the police started getting interested in Aum. It started under the Diet building, where parliament meets. Asahara's goal was to stop the police from investigating Aum. You'd think he'd want more than that, but no. Just wanted the police off his case. Five teams of cult members punctured packets of liquid sarin in the trains. Train workers picked up the packets to throw them away or just straight up kicked them off the trains and then went on about their business. The trains were in service for up to 2 hours before someone noticed something wasn't right and people began dropping like flies. MIraculously only 12 people died, but over 5000 were affected. Ambulances couldn't get through due to the amount of people in the streets. Police presence was non-existent. Once doctors were finally informed that it was sarin, it was too late to save people or keep them from suffering crippling effects like blindness.

All of the Aum cultists that left the sarin packets escaped, but were eventually caught and sentenced to death. Asahara was caught eventually too, and is on death row, but he says he's innocent. Aum has moved to Russia where it's now called Aleph, and is led by another crazy person. As far as I know, at least the new leader hasn't claimed he's Jesus, Buddha, a pope, has special DNA, is telepathic, and that drinking his blood will make people levitate.

If anyone wants more info, I suggest Underground by Haruki Marukami.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Asahara sold bottles of his own sweat so that's not too insane

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Hot Smart ARYAN Girl posted:

"Hmm, I could dump this evidence in a random location in the dead of night ....OR I could just take it to my brother in law's property in broad daylight where everyone knows me and my car."

If there's one thing I learned from Forensic Files, it's if you're going to bury a body out in the middle of nowhere, don't dig a shallow grave. Take the time and bury it at least six feet under.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

MightyJoe36 posted:

If there's one thing I learned from Forensic Files, it's if you're going to bury a body out in the middle of nowhere, don't dig a shallow grave. Take the time and bury it at least six feet under.

There was one where the lady was buried in her own basement under fresh cement but she was down like 8 feet and they got bored of digging after like 3. So her kids had to push to use GPR to check it out like ten years later.

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

Pick posted:

There was one where the lady was buried in her own basement under fresh cement but she was down like 8 feet and they got bored of digging after like 3. So her kids had to push to use GPR to check it out like ten years later.

I distinctly remember this one. The husband did it and they dug in the basement a bajillion times before they found her body. I think it was the Forensic Files episode "Missing Pearl"

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
There was another one where the husband sent the kids to his mom's, killed his wife, then buried her in the basement of his new house, and they found her because the cement was still wet. He claimed he'd redone the floor to make it lower because the kids liked to play basketball down there.

The bad worst part is he managed to cast enough doubt (by having his sister say his wife was still alive and calling her regularly uhhh no she can't talk right now she's busy) that at least one of the kids still believes he's innocent.

A Pinball Wizard has a new favorite as of 03:04 on Mar 3, 2017

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Aquamarie posted:

A woman and her toddler were in what appeared to be a fairly non-serious car crash in my old home town a couple days ago. The weird part is, after surviving the crash comma she pulled her son out of the car, and ran towards the nearest lake. Still developing but probably just good ol PPD.

http://www.fox13news.com/news/local-news/238633282-story

The kid is 2 years old, so it might be a mental health thing but it's not PPD unless she has another baby.

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

An episode of Forensic Files I watched recently described the most hosed up thing I've ever heard. Watch the first 4 minutes and tell me I'm over-reacting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrOwycIcqWc

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
I was not expecting that :stare:

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
jesus christ :catstare:

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

good loving lord

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo what the gently caress. Are there other cases of that happening?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
:aaaaa:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Well huh.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

Aesop Poprock posted:

Holy poo poo what the gently caress. Are there other cases of that happening?

Braindeath is a hell of a thing. I can't think of any other particular stories quite that...jarring, but I'm sure they're out there.

It actually sounded remarkably similar to every description of sleepwalking behaviors I've ever seen. Muscle memory allows people to (clumsily, inaccurately) perform many routine actions even without conscious function (often with errors, like pissing in trashcans instead of toilets in the morning). There's just...usually a bit less blood.

In a way, it's almost peaceful, as violent disfiguring murder goes. The dude's actual suffering may have been fairly brief, and his hindbrain probably never even realized that there wasn't really any cognitive ability left to take over normal functioning after his morning routine. Almost peaceful.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Locked himself out and let himself back in. The brain is loving weird.

Nermal.
Mar 16, 2003

Hello!
Makes me wonder what I'd do if I regained consciousness with the same part of my brain destroyed.

:pram:

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
That was a really disturbing episode.
:catstare:

Hoopy Frood
May 1, 2008

DemonDarkhorse posted:

One of the (many) crazy things about Aum before the subway attack was that they had tried chemical/bio warfare several times. They used botulin toxin and loving anthrax, but no one noticed and only a few animals died. They also had a supply of VX nerve agent, most recently in the news for being what killed Kim Jong Nam. Asahara wanted to used ebola, but settled on sarin. He tested it on a small town and killed 7 people, but the Japanese government didn't put all this together until after the subway attack. How'd they get all this stuff? The cult was (is?) populated by biochemists and engineers because Aum was an "elite" religion.

My favourite theory about this cult is that they tested a low-yield nuclear device on a remote cattle station they owned in outback Australia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banjawarn_Station (see: Seismic Event)

"Following the revelation that Banjawarn was owned by the Aum, there was also speculation in 1997 that this event might have been the result of a test explosion of a nuclear device they had built. The event was determined to have had the strength of "a small nuclear explosion, perhaps equal to up to 2,000 tons of high explosives".[10] It was known that Aum were interested in developing nuclear as well as chemical weapons, as they had recruited two nuclear engineers from the former Soviet Union and had been mining uranium at Banjawarn. This was reported in 1997 in the New York Times.[10] However, the AFP investigation found no evidence of this or of any equipment that might indicate such research."

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Nermal. posted:

Makes me wonder what I'd do if I regained consciousness with the same part of my brain destroyed.

:pram:
Lol you've posted this every day since the accident.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Today's featured article on Wikipedia seems suited for this thread:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabrina_Sidney

quote:

Thomas Day was a bachelor who had inherited his fortune from his father when he was an infant. Described as having a face pockmarked from smallpox, a brooding personality, and a short temper, Day attended Corpus Christi College, Oxford, to study philosophy. It was there that he decided to dedicate his life to becoming a virtuous man, shunning luxury, and focusing on altruism. Around the same time he developed a list of requirements for his future wife, that she should be subservient and pure, but also able to discuss philosophy and live without frivolities. These high standards, combined with his generally unlikeable personality, meant that his advances were rejected by several women while he was at university.

Day was introduced to the work of Jean-Jacques Rousseau by his friend Richard Lovell Edgeworth; the pair shared a particular affinity for Rousseau's work on education in the book Emile, or On Education. On leaving Oxford, Edgeworth and Day attempted to teach Edgeworth's first son, Dick, in the style of Emile, a learning-by-doing approach. Accompanying Edgeworth to Ireland as Dick's tutor, Day fell in love and was spurned first by Edgeworth's sister, and then by at least three other women in quick succession.

Day came to the conclusion that he would be unable to find a wife who would meet his high standards and largely blamed women's education for this. Inspired by the character of Sophie in Rousseau's Emile, he resolved to "create" his ideal wife by raising her from adolescence, using the techniques laid out in the book.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
LAWSUIT: Female rapes disabled student then gets him expelled, university fires his dad

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
oh those females!!! :argh:

I mean, it's a real story, and the woman involved outright admitted the guy was too drunk to consent so she really did actually rape him and that's horrible -- but here's an actual legitimate news source instead of an alt right blog? http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/crime-and-courts/2016/12/13/lawsuit-men-treated-unfairly-college-sex-assault-cases/95384132/

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

InediblePenguin posted:

oh those females!!! :argh:

I mean, it's a real story, and the woman involved outright admitted the guy was too drunk to consent so she really did actually rape him and that's horrible -- but here's an actual legitimate news source instead of an alt right blog? http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/crime-and-courts/2016/12/13/lawsuit-men-treated-unfairly-college-sex-assault-cases/95384132/

fair enough, thanks for finding a better writeup

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Olewithmilk posted:

An episode of Forensic Files I watched recently described the most hosed up thing I've ever heard. Watch the first 4 minutes and tell me I'm over-reacting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrOwycIcqWc
can someone transcribe this hosed up thing instead of making tantalising comments

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Avshalom posted:

can someone transcribe this hosed up thing instead of making tantalising comments

Axe murder/attempted axe murder.

One of the heavily brain‐damaged victims got up hours later and started doing morning chores on autopilot before finally succumbing to his wounds.

The perp is the son and didn’t deserve such good parents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
:gonk: