Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Night10194 posted:

Pubbieswhy.jpg. This would've been my x2, too. I took out 4 T6 BBs with a Nicholas. 4.

Sometimes pubbies just don't want to win. Of the 2 ships on our team left alive, one was a Clemson that TK'd a friendly (and nearly TK'd two other friendlies, myself included). He kept shooting his torps from 10+ KM at enemies, only ever putting allies in danger.

New Minekaze is fine, I guess. The angles on the torpedo launchers aren't THAT bad, and it teaches a pretty good skill, DONT DUMP ALL YOUR TORPS AT ONCE. Also, the guns are actually usable now. All IJN DDs have fairly acceptable traverse now. The Mutsuki's traverse is nearly as good as the Nicholas/Farragut/Mahan's at 14 seconds with the gun upgrade.

Hazdoc fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Sep 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

I hate to say this but the Furutaka seems to have suddenly become the loving bane of my existence in low tier BBS.

It hits quite hard and fast, it's very nimble, torps are OK and turns quickly. They are still easy meat at distance but let them get close up where you can't maneuver and I just get pounded.

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

Tank Boy Ken posted:

I'm undecided wether I should keep or sell my Aoba. Selling my Cleveland was a no-brainer since I didn't like the guns.

I'd sell the Aoba, the Myoko is the Aoba++, it's just plain more fun, and I'm finding it even more dominant.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Hazdoc posted:

Sometimes pubbies just don't want to win. Of the 2 ships on our team left alive, one was a Clemson that TK'd a friendly (and nearly TK'd two other friendlies, myself included). He kept shooting his torps from 10+ KM at enemies, only ever putting allies in danger.

Had a game yesterday in my Aoba with probably the dumbest pubbie I've ever seen so far. He's our last ship and has a good 70% of his HP left still vs 2 Clevelands and a CV. Both cruisers and the CV were spotted and within 15km. So as a player when you see a 500 HP Cleveland trying to come in to ram your BB do you A) Just fire one set of guns and blow him up then turn your focus on the other Cleveland or B) Ram/let him ram your Fuso and lose the game? If you chose B like he did, well I dont know what to say to you.

Replay skip to about 5 minutes remaining.

DurosKlav fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Sep 7, 2015

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
To be fair, the game doesn't really tell you that you will always receive the opposing ship's max HP in damage on a ram. It's not the most intuitive thing.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

PirateBob posted:

To be fair, the game doesn't really tell you that you will always receive the opposing ship's max HP in damage on a ram. It's not the most intuitive thing.

On the other hand, ramming, like capping, is something that pubbies are inexplicably drawn to and will attempt 100% of the time regardless of the situation.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Astroniomix posted:

On the other hand, ramming, like capping, is something that pubbies are inexplicably drawn to and will attempt 100% of the time regardless of the situation.

You mean "not capping", right? Capping is good, and pubbies doing it would make my life so much easier.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Astroniomix posted:

Ramming is incredibly fun, though. They never really believe you're going for it until it's too late.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

God drat the Aoba is great.

It does say 13:50 but I didnt think to take a pic for a minute or 2. I managed 20 hits, 12 Citadels, and 3 kills before the game hit the 15 minutes remaining mark. Of course after the third kill I ran into a friendly torpedo fired by one of 2 loving destroyers who were behind me because pubbies are loving stupid when it comes to checking their fire with torpedoes.

Hazdoc posted:

You mean "not capping", right? Capping is good, and pubbies doing it would make my life so much easier.

Ya pubbies are completely anti capping. They'd rather chase a single guy to get a kill and lose than to cap and win.

Night10194 posted:

Ramming is incredibly fun, though. They never really believe you're going for it until it's too late.

I've become kind of god like in avoiding rams by the slimmest of margins it feels loving great when you avoid a ram by inches.

DurosKlav fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Sep 7, 2015

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Man, you are a way better citadel shooter than me.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

DurosKlav posted:

God drat the Aoba is great.

It does say 13:50 but I didnt think to take a pic for a minute or 2. I managed 20 hits, 12 Citadels, and 3 kills before the game hit the 15 minutes remaining mark. Of course after the third kill I ran into a friendly torpedo fired by one of 2 loving destroyers who were behind me because pubbies are loving stupid when it comes to checking their fire with torpedoes.

Ya pubbies are completely anti capping. They'd rather chase a single guy to get a kill and lose than to cap and win.

I've become kind of god like in avoiding rams by the slimmest of margins it feels loving great when you avoid a ram by inches.

Except on that loving ocean map, they will happily sit in the cap and let enemy Clevelands rain napalm on them.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Night10194 posted:

Man, you are a way better citadel shooter than me.

Its easy when they dont bother turning their broadsides away from you after the first salvo drops their health a ton. When you hear that ringing noise then the heartbeat noise, turn your drat ship as hard as possible because someone is zeroed in on your rear end.

DurosKlav fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Sep 7, 2015

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

What's the best upgrades for a BB? I'm looking at either the Fire Control to increase my range on the New York, or the one that makes my guns traverse faster.

They're pretty expensive, so I don't want to screw the choice up.

Devorum fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Sep 7, 2015

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

DurosKlav posted:

Its easy when they dont bother turning their broadsides away from you after the first salvo drops their health a ton. When you hear that ringing noise then the heartbeat noise, turn your drat ship as hard as possible because someone is zeroed in on your rear end.

Pubbies don't listen to the beeping from incoming torpedoes, why would they pay attention to any of this?

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Devorum posted:

What's the best upgrades for a BB? I'm looking at either the Fire Control to increase my range on the New York, or the one that makes my guns traverse faster.

Really wish you could look at upgrades for ships you dont own. I dont know if you can get any of these or not but on my US BBs I get Main battery mod(less chance of turret blowing up), Gun fire control system mod 1(+ main battery firing range), Gun fire control system 2(Main battery accuracy/why did they name 2 different mods the same?), Damage control system(less chance of flooding/fire), and finally stearing gears mod(faster rudder)

James Garfield posted:

In that slot you'll want fire control up to tier 8. From tier 8 up your base range is already good enough, so probably the AA upgrade (or fire control, if you really want to shoot from 27 km away). Don't pick the gun rotation upgrade, it's a trap that makes your reload slower.

This pretty much although I still took range increase on the Iowa since its still drat accurate at that increased range, and you can lay some major hurt on enemy BB. Its also a cheaper substitution for the range increase on the Iowa you unlock with XP. God drat they need a better naming system, all 3 of those things share a name.

DurosKlav fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Sep 7, 2015

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Devorum posted:

In that slot you'll want fire control up to tier 8. From tier 8 up your base range is already good enough, so probably the AA upgrade (or fire control, if you really want to shoot from 27 km away). Don't pick the gun rotation upgrade, it's a trap that makes your reload slower.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Screw all my other good games. I just had my proudest moment in the game yet. Anyway guy came as close as humanly possible to calling me an aimbotter without actually calling me one.

Used replay to get the beginning.

Is there no greater feeling in a multiplayer game, as playing so well you're being called a hacker and a cheater? I say that it is the pinnacle of achievement.

DurosKlav fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Sep 7, 2015

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Charged into 3 cruisers and rammed a full hp New Orleans to death (First Blood), still got highest base xp (1,250) on win than pubbies :colbert:

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe
I just started playing this a week or so ago, and for the life of me I can't figure out how to use the American battleships.

I want to stick with them because the later ones look really good, but all the ones so far have such horrible speed and range that they feel useless.

The Japanese ones (and even a lot of cruisers) can just stay at range and blast the crap out of me as they have longer range and faster engines.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there some secret strategy?

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Well I started playing New York, and because of its lovely speed and accuracy I just use terrain to get as close as possible before being spotted.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

SerCypher posted:

I just started playing this a week or so ago, and for the life of me I can't figure out how to use the American battleships.

I want to stick with them because the later ones look really good, but all the ones so far have such horrible speed and range that they feel useless.

The Japanese ones (and even a lot of cruisers) can just stay at range and blast the crap out of me as they have longer range and faster engines.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there some secret strategy?

I'm just getting the hang of the New York after upgrading the everything. It's not a bad boat...just a little underwhelming compared to it's IJN counterpart.

The speed is the worst part, but once you have all the upgrades it becomes much more accurate at medium ranges, and I can usually drop a T5 or lower cruiser in a single salvo at 13km or less if they show me their broadside.

Mostly I just drive towards enemy ships looking scary and absorbing damage while, hopefully, my teeammates are killing the boats killing me. I'd like to do more, but honestly once your path is set in an 18 Knot behemoth, you're kind of stuck.

gently caress any match with CVs, though. If the opposing team has more than one CV, I just quit. I'm not trying to play World of Dodge the Torpedo Bombers for 20 minutes.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

First match in a while, get intentionally tk'd from almost full health by a friendly DD and we l;ose because our cleveland decides to 1v1 their full health amagi at like 5k at 950/1000 points.

Good to see the game hasn't changed.

Melraidin
Oct 11, 2005
Getting within 20k XP of Colorado. Do I use my free XP (and pay to free some from other ships) to bypass the Colorado or do I play it? I just don't want to start playing it, find it's terrible, then be stuck for credits if I try to get around it.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

From everything I've heard, skip it as much as possible.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Skip if at all possible.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
Is it just me, or are the Japanese destroyers at low tiers super fun to play?

Umikaze was made of tinfoil, but the Wakatake is so far treating me VERY nicely.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Sperglord Firecock posted:

Is it just me, or are the Japanese destroyers at low tiers super fun to play?

Umikaze was made of tinfoil, but the Wakatake is so far treating me VERY nicely.

No it's literally only you. You are the only person on this entire world who thinks so. Despite the fact that literally everyone in the thread said sol

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I rebought the Furutaka because A: I'm an idiot and B: A friend of mine just got it and man it's been improved.

Also, I got a Devstrike on an enemy Furutaka by Citing him 5 times in one volley. When I first thought these guns were inaccurate, I was insanely wrong.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
I was doubtful that New York would be able to penetrate Amagi up close, but it did! Managed to get 3 citadel hits + some more damage and sunk it.

e: Hating lovely accuracy on New York, but I know Colorado is worse :unsmith:

Aesis fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Sep 8, 2015

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Aesis posted:

e: Hating lovely accuracy on New York, but I know Colorado is worse :unsmith:

Accuracy is actually just a function of range (for a given nation and ship class), so Colorado is just as accurate as New York at the same range :eng101:

Yes that's right, all US battleship guns have the same dispersion at the same range. All that changes is muzzle velocity and gun layout.
:wargaming:

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Kinda sucks having big rear end dispersion even at 8km, then salvo firing inside 5 km and hitting a cruiser so accurately I get 4 citadel hits :stare:

ElZilcho
Apr 4, 2007

Awwww poo poo

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

Melraidin posted:

Getting within 20k XP of Colorado. Do I use my free XP (and pay to free some from other ships) to bypass the Colorado or do I play it? I just don't want to start playing it, find it's terrible, then be stuck for credits if I try to get around it.

I spent something like 210k free xp to completely skip the Colorado and fully upgrade the North Carolina. Don't regret it for one minute.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Good thing this game is so loving boring that I have no urge to buy that poo poo for that price.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

ElZilcho posted:

Awwww poo poo

Asia server?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Tahirovic posted:

Good thing this game is so loving boring that I have no urge to buy that poo poo for that price.

You know you want it :D

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I would like the Tirpitz for the torpedo gimmick, but not at that price. It's got a pretty snarky rudder shift time too, it seems. Wargaming already has enough of my money from tanks.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

The Tirpitz is border line OP, it's a really nice ship. My only gripe with it is that pubbies seem to hate to get it scratched and will sit at max range trying to shoot stuff and it's not good for that. Get around 10-12km and unleash hell. :black101:

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
I seriously don't get how they can gently caress up concealment. They implemented it alright on WoT but this absolute value of 'can't get spotted at all past X range' is utter bull poo poo. Also DDs sitting inside smoke 2 km off and I can't spot but they can? Wow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

In all fairness, it took them about three years to get spotting/camouflage right in tanks and it's still wonky at times. Just give Warships the same amount of time.