Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Christmas Cake posted:

gently caress. It's almost been four years since the last KAKU-tail.
Who needs KAKU-tails when we now have BBEMYBABY collaborations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Christmas Cake
Dec 25, 2008

Polsy posted:

I don't even know where people keep up with "events", I don't really catch anything unless I happen to already be following someone who contributes to a thing.

I usually catch them through announcements that hit the charts. That one's always been my favorite recurring event. Might make a good simulwatch some time, actually.

Zenostein posted:

I assume I'm overthinking it and Miku isn't saying heatstroke?

We can only assume she's trying.

Congratulations on your sugar heart.

Zettace posted:

Who needs KAKU-tails when we now have BBEMYBABY collaborations.

If they had one now, it would clearly include BBEMYBABY.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Zenostein posted:

!!! I can't believe a solo paid off wtf

Very nice

Christmas Cake posted:

I usually catch them through announcements that hit the charts. That one's always been my favorite recurring event. Might make a good simulwatch some time, actually.

Actually I think I saw an announcement a couple of months ago for something then forgot about it again before people actually started posting their videos for it. The only thing I really notice is the annual MMD cup because despite the decline in actual vocaloid music posting that still covers the full site rankings for like a week.

I could go for a curated Nico Nico Douga simulwatch of some sort.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

good news everyone Mami is up to idol rank B and nearly ready for the XTREME LIVE

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Super No Vacancy posted:

good news everyone Mami is up to idol rank B and nearly ready for the XTREME LIVE

It's a tricky one, but I believe in you

e:

Polsy fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Nov 18, 2016

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
So four new idols are getting voices (Nono et. all, which I guess were announced a while ago), which is fine, but seriously

Where's Pottery-chan's voice? A crime, I say.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Zenostein posted:

Okay, now I've used up all my luck for the year.

!!! I can't believe a solo paid off wtf

Nice pull; die; and solos actually are more fruitful than 10 pulls for me.

I like that she gets a voice and an SSR on the same day. Well played.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Sylphid posted:

So four new idols are getting voices (Nono et. all, which I guess were announced a while ago), which is fine, but seriously

Where's Pottery-chan's voice? A crime, I say.

Trust in voters to lift her up next election.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

graybook posted:

Trust in voters to lift her up next election.

I would hope so, because

Pottery-

chan

is

very

good

Did I mention she's good?

Oh, apparently she was in 10th place for the 5th anniversary election. Not bad for an unvoiced idol! This gives me hope. Oh man, you gotta be kidding me. Finishing in the top 3 for one of the types guarantees the idol gets voiced if they're not voiced already, and Pottery-chan was 4th place (just behind Nono). How frustrating.

Sylphid fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Nov 19, 2016

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Sylphid posted:

Oh, apparently she was in 10th place for the 5th anniversary election. Not bad for an unvoiced idol! This gives me hope. Oh man, you gotta be kidding me. Finishing in the top 3 for one of the types guarantees the idol gets voiced if they're not voiced already, and Pottery-chan was 4th place (just behind Nono). How frustrating.

Think of it as something to look forward to, then.

You know, unless someone else suddenly gets freakishly popular in the next year.

Polsy posted:

Very nice

Actually I think I saw an announcement a couple of months ago for something then forgot about it again before people actually started posting their videos for it. The only thing I really notice is the annual MMD cup because despite the decline in actual vocaloid music posting that still covers the full site rankings for like a week.

I could go for a curated Nico Nico Douga simulwatch of some sort.

That could be neat.
Is there actually a decline in vocaloiding? Because they're still like 1/3 of the rankings every time i look at them in nicobox. And y'know, they still have their own fancy Nsen station, just like the tohous

Honestly, I wish there were more of those stations, because a) that'd be a pretty slick way to run a simulwatch, and b) that's way easier than praying you hit on the right keywords/tags for something interesting

:v: I got a 2nd Ruby from a few events ago in the gatcha
Thanks SIF, it only took like three years (and SRs getting knocked down a peg) but finally I have an idolized SR in every type. …and two of them are Aquors anyway lol

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

there's not a single finished pot in this post.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

She's busy planting, the pots need time to cure.

A watched pot never sets, you know.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

You asked for it.

I just don't know what I'll do with myself if Pottery-chan never gets a voice.

Christmas Cake
Dec 25, 2008

Zenostein posted:

Honestly, I wish there were more of those stations, because a) that'd be a pretty slick way to run a simulwatch, and b) that's way easier than praying you hit on the right keywords/tags for something interesting

I think it's done with a third party bot but there are several streamers on nico live that just play assorted videos and take requests. I used to follow the daily Yukiho, Makoto, and general iM@S block.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I can see why people have Nendoroid collections. Rin has a bowl of noodles and maracas.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Zenostein posted:

Is there actually a decline in vocaloiding? Because they're still like 1/3 of the rankings every time i look at them in nicobox. And y'know, they still have their own fancy Nsen station, just like the tohous

It depends which chart that is, but rigiht now there's two songs in the daily mylisted charts and just one in the weekly, that's a long way from what it used to be. But then, so is im@s.

tbf I had to go back to 2009 to get the kind of evidence I was looking for, it hasn't really covered the whole rankings like that in a long while.

Christmas Cake posted:

I think it's done with a third party bot but there are several streamers on nico live that just play assorted videos and take requests. I used to follow the daily Yukiho, Makoto, and general iM@S block.

Most of my free time is the middle of the night for Japan so I usually have to miss them, though sometimes the Miki streamer starts just early enough for me to manage. Doesn't seem like any of them are popular enough to be daily any more, though.

e:

Event song isn't terribly complex, I'm expecting high scores again

Polsy fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Nov 19, 2016

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Thank you for your produce

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
The song isn't particularly hard but it's really fast which will probably be tiring if you're playing the song over and over.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Polsy posted:

It depends which chart that is, but rigiht now there's two songs in the daily mylisted charts and just one in the weekly, that's a long way from what it used to be. But then, so is im@s.

tbf I had to go back to 2009 to get the kind of evidence I was looking for, it hasn't really covered the whole rankings like that in a long while.

e:

Event song isn't terribly complex, I'm expecting high scores again

Ah, because "Woh" is apparently how you spell that (at least that's how it is in the lyricslol).

Kinda disappointed that a) Akane, not Aiko, and b) Tamami but no Ayame to match. But apparently it is not just an Aiko song, so that makes sense. And so does this video(yt) which I had assumed was some regular-rear end shipping stuff.

I have no idea what ranking this is: the only time I really look at them is in nicobox, and it's default "category" is "Nicoboxトレンド," so I guess it's focusing on stuff searched for in-app, unlike ニコニコインディーズ which has uh… a lot less vocaloiding, unless you assume everything titled [original] is vocaloidin'. Honestly, I couldn't really say, since actually spotting vocaloid stuff kinda relies on knowing the name of the various libraries and I don't. So sure, the 1st three in the VOCALOID category (all-time) are tagged 【初音ミク】(or similar) but the next one is 【鏡音リン】and 【オリジナル】, but that only helps if you know that's a vocaloid. The no.2 daily top isn't tagged as anything vocaloidy, unless you think vocaloids are zombies.

Well, the last time I looked the top 10 of the ranking was actually various covers of some song from kimi no na ha, so I guess it's hard for computer voices to win out over hot new anime films. Hell, the every time I looked at the rankings on the nicovideo landing page the no.1 was some sort of idol sex scandal video. Doesn't matter what I set the region to, if there's an idol sex scandal video it'll always be trending. (Well, right now the top two trends are Kancolle (event on) and Shin, some sort of …idk, niconico science club?, and then jojos. So much BEMYBABY(DEREMAS flavor! (nico)). Speaking of which, I swear they used Nana's distressingly wet-sounding crunch sound for Shin's commus. God, I hate that sound.

I haven't even seen the MV yet, but so far I've seen a ton of windows XP comments and also a screencap with godzilla thrown in the background, so that's exciting!

Christmas Cake posted:

Yeah, it's just occurred to me that I've used something like that for youtube, so of course there'd be something similar for niconico. I'm not really sure how it kept the video synced for everyone, though… (and I can't even remember the site), but it was like a regular-rear end livestream site, only the livestream was a youtube.

Christmas Cake
Dec 25, 2008

Polsy posted:

Doesn't seem like any of them are popular enough to be daily any more, though.

If MomototoP isn't daily any more, that's how you know the world has ended.
http://com.nicovideo.jp/community/co43

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Zenostein posted:

So sure, the 1st three in the VOCALOID category (all-time) are tagged 【初音ミク】(or similar) but the next one is 【鏡音リン】and 【オリジナル】, but that only helps if you know that's a vocaloid. The no.2 daily top isn't tagged as anything vocaloidy, unless you think vocaloids are zombies.

Oh, yeah, I missed the zombie one. I do recognise all the vocaloid names, but not when they don't put them in the title at all.

Zenostein posted:

I haven't even seen the MV yet, but so far I've seen a ton of windows XP comments and also a screencap with godzilla thrown in the background, so that's exciting!

MV technology is definitely continuing to progress. Also it made a bunch of people's phones (mine) throw an error and you have to clear your cache to get past it.

Zenostein posted:

Yeah, it's just occurred to me that I've used something like that for youtube, so of course there'd be something similar for niconico. I'm not really sure how it kept the video synced for everyone, though… (and I can't even remember the site), but it was like a regular-rear end livestream site, only the livestream was a youtube.

I imagine you'd just stream it from your end, it's true that the nico ones generally force the viewer to play the video from their end but that's just a convenience factor for streamers with bad upload.

Christmas Cake posted:

If MomototoP isn't daily any more, that's how you know the world has ended.
http://com.nicovideo.jp/community/co43

Ah, still a midnight/1am streamer for me depending on DST status, but good. Actually I'd given myself the impression a while back that half the remaining co43 streams were just of people talking but on closer inspection I never let the video load in and they're actually people talking on top of a video request show.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Polsy posted:

MV technology is definitely continuing to progress. Also it made a bunch of people's phones (mine) throw an error and you have to clear your cache to get past it.

Ah, still a midnight/1am streamer for me depending on DST status, but good. Actually I'd given myself the impression a while back that half the remaining co43 streams were just of people talking but on closer inspection I never let the video load in and they're actually people talking on top of a video request show.

Oh, you're not kidding. That's actually pretty impressive (polsy). I figured the SSR flower-Yumi in a field of flowers I saw was cherry-picking, but that's not even the most impressive part! They've certainly come a long way from "five idols stand in a line and move their arms a bit!" Also, thanks for that heads-up, eventually I will sort out a team so I can enjoy the MV in significantly better quality than niconico economy mode.

Incidentally, for those who aren't gonna look at that lovely lovely video

The comments, predictably, skew the same.

https://twitter.com/ment50/status/799903602584088576

…close enough, probably.

e. Incidentally, and apropos of nothing, the clear cache option is under the title screen's menu (the @ icon in the upper left. 【キャッシュクリア】
It also takes a goddamn dog's age, presumably because it's never been cleared and thus has all that cruft from like, version 1.

Maybe now this poo poo won't randomly crash so much♪

Zenostein fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Nov 19, 2016

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Ooh, that's animated, too? That's some amazing animation for Yoshino~
What's it from? When it floated past me, the only comment was about how Karen'd positioned herself near Pchan.

Also shoutout to the auto-accepting presents from the mission pane. Now if you mindlessly click through, you'll end up at the present box, rather than at the mission screen, and then at the present box!

Now for something different: this is the tutorial video for a new battle mode in Tokyo 7th Sisters. It seems it's meant as a replacement for the normal mobage-type of battles (where numbers go into a pot and eventually someone's team falls), by doing that but also sticking in a rhythm game. …a different rhythm game, rather, since there's already a regular rhythm game in the game. This one's pretty perplexing — I sure as hell can't stick the timing for these. It's a bit like simon says, only you have to also follow a beat and it's not terribly clear when you're meant to start. But it is interesting, so I figured I'd share.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Some quick thoughts on Love Live Sunshine Episode 1.

Overall, way superior to LL Episode 1.

Dia makes for a much better student council president / antagonist than Eli cause she's not portrayed as this stupid serious jerk like Eli was in the beginning. She's far more emotional than Eli, who was pretty much just aloof and cold. It makes the interactions between Chika and Dia far more enjoyable to watch, cause you can actually see Dia react to Chika's hijinks, like her barely repressed outburst when Chika just hands her a wet piece of paper with two names on it. The really short scene where one eyebrow twitches like hell, followed by her and Chika yelling at each other with their knee / leg on the desk was super fun, I actually went back to check cause I thought I'd imagined the eyebrow twitch at first.

I remember back when information on Sunshine was airing people were saying it had the exact same "save the school" plot as the original Love Live but I guess that got changed or people were making stuff up cause that doesn't get mentioned at all. And I really like Chika's motivations for wanting to be a school idol, and I could totally empathize with her when she talked about being normal, cause I've felt normal all my life. I don't agree with her in wanting to be a school idol, but everything she said was something I could totally get someone feeling.

Sunshine also had Chika meet the characters in a more engaging way than LL, and she pretty much met everyone besides Mari by the end of the episode. This lets the viewer get acquainted with them better, which I've discussed with previous LL and iM@S and CG posts. I really like it.

I was gonna wonder how Riko was unaware of Muse given that she apparently came from the same high school as them, but then again, Chika wasn't even aware of who Dia was. On the other hand, I'm pretty sure I would have known if a celebrity came from my school (especially if it was like 1 ~ 2 years ago!) while I was unaware of my school council presidents in elementary and middle school. Guess Riko really focuses on her music.

So far, I like Dia, Yoshiko, and Ruby a lot and the rest are good with the exception of Kanan and Mari who I barely got to know.

Yoshiko's voice is not what I was expecting it to sound like. Probably because I'm so used to Ranko and Rika (from Chu2), who were voiced by the same person.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

... Why is she a fruit??? please someone explain

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

deathbot posted:

Hanayo is Japanese for a subspecies of mandarin orange.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Episode 2 of Love Live Sunshine and holy poo poo this episode was so good.

Riko is now a top tier Aqours. I guess Oreos was right when he said I'd love her; at this moment it's a toss between Dia and Riko.

One thing I really liked was how the episode dealt with Riko's personal hangups and how Chika helps her through them. Like, when they're diving, Riko is utterly focused on what she sees in the ocean, so she just keeps looking down into the dark waters, and comes to the conclusion that she can't see or hear anything. But Chika and You get her to look up and see the sun shining down on the water from above, which gives her the inspiration she was seeking. It's really nice, because it shows how people can find different perspectives on one thing - if you think about a unique underwater view, you tend to think of fish and coral reefs and shells and whatnot, but the view that Chika and co. found was yet another alternative unique view that could also only be found in the water. It ties in nicely to Riko's unwillingness to be a school idol and her belief in all-inning on the piano, and Chika offering her an alternate choice of refinding her spark as a school idol and returning to the piano later. The two of them reaching each other was also great because of that. While Riko doesn't believe they can reach it other, because you realistically can't with just your arms at that distance, Chika goes further and beyond and pretty much hangs on the balcony on one leg, literally taking a step further so she can help Riko reach her.

Though that is pretty dangerous.

Dia and Chika arguing is simply amazing. Again, really shows how far the series has come since Love Live. I also love "accidentally turning the mic on" gags.

The callback to writing lyrics and Snow Halation was also neat, because Snow Halation was one of the songs that gave viewers a perspective of how Muse came up with the song. Also a case where Riko and You help Chika broaden her perspective by broadening the scope of love as a romantic thing to love as a form of admiration and whatnot.

Dia being a major Muse fan was hinted in the previous episode but it goes full on here. I thought it was a type at first when the subs said "U's" but then I realized that Chika made an understandable mistake with the group's name, and seeing Dia wigging out on her was hilarious.

Chika handing Ruby with candy was also great.

And then of course there's Riko looking up Yume no Tobira on YouTube or whatever, complete with other people reloading the song and the videos all having different titles and uploaders. I guess the one that Riko watched was the official one.

Also laughed at Yume no Tobira have over 1 million views.

Sasuga.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

deathbot posted:

It isn't an idol show until someone is dressed as food.

I like Yoshiko's voice because she's got Ranko's inner and outer voices in one go, and watching her switch is fun.

I do not think I have any thoughts on Sunshine that are worth mentioning at a point that isn't "drat near the end," but it felt a lot goofier in general, which was hella welcome.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
gently caress THE RAIN.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Zenostein posted:

Now for something different: this is the tutorial video for a new battle mode in Tokyo 7th Sisters. It seems it's meant as a replacement for the normal mobage-type of battles (where numbers go into a pot and eventually someone's team falls), by doing that but also sticking in a rhythm game. …a different rhythm game, rather, since there's already a regular rhythm game in the game. This one's pretty perplexing — I sure as hell can't stick the timing for these. It's a bit like simon says, only you have to also follow a beat and it's not terribly clear when you're meant to start. But it is interesting, so I figured I'd share.

Yeah, that doesn't look bad, depending on how perfect/powerful the rival is. Seems like they had some decent leeway in the tutorial but it probably varies in practice.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Episode 3 thoughts.

gently caress THE RAIN. gently caress THE RAIN SO MUCH.

I have a dream that one day we will have an idol anime without any rain!!!!!

I have decided that Mari is a super good character and also a major troll. She is great and I love her jokes and I want more interactions between her and Dia.

Riko continues to be a darling.

Something I'd like to talk about more when I have the time is the subject of inspiration and legacy and whatnot, both in-series and in a meta way given what people were complaining about when Love Live Sunshine was first announced, like calling the Aqours girls X + Y of girls from Muse, or the aforementioned school thing. Like how the series refers to Muse frequently, or even little stuff like the pre-song team cheer thing. When Honoka and co. were at it, they didn't really have a group whose example they could follow; Honoka was inspired by A-RISE, sure, but that was pretty much just for becoming a school idol. Muse as a group has in-universe become far larger than any other school idol group, having even gone overseas, so they're easier to look up to, in a sense, and having Chika (and Dia) be major Muse fans with different opinions is a neat conflict.

The scene at the end where Dia tells Chika that she's just benefiting off Muse's legacy and the kindness of the people in town, whereas Chika says she's well aware of that, but she'd rather go forward cause it's better than doing nothing, is nice. Like, Dia's not wrong, in a sense, but her criticism doesn't really have much of a point. That's how you get things to develop. Trailblazers literally blaze a trail for future generations to walk on. And that's why Muse did everything they did in the movie, because they wanted to create a scene for all school idols before they disbanded. What's the use of a trail if no one walks on it? The achievements of Muse have meaning because people like Chika are willing to traverse down the same road.

The contrast between Dia and Chika makes it feel like, Dia is a major fan of Muse, to the point where she literally worships them (I mean, she even uses religious phrases when talking about them in the subs), but she'd deified them (or idolized, heh) to an extent that she can't bear the thought of anyone else treading on the holy ground and tainting it. Whereas Chika is a fan of Muse, which inspires her love of school idols. She admires Muse, and wants to be like them, because Muse themselves proved that anyone could become a school idol.

It's so great, really. It's like watching two segments of a fandom clash with one another and I love it so much.

The girls coming up with the name Aqours was also neat. None of them even remember who wrote it, but it just sounds okay so they go with it. Also laugh out loud at them just... putting a sticker over the flyers they printed after they figured out the group name.

Also did I mention that I hate the rain. Cause I do. gently caress the rain.

I'm glad that the rain actually wasn't going to have an effect on the concert and loving laugh out loud at Chika getting the time wrong.

Also hilarious is that the anime plays out in a way that makes it seem like Aqours sang most of the song, the lights went out, Aqours sang a bit more before losing motivation, the lights came back on and more people came, and then Aqours finished the last few lines.

I mean, I'm sure it wasn't actually like that but still.

Also still can't get over the idea of people coming to see a group sing one total song and then leaving.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That wasn't short at all!!!!

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
God told me to stop watching Love Live Sunshine for now. I'll try again in a few hours.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

^^^^ 🌦🌂🦀🌂

Polsy posted:

Yeah, that doesn't look bad, depending on how perfect/powerful the rival is. Seems like they had some decent leeway in the tutorial but it probably varies in practice.

It varies pretty heavily by song, I think. I mean, it also feels like you're given a bit more latitude on Easy versus Normal, but the difficulty really just changes the level of the rival unit. To be honest, I can't tell if it gives you more leeway on easy because my cards (and the resultant combos) are way above their level. Even just randomly picking the highest attack cards in a given type I ended up with enough combos that the bonus for the combos was greater than the rival's HP… So even with me being awful, I can usually survive long enough to activate a skill (which seems to always just be autoplay) and then that does enough damage to wipe the other side out.

Hard mode definitely murders me something fierce. It doesn't help that it seems to buffer inputs, so if you drop the beat you're hosed on notes that haven't even appeared yet. But really, everything except the blue squares seems to be "wait a beat, then go." The blue ones seem to be half of that, but they're always in the middle so once you miss the beat on one of those you've hosed up the rest of that phrase.

It is a drat sight more interesting than the regular mobage battle type. Although they've improved that, in that it now shows you the individual numbers as each member of the subunits does damage to the HP pool.

Christmas Cake
Dec 25, 2008

Hate-Senpai posted:

I thought it was a type at first when the subs said "U's"

U's

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello
I started listening to songs performed by the VA for OG Love Live's Kotori. Wow, are they good. It's too bad the Birb never got songs like these.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7pQDZsSGWY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wj1FNlihu6c

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

wait you hadn't seen it yet? strange

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Yo does Nico Nico's VA sing outside of LL too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Soramaru does have vocal credits outside of Love Live, yes. She's done some other themes, like for... Future Card Buddyfight, I want to say? And the ED for Gochiusa S2 as part of a trio.
IIRC she's also one of the core four of the Milky Holmes series, and Mimorin/Suzuko Mimori, aka Umi's VA, is part of the group as well.