Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

TheParadigm posted:

This sounds a lot like you're running single heat sinks on things for the cost. I was going through many of my mediums a while back with a 'minimum sunk cost' philosophy when it came to basics, and it didn't make a lot of money at all until someone pointed out to me that yeah, doublesinks are expensive - but they let you do more damage, so they help pay for themselves because thats the major factor for money earned.

the kind of commonly accepted metric for 'am i pulling my weight' in a match is about 300 damage done.

150k with premium seems low.

Like, this here? This is a Great, one-time-ever kind of game for me.

Side note: brawl kodiak is REAL.

If you're liking the centurion, you may wish to learn scouting mode because it can print cbills if you get good/quick matches and have a good goon four man team.
The major problem there is figuring out how to crush streakcrows, novas and arctic cheetas every time.(brawling and flamers)

Hit me up if you see me on for atlas time, though. Its my favorite mech easy. if you know what you're doing, it prints money so godamn fast. Even in a match where I die almost right off the bat leading the push, i'm still putting out 350-400 damage.

But yeah. You should be making more per match. that feels low.

Everything I play is double heat sink...I copied all the builds linked in thread. Used the Hunchback exclusively yesterday and just tried to focus on not dying and actually dealing damage. It went well. I had a string of games where I dealt 300+ per game wins were worth ~300k. Had another one of those rounds where everything lined up perfectly and dealt 550 damage with 3 kills and 6 assists or something. That was sweet. The critical mass of junk makes sense. I haven't sold anything. I would say the most expensive part of outfitting is the engines. Should be able to knock out enough for a Stormcrow and then roll around with that thing for a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Cease to Hope posted:

I miss Mechromancer.
Agreed. It was a very nice UI to use.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Cease to Hope posted:

I miss Mechromancer.

Smurfy's is drat close, and on top of the ball when it comes to updates.

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/

It even has all the quirks listed.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

veedubfreak posted:

Smurfy's is drat close, and on top of the ball when it comes to updates.

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/

It even has all the quirks listed.

Thanks for the helpful info.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Yolomon Wayne posted:

I cant express how much fun (and cheap) Warhammers are.

Ive settled for a BeamHammer and a BoomHammer. Can be modified to a Warhamtlas.

I prefer the wubhammer:
http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=383&l=cac812dd25d27f54d22a532ad4db302ad4198047

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

I did very well last weekend in this 6D: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=383&l=a400df7a99133e51e38d2b457193cb24ecb914a6

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

How bad is the ghost heat penalty for MPLs?

Or, more to the point, what should I do with energy hardpoint #7 on a TDR-5SS?

- just run MPL #7 and suck up the ghost heat
- drop a heatsink and some engine rating to run a LPL (this is the metamechs recommendation, don't like it much personally, I want that speed)
- add one non-MPL weapon (or even worse: two) so I can still alpha brawl even though it'll be slightly off-sync
- comedy option: flamer

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

NihilCredo posted:

- drop a heatsink and some engine rating to run a LPL (this is the metamechs recommendation, don't like it much personally, I want that speed)
- add one non-MPL weapon (or even worse: two) so I can still alpha brawl even though it'll be slightly off-sync

You realize that you don't have to use every hardpoint on a chassis, right?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Skoll posted:

I'm sorry, I think those are words but I don't quite understand what they mean.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

NihilCredo posted:

7 MPLs and fire them in groups of 4-3.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Skoll posted:

lol, "let me half-rear end this (now even more) giant robot".

Speaking of which you could fit more mg's in those ballistic slots on the warham fyi.,

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Books are the real treasures of the world!
Fun Shoe

TheParadigm posted:

Question about tiers: can you actually fall back one, or once you hit one are you stuck there forever?

Only if you really, really try for it.

We occasionally discuss certain builds that are likely to drop your rating in the Mumble chat. Here are a couple of them:

HBK-4J
PPC LRM10 Hunchback. It has a certain special role on the battlefield, and I'm reasonably certain you will never run out of ammo.

ACH-PRIME
NARC equipped Arctic Cheetah. You can be very helpful with this robot, but you will barely be rewarded for your contributions.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

TjyvTompa posted:

7 MPLs and fire them in groups of 4-3.
I run a 7 MPL Wubcat (Timberwolf) and this is what I do. 3 in the torsos are on one button, 4 in the arms are on the other.

Or to be sardonic, 'you know you don't have to always alpha strike.'

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

The flamer isn't as comedy option as it would have been at one point. It gives out far more heat than it generates now, and MPL engagement ranges are such that you might actually get some use out of it. Still probably not optimal, but it wouldn't be a waste of tonnage and hardpoints like it once was either.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

aniviron posted:

The flamer...

head-mounted, bind to 'push-to-talk'. it CAN still be that comedy option, don't give up on your dreams!

e: :words:

armchairyoda fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jun 30, 2016

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Ooooh I'm really torn between the laser Timber Wolf and the laser Stormcrow. Not sure which one I should get first.

I already have a Centurion in the stable. Maybe it would be nice to own a Heavy mech first?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Sure why not.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Artificer posted:

Ooooh I'm really torn between the laser Timber Wolf and the laser Stormcrow. Not sure which one I should get first.

I already have a Centurion in the stable. Maybe it would be nice to own a Heavy mech first?

Timbers are loving amazing and how should i say, more forgiving than stormcrows.
Mainly because theyre 20 tons heavier and has jumpjets.

Also you can go hogge wilde with build variety, im not loving kidding.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Timbers are loving amazing and how should i say, more forgiving than stormcrows.
Mainly because theyre 20 tons heavier and has jumpjets.

Also you can go hogge wilde with build variety, im not loving kidding.

Yeah I definitely feel the more forgiving bit. I dunno. Even when playing conservatively I have a hard time surviving in my Stormcrow, and usually I'm able to flank ok in my Timber, when the Stormcrow can't really take much return fire.

I'm bad at the game. Trying to get behind people who are shooting team mates just lets their friend shoot my back, often.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I get focused down really fast in my Timberwolf, but it's painted like a 90s rave flyer so I may be the author of my own misfortunes of an extent.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

sebmojo posted:

I get focused down really fast in my Timberwolf, but it's painted like a 90s rave flyer so I may be the author of my own misfortunes of an extent.

It's probably just because Timbers are a super high priority target because they're fast and pack a wallop.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

90% of the time I die much faster in the Stormcrow even when I'm being more cautious. :(

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Timbers are the best thing for teaching you how to play assaults. When you can hide behind something big to get you to the front line and then burst out on one flank where you can't be focused down, they're amazing.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Posting to say that I've finally popped my 1000-damage cherry in a trial Battlemaster of all thing :)

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
http://mwomercs.com/tournaments?t=201606faction

New CW tournament is up, WoL has Liao contract for five more days.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Right now this is what I'm using in my Timber. Yes, I know I left out 2 lazors but it can actually manage the heat AND fire all the lazors at the same time.

TBR-PRIME

ACtually the event shouldn't be too difficult to do. You only need 50 points to qualify in scouting, that's literally doing 100 damage. And only 80 points for invasion games. Get a free nova and mad dog :)

So, now that the lolcust is useful, you can do poo poo like this in your drop deck.

Misery (stalker)
Bounty Hunter (marauder)
Black Widow (warhammer)
Pirate's Bane (locust)

And hit 250 exactly. This might be entertaining. Remember, bring all the erlls you can.

veedubfreak fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jun 30, 2016

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the scouting requirements got halved from the last event. That means I'll actually do it this time and get a free Nova.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

veedubfreak posted:

Right now this is what I'm using in my Timber. Yes, I know I left out 2 lazors but it can actually manage the heat AND fire all the lazors at the same time.

TBR-PRIME

ACtually the event shouldn't be too difficult to do. You only need 50 points to qualify in scouting, that's literally doing 100 damage. And only 80 points for invasion games. Get a free nova and mad dog :)

So, now that the lolcust is useful, you can do poo poo like this in your drop deck.

Misery (stalker)
Bounty Hunter (marauder)
Black Widow (warhammer)
Pirate's Bane (locust)

And hit 250 exactly. This might be entertaining. Remember, bring all the erlls you can.

Isn't that like $100 of robots?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Is Higby dead or something? No contracts. :(

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Artificer posted:

Is Higby dead or something? No contracts. :(

WoL isn't. Three of us are in mumble doing Scout drops.

Dueling Bandsaws
Mar 3, 2016
I may be going clan by virtue of actually having clan mechs good at scouting: is the clan drop deck for invasion still 240 because reasons?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Skoll posted:

WoL isn't. Three of us are in mumble doing Scout drops.

Well shoot. How does grouping up work? Can I still drop with you guys?

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
If you lose 20 times with a score of 80 you get 2 warhorns.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

sebmojo posted:

Isn't that like $100 of robots?

Nah, the pirates bane was 13 bucks and came with 2 extra mechs i got to sell and a month of premium. The bounty hunter was a 15 dollar addon, the widow maker was half off on an mc sale as was the misery.

I've still spent less on this game than I have on booze over the last 4 years, but at least after the hangover I still have a robitt.

Yolomon Wayne posted:

If you lose 20 times with a score of 80 you get 2 warhorns.

That was last time, this time its WIN 20 games with 50 points to get 1 warhorn.

Scouting Matches Played, each with a Match Score of at least 50 0 of 2 1 Day Active Premium Time
Scouting Matches Played, each with a Match Score of at least 50 0 of 15 Broken Inner Sphere Hanging Item
Scouting Victories, each with a Match Score of at least 50 0 of 20 Cameron Star Warhorn and Clan Dagger Warhorn
Intel Gathered 0 of 50 x8 C-Bill Consumable Pack
Kill Most Damage Dealt 0 of 15 Blood Pact Fist Standing Item
Kill Assists 0 of 30 Enhanced NARC Module*
DMG 0 of 5,000 50,000 C-Bills
Match Score 0 of 4,000 1,500 GXP
C-Bills 0 of 3,000,000 1,000,000 C-Bills
XP 0 of 10,000 3,000 GXP

veedubfreak fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jun 30, 2016

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

veedubfreak posted:

Nah, the pirates bane was 13 bucks and came with 2 extra mechs i got to sell and a month of premium. The bounty hunter was a 15 dollar addon, the widow maker was half off on an mc sale as was the misery.

I've still spent less on this game than I have on booze over the last 4 years, but at least after the hangover I still have a robitt.

That was last time, this time its WIN 20 games with 50 points to get 1 warhorn.

Scouting Matches Played, each with a Match Score of at least 50 0 of 2 1 Day Active Premium Time
Scouting Matches Played, each with a Match Score of at least 50 0 of 15 Broken Inner Sphere Hanging Item
Scouting Victories, each with a Match Score of at least 50 0 of 20 Cameron Star Warhorn and Clan Dagger Warhorn
Intel Gathered 0 of 50 x8 C-Bill Consumable Pack
Kill Most Damage Dealt 0 of 15 Blood Pact Fist Standing Item
Kill Assists 0 of 30 Enhanced NARC Module*
DMG 0 of 5,000 50,000 C-Bills
Match Score 0 of 4,000 1,500 GXP
C-Bills 0 of 3,000,000 1,000,000 C-Bills
XP 0 of 10,000 3,000 GXP

For scouting, yes.
For invasion, just get assfucked 20 times by premades with long toms and you get 2 horns.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

The secret to long toms is to charge the enemy and brawl them, making the long tom annihilate both teams. :black101:

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Yolomon Wayne posted:

For scouting, yes.
For invasion, just get assfucked 20 times by premades with long toms and you get 2 horns.

Oh cool, didnt catch that. Not sure I can punch myself in the balls 20 times though. Maybe just do pubbie drivebys for damage.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Alright I'm going to pick up a Timber Wolf. Which chassis would be a good buy for my first Timber Wolf? I've liked the laser only trial Timber but I haven't really hosed around with much else. The AC-20/SRM combo of my Atlas has proved fun as well.

I suck at using Gauss Rifles and PPCs are still kind of meh, aren't they?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
S for the Brawlwolf/Splatcat, A/C/D for most builds, Prime for another style of most builds.

PPC's are meh but they can work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I assume GIRL is planning to stay Green Bird for the duration of the event?

• Locked thread