Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
I believe the GI bill caps out for pilot license, even if they're associated with another degree but I think you can use a GI bill for a degree and use yellow ribbon benefits to pay for the rest if the university supports it--I believe Embry Riddle does. I'd recommed talking to a financial advisor if someone was interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Everett has its pros and cons. Cost of living sucks, there isn't a lot to do locally (and I mean in town), and its in the convergence zone so that during the winter it rains eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeevery drat day. From the parking lot to the pier is like a mile.

However! Pros!
(1) Its not really a Navy town. Everyone assumes you work for Boeing, not the Navy. I met a bunch of people that didn't even know there was a base!
(2) Easy access to Seattle, the mountains, and Canada.
(3) Miss you Memo's

Whidbey Island NAS is a fantastic place. Actually the base sucks rear end and is full of knuckledragging morons but the island is great.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

What's China Lake like, as a civilian working for the Navy?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Goodpancakes posted:

2 hours from everything in the middle of the desert iirc. Don't think civ vs mil makes much difference there it still sucks.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Goodpancakes posted:

Ever-present crushing heat in the middle of nowhere with the occasional cool rocket test. Be prepared for having the carry canteens with you at all times if you go outside, BUildings built in the 60s and not renovated since then, LOTS OF SNAKES, and everyone outside of the base pissed with everyone working at the base.

And that was after the Navy working as an NMCI contractor.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Goodpancakes posted:

Rent someplace in Lone Pine and commute.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Places available in the Sierra foothills that would be commutable?

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Whidbey Island NAS is a fantastic place. Actually the base sucks rear end and is full of knuckledragging morons but the island is great.

Whidbey...not in the convergence zone! Much different winter experience I'm sure.

Also, how are you fitting 12 frigates in Everett? Did they get rid of everything else and add a dock?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

The immediate area outside of Bremerton kind of gave me a "greener Jacksonville" vibe when I visited last year.

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009
I got told today by a merchant mariner that I was wrong about my damage control experience and that an O-6 who arrived hours later was the correct person because he came and spoke to the merchant mariners at some point.

That was cool.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
:stare:

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

US Berder Patrol fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Feb 18, 2022

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

The Valley Stared posted:

I got told today by a merchant mariner that I was wrong about my damage control experience and that an O-6 who arrived hours later was the correct person because he came and spoke to the merchant mariners at some point.

That was cool.

Who are you going to believe TVS, a Captain or your lying eyes?

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009

Nick Soapdish posted:

Who are you going to believe TVS, a Captain or your lying eyes?

I mean, clearly, the Captain has no reason to lie, or at the least, make himself seem like the most competent person on the ship when he arrived 10 hours after we'd settled things out. I'm just so glad to know that I did things that I (not to my recollection, but you know, hysterical woman and all that) did not actually do, and that my ship was listing approximately 6 degrees MORE than I remember it doing.

For the last point, I'm willing to say that my indicator may have given me very different information than what was on the bridge. Bridge had been hit, after all, and the forward part of the ship was sitting lower in the water, so this may have altered the readings on the inclinometer on the bridge where the O-6 went to after talking with me.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

That was cool.

That's always fun. I've had a SWO explain to me that I was wrong about how a certain mode of the E-2D radar works, because he had "gotten a lecture about it at Dahlgren".

To his credit he later realized he was confusing it with something else, but I got a chuckle out of one of the intel guys watching the discussion who said "uh, you're really gonna argue with the Hawkeye WTI on this one?"

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

That was cool.

Just gonna mansplain damage control to one of the few active duty officers with actual hardcore DC experience.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

That was cool.

hope you told him to eat a bowl of dicks

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

ded posted:

hope you told him to eat a bowl of dicks

Hope you punched him in the dick too.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Remind me to tell you guys about the Sonar Wash and one of the pranks ive ever seen pulled on an officer. Not even a JO, an O-4 who should have known better.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Remind me to tell you guys about the Sonar Wash and one of the pranks ive ever seen pulled on an officer. Not even a JO, an O-4 who should have known better.

:justpost: motherfucker.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Whidbey...not in the convergence zone! Much different winter experience I'm sure.

Also, how are you fitting 12 frigates in Everett? Did they get rid of everything else and add a dock?

We can fit like four times the ships we have at all of our bases. They barely moor outboard these days and if it gets real congested, they can Med Moor.

TVS: :psyduck:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Everett was the homeport of the Lincoln up until 2011 so there's more room than you'd think there.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I’m home. One year and four days later from over seas and it’s gonna be close to 20 months on active orders by the time I’m off terminal.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

That was cool.

For the record merchant marine damage control consists of firefighting and abandoning ship if the pumps can’t keep up. gently caress it, boat’s insured.

Dickhead was talking out of his rear end.

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009

FrozenVent posted:

For the record merchant marine damage control consists of firefighting and abandoning ship if the pumps can’t keep up. gently caress it, boat’s insured.

Dickhead was talking out of his rear end.

This particular one is former navy too (6 years probably in the 80s), but I was just so taken aback by his comment of, "You did counter-flood and you had cross flooding. That's what Commodore Duffy told us when he came and spoke with us."

When I told him that no, we didn't counter flood, he told me I was wrong and Captain Duffy was right. At least several of the other students were confused by his statements too.

And no, I didn't kick his dick or anything. I wasn't going to continue what could have been perceived as an argument during a lecture, but this has given me a bit of insight into how our Bridge Resource Management week is going to go since they do use it as a case study. Even better for me, I get to go through BRM the week of the anniversary. Probably going to have to deal with lots of comments about the OOD, the CONN, the JOOD, and now apparently, the DC efforts.

I'm fine with using it as a case study. It's genuinely good for that. Here's what went wrong, here's the actions the bridge team took, and so on. It's the comments of, "and now the OOD has to live with what she did every day of her life" and "the JOOD and the OOD hated each other and weren't speaking" that bother me.

Crab Dad, glad to hear that you're home! Take time reintegrating with the family.

Deadmeat, :justpost:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

It's the comments of, "and now the OOD has to live with what she did every day of her life" and "the JOOD and the OOD hated each other and weren't speaking" that bother me.

After any amount of time in and around Japan I'd be surprised if everybody didn't platonically hate everybody else.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

This particular one is former navy too (6 years probably in the 80s), but I was just so taken aback by his comment of, "You did counter-flood and you had cross flooding. That's what Commodore Duffy told us when he came and spoke with us."

When I told him that no, we didn't counter flood, he told me I was wrong and Captain Duffy was right. At least several of the other students were confused by his statements too.

And no, I didn't kick his dick or anything. I wasn't going to continue what could have been perceived as an argument during a lecture, but this has given me a bit of insight into how our Bridge Resource Management week is going to go since they do use it as a case study. Even better for me, I get to go through BRM the week of the anniversary. Probably going to have to deal with lots of comments about the OOD, the CONN, the JOOD, and now apparently, the DC efforts.

I'm fine with using it as a case study. It's genuinely good for that. Here's what went wrong, here's the actions the bridge team took, and so on. It's the comments of, "and now the OOD has to live with what she did every day of her life" and "the JOOD and the OOD hated each other and weren't speaking" that bother me.

Crab Dad, glad to hear that you're home! Take time reintegrating with the family.

Deadmeat, :justpost:

I think the officer corps are not as academic as they like to pretend they are and are quite comfortable distorting truths to try and make points. Because impact of an event gets emphasized over accurate telling and people retell them over and over, they get real distorted in the instructors minds.

I remember hearing about the Guardian in ADOC and the instructor just lambasted the bridge team, because it was easier than actually examining the events. That instructor almost assuredly had to tell the story 20+ times and equally as likely, did not have an image in his head of the watch structure of an MCM. He didn't mention the incorrect charts in his case study, etc. His goal was noble: hey JGs, you need to be checking your chart, you need to be uncomfortable and ask questions when your night orders don't include lights, but every sign pointed to the instructor having not deployed to WESTPAC or having been given more background knowledge than the slides provided, which were tailored to lessons learned applicable to the audience.

I don't really know what to do about it other than to try and anonymize it and include it on the course critique (or don't and risk more headache). The real solution would be additional academic rigor over instructional material which is probably a big culture shift and/or timesink and is hard to fit into military style requirements model.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Everett was the homeport of the Lincoln up until 2011 so there's more room than you'd think there.

Well, yes, I'm aware of that, I was stationed on it. At the time it was 1 Carrier (Lincoln), 2 DDGs (Shoup and Momsen), and 2 Frigates (Rodney M. Davis and Ingraham).

My main failure is that I forgot mooring ships side to side was a thing. 12 just seemed like a big number of boats for the two piers they have.

(e: 3 if you count the CG ship that was moored next to the NEX)

Crab Dad posted:

I’m home. One year and four days later from over seas and it’s gonna be close to 20 months on active orders by the time I’m off terminal.

Also, grats Crab Dad. Your journey will continue to be an inspiration that I will catalog and show my (still-in) younger self if given the opportunity to travel back in time with the caption "See, this is what happens where the answer isn't 'Imagine the stupidest thing possible, and then go further'". Glad you are back home.

SquirrelyPSU fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jun 5, 2021

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

piL posted:

I think the officer corps are not as academic as they like to pretend they are and are quite comfortable distorting truths to try and make points. Because impact of an event gets emphasized over accurate telling and people retell them over and over, they get real distorted in the instructors minds.

I remember hearing about the Guardian in ADOC and the instructor just lambasted the bridge team, because it was easier than actually examining the events. That instructor almost assuredly had to tell the story 20+ times and equally as likely, did not have an image in his head of the watch structure of an MCM. He didn't mention the incorrect charts in his case study, etc. His goal was noble: hey JGs, you need to be checking your chart, you need to be uncomfortable and ask questions when your night orders don't include lights, but every sign pointed to the instructor having not deployed to WESTPAC or having been given more background knowledge than the slides provided, which were tailored to lessons learned applicable to the audience.

I don't really know what to do about it other than to try and anonymize it and include it on the course critique (or don't and risk more headache). The real solution would be additional academic rigor over instructional material which is probably a big culture shift and/or timesink and is hard to fit into military style requirements model.

The Guardian was my first ship! :v:

I was about 2 - 3 years removed from their grounding, though. My XO at the time had just turned the ship over after fleeting up right before that poo poo went down.

Also, welcome back, Crab Dad!

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

piL posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if it's similar to how instructor billets work in the AF...basically you have all your usual additional duties, and there's little or no formal continuation training to keep you up to speed on anything. If you're in a "high speed" unit you might do a tactics talk a couple of times a year where a weapons officer (think WTI) gives you a briefing on a few things, but that's not universal and the quality certainly varies. There are a few pockets where this isn't the case, but out in the line units...yeesh.

So that dude probably didn't develop those slides, get trained on the material in those slides, or get any further data beyond "here's the slides for training event X."

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
So the sonar consoles on Spru-cans were these bulkhead to bulkhead monstrosities with all these bits and bobs and dials and and poo poo that nobody ever messed it. It was an over engineered pile of poo poo. As a joke sometime in the past, a faucet had been installed in the middle. It didn't do anything, it just sat there.

So I was hanging out down in sonar playing spades when their new LT decides to come visit. This was the dude's second ship, he absolutely should have known what to expect. STGC gets up from the game and they talk for a few before the LT asks about the console. Chief starts showing him all the bits and just points at the faucet and says, "That's the faucet," then moves on.

Of course LT stops him and is like, "WTF is the faucet for?"

Without missing a beat, chief said, "That's for the sonar wash."

LT, not wanting to seems like he knows nothing I guess, just nodded and said "Oh, right" like it was the most obvious thing in the world.

I don't think he could help himself, though. After a few more minutes he had to ask about the faucet again.

Chief looked at him like he was an idiot and said, "Like I said, sir. That's for the sonar wash. So we can test the wash and make sure its functioning right. Otherwise we could be off the freq that we want and we'd never know otherwise."

LT is just nodding and looking interested. "How does it work?"

"Well you take a penny with some tongs and you put it under the wash. If it turns green then the wash is correct, because the copper will have oxydized. If it looks the same, then something might be wrong and we have to take it to the chief engineer."

More nodding and looking interested. He was really absorbing the info and not questioning anything. Which normally is a good trait in an officer speaking to a Chief, except when it's such obvious bullshit.

Fast forward a few months and we're busy making circles off the coast of San Diego for no reason other than circles are pretty. Captain decides to test the sonar.

Once again Im down there playing spades. Despite being an OS, most of my friends were FCs, STs, and ETs. LT is doing paperwork or something in the little annex thing when he gets word the captain wants to test sonar. All the STs hop up and start doing their things.

Chief calls out, "Test the wash!"

STG2 Grimes, a good buddy of mine and one of the funniest mofos I've evet met, grabs a penny from his pocket and runs up to grab tongs from their maintenance locker. Chief very slyly looks at the LT and says, "You want to do the wash test?"

The LT looks almost giddy and agrees.

So the LT is all decked out with these huge rubber gloves, goggles, apron, and tongs firmly clamped around a penny. He looked nervous as gently caress.

"Testing the wash!" Chief called out again.

Everyone gets up off the console and steps back while the LT holds the penny under the faucet. Nobody else is wearing PPE, you'd think by now he'd know what was up.

Chief turns the faucet on, counts to ten out loud, then turns it off. LT checks the penny.

"Still looks like a penny, Chief."

"gently caress, of course it does. Alright we need to take it to CHENG and have him look at it."

Again, no questioning.

Now the CHENG on the Spruance at the time was a huge rear end in a top hat. The goatse of CHENGs. But he could be a funny fucker too. So chief frog marches this LT from sonar to engineering, all the way on the other side of the ship and down the main P-way. LT has not taken off any of the PPE.

CHENG realizes what is going on right away and plays along. "You're gonna have to take it the captain and let him look at it."

So LT goes all the way to the bridge. In all his PPE. With a fuckin penny clamped in tongs being held away from him like its radioactive.

The captain was not amused and spoiled the joke, although Im not sure where it would have gone from there.

I do know that from then on the LTs place in the wardroom was marked with a penny.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Godholio posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if it's similar to how instructor billets work in the AF...basically you have all your usual additional duties, and there's little or no formal continuation training to keep you up to speed on anything. If you're in a "high speed" unit you might do a tactics talk a couple of times a year where a weapons officer (think WTI) gives you a briefing on a few things, but that's not universal and the quality certainly varies. There are a few pockets where this isn't the case, but out in the line units...yeesh.

So that dude probably didn't develop those slides, get trained on the material in those slides, or get any further data beyond "here's the slides for training event X."

Oh yeah, that's been my experience. To be ahead of this kind of stuff, I try to put a few hours weekly into reading relevant CRS, GAO, Navy and Army war college pubs, at least skimming released case reports etc, but I've gotten some stern looks doing this while I owed something. The problem is you always owe something, and if you wait for the Navy to make you get into the literature, it happense once a year or so when the CO is feeling squirrelly and emails an article to the wardroom distro, or it looks you do it for a couple of years after you make O-4. It's like working out--if you don't make a priority out of it there's always something else to be done.

edit:

Deadmeat5150 posted:

The captain was not amused and spoiled the joke, although Im not sure where it would have gone from there.

Obviously a CASREP for Sonar Scrubbers.

piL fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jun 5, 2021

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Deadmeat5150 posted:

A Good Story.

My friend was CHENG and had a pretty Lazzez Faire attitude towards normal sailor shenanegans. Mid-deployment, the EMs get a brand new striker fresh out of boot camp. Landed by helicopter! It was a miraculous time for this E2. The EM1 convinced this SA that any time the 1MC called out the smoking lamp was lit or extinguished, it was an actual switch on the main AC distribution switchboard that had to be flipped. There was an unused breaker in one of the bottom slots; maybe 30A or something, single-pole.

So at one point, my friend is down looking at the switchboard because of some SSDG casualty when the 1MC calls out the smoking lamp is extinguished. Cue a frantic 18-year-old in PT gear Kramering in two minutes later and diving past the cadre of chiefs and officers to throw a breaker on the main switchboard, then looking up, terrified at the array of brass in front of him. There's some muttering and it eventually moves over to EMC who just looks at CHENG. He just puts 1 and 1 together, looks over at EM1 and says "Smoking lamp?" A reluctant nod from EM1, and says to the poor kid on the deck: "Good job. You do need more PPE than that, though. EMC, make sure EM1 gets this sailor the appropriate training on PPE and proper procedures for verification of breaker state."

EM1 and EMC made sure to keep him in the loop on pranks after that. With CHENG's full approval, you can get some REALLY high-quality prank-based training done.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

That’s how you mess with people. What a wholesome story.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Get that booze monkey off my back!
Like our new pilots going on the flight line meeting all the plane captains and qa people while searching for a "pad eye wrench" that was always lost from the tool room.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Goons, a lot of QD watchstanders on my ship are having their gun quals expire because we've had to prioritize sustainment shoots for BRF bodies and well long story short I'm standing OOD while armed up with a 9 and its ~2:30 on Monday morning...

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Goons, a lot of QD watchstanders on my ship are having their gun quals expire because we've had to prioritize sustainment shoots for BRF bodies and well long story short I'm standing OOD while armed up with a 9 and its ~2:30 on Monday morning...

Don't forget to sign for maintenance.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Don’t trust your instincts. Go jerk off instead.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Do you remember how many pieces are in that 9? You sure?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Laranzu posted:

Do you remember how many pieces are in that 9? You sure?

He needs to make sure that the firing pin doesn’t have any carbon build up.