Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I just recently got this game (steam summer sale) and have been really enjoying it so far.

I'm trying to federate up the galaxy with my prosperity gospel slugs, but while everyone wants to have association status I've only got one actual member and we're both staring down the barrel of some space-bible bashing freaks, who just gobbled up the next best candidate for a member, so I want more loving members pronto.

Anyway I have some questions. About sectors. I put some planets in a sector and the governor does absolutely gently caress all about all the tile-blockers, even though I have the technology (to dredge up the seaweed with a net and a poolboy).

1. What gives?
2. What is actually needed for a sector to get on with the job of doing things... does the sector need a governor, as well as individual planets?
3. Is it even possible to see what a planet is doing / is planning to do / has done in a sector?

1) Sectors generally wont clear blockers until they need to in order for more growth to occur, so if your planet isn't full yet they likely won't bother. What's more, unless you take the mastery of nature ascension perk, clearing blockers costs minerals and energy, and depending on how heavily you're taxing the sector they may not be generating those resources fast enough.
2) Governors help in a few different ways, but what they mainly need are resources and a reason to to actually build poo poo, meaning pop growth needs to happen. Sectors pull a percent of resources from every planetary or space based mine they have control of, so make sure you give them some systems with energy and mineral mines. The larger and richer a Sector is, the faster stuff will happen, though pop growth is still a limiter.
3) Sort of. When you create a sector and it appears in your planets list, there's a button you can click that will allow you to set directives for sectors, IE what resource to focus, whether they're allowed to redevelop tiles, whether they respect resources, etc. While you can't see individual planetary build queues in a sector, you can pretty easily figure out what they're doing based on the settings in there. If you want the best general setup, just go for a balanced focus, tell them to respect resources, and don't allow redevelopment. Usually the safest bet.

Psycho Landlord fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Jul 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Thanks, that's useful. My planet's full of slugs but I think they're migrating to some new worlds I nabbed, so maybe that's why the blockers aren't clearing - but I'll need to check their resources too.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Psycho Landlord posted:

3) Sort of. When you create a sector and it appears in your planets list, there's a button you can click that will allow you to set directives for sectors, IE what resource to focus, whether they're allowed to redevelop tiles, whether they respect resources, etc. While you can't see individual planetary build queues in a sector, you can pretty easily figure out what they're doing based on the settings in there. If you want the best general setup, just go for a balanced focus, tell them to respect resources, and don't allow redevelopment. Usually the safest bet.
Just so it's not lost on the last page:

misguided rage posted:

When you're in the planet/sector menu there's a little thought cloud thing next to the sector settings you can mouse over to see what the sector is building/trying to build next.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

I'm playing as devouring swarm and just conquered a bunch of planets but these are planets I want to populate is there a way to colonize them before the inhabitants all get eaten and I lose control?

Axetrain fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jul 16, 2017

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

I've not played as a devouring swarm but can't you just resettle some of your own people onto the planets?

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Weavered posted:

I've not played as a devouring swarm but can't you just resettle some of your own people onto the planets?

You sure can! I'm dumb and forgot how to do it.

MilkmanLuke
Jul 4, 2012

I'm da prettiest, so I'm da boss.

Baus is boss.

Axetrain posted:

You sure can! I'm dumb and forgot how to do it.

Make sure to build defensive armies immediately! Sometimes your food will rebel.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Once you turn yourself into robots the green tech group becomes almost useless. Oh boy, more habitability, leader age, and gene trait points I can't use.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Fintilgin posted:

Once you turn yourself into robots the green tech group becomes almost useless. Oh boy, more habitability, leader age, and gene trait points I can't use.
You can use the gene points on others, like the livestock you keep as batteries with the "some kind of fusion" tech.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Fintilgin posted:

Then you can just spend all your society points on increasing military bonuses! :black101:

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe
Is there a way to show the economic factors when joining a federation? If I'm asked to join a federation I'd love to be able to see what effects it will have on fleet cap or energy output.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Any mods that balance combat out so strikecraft and missiles aren't useless?

Also, I think the modder is here so: the "gently caress ground combat, just bombard planets until they capitulate" mod is awesome but unfortunately I think it breaks the AI's aggressiveness since they can't make armies, which factors into their "can I declare war" routine or whatever. Tested with and without the Enhanced AI mod, observe mode, 100 years. The games without the "bombard to capture" actually resulted in the AI doing poo poo, the games with ended up in virtual stasis.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Devouring Swarm VO should be the lady who voiced the Tyranid Hive Mind in DoW2. :getin:

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Wiz please fix your game's keming.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

turn off the TV posted:

Wiz please fix your game's keming.

Maybe I have old man eyes now, but on the wardec screen when trying to filter planets the letters "a" and "o" end up like a eye test.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
After playing Distant Worlds, that doesn't look bad at all.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah Distant Worlds is the only game I've ever seen that uses all the windows default ui elements.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah Distant Worlds is the only game I've ever seen that uses all the windows default ui elements.

Distant Worlds doesn't have poo poo on Aurora, which from a casual glance could be confused with an electronic medical record interface.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

turn off the TV posted:

Distant Worlds doesn't have poo poo on Aurora, which from a casual glance could be confused with an electronic medical record interface.

Aurora is a whole other category. Distant Worlds is comparable to pre-CK2 Paradox games in terms of jankiness. Not super user-friendly, but you can figure it out for yourself if you bash your head against it for a while. Aurora is more like the space 4X version of Dwarf Fortress.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

turn off the TV posted:

Does that 13 year old game seriously have the default visual studio forms icon?

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jul 17, 2017

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Aurora is magical in so many ways.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I like that you can advance time in steps ranging from 5 seconds to 30 days

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

That looks WAY better and more understandable than when I played Aurora.

shas
Jul 27, 2011

Aurora owns, it's a fantastic game

edit: the reason you can step time that way is because building things is done on a 5 day (generally) update timetable, but combat can come down to those 5 second intervals for launching anti-missile missiles or otherwise avoiding death. It's not unusual to take days or weeks for a fleet to get to the location of a battle and then the battle itself lasts minutes at most (with most of that being waiting on missiles to travel to target).

more aurora

shas fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Jul 17, 2017

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Whenever I hear about combat in Aurora, it's always about missiles. Do direct-fire weapons not exist in Aurora?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Libluini posted:

Whenever I hear about combat in Aurora, it's always about missiles. Do direct-fire weapons not exist in Aurora?

Do you want to;

A: Use fighters and flashy mass drivers to gently caress poo poo up in a cool way.

B: Fire a missile halfway across the system and end the fight before the enemy even knows you're there.

Keep in mind that ships in Aurora are year long investments.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Lasers do exist, but they have very limited range compared to missiles because of the speed of light. If that doesn't make you want to play the game, nothing will.

You can in more recent versions of the game make a near-impenetrable laser porcupine of a ship and thus avoid missiles, but it's difficult to avoid the kind of mass barrage currently on display in Saros' current LP.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Demiurge4 posted:

Do you want to;

A: Use fighters and flashy mass drivers to gently caress poo poo up in a cool way.

B: Fire a missile halfway across the system and end the fight before the enemy even knows you're there.

Keep in mind that ships in Aurora are year long investments.

I'd prefer

C: Use a swarm of drones to protect against missiles and fire energy-weapons with obscene ranges to end a fight before the enemy even knows you're there.

If Aurora allows this, I'd probably go back and try again.

shas
Jul 27, 2011

They do, but they're very short ranged in comparison. They come in a variety of flavours that have different uses/specialties - I use meson weapons mounted in high tracking speed turrets as close-in point defence weapons (mesons ignore armour and only do a single point of internal damage, but against 99% of missiles that's enough). There are others - xrays do bonus damage to shields and electronic components, railguns shoot very fast (multiple shots per 5 second interval), plasma carronades do a ton of damage, but are short range (by beam standards) and can't be turreted.

The advantage of beam weapons is they don't require you to haul missiles around as your beautiful missile ships are only good until they run out of ammo and then they're worthless.

With regards the use of drones as ablative armour - you could probably do this with fighters, I guess, though I haven't

edit: it's also worth knowing that different weapons do different damage profiles to armour:

this guy from reddit i stole posted:

So, I made a damage template diagram for the wiki and thought I'd share it over here in case it proved useful. This is the guide for damage patterns caused by missiles/carronades and beam weapons (except carronades) on the left and right respectively. The damage an individual strike does to armor is mapped by all numbers equal to or lower than the damage of the hit. For example, a nine-damage strike would destroy armor cells 1 through 9.
https://www.reddit.com/r/aurora/comments/443ydn/damage_template_diagram/

(armour is put on ships in layers, and you only damage internal components once you have a consecutive breach through all layers - so having your weapons do square numbers in terms of damage is ideal as it reduces damage wasted through overkill)

shas fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Jul 17, 2017

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I had a breakthrough moment last night, well two. First was completing the Worm-that-Waits event chain and having my home star turned into a black hole. Second was losing a 10k and 20k fleet stack trying to take down a Stellar Devourer that then proceeded to park itself in my core systems not long after. In both cases, my response was an unironic :tif:.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Aurora is an amazing game that I would never in a million years actually attempt to play myself in its current incarnation. Saros is currently running a very good LP of it, though, so go check that out if you're interested.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3822055

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I wonder if there's someone out there crazy enough to give Aurora a reasonable UI skin and decent graphics as a mod.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
So I had the worm event that changed my species on my (former) homeworld, but nowhere else. I went for the psionic ascension path and it gave the latent psionic trait to only the handful of quest-modified species with -2 genetic points remaining. Is there any way to get it for the rest of my guys, am I just hosed?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

GunnerJ posted:

I wonder if there's someone out there crazy enough to give Aurora a reasonable UI skin and decent graphics as a mod.

Wouldn't make much difference, you're still going to spend 99% of the time staring at spreadsheets from the Lost Year of 199x.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Sanctum posted:

So I had the worm event that changed my species on my (former) homeworld, but nowhere else. I went for the psionic ascension path and it gave the latent psionic trait to only the handful of quest-modified species with -2 genetic points remaining. Is there any way to get it for the rest of my guys, am I just hosed?

Nah you're pretty much hosed. Sometimes other species will pick it up, but I don't think that event can fire for subspecies or whatever. When playing as Spiritualists last time I wound up with a branch species that got stuck at Psionic for the whole game, presumably from an on-going colonization when my main race made the jump to psychic.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Crazycryodude posted:

Aurora is an amazing game that I would never in a million years actually attempt to play myself in its current incarnation. Saros is currently running a very good LP of it, though, so go check that out if you're interested.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3822055

Wait, there's a new Aurora LP? I used to read Coldest War but I fell unsalvageably behind a couple of years ago, did it actually end or did BGrennan quit?

shas
Jul 27, 2011

Dallan Invictus posted:

Wait, there's a new Aurora LP? I used to read Coldest War but I fell unsalvageably behind a couple of years ago, did it actually end or did BGrennan quit?

I think it's technically still going but actually not going

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Coldest War is in stasis, not officially dead but no major progress in months/years either.

The new LP cuts out all the slogging legislative-type stuff that bogged down CW, and focuses more on combat/political maneuvering in a pre-established solar system (nobody's gone extrasolar - yet). It's great fun, come join in.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

My only issue with my current playthrough is that a neighbor that I can't get rid of has the same map color as I do. Makes things a bit confusing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Crazycryodude posted:

Coldest War is in stasis, not officially dead but no major progress in months/years either.

The new LP cuts out all the slogging legislative-type stuff that bogged down CW, and focuses more on combat/political maneuvering in a pre-established solar system (nobody's gone extrasolar - yet). It's great fun, come join in.

Frankly I am astonished CW lasted as long as it did without this happening (or the OP going permanently insane, which was my first guess as to why it had been replaced). Will definitely go look at the new one.

• Locked thread