Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Inspector Gesicht posted:

And Zapp Branigan.

Originally supposed to be a budget replacement for Hartman but man he ran with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

God, Hartman would've been so good as Zapp.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Billy West and John DiMaggio are both excellent voice actors that can do a lot better than working for modern Simpsons, to be honest.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Quote-Unquote posted:

God, Hartman would've been so good as Zapp.

Friendly reminder that Andy Dick is absolute detritus.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I saw a video of a rando hit Andy Dick in the head so hard he fell down, it was pretty great

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Jon Lovitz is not some rando

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Lmao

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Data Graham posted:

Originally supposed to be a budget replacement for Hartman but man he ran with it.

I know what you mean, but Billy West and "budget [anything]" don't even belong in the same sentence. He's one of the best voice actors of our time. That said, it would have been so awesome for Phil Hartman to do the voice of Zapp Brannigan -- so loving awesome. :smith:

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Friendly reminder that Andy Dick is absolute detritus.

Speaking of Phil Hartman, literally the only thing I've ever seen Andy Dick in is NewsRadio, and I thought he and everyone else on the show was hilarious. I was also 10 when Phil Hartman and 11 when the show died, so take that as you will.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
I remember my mom telling me when Phil Hartman was killed. Same kfc where she told me shari lewis died. :(

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

YeahTubaMike posted:

Speaking of Phil Hartman, literally the only thing I've ever seen Andy Dick in is NewsRadio, and I thought he and everyone else on the show was hilarious. I was also 10 when Phil Hartman and 11 when the show died, so take that as you will.

That's because NewsRadio is the only thing hes been in of any note. Getting a reputation for being an extremely unstable drug addict who was partially responsible for a co-star's death kind of makes people not want to work with you unless you're hyper hyper bankable.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Communist Walrus posted:

Don't worry about that poor goon, Walrus. It's just that...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWk6JcheLMU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Communist Walrus posted:

andy dick has been knocked the gently caress out by lots of people

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Plant MONSTER. posted:

I remember my mom telling me when Phil Hartman was killed. Same kfc where she told me shari lewis died. :(

Your mom was very conscientious when it came to breaking celebrity deaths.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Applewhite posted:

Your mom was very conscientious when it came to breaking celebrity deaths.

quote:

Me and my friend Paul were making fun of the spanish kids with velcro shoes in 7th grade shop class and next thing I know the loudspeaker goes off and has the guidance counselor on ittelling me to report to the office, I go in and my uncle Darrell who I havent seen since I was a toddler was standing there with this look of emptiness and poo poo. “Get in the car dude,” he said and I am thinking the worst has happened. Well I ask what was wrong and he just looked at me and said, “Layne OD’d,” and I asked him who the gently caress that was. He took out a cassette and popped it in the tape deck, cranked the volume up, and passed me a joint even though he knew I never smoked before. We took off and Alice in Chains – The Rooster played all the way thru, we were both stoned silent the whole time and my mind was completelyblown. “That singer is dead now man,” and from there on out I have just had this insane outlook on life.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

brugroffil posted:

Perhaps they should fire the show runner and the entire writing staff

:hmmyes:

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Communist Walrus posted:

I lol'd but in case someone else hasn't seen it before...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1RoF0K19CA
"Andy Dick punched outside French Quarter club"

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

PinheadSlim posted:

I lol'd but in case someone else hasn't seen it before...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1RoF0K19CA
"Andy Dick punched outside French Quarter club"

Looks like a random unprovoked attack from the video, but I'm sure he very much provoked it.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Andy Dick's very existence provoked it.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

That copy paste owns what is its source?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Plant MONSTER. posted:

The copy paste is great but there's still something amazing about the casual reveal that your mom had a dedicated KFC for breaking celebrity death news.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Smiling Mandrill posted:

What in tarnation are you talking about you yellow bellied lily livered pole cat!

Thats a good biden impression

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

YeahTubaMike posted:

Oh I got no problems thinking someone is funny and terrible at the same time. See also, Chevy chase, louis ck. Never a big cosby fan tbh but lots of people were so

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Man season 7 had a few turds. The George H.W. Bush and Homers mom come to mind. S7 is when cracks in the foundation began to appear though S8 seemed better honestly.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
The hardcore Simpsons nerds stop at 6 and hell, they're right

Marcus Elden
Apr 8, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

Man season 7 had a few turds. The George H.W. Bush and Homers mom come to mind. S7 is when cracks in the foundation began to appear though S8 seemed better honestly.

:wrong:

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

I've been slowly rewatching during the quarantine and I agree that s7 has a noticeable downturn in storyline quality. There's way more forced zany scenarios that don't make much sense under any scrutiny.

I think it maintains it's reputation as a good Simpsons season because the jokes are still funny and witty. In my head I could see bad Simpsons drawing a lot of inspiration from this season, just with lovely jokes.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I'm not the biggest fan of the Homer's mom episode but the Bush episode is absolutely great. Two bad neighbours, Bush amending his memoirs to say he only wanted one term, the punchline of Gerry Ford being a presidential Homer.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Season 7 is usually when good shows start to show faults. All the way from MASH, to The Simpsons, to The Office it seems to be a normal thing.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The new one was the season finale. It starts in Christmas for some reason, and he gets some traumatic flashback to before he lives with the Simpsons when she's trying to stick a Santa hat on him. When the family later arrives home from gift shopping, he's torn up the couch.

In one of the dumbest jokes I've seen in a while, Lisa goes in to talk to Homer about it. He's in bed on a tablet, says "I love playing Candy Crush" and then uses the tablet to smash a pile of candy on his nightstand. He later snorts the candy dust.

Lisa suggests they see a dog psychiatrist. They go to a speech and the psychiatrist (Cate Blanchett), whose speech is just "people suck I hate you all dogs are better" and then she hits the audience with a rolled up newspaper.

At some point the dog bites Marge, I wasn't paying too much attention. They take him to a cut rate dog psychiatrist who offers to put him down. The vet reports him as a biter so Chief Wiggum comes to get him to have him put to sleep.

Cate Blanchett rushes back in for no real reason other than plot. She's literally just like "I had a vision I was needed here."

She figures out the dog's got PTSD. The Santa hat is the one Bart was wearing the day they got him (there is a flashback to the pilot episode for some reason), and smelling it set him off. They go to confront the greyhound breeder and Santa's Little Helper plays with his mother as "The Way We Were" plays.

Bad episode. Also, I figured they might jump ahead to like months later at some point, but nope, this was just a Christmas episode.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

:psyboom:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Cape Feare is on right now. I completely forgot about the hilarious "Mr. Thompson" bit. What a show. :unsmith:

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
The unfortunate thing is you can tell they pulled the punch on the ending. The motif of the episode was how dogs perceive the world - clumsily handled, but at least providing a core to do something different production wise. They do a scene where Lisa asks the therapist to help them see through Santa's Little Helper's eyes and she explains that that's just it, dogs experience the world through smell - and we see him sniff around a lamppost while the echoes of everyone who's ever been there play out around him. So at the end of the episode when he runs out to see his mom I was steeling myself that he was running to her grave and her spirit would be bounding around in callback. But no, the mom's just alive and she's napping with the family in the button. Had to have been cut at the last minute.

Daikloktos fucked around with this message at 22:51 on May 18, 2020

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Daikloktos posted:

The unfortunate thing is you can tell they pulled the punch on the ending. The motif of the episode was how dogs perceive the world - clumsily handled, but at least providing a core to do something different production wise. They do a scene where Lisa asks the therapist to help them see through Santa's Little Helper's eyes and she explains that that's just it, dogs experience the world through smell - and we see him sniff around a lamppost while the echoes of everyone who's ever been there play out around him. So at the end of the episode when he runs out to see his mom I was steeling myself that he was running to her grave and her spirit would be bounding around in callback. But no, the mom's just alive and she's napping with the family in the button. Had to have been cut at the last minute.

Yeah I got the same feeling. The way the breeder says "Oh" and tears up when he realizes where the dog is running, and they don't show what he's running toward until the very last minute. It was all pointing toward his mom being dead but then there she is.

Maybe the ending change is why they aired a Christmas episode in May.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

I always hear "who the gently caress watches new Simpsons episodes?" as a rhetorical question, but I find it an interesting serious question. There are the diehard fans, of course. But I just can't see a niche that gives the network reliable ratings, yet it apparently exists.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

PostNouveau posted:

Maybe the ending change is why they aired a Christmas episode in May.
Oh good catch

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Alright I want to know why the gently caress it is that the phrase that got stuck in society’s consciousness is “can’t sleep, CLOWNS (plural) will eat me”

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
It's a beautiuful day in this neighborhood, in the Barbie World.

Or impossibly, "This is the Song That Doesn't End".

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

PinheadSlim posted:

Season 7 is usually when good shows start to show faults. All the way from MASH, to The Simpsons, to The Office it seems to be a normal thing.

The episode I found most egregious was Home Sweet Homediddly-Dum-Doodily where the Flanders become foster parents to the Simpson kids due to incredibly lazy writing. There's some good gags to make up for it, but it really comes off as a storyline written around some good gags.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I hate that episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

iamsosmrt posted:

The episode I found most egregious was Home Sweet Homediddly-Dum-Doodily where the Flanders become foster parents to the Simpson kids due to incredibly lazy writing. There's some good gags to make up for it, but it really comes off as a storyline written around some good gags.

At the very least I love this joke from that episode

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A880UBloIdY&t=20s