Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
Corbyn offers border poll, sinn fean show up and both flags fly over parliament, thumb people burn down london.

E; may 30th, 1381; the taxman arrives in essex and the peasants rise up to end serfdom, killing parliamentarians and bishops in the process

Spangly A fucked around with this message at 22:56 on May 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange sky
May 7, 2007

well that title doesn't sound ominous at all no sir, sounds totally normal

https://twitter.com/KateEMcCann/status/869672647512268800

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

jBrereton posted:

Presumably NI-specific parties (so SF/DUP/Alliance) rather than ones which are allied to current parties like the SDLP (Labour) and UUP (Tories).

Nah that doesn't even add up - that's like 5 at the most not 10

I think they just hosed up

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Kurtofan posted:

is this hope i'm feeling in this thread
L'éspoir, c'est une illusion.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

If Lib Dem end up being king makers again that's a terrible outcome.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

kustomkarkommando posted:

Nah that doesn't even add up - that's like 5 at the most not 10

I think they just hosed up
Big if true.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Kurtofan posted:

is this hope i'm feeling in this thread

I hope not

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Hoops posted:

I was just listening to the breakdown of how all the polls that have Labour only 6-8 points behind are indeed the ones that are taking young people at face value when they say they are 100% certain to vote and I was like "aw gently caress" right in the middle of the Sainsbury's.

Except the YouGov poll, which has a model of voter likelihood completely independent of that

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

I seem to remember when the BBC did the little leader side debate after not inviting the NI leaders to the main debate they showed a little seat projection thing and one of the guys there actually corrected them to say there numbers where all wrong and they didnt actually have any seats and it was quite embarrassing

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Thanks Ants posted:

Is there a precedent in the UK for an early election being called and then the party in power loving it up horribly?

Attlee had a single figure majority so called an election after less than 2 years. Churchill gets in with a more comfortable majority, oops

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Spangly A posted:

Corbyn offers border poll, sinn fean show up and both flags fly over parliament, thumb people burn down london.
Following the trend set by Dominique Venner, Jim Allister shoots himself in the head with a reactivated UVF pistol in St. Paul's.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Prince John posted:

Wasn't the Ruth Smeeth "floods of tears" incident at Labour's anti-semitism enquiry launch due to someone commenting on the fact a Telegraph journalist was handing her a press release? Sadly I think it's not that uncommon, although it seems really short sighted to me, it's not like you'll ever get a fair hearing in that paper as a Labour MP, no matter how far on the right of the party you are.

It's not short-sighted at all if your only intention is to harm Labour's chances at the election. I fully expect to see more anonymous leaks and potentially even outright backstabbing from the Labour right as the press gears up fully for it's continual 'VOTE TORY' scream.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
What if they mumbled the queen bit like Corbyn supposedly did when he joined the privy council?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

blunt posted:

And Tim Farron would still have the look of a man who's just trod in poo poo in clean socks.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Cerv posted:

Attlee had a single figure majority so called an election after less than 2 years. Churchill gets in with a more comfortable majority, oops
tbf he caught a case of the Hillaries because Labour won the popular vote but lost due to FPTP

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

What if they mumbled the queen bit like Corbyn supposedly did when he joined the privy council?

no

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH
It'll be interesting to see the methodology behind that YouGov projection. Assuming there hasn't been an enormous swing in the polls in the past couple days, another possible explanation is instead of piling up votes where they're not needed, Labour could be actually gaining them in marginals?

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Sinn Feins whole thing since like 1917 has been not sitting in the British parliament

Its a big thing, they aren't going to change their minds on this

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Sinn Feins whole thing since like 1917 has been not sitting in the British parliament

Its a big thing, they aren't going to change their minds on this
ah go on, as a 100th birthday surprise

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

jBrereton posted:

L'éspoir, c'est une illusion.

Une mensonge.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

jBrereton posted:

ah go on, as a 100th birthday surprise

read this in mrs doyles voice for maximum effect

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

jBrereton posted:

tbf he caught a case of the Hillaries because Labour won the popular vote but lost due to FPTP

that is indeed quite the gently caress up isn't it.

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

Spangly A posted:

E; may 30th, 1381; the taxman arrives in essex and the peasants rise up to end serfdom, killing parliamentarians and bishops in the process

Thing is with thumb people is that they are the size of thumbs

You just stand on them or use a steamroller innit son?

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

I wonder how the media would react to Labour, propped up by the SNP and Lib Dems passing voting reform.

(Though I assume the House Of Lords would veto it as it wasn't a manifesto pledge).

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

blunt posted:

I swear to god if this happens I'll have to strangle every lib dem I see

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

And Tim Farron would still have the look of a man who's just trod in poo poo in clean socks.

it's his own poo poo

Tesseraction posted:

I swear to god if this happens I'll have to strangle every lib dem I see

even if this means brexit is cancelled?

although I can't conscionably support Tim Farron as leader of anything.

madey
Sep 17, 2007

I saved the Olympics singlehandedly

blunt posted:

I wonder how the media would react to Labour, propped up by the SNP and Lib Dems passing voting reform.

(Though I assume the House Of Lords would veto it as it wasn't a manifesto pledge).

As far as I'm aware Corbyns not for it anyway.

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

Namtab posted:

the war of fear

brb sending to Geoff the cereal lord Johns as the title for a Green Lantern crossover event

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

That 16 seat short thing gets it a bit more interesting if say SF wins FST and South Down, bringing effective majority to 320 - Say DUP gains South Antrim from UUP and loses East Belfast keeping them at 8 (or gains South Belfast bringing the up to 9). Leaves Tories 1-2 seats shy of Majority (DUP would hella confidence May)

In which cause cheeky pro-Brexit labour floor crossers?

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

knox_harrington posted:

it's his own poo poo

:dukedog:

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Just to gently caress with you, ComRes is predicting a 100+ seat Tory landslide.

https://twitter.com/ComRes/status/869585391900401664

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

That'd be career suicide for at least 90% of Labour MPs.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

blunt posted:

The house of Lords has already vetoed cross-party supported voting reform before: In 1930 the Labour-lib Dem coalition passed a voting reform bill and it got vetoed by the House of Lords.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

That 16 seat short thing gets it a bit more interesting if say SF wins FST and South Down, bringing effective majority to 320 - Say DUP gains South Antrim from UUP and loses East Belfast keeping them at 8 (or gains South Belfast bringing the up to 9). Leaves Tories 1-2 seats shy of Majority (DUP would hella confidence May)

Eamonn McCann comes in as their hotshot Brexit negotiator to push em over so long as there's a referendum on capitalism within the 5 years.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Julio Cruz posted:

That'd be career suicide for at least 90% of Labour MPs.

In that scenario you would need like 3 tops

*glances nervously at frank field and kate hoey*

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

It would probably less be "joining the conservatives" and more "providing confidence so a government to enact Brexit can be formed" leading to a whip withdrawal and them sitting as independents in this fantasy realm

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

jabby posted:

Just to gently caress with you, ComRes is predicting a 100+ seat Tory landslide.

There seems to have been quite a bit happened since the 2015 election, I'm not sure how well you can rely on voters behaving the same way.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

jabby posted:

make it stop

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

jabby posted:

who is looking at this election and thinking voters are voting in broadly the same way tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Corbyn is in my constituency on Thursday so I just emailed him to ask if he'd visit my girlfriend who is currently in the mental health unit of the nearby hospital.

I'll keep the thread posted!!!

• Locked thread