Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

I saw the OG Misfits in 2019 and was expecting them to be totally lame and washed up (let’s be real, Danzig is a fuckin dork) but they kicked rear end and that’s one of my favorite concerts to date. Also Doyle is a very large and scary human on stage lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Wanna pet them all, especially that cat who looks very surprised.

That's Minion. She's an exceptionally expressive cat, and hates all men, except me, for some reason. My fiancée didn't believe it until I showed her a photo of her snoozing while curled up around my neck.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Getting carried away getting back into running. Found a summer 5k series that runs every other Saturday and signed up for the whole thing.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

My parents musical taste became frozen in the '80s and early '90s, and that is the music they have played my whole life. They also play Sinatra over family dinners, so I've developed a deep hatred of his sound, as I associate it with conversation I find mostly dull and uninteresting (endless homeowner chat is both boring and depressing when you don't own a home, have no realistic expectation of owning a home, and are deeply cynical about the trappings of American white middle class identity, but I digress). Furthermore, my Dad's favorite ever band is Led Zeppelin, so I am essentially desensitized to them from over-exposure.

I didn't really develop my own musical taste until well into adulthood, and, as mentioned before, it only really blossomed a few years ago, when I finally got in touch with myself for the first time in my adult life (i.e. when I started seriously exploring transitioning LOL, with things really taking off after I began transitioning). I listen mostly to indie rock and pop by queer women: my favorite artists being Courtney Barnett, Caroline Rose, and boygenius.(so, 3 lesbians and two bi ladies). I do; however, have a deep appreciation of David Bowie, Nirvana, and Bjork, among others.

My best friend/ex listens to a lot of interesting stuff, but IIRC her favorite band is Radiohead. My not-going-to-happen-crush's favorite band is The Cure.

I know CSS because Kate Moenig is married to one of the band members...which is absolutely perfect.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

fartknocker posted:

Music Chat:

I got exposed to a wide variety of stuff when I was a very young age. My dad has a massive collection of vinyl going back to the 70s, augmented by CDs once those became a thing, so there were some classics like Led Zeppelin IV, several Doors albums, The Rolling Stones' Sticky Fingers, The Police, but also all sorts of weird stuff like the various versions of King Crimson (Red was and remains a big favorite), Frank Zappa's eclectic discography (Hot Rats is another huge favorite, and due to The Best Band You Never Heard in Your Life, his version of Ring of Fire was the only one I knew until my teens lol), crazy fusion stuff like Return to Forever, and assorted other stuff. My mom added stuff like Queen (The blue Classic Queen and red Greatest Hits CDs were regular staples) and other odds and ends, so somewhere in there was a bit of country (This being the era where people like Garth Brooks and Clint Black were loving massive), some more classic rock (The Guess Who, Bob Seger, that sorta stuff) and more (I know she had a tape of Cracked Rear View cause I think everyone had that).

At the same time (This being the mid-90s), my older brother and cousin were listening to more contemporary stuff, so from them I was getting Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Soundgarden, No Doubt, Green Day, and The Offspring. Pretty sure from them either Frogstomp or Sixteen Stone were the first cassette tapes I was given as my own copies. My cousin specifically was also the first to introduce me to Van Halen (Best Of Vol. 1) and Rush (Moving Pictures), although I'd already heard them on radio, and that started them toward being my two favorite bands. I think the first album I purchased myself was Van Halen's 1984, but we'd already been regularly making mixtapes of stuff we already had. I know there was one that was partially Queen, Van Halen, and some NFL Films music (That came from dad) that became a road trip staple for as long as we had a car with a cassette deck.

Didn't really stumble into metal (Specifically Iron Maiden) until high school, and then all sorts of other weird poo poo on my own.

I first learned about Iron Maiden (one of my favorite bands) when I heard Number of the Beast on some late night radio show in the mid 90s. I thought I was hallucinating lol, this is amazing but what the gently caress is going on??? Couldn’t stop thinking about it but it took me a while to even figure out what it was cause this was long enough ago that the default solution to everything wasn’t just typing it into google. Finally found the name of the band somehow and that led to a whole lot of good content.

Best show I’ve ever seen was Maiden, Dio, and Motörhead at Madison Square Garden like 2003ish. RIP to several real ones

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.
Meet Banana, Loco, Dustbunny, and Mudslide.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Dango Bango posted:

Getting carried away getting back into running. Found a summer 5k series that runs every other Saturday and signed up for the whole thing.

Hell yeah brother

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Docjowles posted:

Best show I’ve ever seen was Maiden, Dio, and Motörhead at Madison Square Garden like 2003ish. RIP to several real ones

Oddly enough, both the best and worst show I've seen was by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds. Best show was at the Chicago Theatre in June 2003, on their Nocturama tour. Blixa Bargeld had just left the band so they had James Johnston on guitar, and he was dynamite. Just an electric show.

Worst was when I saw them in Boston, at the Orpheum, in March 2013. The acoustics of that place are terrible, and they just seemed exhausted and going through the motions. I spent nine hours on a train from Baltimore, and a decent chunk of money for a hotel in loving Cambridge, to go to that show and I was so mad afterwards.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Timby posted:

Oddly enough, both the best and worst show I've seen was by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds. Best show was at the Chicago Theatre in June 2003, on their Nocturama tour. Blixa Bargeld had just left the band so they had James Johnston on guitar, and he was dynamite. Just an electric show.

Worst was when I saw them in Boston, at the Orpheum, in March 2013. The acoustics of that place are terrible, and they just seemed exhausted and going through the motions. I spent nine hours on a train from Baltimore, and a decent chunk of money for a hotel in loving Cambridge, to go to that show and I was so mad afterwards.

I think I only went to a couple shows there despite living in Boston for years cause I’m not really a theatre with seats kind of music person. Saw Tenacious D which was hilarious and the acoustics aren’t gonna make or break that experience. And Billy Corgan’s post Pumpkins group Zwan, which I only went to cause a girl I liked invited me lol

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t

Nervous posted:

Meet Banana, Loco, Dustbunny, and Mudslide.

But which one is Banana???

I saw the Misfits in 1999, my friend and I were mainly there for the opener, it took them like an hour between sets but we waited to give them a chance. It was 1am and I was tired so we just left after they played about 3 songs. I distinctly remember some older guy confronting us about leaving early and called us posers, but we were not there for the Misfits anyway so whatever.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
The Orpheum sucks as a venue regarding acoustics, same as The Middle East.

Here in Portland the Roseland Theater and the Crystal Ballroom are poo poo venues but they get the bands. The Roseland was the venue that would regularly host the Insane Clown Posse and its adjacent band labelmates, so it was easy to see when ICP was in town by the line of Juggalos around the block. I loved that it was such a regular occurrence that a nearby bodega carried Faygo soda.

I do wish I saw a show at Satyricon before it was converted to low-income housing.

Since it's meal prep day I stopped by the farmers market and grabbed some stuff.

2 racks of pork spare ribs and a pork shoulder for Memorial Day weekend.

On the walk back home there was a small in-ground planter in a person's yard that filled up with water, so Fritha took a drink. The neighbor's chicken was wary of the intruder.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Android Apocalypse posted:

The Orpheum sucks as a venue regarding acoustics, same as The Middle East.

Here in Portland the Roseland Theater and the Crystal Ballroom are poo poo venues but they get the bands. The Roseland was the venue that would regularly host the Insane Clown Posse and its adjacent band labelmates, so it was easy to see when ICP was in town by the line of Juggalos around the block. I loved that it was such a regular occurrence that a nearby bodega carried Faygo soda.

I do wish I saw a show at Satyricon before it was converted to low-income housing.

Since it's meal prep day I stopped by the farmers market and grabbed some stuff.

2 racks of pork spare ribs and a pork shoulder for Memorial Day weekend.

On the walk back home there was a small in-ground planter in a person's yard that filled up with water, so Fritha took a drink. The neighbor's chicken was wary of the intruder.

The Crystal Ballroom at least has that floating floor which provides an experience somewhere between “combines with a raucous crowd to elevate the energy of the show” and “deep concern for imminent structural failure”, I saw Ziggy Marley there decades ago where that floor along with the hallucinogens involved made for a pretty entertaining time

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I kinda think Gwar might be the best live show I've seen. I don't listen to Gwar, I have metal head friends that will occasionally play them, but I don't think I've ever personally pushed the play button for a Gwar song, but it was a great show. Circa 2004, they decapitated an Osama Bin Laden puppet, and then when a George HW Bush puppet came out to thank them, they decapitated him too

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I'm at bay to breakers and I'm hosed up. That is all.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Saw Electric Callboy @ Rockville in Daytona last week and that was... honestly one of the most fun shows Ive been to in years.

Redrocks with Pretty Lights is coming up later this year, I expect that to give it competition.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Air Skwirl posted:

I kinda think Gwar might be the best live show I've seen. I don't listen to Gwar, I have metal head friends that will occasionally play them, but I don't think I've ever personally pushed the play button for a Gwar song, but it was a great show. Circa 2004, they decapitated an Osama Bin Laden puppet, and then when a George HW Bush puppet came out to thank them, they decapitated him too

:laffo: that Bush bit is incredible

Play posted:

I'm at bay to breakers and I'm hosed up. That is all.

Unrelated to anything I’m playing the game your avatar is from right now. Did a double take when I saw that cat in game lol

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Docjowles posted:

:laffo: that Bush bit is incredible

It was perfectly timed because I was still raw from 9/11, but had learned enough to know HW was key in setting up the conditions where Al Qaeda did what they did.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 22:43 on May 19, 2024

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Amy Pole Her posted:

Saw Electric Callboy @ Rockville in Daytona last week and that was... honestly one of the most fun shows Ive been to in years.

Redrocks with Pretty Lights is coming up later this year, I expect that to give it competition.

Basically every show I go to at Red Rocks is the best show I’ve seen, it’s just such an outstanding venue and you can tell that pretty much every artist is stoked to play there. Marc Rebillet is going to play there in October and I’m psyched

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Also if the Pacers close this out and eliminate the Knicks on their home court I’m going to laugh forever

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Freaquency posted:

Also if the Pacers close this out and eliminate the Knicks on their home court I’m going to laugh forever

Would like to congratulate the Knicks on never being competitive in game 7 on their home court. Very appropriate

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I am laughing with you and waiting for my upstate New York cousin to text me his glee about NYC based teams making GBS threads the bed in the post season.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Kalli posted:

Would like to congratulate the Knicks on never being competitive in game 7 on their home court. Very appropriate

I liked the part where they gave Knicks fans hope that they’d make the Conference Finals for the first time this century only to pull the rug on them in the funniest way possible

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
May the Rangers similarly fall short in the conference finals this coming week

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

I have already seen the Reggie Miller choke image on social media lmao

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

This clip is 24 years old and somehow still relevant

https://youtu.be/sExOR9iyooE?si=RMMgGyHfdeOjFnYC

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
As a basketball fan, the Knicks had a very good season that was unfortunately cut short one series early by really awful injuries.

As a New Yorker who moved here with well-established fanships in every sport and who halfheartedly roots for the Mets and absolutely nobody else from NYC, watching the natives bitch and moan about this for the next month will be a delight.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I feel like someone is here is either watching or has recently watched Hunt for Red October so just dropping in to say it’s my turn.

We have been watching Jack Ryan and my gf wanted to see the movies too so we’re starting with this one.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

fartknocker posted:

May the Rangers similarly fall short in the conference finals this coming week

:hmmyes:

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Well I feel old. Should I be worried that if I search for Missile Command on Google the very first link is to play it at the AARP???

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
lol I didn't even know AARP had games on their website

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I love it when a D&D session goes overtime and you can hit on every player's needs and wants! It went so dang well.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Joey Freshwater posted:

I feel like someone is here is either watching or has recently watched Hunt for Red October so just dropping in to say it’s my turn.

I’m going to watch it tomorrow, now that it’s been brought up. Perfect movie.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LeeMajors posted:

I’m going to watch it tomorrow, now that it’s been brought up. Perfect movie.

It’s so good, it’s probably been 10-15 years since I’ve seen

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Amy Pole Her posted:

Electric Callboy has to be fun as hell live, especially at an event like that.

I saw Soundgarden at Red Rocks and it was loving glorious.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Joey Freshwater posted:

We have been watching Jack Ryan and my gf wanted to see the movies too so we’re starting with this one.

Most of the movies are better than the show. But that one is maybe the best.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Sniper training scene and convoy rpg attack in clear and present danger are amazing.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen patriot games through start to finish.

FizFashizzle fucked around with this message at 02:40 on May 20, 2024

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Air Skwirl posted:

Most of the movies are better than the show. But that one is maybe the best.

Even that said the show is pretty drat good. At least the first season was anyway

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

Silly Burrito posted:

Well I feel old. Should I be worried that if I search for Missile Command on Google the very first link is to play it at the AARP???

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Silly Burrito posted:

You're not old unless your age is a number that is more eggs than you could eat in one sitting. That's my measuring stick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Quiet Feet posted:

You're not old unless your age is a number that is more eggs than you could eat in one sitting. That's my measuring stick.

So I was old when I was six? drat.