Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Sagebrush posted:

the amount of additional water consumed in a 15 minute shower over a 5 minute shower (or, to put it another way, having a 5 minute shower every day vs twice a week) is about enough to grow five almonds.

five individual almonds.

furthermore, the entire almond market in california (which is most of the world's almonds) is owned by a single billionaire "farmer" family. right now, almonds are irrigated with open trenches, so over 50% of the water that is supplied to the groves simply evaporates. the new laws would require that the trenches be covered with plastic sheets so that this doesn't happen. the billionaire has lobbied insanely hard -- and succeeded -- against these laws, astroturfing it as an unreasonable hardship for the poor little american farmer. so the water just continues to be sucked out of mono lake and the kern county water bank and evaporated into space. because a 90 year old billionaire doesn't want to cut into his profits by buying plastic sheeting.

almonds aren't even necessary. nobody dies because they didn't reach their daily almond intake. many of them are just ground up into almond milk for privileged vegans who are too weak to drink black coffee.

you are doing literally nothing to help with planetary water conservation by becoming a greasy dirtball, tokin. you can choose not to shower if you prefer it that way, but don't delude yourself.

And what is someone supposed to do about it, short of guerilla plastic sheet placement, being a fellow billionaire or Californian politician, or being willing to die for trying to in minecraft the billionaires? Somehow I don't think switching to oat milk (which is the best vegan milk) is going to cut it, and is just voting with your wallet by another name.

The problem is that you don't have a reasonable plan to stop the big issue, but you can stop the small, and the big issues are ultimately problems of the means of production which require a vanguard party and decades of political education and development. So it's going to be decades of 50% water loss, or seconds of deciding to only shower when needed. And we both can and need to do both ASAP.

That said if you are building a vanguard almond party count me in, although I do need to part-time between that and the animal agriculture party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Tesseraction posted:

Oh is that why the right wing media turned on her?

:lmao:

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

credburn posted:

I would be willing to endure another Trump presidency if the tradeoff was no more TikTok garbage. Videos should not be shot in portrait.

bro this isn't the year 2000

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

tokin opposition posted:

Yeah I love it when the state censors a way of expressing anti-genocide beliefs that also contains a massive amount of young people making culture.

For you shower-loving olds, this is like if Bush shut down Tumblr for having too many gay furries.

E: also I still find it obnoxious that people assume the only reason I can have the opinions I do being a bit when they're actually held beliefs. The extremity of a point is not correlated with it's correctness, the philosophical golden mean is for cowards.

maybe if you didn't want to be seen as doing a bit, you wouldn't constantly turn this into the Tokin Opposition's Amerikkka Meme Soapbox Thread instead of the IOSM thread.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I will say that it's taken decades but even diehard chuds will recycle. They don't really complain much about it even. It's just been a part of the conversation for long enough, and relentlessly enough, and supported by enough government and infrastructure to ease friction about it, that recycling is just "something you do".

So even if recycling is pointless theater (and maybe it is), it's a toehold for the idea of being environmentally conscious as just a fact-of-life in the modern world.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Midnight Voyager posted:

maybe if you didn't want to be seen as doing a bit, you wouldn't constantly turn this into the Tokin Opposition's Amerikkka Meme Soapbox Thread instead of the IOSM thread.

ok i'll post content

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If we could find a way to power our society off pure cope then linkedin would make us a kardashev type 3 civilization.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
god, an Endgame quote just to seal the gently caress.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Just like Thanos said, "It's clobbering time!"

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
ironman, btw musk is a real life ironman, he's such an amazing supa science man. im a grown 30/40 something year old man that thinks real life science works like comicbook movies or a adult swim cartoon.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
If Elon Musk was a comic book character that used fancy gadgets he'd be The Green Goblin, not Iron Man.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

Weldon Pemberton posted:

If you have long hair you should be washing it less.

I had hair down to my butt in school and washed it every day. The overwashing made it get greasier and people would tell me I looked like I never washed my hair.

Everyone's hair is different. Some people certianly should not wash it very regularly, but I am not blessed with such.

It goes to my butt (as a 30 y/o white dude this is terrible, I know) and grows straight. And honestly, unwashed, it's dogshit. You could set fire to it.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

kazil posted:

Just like Thanos said, "It's clobbering time!"

You're holding the weight of the trump thread on your shoulders and still finding time to post elsewhere?

Christ you really are a saint and Jeffery should pay you to be here.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The Green Goblin has charisma

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Nobody Interesting posted:

You're holding the weight of the trump thread on your shoulders and still finding time to post elsewhere?

Christ you really are a saint and Jeffery should pay you to be here.

Shh, quiet or they'll disappear like Red

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

credburn posted:

I would be willing to endure another Trump presidency if the tradeoff was no more TikTok garbage. Videos should not be shot in portrait.

go to hell with this poo poo.

media should suit the medium. the medium most people watch stupid tiktok videos on is their phone. portrait videos are properly formatted for viewing on a phone. filming in landscape format is for stuff you are going to watch on a movie or tv screen. vertical filming is perfectly fine these days

also the trump stuff i guess

tokin opposition posted:

The problem is that you don't have a reasonable plan to stop the big issue, but you can stop the small

So it's going to be decades of 50% water loss, or seconds of deciding to only shower when needed.

no, you can't stop the small, because there is no small happening. your personal actions are so miniscule in context that they are statistically nonexistent.

i don't know what sort of dichotomy you think you're making in your second sentence. if everyone in america decided to shower half as much as they currently do, that would compensate for like 0.3% of agricultural water usage. it's meaningless.

i am reminded of a story i was told by a manufacturing lecturer in college.

he was at a trade show where his company (dupont) was promoting how eco-friendly they were (lol). an older lady came up to him and took a styrofoam cup out of her purse. she said to him "i just wanted to show you this...i got this cup on the first day of the conference, and rather than getting a new cup every time i get more coffee, i've been saving this one and refilling it. i'm doing my part to save the planet too!"

he smiled and said thank you, that's great.

he did not have the heart to tell her that at his factory they manufactured similar cups.

the cups are manufactured in a foam injection molding machine with a 12 x 12 grid of mold cavities, so 144 cups are made at a time.

the cycle time is eight seconds. 144 cups every 8 seconds.

the machines ran 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

they had eight machines running in parallel.

this is 4.5 billion styrofoam cups per year from a single factory with a molding floor about the size of a grocery store.

you saving a single cup at your conference for three days is doing nothing. they aren't loving slowing the machines down because you did that.

to reiterate: you can turn yourself into a smelly greaseball if you somehow feel more comfortable that way. be my guest (but don't be in my presence please). but your small action is doing nothing to help the planet. it's just soothing your own mental hang-ups.

Sagebrush has a new favorite as of 18:18 on Apr 26, 2024

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Sagebrush posted:

you saving a single cup at your conference for three days is doing nothing. they aren't loving slowing the machines down because you did that.

No, but if a million other people behave similarly, due to the same kind of environmental factors influencing the same kinds of decisions, it does have an effect.

So too voting

(just devil's advocating here I guess)

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Sagebrush posted:

go to hell with this poo poo.

media should suit the medium. the medium most people watch stupid tiktok videos on is their phone. portrait videos are properly formatted for viewing on a phone. filming in landscape format is for stuff you are going to watch on a movie or tv screen. vertical filming is perfectly fine these days

also the trump stuff i guess

no, you can't stop the small, because there is no small happening. your personal actions are so miniscule in context that they are statistically nonexistent.

i don't know what sort of dichotomy you think you're making in your second sentence. if everyone in america decided to shower half as much as they currently do, that would compensate for like 0.3% of agricultural water usage. it's meaningless.

i am reminded of a story i was told by a manufacturing lecturer in college.

he was at a trade show where his company (dupont) was promoting how eco-friendly they were (lol). an older lady came up to him and took a styrofoam cup out of her purse. she said to him "i just wanted to show you this...i got this cup on the first day of the conference, and rather than getting a new cup every time i get more coffee, i've been saving this one and refilling it. i'm doing my part to save the planet too!"

he smiled and said thank you, that's great.

he did not have the heart to tell her that at his factory they manufactured similar cups.

the cups are manufactured in a foam injection molding machine with a 12 x 12 grid of mold cavities, so 144 cups are made at a time.

the cycle time is eight seconds. 144 cups every 8 seconds.

the machines ran 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

they had eight machines running in parallel.

this is 4.5 billion styrofoam cups per year from a single factory with a molding floor about the size of a grocery store.

to reiterate: you can turn yourself into a smelly greaseball if you somehow feel more comfortable that way. be my guest (but don't be in my presence please). but your small action is doing nothing to help the planet. it's just soothing your own mental hang-ups.

Well gently caress guess I'm wrong.

E: to clarify, this isn't a joke, you have convinced me.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Data Graham posted:

No, but if a million other people behave similarly, due to the same kind of environmental factors influencing the same kinds of decisions, it does have an effect.

So too voting

(just devil's advocating here I guess)

no, if a million other people reuse one styrofoam cup at one conference per year, that is 0.2% of the 4.5 billion cups that the single factory produces in that time. this is my point.

people do not understand the scale of industrial process resource consumption. personal activity has no statistical effect. the push for people to save the planet through personal choices has two purposes: to shift the blame away from industrial processors, and to make people feel good about consuming the outputs of those processes.

if you want to save the planet's fresh water, go blow up a dam.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

BP invented the concept of the "personal carbon footprint" to make YOU feel bad about THEIR oil spills.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

tokin opposition posted:

Well gently caress guess I'm wrong.

E: to clarify, this isn't a joke, you have convinced me.

Now hit the showers. You need it.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Now hit the showers. You need it.

no.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

who is scraeming at me to bathe, I will never bathe.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

tokin opposition posted:

And what is someone supposed to do about it, short of guerilla plastic sheet placement, being a fellow billionaire or Californian politician, or being willing to die for trying to in minecraft the billionaires? Somehow I don't think switching to oat milk (which is the best vegan milk) is going to cut it, and is just voting with your wallet by another name.

The problem is that you don't have a reasonable plan to stop the big issue, but you can stop the small, and the big issues are ultimately problems of the means of production which require a vanguard party and decades of political education and development. So it's going to be decades of 50% water loss, or seconds of deciding to only shower when needed. And we both can and need to do both ASAP.

That said if you are building a vanguard almond party count me in, although I do need to part-time between that and the animal agriculture party.

this is very literally rich people propaganda lol

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011

This is because in the original trailer the outfits on the main character had slightly less fabric.

Mark Kern (aka Grummz on twitter) is in his 50s.

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

"I Guess Somebody Fixed All the Problems" -- Confused Citizen

RubberLuffy posted:

This is because in the original trailer the outfits on the main character had slightly less fabric.

Mark Kern (aka Grummz on twitter) is in his 50s.

Is it that or is it because the release version had some level art that spelled "HARD R SHOP" and that was changed so it's "CRIME R SHOP" now? https://kotaku.com/stellar-blade-ps5-racism-day-one-patch-1851432185

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011

Frosty Mossman posted:

Is it that or is it because the release version had some level art that spelled "HARD R SHOP" and that was changed so it's "CRIME R SHOP" now? https://kotaku.com/stellar-blade-ps5-racism-day-one-patch-1851432185

Who even knows at this point, this desperate attempt to get Gamergate 2.0 going is the saddest poo poo. Kern is so desperate to be the leader of this "new movement"

edit:
haha it literally is just slightly more fabric now

RubberLuffy has a new favorite as of 18:45 on Apr 26, 2024

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you want free stellar blade just pirate it m8 honestly kids these days.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Please use his full title: "Owner of the Firefall Bus" Mark Kern.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I wonder if that guy knows that if he goes certain other places on the internet he can find pictures of ladies who are totally naked. No clothes at all!

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

RubberLuffy posted:

Who even knows at this point, this desperate attempt to get Gamergate 2.0 going is the saddest poo poo. Kern is so desperate to be the leader of this "new movement"

edit:
haha it literally is just slightly more fabric now

the one on the right legitimately looks sexier wtf

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

they covered up her vagina bones :argh:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

How would you even notice oh my god

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011

1stGear posted:

Please use his full title: "Owner of the Firefall Bus" Mark Kern.

I was not familiar with this as I never heard of Kern before this whole hate campaign he's got going now, so I just looked this up. loving wild, I remember playing Firefall for a few days back then and I don't remember it having anything that kept me wanting more.

But possibly spending 3 million dollars on, according to this video I'm watching, a mobile "LAN Party" that is Firefall themed, that missed every promotional event because it was never ready.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Sagebrush posted:

the amount of additional water consumed in a 15 minute shower over a 5 minute shower (or, to put it another way, having a 5 minute shower every day vs twice a week) is about enough to grow five almonds.

five individual almonds.

furthermore, the entire almond market in california (which is most of the world's almonds) is owned by a single billionaire "farmer" family. right now, almonds are irrigated with open trenches, so over 50% of the water that is supplied to the groves simply evaporates. the new laws would require that the trenches be covered with plastic sheets so that this doesn't happen. the billionaire has lobbied insanely hard -- and succeeded -- against these laws, astroturfing it as an unreasonable hardship for the poor little american farmer. so the water just continues to be sucked out of mono lake and the kern county water bank and evaporated into space. because a 90 year old billionaire doesn't want to cut into his profits by buying plastic sheeting.

almonds aren't even necessary. nobody dies because they didn't reach their daily almond intake. many of them are just ground up into almond milk for privileged vegans who are too weak to drink black coffee.

you are doing literally nothing to help with planetary water conservation by becoming a greasy dirtball, tokin. you can choose not to shower if you prefer it that way, but don't delude yourself.

Ya, all this is true

What about the article though? I thought the point is that our skin contains a biome, much like the microbiome in our guts. Constantly washing causes imbalance and can lead to skin problems for some folks. Imo, wash your hair once or twice a week, bathe 4-5x, as needed. I think it's interesting, the biomes, and I wanna help my little skin pals have a nice life.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

We can’t “individual action” our way out of systemic problems. Covid showed us that.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

your personal actions are so miniscule in context that they are statistically nonexistent.

True, comforting, even liberating fact to internalize deeply.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Data Graham posted:

And meanwhile every conservative nods along and parrots Trumpian nonsense about California just "letting all its water run out to sea"

Drives me bugfuck

A river flowing to its mouth is communism.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Ya, all this is true

What about the article though? I thought the point is that our skin contains a biome, much like the microbiome in our guts. Constantly washing causes imbalance and can lead to skin problems for some folks. Imo, wash your hair once or twice a week, bathe 4-5x, as needed. I think it's interesting, the biomes, and I wanna help my little skin pals have a nice life.

You should wash your butthole, pee pee, and teeth at least once every day.

Rest of your body you can skip a day here and there but it's better to at least get in the shower and rinse off the sweat and grime. Personally I do not like getting in bed without showering because (a) i don't like the idea of bringing the dirt of the day into bed, and (b) everything feels softer afterwards.

You don't have to use the RIGHT GUARD MEGA MAN CLEANER soap that dissolves your outer layer of skin, but the people who say you don't need to use soap ever are also wrong. Use a mild soap in moderation.

As hairdressers will tell you, you should not shampoo your hair more than maybe three times a week. But obviously you should wash your hair when it feels greasy or smells or is dirty, regardless.

Hopefully this has been useful information.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

wash bucket posted:

We can’t “individual action” our way out of systemic problems. Covid showed us that.

covid didn't show us anything, we showed covid that we won't let anything change our way of life :911: