Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

https://twitter.com/sushiartstudio/status/1304410435853180930?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

So the other day our youngest, Phobos the ISA Brown, decided she was very interested in the human coop and came in for a little while.

Apparently her adventure was so successful that Sarah (Barred Rock) and Rhys (Cochin) decided they wanted in, too.

Sarah came in for a brief minute, but Rhys missed out because she's a moody one. Just funny seeing how they will influence each other sometimes.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Some other chicks that’s decided they wanted to jump on my hand today

Our blue laced red Wyandotte. She is very pretty

The Excheuquer leghorn, we are really curious as to how her black and white patch patterning will turn out.

The white Cochin chick. She likes to peck your fingers if possible. Friendly little bugger though.

The buff Brahma. We have a buff, a light and a dark Brahma. This one is the friendliest.

The dark Brahma had a respiratory issue the first week so she is half the size as the rest and wasn’t very steady on her feet the first week so we named her Wobbles.

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

:theroni:
Love the chickam pictures.I guess I should contribute too

So we have:

Lilith, the Australorp
Daphne, the Buff Orp
Sweet Dee, the Easter Egger with the light head
Artemis, the EE with the dark head

The EE's faces crack me up, they look like little Civil War generals. :kimchi:

Here's Lilith judging me for forgetting to open the coop yesterday

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

snake and bake posted:

Here's Lilith judging me for forgetting to open the coop yesterday

Oh that's judgement alright.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Our friendliest little dork. She is an Easter egger. Not sure what we are going to name her yet. But she loves being held.

hope and vaseline posted:

Aaaahhhh that is the cutest thing I've seen all day

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

The other Easter eggers we had were named Dragon and Phoenix so my wife named this one Sphinx to keep with flying mythological creature theme for Easter eggers. The Exhequer has been named Checkers (we are super original) and she named the buckeye Bucky. Out of the 15 we have 4 named including Wobbles.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...
in love with chix

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
A week after using permethrin powder and the chickens are LICE FREE!! :boom:

We will check again next week to be super sure. I am just so thrilled! And I’m annoyed that I wasted so much time with the poultry protector spray and obviously didn’t get all the stupid little lice each time.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

it's them

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Quail are so cute

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Quail are so cute
i thought i'd lost friday yesterday (the kookaburras are nesting) but she'd just managed to find her way into the raised vegie patch, where she feasted upon the lettuces

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

fauna posted:

i thought i'd lost friday yesterday (the kookaburras are nesting) but she'd just managed to find her way into the raised veggie patch, where she feasted upon the lettuces

DON'T DO THIS TO US FRIDAY!!!

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

spookygonk posted:

DON'T DO THIS TO US FRIDAY!!!
i'd be so sad if i lost her! hopefully the quapocalypse of 2020 is behind me. i lost eight birds this year :( i haven't had one disappearance since i finally learnt to clip their wings though, and they're still sleeping in a box in my garage, safe from marauding rodents. i... i love them :qq:

newts
Oct 10, 2012
Has anyone ever kept faverolles? I'm in love with their floof, but heard they can be loud. Maybe too loud for my neighbors...

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
Leghorns are “flighty” they say. We have 3 teenaged pearl white leghorns and tonight 2 were roosting 6 feet up in a tree.

Pictured, one naughty Leghorn in front and the golden child in the back.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

newts posted:

Has anyone ever kept faverolles? I'm in love with their floof, but heard they can be loud. Maybe too loud for my neighbors...

The ones I've had have all been pretty quiet, but I also keep screamster eggers.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Joburg posted:

Leghorns are “flighty” they say. We have 3 teenaged pearl white leghorns and tonight 2 were roosting 6 feet up in a tree.

Pictured, one naughty Leghorn in front and the golden child in the back.

cannot get over how they look like the platonic ideal of chicken. white with red combs, daring looks in their eyes, just majestic, perfect

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

StrixNebulosa posted:

cannot get over how they look like the platonic ideal of chicken. white with red combs, daring looks in their eyes, just majestic, perfect

What came first? The chicken or the form of a chicken?

(I got a philosophy degree in 2006 and couldn't forget that bullshit fast enough)

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

My chickens are being noisier than usual today I wonder if egg laying is imminent.
Bonus picture of Sparkles on the chicken playground.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I went out to the coop this morning to give them water and food refill and it was chock full of mosquitoes in there. That can’t be comfortable. Is the best way to get them out of there treating the coop with permethrin?

Also one of my silkies, Salem, always kicks her sister’s rear end anytime I interact with her (the sister). Frida is one that is more of a loner and doesn’t make it back to the coop at night like everyone else which requires me to go scoop her up and put her in there. Cue Salem puffing up to 3 times her size and grabbing a chunk of feathers off her back. She bullies her periodically without me around (I can hear it from inside the house) but my interactions always spur it on. I’ve been trying to figure out the meaning behind the behavior if anyone has any insight.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
[IMMINENT EGG]

You have five nest boxes! FIVE!

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Halloween Jack posted:

[IMMINENT EGG]

And yet a perfect nesting pile is right there, ready for them

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Halloween Jack posted:

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
4 of my Orpingtons like to walk waaay down the hill, like 400 feet, to lay their eggs in the goat shelter. Silly chickens.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

today i thought i'd lost rickie but again, veggie patch, lettuces

only three of them have ever been able to get up there, so i like to think it's this mythical promised land that they whisper about to the others

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

StrixNebulosa posted:

with one foot ready to tip the food bucket to spill it everywhere

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

Enfys posted:

with one foot ready to tip the food bucket to spill it everywhere

I need a heavier bowl. :sigh:

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

not just one but several of my neighbours have acquired roosters. i live in the middle of the city and all through the day i hear crowing from multiple directions lmao. in honour of all the posters itt who've had to give up their beloved birds due to noise complaints, i will never ever snitch

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

i love to hear the shout of strong men

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Glorious. Just...glorious.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Captain Log posted:

Glorious. Just...glorious.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
Front Yard Turkeys?

There's a young turkey that lives in my new neighborhood. The first time I saw it, it was in a crosswalk blocking traffic. It's apparently flockless and spends most of it's time alone. Saw it with another turkey the other day, but it looks like it went solo again for whatever reason.

Apparently my bedroom window is a great place to dust bathe. Turkeys make really weird noises when they dust bathe. I moved the rocks out of the way but the ground was too moist for dust bathing, plus I think I spooked it taking pictures earlier today.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

MisterOblivious posted:

Front Yard Turkeys?
yes please!!
what a sweet face :kimchi:

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Obviously a goon turkey that can't keep friends.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

4K 120FPS turkey images

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

fauna posted:

i love to hear the shout of strong men

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

ok I'm not that strong

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

fauna posted:

not just one but several of my neighbours have acquired roosters. i live in the middle of the city and all through the day i hear crowing from multiple directions lmao. in honour of all the posters itt who've had to give up their beloved birds due to noise complaints, i will never ever snitch

Someone in my neighborhood has a rooster, which isn't allowed here either. I hear him crowing at any random hour of the day or night. Doesn't bother me. I wish I knew who has him just because I'd love to see him.

Edit: ps, you have the most adorable birds ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

I installed a big fancy new perch in my chicken coop today. Hours later, the chickens remain deeply suspicious of it.