Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

mod sassinator posted:

:shrug: Regardless I still think it's a crap user experience to waste time with this stuff in the foreground. If optimization from the very start is so darn important, why doesn't Google cache the precompiled binaries for important devices (like the Nexus devices they build!) in their cloud and just download precompiled binaries from the start?

The precompiling takes all processing power your device has (that's why they heat up quite a lot during it). You wouldn't like the user experience while the device is basically running at 100 % with a background process. So you're force to wait a few minutes to half an hour (if you have 200+ Apps installed like me), which seems fine to me - but I simply take another device or do something else instead of waiting for it to finish because I'm not glued to my device or get withdrawal symptoms if I don't have a screen in my hand for 10 minutes.

Pre-Compiling for a fictional device wouldn't work and cause more problems than it solves. Apple controls a lot tighter than Google what their device are/make sure the system is the same on every one and even they can't do it without doing it on the device itself.

Decius fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Dec 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Why wouldn't downloading precompiled and optimized apps works?

It's pretty crazy to think how many millions of Android devices are spinning away wasting power to do the exact same precompilation. Google already has to store every single app in their app store, it's not insane to make copies of the binaries that are precompiled for the most popular architectures and devices. They have hundreds of petabytes of storage for their web crawling, etc. I would bet the total size of everything in the Android app store is on the order of tens of terrabytes at most. Adding a few copies of binaries would be a rounding error.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Maybe they'll worry about it when the number of devices using ART is more than a tenth of a percent. Or maybe they can worry about it when they fix things that we use daily instead of something that already works properly and takes a few extra minutes a few times a year.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Before Android had to recompile ART binaries, it had to optimize dexes. Windows updates need to "configure updates" after a reboot. Even on Linux, after the new packages are installed the package manager does reconfiguration and cleanup. System updates take some time, always, on every device and on every operating system.

Decius posted:

I simply take another device or do something else instead of waiting for it to finish because I'm not glued to my device or get withdrawal symptoms if I don't have a screen in my hand for 10 minutes.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
You guys don't get it. When I turn on my tablet, I'm not using a device, I'm having an experience. And that experience is ruined if I have to wait 5 minutes for some files recompiling after an update. My experience is ruined!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Guys I have to put down my tablet and browse on my phone for 5 minutes. Stupid Android.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

You guys don't get it. When I turn on my tablet, I'm not using a device, I'm having an experience. And that experience is ruined if I have to wait 5 minutes for some files recompiling after an update. My experience is ruined!
I realize you're all shooting for hyperbole now, but it sort of is ruining the experience. A big driver for tablet sales is their "instant on" appeal compared to booting up a laptop/PC. Taking away instant gratification is a poor approach from a design standpoint, though I guess right now it's just restricted to updating the OS and installing new apps. This specific change doesn't seem like a deal breaker, but it should be a foremost concern for mobile OS designers.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Put it this way, if you had the choice between two tablets that were exactly the same but one that took an hour to update every few weeks (these are 0.0.x releases that are requiring full recompilation!) or one that never bitched about updates and made it all happen in the background silently (like Chrome, CoreOS, etc.) which one would you choose? Of course you'd go for the better experience.

This is purely a technical issue, one that Google claims to be amazing at solving with its cadre of 'rockstar' engineers. The fact that I ever have to see or be aware of an update (beyond stuff like giving an approval for new functionality that requires new access) is a bug IMHO. In ~5 years I guarantee none of the major mobile devices will make updates something people can even control or stop.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

It's a god drat update it's going to take some time jesus gently caress. The Nexus 5 has been out for a year and has had 5 updates so even if it takes an hour to update (it doesn't) it's only once every 10 weeks. When I updated my Nexus 7 to 5.0.1 I went and made a sandwich and when I came back it was done.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

butt dickus posted:

It's a god drat update it's going to take some time jesus gently caress.
Calm down, pal. We can discuss this like adults.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

It's not any fun if I can't be mad about it.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

In any case, suppose you're a program manager on the Android project.

There is an endless litany of Android bugs and feature requirements that cost users' time on a daily basis. There's also this thing where every 10 weeks on average people have to wait a few minutes for an update, and a few more minutes for ART to chew on their apps.

When it comes to scheduling engineers' time, which is going to take precedence?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

One thing to note is your tablet IS continually updating in the background, silently, without you knowing about it. That's the Google Play Services update and more functionality is coming from those updates week to week than any forklift OS version update.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

OS updates do not come out every few weeks. Like most of this thread, I've had Nexus devices for about as long as there has been Nexus devices. Having a 5 minute "reboot for updates" every 3-4 months does not ruin the appeal of an instant-on device. I'm almost afraid to find out everyone's opinion on app updates.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

With the slight exception of the project manager, I'm not sure why it's so hard to just ignore the update until you're ready to put the thing away for awhile *then* hit the update button. Certainly for 0.0.1 updates, it's never going to be anything that will completely change your experience.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

mod sassinator posted:

Why wouldn't downloading precompiled and optimized apps works?
They could make it work for Play Store apps. I don't know how much space ART binaries take up, but if you did have a lot of apps installed, "system updates" would probably get significantly larger and, possibly take quite a bit longer to download. There's risk of running out of /cache too (although, just don't prefetch updates when that happens). Folks also don't always have WiFi and might prefer to eat the upgrade time cost than waste their data plan. There would also have to be a closer tie-in between OTA and the Play Store app.

There's also a real risk of this breaking if the AOT compiler is different, and incompatible, on device as compared to what Google uses for the store binaries. Not sure about ART, but in Dalvik days there were sometimes non-trivial changes to Dalvik made by SoC vendors compared to what Google released in AOSP. Not that this is intractable, but it's a risk they'd have to accomodate.

So, basically, there's challenges in doing it. Of course, it can be done and maybe they will someday.

Also sideloaded apps would still have to be updated on device, hopefully that's not the majority of everyone's apps.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

pairofdimes posted:

You'd think the origami cover would be the easier one to produce, so something really must have gone wrong with the entire batch.

The Origami cover is now available for purchase on the HTC Nexus 9 website.

Scroll down to accessories (third dot on their goofy Web 2.0 navigator thing on the right) and click on "soft shell case".

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Rastor posted:

Scroll down to accessories (third dot on their goofy Web 2.0 navigator thing on the right) and click on "soft shell case".

Cool, hopefully play and amazon get theirs soon.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Rastor posted:

Wow, they'll sell a bunch of those since they've basically hidden it.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Rastor posted:

Yeah, but only the red/pink one is available.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
So, uh, i still don't have Android L on my Nexus 7 - 2013... what percentage of users should have the update by now?

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Mister Fister posted:

So, uh, i still don't have Android L on my Nexus 7 - 2013... what percentage of users should have the update by now?

Do you have the LTE model? Mine doesn't have the update either and the LTE one usually takes a while.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Geektox posted:

Do you have the LTE model? Mine doesn't have the update either and the LTE one usually takes a while.
Yeah it should be out in another two months.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Geektox posted:

I have the non-LTE version, it's my understanding that the rollout takes a while and it's a random thing if you get it or not, but i would have thought most people have gotten it by now. Oh well. I was just wondering if there's a table as to what percentage of people should have it by now.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

Mister Fister posted:

I have the non-LTE version, it's my understanding that the rollout takes a while and it's a random thing if you get it or not, but i would have thought most people have gotten it by now. Oh well. I was just wondering if there's a table as to what percentage of people should have it by now.

I just got mine on Monday or Tuesday and my dad got his the day after so it's definitely still rolling out.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Mister Fister posted:

Maybe a slight delay to just go straight to 5.0.1?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Mister Fister posted:

I sideloaded the OTA as soon as it became available (because I am impatient).

Anyway skipping 5.0 wasn't necessarily a bad thing because it was all kinds of broken on the N7. 5.0.1 performs much, much better on that device.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

The Merkinman posted:

Maybe a slight delay to just go straight to 5.0.1?

I had to the update on my N7 2013 for the last few days. I tried updating but it got a fun error message so still waiting to see if Google will fix it before the NYE. IIRC users have been exp a uncommon number of problems so I don't think you're missing out on much.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
So apparently the LTE modem in the Nexus 9 is a bolt on radio, not one intergrated into the chipset, I wonder what kind of blow that is going to take to battery life.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

TraderStav posted:

I'm constantly having touchscreen issues on both KitKat and Lollipop on my '13 N7. Pretty sure it's a well known issue in the hardware.

Yeah, it's some kind of grounding issue on the Nexus 7 2013 where the screen just goes absolutely loving nuts sometimes and thinks you're pressing when you're not. Makes drawing things with it hard. :/

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Three Olives posted:

So apparently the LTE modem in the Nexus 9 is a bolt on radio, not one intergrated into the chipset, I wonder what kind of blow that is going to take to battery life.

NVIDIA strikes again. :v:

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Three Olives posted:

I don't understand why it is so hard for two of the biggest chip tech companies - Nvidia and Intel - to integrate a loving LTE-modem on their chips. Intel took 5 years until they finally managed it.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Decius posted:

I don't understand why it is so hard for two of the biggest chip tech companies - Nvidia and Intel - to integrate a loving LTE-modem on their chips. Intel took 5 years until they finally managed it.

I'd imagine its a patent nightmare. Even with FRAND licensing for essential patents its probably a hassle.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

maskenfreiheit fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Apr 28, 2019

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Drivers.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
My name is Eric. I watch this show that has basically become a 45 minute period where I wonder what happened to Laurel's face.

And the Confused flashes on the screen with Laurel's dedicated face behind it.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

maskenfreiheit fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Apr 28, 2019

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Why are you connecting a cable to your tablet? There's pretty much never a reason to outside of fastboot.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

LastInLine posted:

Why are you connecting a cable to your tablet? There's pretty much never a reason to outside of fastboot.

Because wireless is slow you big nerd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
e: nah

Vykk.Draygo fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Dec 13, 2014